Adorable

By Evelyn_Esher

❛❛The girl and the two boys. What happens when love enters the picture.❜❜ Sophie, Fitz, Keefe. Oblivious, per... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1 | Runaway Kisses
Chapter 2 | Runaway Kisses
Chapter 3 | Custard Bursts & Kisses
Chapter 4 | The Meltdown
Chapter 5 | Found Out
Chapter 6 | Homework Kisses
Chapter 7 | Homework Kisses
Chapter 8 | Base Quest & Breakups
Chapter 9 | Kelpies at Sunrise
Chapter 10 | Goodbye
Chapter 11 | Girl Talk & Dad Talk
Chapter 12 | Girl Talk & Dad Talk
Chapter 13 | New Rules
Chapter 14 | Showdown
Chapter 15 | Keefe
Chapter 16 | Water Tricks
Chapter 17 | Water Tricks
Chapter 18 | Stina Heks
Chapter 19 | Eavesdropping
Chapter 19 | A Much-Needed Conversation
Chapter 20 | Nightmares and Enemies
Chapter 21 | Nightmares and Enemies
Chapter 22 | Broken
Chapter 24 | It Better Be
Chapter 25 | First Date
Chapter 26 | First Date
Chapter 27 | Keefe
Chapter 28 | Swimming
Chapter 29 | Sir
Chapter 30 | Stupid
Chapter 31 | With My Life
Chapter 32 | Engaged!
Chapter 33 | Wedding
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 23 | Broken

4K 34 25
By Evelyn_Esher

A/N Sorry I didn't update! I was busy reading the After series by imaginator1D. It's so good! But, on to the story! Also, 2K views?! Already!? Thank you!

When Sophie walked in on Keefe tied to a chair, bleeding and barely conscious, with a knife to his throat, only one thought ran through her head.

Not again.

His mother didn't get to do this again. Hurt him like this. He looked so defeated, but also defiant, like he knew it was hopeless for himself but was determined to make sure no one else got hurt. Make sure she didn't get hurt. And it nearly broke her heart.

Sophie would forever be glad she had stayed with Sandor. Only his quick action saved them. But... Lady Gisela and the other figure had gotten away. But no, none of that mattered. Keefe's mind was broken.

*****

Keefe? Keefe? Keefe, please answer. I need you to come back. Keefe?

Sophie had been transmitting for the better part of an hour. She hadn't gotten any reaction. She felt a tap on her shoulder.

"Sophie, we should wait until his mind has settled some. I'm sorry, but he isn't strong enough yet." The voice barely registered. Sophie pushed it away, and dove back into Keefe's mind.

Keefe? Keefe, I don't know if you can hear me. Please don't give up. I will help you, I promise. But we have to wait until you're stronger. So rest, and don't give up. I love you, Keefe. Stay strong for me. She saw his thoughts spiraling, and realized she was seeing his guilty memories. NO, KEEFE! STOP IT. Don't you dare feel guilty. You didn't do anything wrong. I'm fine, you're fine, everyone's fine. I promise. Just keep yourself together a little longer. His thoughts calmed a little. Good, Keefe. That's right. Just sleep now. Sleep and rest. I can help you soon. I love you.

Sophie pulled away from his mind, sobbing. Arms held her and voices comforted her, but she barely noticed. Keefe was broken. Broken. And judging by his memories, it had been from guilt over her. Her fault.

Suddenly a sharp pain on her face brought Sophie to her senses. Her vision cleared enough to see Mr. Forkle standing over her. "Sophie, snap out of it right now. It is not your fault Mr. Sencen is broken. He gave into his guilt, and you must keep yourself together. Even if it's just to save him, keep the guilt out of your mind."

Sophie shook her head to clear the fuzziness, putting her hand to her cheek. "Did you slap me?"

"Only because your thoughts were spiraling desperately. We were afraid we'd lose you. It was the only way to wake you up."

Sophie nodded, then sat up quickly. "Where's Keefe?"

"Right beside you. You were holding his hand so tightly we couldn't separate you."

Sophie looked down to find that, indeed, her fingers were intertwined with Keefe's. "Is he ready?"

Mr. Forkle looked reluctant, but he nodded. "Yes. But I'm not sure-"

Sophie didn't even let him finish before she dived back into Keefe's mind.

Keefe, they say you're strong enough. I'm going to heal you now. But you need to trust me.

I trust you, Sophie.

Sophie nearly cried in relief. Keefe! You can hear me! I wasn't sure. Okay, I'm going to heal you now, but I need you to remember one thing. Ready?

Yes.

Okay. Just think this to yourself: It's not my fault. Repeat it with me. It's not my fault.

