Creepin' Shadows

By KYNDIOR

Book #5 of the Love & Trauma series. More

CREEPIN SHADOWS
𝐎𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆
1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
epilogue

2

3K 333 91
By KYNDIOR

— ♥ —

               Shantey's remake of Nat King Cole's "The Christmas Song" played around the recording studio at her office in Encino. The blue LED lights offered the tranquil vibe that combined with orange baffle absorbers and the white, leather couch that Shantey sat on. She was currently breastfeeding Azoni, with the nursing covering blocking the sight, and her Milano Di Rouge high waisted leggings covered crossed legs and her curly hair in a messy bun.

               She bobbed her head to her rendition of the Christmas song with it offering the contemporary R&B and hip-hop ethos. She hummed along with her warm, alluring vocals, as the studio door opened and captured her gaze. She smiled at the sight of her mother figure, Heather Gutierrez, with her golden tan skin and long, curly brown hair pushed back in a ponytail and Adidas cap covering the top of her head.

               Heather's stout stature dressed in a yellow stripe maxi dress and brown sandals, with her prescription eyeglasses over her brown eyes. She smiled herself at the sight of her daughter. "Hey honey. This a new song?"

               "Hi, Mommy." Shantey hugged Heather that bent down, "Yeah it's new. How'd you know I was here?"

               Heather sat down on the couch with her tote purse beside her. "Couldn't reach you. And I know when that happens you're in the studio. My new grand baby done eating?"

               Shantey checked under the burping blanket to check on Azoni. "Yeah, he's finished." She fixed her Tom and Jerry graphic boyfriend T-shirt before removing the burping blanket to uncover the newborn that slept.

               Heather cooed instantly. "Aww, look at him!" She rubbed in hand sanitizer, placing the baby blanket across her chest before cradling Azoni in her arms. "He's so handsome."

               Shantey checked her phone that was on do not disturb and seen the numerous calls and texts from Heather as she turned off the studio song. "Yeah, my phone was on DND to focus on finishing these records."

               "How many have you done?" Heather asked, placing Azoni tummy-down across her lap sideways and securely held him with one hand and patting his back with the other.

               "Three," Shantey locked her phone and put it down to put her attention on her mother figure. "A duet with Usher, a feature with Ty Dolla, and the song you heard playing."

               "Getting busy huh?"

               "I took a much needed hiatus from music to work on the baby gear line with Amanda and just wanting a stress-free pregnancy with Azoni. Now, it's back to the money."

               "And how are you juggling all this skyrocketing career and the kiddos?"

               "Well, for the past few days I have been doing it. . . . it honestly has not been as easy as I presumed." Shantey spoke candidly. "Azoni is hungry nonstop; especially at night. I'm up at three in the morning feeding him and staying up with him. I can barely go back to sleep with Cruz and Boogie having to be up and ready at six to be to school before seven-thirty. I don't want to put it on Romeo taking them because it's not his responsibility to do that. Tae is gone before be with Seona taking her to his mother's to go handle his businesses."

               "Doing that, barely sleeping, and having to pull all-nighters in the studio, that's not healthy, mija." Heather apprised, "You can't do that to yourself. Have you thought about asking for assistance, like a nanny?"

               "Tavon suggested it, but I said no." Shantey said, "I don't want no stranger bonding with my Azoni. Or any of my children. I had them, so I'm not trying to push my kids on nobody else. Plus, Cru is too hardheaded to be around some stranger. He don't mind nobody, but his family and Dad. He and Boogie fight a lot and I don't want no stranger losing control and hit mines because I'm killing a bitch. No joke."

               Heather chuckled lightly. "No, you're right about that. But you need help either way, Shantey. I know Cruz and Boogie are in Jersey every weekend but there's still Romeo, Seona, and Azoni here seven days a week. All five on weekdays. What if you don't have a stranger watch your kids? This is where family comes in. You know Papi finally retired last month and we'll have all the free time in the world. We'll enjoy our grandchildren's company."

               "Papi retiring is for you and him to finally travel. Not having babies running around. You're kids are grown and it's time for y'all to live in peace."

