Adorable

By Evelyn_Esher

❛❛The girl and the two boys. What happens when love enters the picture.❜❜ Sophie, Fitz, Keefe. Oblivious, per... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1 | Runaway Kisses
Chapter 2 | Runaway Kisses
Chapter 3 | Custard Bursts & Kisses
Chapter 4 | The Meltdown
Chapter 5 | Found Out
Chapter 6 | Homework Kisses
Chapter 7 | Homework Kisses
Chapter 8 | Base Quest & Breakups
Chapter 9 | Kelpies at Sunrise
Chapter 10 | Goodbye
Chapter 11 | Girl Talk & Dad Talk
Chapter 12 | Girl Talk & Dad Talk
Chapter 13 | New Rules
Chapter 14 | Showdown
Chapter 15 | Keefe
Chapter 16 | Water Tricks
Chapter 17 | Water Tricks
Chapter 18 | Stina Heks
Chapter 19 | Eavesdropping
Chapter 19 | A Much-Needed Conversation
Chapter 20 | Nightmares and Enemies
Chapter 21 | Nightmares and Enemies
Chapter 22 | Broken
Chapter 23 | Broken
Chapter 25 | First Date
Chapter 26 | First Date
Chapter 27 | Keefe
Chapter 28 | Swimming
Chapter 29 | Sir
Chapter 30 | Stupid
Chapter 31 | With My Life
Chapter 32 | Engaged!
Chapter 33 | Wedding
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 24 | It Better Be

4K 35 112
By Evelyn_Esher

A/N It has been decided! 11 Chapters + 1 Epilogue left! So that means Adorable should be finished by possibly the 22nd!

Keefe's POV

"Alright Keefe, looks like you're good to go!" Elwin said cheerily as he bustled through the door. "Well... after one more round of medicine."

I groaned, but secretly I was pleased. I had finally convinced Sophie to go home, change, and sleep for a few hours. She assured me that she would do at least two of those things- good enough.

But she hadn't gotten back yet, and I didn't want to leave while she was gone. Unless... if she still wasn't here when I was ready to leave, I'd leap to Havenfield.

So I chugged the elixirs and laid down for my mandatory last nap. I couldn't sleep though, mostly because I had slept practically 24/7 for the last three days in the Healing Center. I was wide awake, so I pretended to sleep and rehearsed what I'd say to Foster. Suddenly, I realized something- I had never actually asked her out on a real date! I mean sure, I'd left notes for her to follow. But I had never actually asked her to go on a date with me.

After the longest half hour of my life, I popped up in bed. "Kay Elwin, I napped, I took my medicine... can I go now? Pleeeease?"

He laughed. "One last check." He walked over to me and flashed light around my various cuts and bruises. They had all healed almost completely, except for my black eye, a slight line on my neck, and one on my collarbone. And they were mostly faded.

"Thanks, Elwin!" I shouted as I grabbed my mostly empty satchel and ran into the bathroom. I quickly styled my hair, straightened my clothes, and practiced my smirk in the mirror. I was still a little wrinkled, but I'd taken a sponge bath that morning and Ro had brought fresh clothes from my house, so at least I was clean. When I felt ready, I hurried back out of the bathroom and practically ran to the Leapmaster.

"Havenfield!" I called impatiently. As soon as the crystals shifted into place, I practically jumped into the light and let it carry me away.

"Sophie?" I called when I reappeared at Havenfield. Then I spotted her crouched next to the Panakes tree, facing away from me. Looked like she was collecting blossoms. She didn't seem to have heard me, so I walked over to the tree. When I got close, I realized she had her earbud things in. She was humming along to her music, and I watched her for a while. Not, like, in a creepy way. She just seemed so normal and happy and bright.

Eventually she stood up, gently placing the blossoms in a bag slung casually over her shoulder. I stepped behind her and wrapped my arms around her waist from behind. She started, but then pulled out her earbuds and laughed. Her laugh was soft and musical.