It's not my fault. It's not my fault. It's not my fault. Sophie said it with him, and gathered her emotions. Happiness, and relief at his being conscious, and peace, and love. So much love. For her parents, for her friends, for her human family... and for him. So much love for him that Sophie didn't even realize she felt. Sophie watched as the emotions pulsated out from her, fixing the cracks and gluing Keefe back together.

Sophie?

Keefe. You're better now. But you're not ready to wake up. Just rest. Sleep. I'll be right here when you wake up. I love you.

Sophie pulled out of his mind, nodded once to the questions around her, and fell fast asleep.

*****

Sophie was woken by a slight pressure on her hand. She stirred awake, stretching out her other arm and yawning. Then she realized her hand was still entwined with Keefe's. She turned towards him and locked her eyes on his. He was finally awake!

"Keefe!" Sophie let go of his hand and hugged his neck tightly. He wrapped his arms around her waist and hugged her back, tight like he'd never let go. Sophie nestled her face into his warm neck and whispered. "I missed you."

"I saw you every second." His voice was so nice to hear, whole and perfect, that Sophie barely heard the words. "I never looked away. Your face was the only thing that kept me together. Thank you for saving me."

"Thank you for trusting me."

"So you're not mad?"

Sophie pulled back a little, shocked. "I never want to hear you say that again. You need to quit blaming yourself this instant."

"Look who's back to being bossy." He smirked, and Sophie nearly melted. This was a real smirk, not one hiding his real feelings.

"Keefe. Your guilt broke your mind. I'm allowed to tell you to not blame yourself."

"You're allowed to tell me whatever you want to tell me." He whispered, his intense stare locking on her eyes.

Sophie could barely breathe. "There's only one thing I want to tell you right now."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah." She stared a moment longer. "I lo-" Keefe didn't let her finish the word. He put one hand on her waist and cradled her face in the other, tangling his fingers in her hair. Then he pressed his lips to hers.

Sophie kissed him back immediately, only then realizing how much she'd missed having him hold her like this. He seemed to falter at her kiss, but then moved his hand behind her head and pulled her in even closer. Sophie didn't know how long the kiss lasted, but she never wanted it to end. All wrapped up in Keefe's arms, she felt as safe as she'd ever been. She touched his face gently, accidentally brushing one of his cuts with her fingers. She pulled back.

"Sorry."

"Don't be. I'm fine. Better than fine." Keefe pulled her closer so that she was tucked under his arm and clenching his hand as Elwin came in and set a tray of elixirs in front of him. They talked for a minute, but Sophie only paid attention when Keefe's voice grew strained. She squeezed his hand reassuringly.

When Elwin gave him the elixirs, Sophie saw Keefe's reluctance to let go of her. So she asked Elwin to unscrew the tops, and tipped the vials one by one into his mouth.

Sophie didn't want to ruin the moment, but she had to make sure he was okay. "So..." she said slowly. "How much do you remember?"

"Actually, not a lot. I remember feeling extra bad that day- I'd had a nightmare-"

"Ro told me about those." she interrupted. Why didn't you tell me? You seemed so normal."

"Yeah, I guess I got a little too good at pretending I was fine. But I didn't want to upset you over some stupid bad dreams."

"Those weren't just bad dreams, Keefe. I looked at Ro's memories. You were... seriously messed up. And how could you even look at me when you were watching me either die or kiss Fitz every night?" When Ro had told Sophie about his nightmares, she nearly broke herself. Or screamed. Right now, she was thinking of screaming.

"It was... hard sometimes." Keefe admitted reluctantly. "But seeing you was the only thing that convinced me it wasn't real. That morning, when I looked too awful to go to school, I just kept getting worse. Until my mom walked in, and... you know the rest."

"Not really. I can guess that she wanted me, but..."

Keefe cut her off. "Can we not talk about it right now? I'm not quite ready."

She softened. Of course he wouldn't want to talk about it. He had been basically tortured by his mom, and then his mind had broken. "Okay. Sorry. Whenever you're ready."

Keefe smiled weakly at her. "Thanks."

She let him hold her, comfortably wrapped up in each others' arms. It wasn't a bit awkward. Sophie felt his heart beating beside her and his breath on her head, and she knew he was safe. She was safe too. After several minutes, they kissed again. And it was perfect.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

146K 1.9K 54
COMPLETE Sophie Foster has had enough of the Neverseen. After years playing defense, she decides its time to play the offense. In this adventure Soph...
23.9K 298 19
Fitz Vacker is the captain of the football team, dating the most popular cheerleader, and has the life pretty much every high school boy wants. Every...
15.2K 197 38
Everlasting 1. lasts forever or a very long time Love 1. A very deep intense feeling of affection. Sophie Foster is confused. Why? Why? Did she feel...
193K 2.1K 27
Ranked #1 in Sokeefe on March 10, 2020 Sophie Foster is sort of drifting through life at her high school, Foxfire. She doesn't really have any friend...