               "I have traveled more than enough in my life, mija." Heather stated, "Papi and I love having the grandchildren around. We keep Samuel for Tayler everybody while she's at work. That's what grandparents are for."

               Shantey appeared thoughtful. "I. . . don't mind. I just don't want too much to be on you and Papi. That will be a nine year old, three toddlers and a newborn. The three toddlers that love to play all day. Romeo goes to his uncle's to be with his cousin's after school, so he's fine."

               "And that's why I have playrooms and a backyard to entertain them. Let me and Papi handle this. We know what we doing." Heather said, which makes her and Shantey chuckle in unison. "I raised three rowdy, loudmouthed kids in my time. I got this. Trust me. Shoot me their schedules and I'll handle it from there."

               "Okay, Mommy," Shantey gave in. "At least with Azoni, I want to keep him with me for a few more weeks with breastfeeding. After the first month, I'll start pumping and you can watch him too so I won't have him around work settings."

               "See how easy that was?"

               "I know, Mommy." Shantey chuckled, "I hate putting my kids on people. I'm definitely not doing that to Romeo; him being the oldest or not, because I've been there—the eldest being the parent to the younger siblings. I want him to enjoy his teen years without that responsibility."

               "I understand. But I'm offering, so you're not putting the kids off on me. Don't be feeling that way either. They'll be in good hands. I know as mother's we love trying to take on everything without assistance and have too much pride to ask for help. I was the same way, so I get it. But you're overwhelmed, so I'm stepping in as the grandparent and helping you and Tavon."

               "Well, thank you, Mommy." Shantey said sincerely.

               "Of course, mija." Heather replied, raising Azoni to lay on her shoulder and in a baby voice she says, "Tell mommy everything will be fine with Abuelo and Abuela."

               Shantey smiled softly, watching her mother figure interact with Azoni.

               Spending time with Heather prolonged until she left and Shantey handled the last of her business before heading it to the Hollywood Hills home. She pushed the bassinet attached stroller with Rose Gold frames towards the front door, carrying the nude colored diaper bag on her shoulder. Being seen approaching, the door opened to the pregnant woman with brown sugar skin and hazel eyes stood on the other side, smiling welcomingly.

               "Hey, Anicia." Shantey smiled, greeting her soon-to-be sister in-law. Even with her about to marry Toby, she knew Anicia through the music industry with being a well-known songwriter. They even penned hit songs with each other. A work relationship naturally turned into a real friendship.

               "Hey girl." Anicia returned, opening the door wider for the baby's stroller to push to through. Shantey stopped briefly to hug her.

               "Look at that belly." Shantey chuckled softly, rubbing Anicia's visible pregnant belly poking through the fabric of her shirt. "How far along are you now?"

               "Twenty-five weeks today, honey." Anicia shut her front door, "I'm not as big but my doctor telling me I'm may blow up towards the very end."

               "Mine was like that with Cruz. You nothing but stomach, though. No face gain or nothing."

               "Let's not speak too soon." the women shared a short laugh, "I love that bag and stroller."

               "This all from me and my best friends baby gear line. Don't even trip. I'm gone bless you."

               "Please do; it's so nice and elegant." Anicia said, as the women turned into the living room that was occupied by three other women; one woman unfamiliar to Shantey. "Now that everyone's here. Shantey, this my sister, Arlene."

               Shantey acknowledged her niece in-law, Lotus, and her brother in-law's wife Amaury first before laying her eyes on the almond skin toned woman, with her thick hair bone straight and falling passed her shoulders. Her posture and appearance was so elegant and classy it pretty much took Shantey back because the Anicia she knows is the complete opposite—the embracing her natural hair, boyfriend tees, and sneakers.

               Shantey shook her hand. "Nice meeting you, Arlene."

               "Likewise," her smile was brief before drinking on her mimosa.

               Shantey felt the dismissive vibe coming off Arlene, and chuckled inwardly. She left it alone and put her attention on Lotus that asked her a question, "Can I hold him? I sanitized my hands already."

               "Girl of course. You can have him, too." Shantey said jokingly as Lotus eased Azoni out his bassinet.