I released her a little to let her turn around, put then pulled her close. She put her arms around my shoulders. I could hear her music gently coming out of the tiny earbuds around her neck. I picked up the earbud with one of my hands and held it to my ear, listening. I couldn't catch much, but it sounded like a guy singing to a girl about how she belonged with him instead of the girl's boyfriend.

"Hey, Soph?" I asked gently, letting the earbud fall and tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Mmh?"

"I realized something."

"What's that?"

"I've never actually taken you out on a real date."

She laughed, then thought for a second. "Mmh, slacker."

"I know. Please accept my sincerest apologies."

"Fine." She looked so adorable, her slightly damp hair blowing in the wind and her casual clothes suiting her perfectly. I let the hand still on her face fall behind her head, pulling her into a kiss. Instead of filling the cracks in my mind, like her kisses had done before, this kiss left me wanting more. So I kissed her again. And again. I couldn't seem to stop, and she didn't seem to care. All I could feel from her emotions was love and peace and happiness. She felt hopeful, and content. I know those don't seem like they'd mix, but it all blended together into... I don't have the words to describe it. If you've felt it, you know what I mean. If you haven't, nothing I can say will explain it.

Eventually, we both pulled away- neither wanting to, but knowing we couldn't stand here forever. We locked eyes for a long time before she murmured something so soft I barely caught it.

"So is that an invitation?"

I smirked at her. "Maybe."

She glared. "It had better be."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Is that an invitation?"

She falters. "Uh..."

"Kidding. Atlantis. Tomorrow night."

She frowned. "Where in Atlantis?"

"It's a surprise." The truth was that I had no idea. I hadn't planned that far ahead yet.

"Sophie? Dinner is ready!" Edaline's voice called from the house.

She grinned at me. "Want to stay?"

I grinned back. "Would I survive it?"

"I'd give it a ninety percent chance."

"I like those odds." We laughed, and she pulled away and intertwined her fingers in mine. We walked that way into her house, stopping at the door of the kitchen.

"Mom, is it okay if Keefe stays for dinner?"

"Of course, honey. I'll get an extra plate." Edaline gave us a sappy smile that sent Foster blushing and me grinning.

"You do work up an appetite in the Healing Center. Who knew Elwin had such horrible taste in snacks?" We laughed and cracked more jokes about Elwin as we sat around the table. Grady walked in, and eyed me immediately. He glared slightly but said nothing.

We sat down to eat, and the mood turned awkward with Grady watching me like I was about to murder Sophie. I tried to keep things light, carrying the conversation and cracking jokes about Bo and Ro, who were staring daggers at each other- and me- from across the room.

Finally, dinner was over. Not a great start, but at least by the end of the meal Grady didn't look like he wanted to mesmerize me into leaving and never coming back.

We stood up, and Sophie walked me to the door. Grady looked like he wanted to follow, but Edaline distracted him not-so-subtly.

We paused at the door, and turned towards each other.

"Bye, Keefe." Sophie said softly, reaching up to run her fingers through my hair. The touch sent burning tingles down my body.

"Bye, Foster." Her other hand moved to my face, and she pulled me down into a kiss.

A loud noise startled us just as our lips met. We sprang apart, turning towards Grady clearing his throat. "Goodbye, Keefe."

I probably turned red. I couldn't help it. He's terrifying! "Um... bye." I turned to Sophie, giving her a quick kiss before slipping out the door. I listened for a second to make sure he wasn't mad, but I didn't hear anything. It was probably fine.

*****

I was starting to panic. I had visited nearly every clothes shop in Atlantis, trying desperately to find something that even vaguely resembled a human suit. I figured Sophie would get a kick out of me wearing human clothes to our first real date.

I had finally decided where to take her- a kind of over the top fancy place called the Gilded Rose Café that would probably be super awkward. But I wanted to do something nice for her. She deserved it.

Speaking of, it turns out I'm terrible at picking out jewelry. I had wanted to get her something, maybe a necklace or a bracelet, but I didn't see anything that she would really like. Maybe I would make something.

Finally, I found this dinky little shop that sold ripoff humanish clothes. They weren't perfect, but I found an outfit my size that looked pretty good. It was midnight black with a white shirt and tie. I had no idea if it was accurate, but it sure didn't look bad on me.

So I bought it for a ridiculous price (thank you dad for leaving your birth fund cube out in the open) and took it home in a bag. I also bought a bag of plain round beads and some light blue string. The color was Ro's idea. Apparently it looks like my eyes.

I was just settling down with my art supplies and the beads when a knock sounded at my door. I scrambled to cover my desk, then realized it was my dad.

"What can I do for you?" I asked sarcastically.

He took a look at my desk. "I want you to work on your homework. Your grades have been suffering due to your antics lately."

"Suffering? The only suffering going on is between me and those books." I retort, going back to wetting my brushes and laying out my paints. After a minute I looked up. "You're still here."

"Indeed I am. Can't I watch my son? You are very talented."

I couldn't speak. I just gaped at him.

"Okay Daddio, obviously you're up to something shady. I know enough about both of you to know that you have never said anything even remotely tolerant about Lord Hunkyhair's art." Once again, Ro saved me.

"Yeah. What in the Point of Purity is that supposed to mean? Talented? Last time you mentioned my art was to scream in my face and rip up a drawing I had worked on for weeks. So get out and shut up."

Maybe I was a little harsh. And I felt kind of bad about that. But that drawing was supposed to be a present for Sophie. I tried again, but I never did get it right. It ended up crumpled in my trash can.

He looked like he wanted to say something else, then closed his mouth, turned around, and closed the door behind him as he left.

Ro turned to me and whistled. "Wow, Lord Hunkyhair. That was impressive." She held up her hand for a high five. I ignored her and turned to my beads.

I had no idea what to draw. I had already given her one with her face, a Panakes blossom... what else? So I just started playing around, sketching tiny scenes. They were mostly closeups of her face, in all sorts of expressions. Joyful, like she'd been when I woke up. Embarrassed, like she'd been- well, pretty much all the time. Angry at me, like she'd been after Ravagog.

Some of them were tiny scenes, like our first meeting or our first kiss. And a few were of me. One was Grady and Edaline. One was of her human parents and Amy. There were a couple more, but those were the main ones. When I was done, I had about twenty beads. I threaded them into a loose bracelet, then looked at it. It looked a little messy. Something was missing.

Ro walked over and looked at it, then handed me something. It was a round ice blue bead, about twice as big as the others. "Bought this earlier. Figured you'd need it."

I looked at it, then shook my head. "No. That's pretentious. This is about her."

"Nah, she wants something to remind everyone that you're together. Trust me. Remember that teal heart from Pretty Boy she used to wear?"

"Yeah, and they broke up."

"You make a good point. But I think you should do it."

I sighed. She hadn't been wrong yet. "Fine." I slipped half the beads off the thread, slipped on the blue one, and put them back. It... actually looked much better. Then I glanced at my watch and sprang up. "Holy verminion! I only have an hour to get ready!"

Ro laughed. "Better hurry, Lover Boy. Wouldn't want to show up to your date in that." She gestured to the wrinkled outfit I'd both slept and shopped in.

I flushed. That would be horrible. I quickly changed into the suit and styled my hair. I will admit that the second action took about three times as long as the first. Finally, I had it perfect. I smirked in the mirror, then tucked the bracelet into my pocket. Off to my first date.

A/N I *love* Ro! Also, who's looking forward to the date?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

966 23 15
some imagines and moments between sophie and keefe lots of fluff and angst :) TW included before some chapters
5.3K 68 17
Sophie Foster is in a toxic and abusive relationship with her current boyfriend, Steve. Sophie and her old friend and crush, Fitz Vacker bump into ea...
19.1K 243 9
When Sophie Foster is kidnapped by the Neverseen, the entire Elvin community believes she's dead. For almost a month, her family and friends attempt...
39.6K 872 17
❝𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒌𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒔𝒕, 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒕𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒆.❞ 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗗𝗔𝗬 you turn a certain age, you get a bracelet. But it's...