               Lotus chuckled. "Don't play because I'm a baby lover."

               "Do you want anything to drink?" Anicia asked Shantey, "I have more mimosas, but with you breastfeeding I have other stuff."

               "If you have tea. That's fine." Shantey replied, making her nod and travel to the kitchen open to the living room. "Where's the baby?"

               Amaury looked at Shantey after the question left her lips. "He's with my Mom chile. I needed a break."

               "Honey, I understand."

               "You're the Shantey's wedding my sister attended months ago, right?" Arlene wondered and when she received a head nod in confirmation she says, "And your husband is Toby's brother, the middle one?"

               "No, she's the wife of the middle brother; De'Aundre." Shantey gestured to Amaury, "I'm the baby brother's wife; Tavon."

               "Hm, interesting." Arlene sipped on her drink, as Shantey and Amaury raised brows in unison and looking at each other just as Anicia returned with the glass of tea.

               Shantey thanked Anicia once retrieving the cup. "Don't you have another sister?"

               "Yeah, she—"

               "Won't be attending," Arlene finished for Anicia. "She was a bridesmaids but you'll be taking her spot, considering."

               Shantey's eyebrow knitted at the mention of taking the bridesmaid spot and Anicia says, "Thanks a lot Arlene. I haven't asked her yet."

               Arlene shrugged slightly as Anicia rolled her eyes before staring at Shantey. "That's why I called you over. I planned to ask you but I didn't know how you'd feel after having the baby. I know the wedding isn't until February but you still might've not been in the mood."

               "Oh, of course. I'd love too." Shantey accepted the bridesmaid position, removing the stress on Anicia's shoulders. "How is the wedding planning going anyway?"

               "Good, but stressful." Anicia admits, sitting on the chair. "Toby's trying to take as much off my plate as he can, but his career is growing with his brother's, so I'm kinda doing most of it. It's going to be Harlem Renaissance themed. So the guest will have a dress code."

               "That's nice," Shantey referred to the theme. "And trust me I get the whole husband getting busier thing. Planning a wedding is very stressful especially when you're tryna get it all together within a few months. Two for y'all. Me and Tavon's was the same way. Our wedding planner was great with getting everything ready in a short amount of time. I'll gladly pass over the information."

               "Please do," Anicia responded desperately. "The wedding planner I thought about using was great but she's wanting us to wait a whole year and Toby was not with that. As soon as she said it, he stood us up and left without the woman being able to say anything else."

               Shantey and Amaury laughed. "That sound like Toby."

               "Now I see where De'Aundre gets the I-don't-give-fuck attitude from." Amaury says before sipping more of her mimosa.

               "Figures..." Shantey overheard Arlene's mumble with her sitting not too far away. "What's the rush to get married? Y'all just got engaged barely two months ago."

               "Everyone doesn't stay engaged for years." Shantey spoke, eying Arlene. "They have been knowing each other long enough and love each other. No reason to waste more days than they already have."

               "Thank you, Shantey." Anicia agreed.

               "Shit, I can't judge nobody. I got married in a prison." Amaury bluntly said, laughing, which makes everyone join in besides Arlene that felt it was tacky. "Do y'all thang."

               "And don't be too stressed, Mama. Our school's break is coming up and will be able to help with everything you need." Lotus assured her mother she's grown extremely close to throughout the last few months.

               "And you know I can help." Amaury said.

               "I have two kids, skincare line, and a divorce to focus on. I can't. The dress fitting all I can do." Arlene spoke carelessly.

               Noticing the defeated expression on Anicia's face, Shantey petty side slipped out, "And I have five with a busy month but I got you. Anything you need my help with let me know."

               Amaury stopped her chuckle from slipping out by sipping on her drink, and Anicia could already feel the tension building between her sister and Shantey. She could only hope it didn't escalate from the petty remarks to something more drastic.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

205K 21.7K 49
Book #2 of the Love & Trauma series.
359K 35.3K 60
Book #1 of the Love & Trauma series.
Her Moonchild By lumpia

General Fiction

74.9K 3.3K 20
What if you fall in love with someone else's fan? Book 5 of Secret Series Formerly Wrong Fan