The Rogues

By _kaywrites

Control. It's what Evelyn's known her whole life...being controlled by a croupt government run society called... More

1- Intro to Detra
2- Control
3- Matched
4- The Bride
5-No Mans Land
6- Stitches
7- The Test
8- Bullseye
9- Fists out
10- Heads up
11- Bruises
12- The Woods
13 - Moonlight
14- The Girl
15- Smoke
16-Arrows
17-Flame
18- Mind Melt
19- Rooftop
20- The Twins
21- Trapped
22- Fury
23- Five Hours
24- Armor
25- A Weapon
26- Jailbreak
27- Power
28- Crimson
30- The Martyr
31- Breathe
32- The light
33- Forget Me
34- Don't Look Death in the Eye
35- When the Alarm Sounds
36- Let go
37- The Rising
38- Deception
39- Touch
40- The Gates
Chapter 41- Her Power

29- Heavenly

5.5K 145 289
By _kaywrites

Celeste

The breeze brushed cooly on my brazen skin as I cut through the grass to find my way to the courtyard. There was a part of me that felt an ounce of guilt for leaving Evelyn alone with Dominic. I knew he wasn't happy with her, and Ev was probably not in the greatest shape to deal with angry Dom. I shouldn't have left her, but something in my gut told me they needed to talk alone.

Though I'd been through shit with Verena, l couldn't find a reason not to trust Evelyn. Not yet at least. What if she knew this whole time? What if she was working with Detra and I was the damned one who let her stay, again? No. I yelled at myself. She's not like that.

I knew evil when I saw it. The lick of hell in a demon's eyes was always the same in every monster. I saw it in Verena, in every single doctor who laid their hands on me during an experiment, and if I was able to see it through a troopers helmet, I'd see evil in them too. In Evelyn,I didn't entirely see goodness, but I sure didn't see a spark of evil. And I trusted that.

I knew Dominic had a hard time trusting people, and I didnt blame him. He'd been hurt the most when Verena betrayed us. Not only did Verena tear him apart, murder his best friend and lead an ambush to the Rouges, but she made Dominic feel like it was all his fault. Sometimes I felt like it was my fault for letting her in the first place, though Dominic would argue otherwise like it was some kind of sick competition. Dominic never forgave himself for how he had let Verena take over him, and with that, he threw away his trust in pretty much everyone. There were even times where I felt he didn't even trust me, and I was the person he held the most security in. Dominic was left feeling a void of emptiness, a numb expression I couldn't grasp no matter how hard I tried to understand him. After the incident, he became enclosed, isolated, and cold towards everyone, and it broke me. I hated seeing the determined, adventurous, outgoing boy I once knew, fade away to darkness like a distant memory. But when Evelyn showed up, I caught a glimpse of that boy again.

From the day Evelyn arrived, I noticed a change in Doms demeanor. The first thing I noticed happened the second he saw her; He made eye contact with her. Since Verena, Dom had not been able to look a girl in the eye who wasnt me or Lani. It was an odd trait for someone like him. He used to look a girl in the eye and they'd practically fall to their knees, but after Verena, he wouldn't dare to shoot a glance. Almost like he was afraid too.

Evette Geaneu. She was a Rouge Dominic had eyes on for years. She was pretty. Long ash blonde hair, flawless pale skin, and blazing green eyes. Her features were young and gentle, lit like the delicate palette of an oil painting. I understood why he liked her, she was a nice girl too, one of our best fighters, which captured Dominics attention no doubt. For years he'd tried everything to get with her, but she never showed interest. She was too caught up with Declan, and it ate Dom alive. A year after what happened with Verena, Evette came to Dominic. She told him she liked him, and finally was willing to give him a chance. Dom had wanted this for so long, but when the moment came, he deserted all his feelings. Those bright green eyes he used to go on and on about how beautiful they were...he couldn't even look at them. The thought of his eyes meeting hers, her touch trailing his body, it made him feel sick. All he could think of was Verena. Verena, Verena, Verena, It was always Verena. I often questioned if he missed more than he loathed her.

He turned Evette down by simply ignoring her, keeping his head low and walking away as soon as she tried to confess her feelings. I mean, how could you try and speak to someone if you could hardly look at them? You can't. So he never tried. But Dom met Evelyn's eyes right away, held her gaze too. And right then,I felt a grasp of hope for him. A change.

From the way he looked when he watched her test, to his attitude shifting slightly after having shared a single word with her, I knew Dominic was warming up. And for the first time in a while, I was truly happy for him. That's why I hoped that Evelyn was really a rebel...that these powers of hers were really hers, and not the supervision of Detra. As I said, I knew evil when I saw it, and in Ev, there was no evil.

"Oh Cel, thank god you're here!" Cassian's plea grabbed me as I wandered into the courtyard. "I've been stuck with Lani one to many hours. I think I might go insane!"

Lani peeked her head behind Cassian's shoulder, "You love me, loser." She joked, pushing him, he pushed her back and they bursted out laughing.

"Alright that's enough." I giggled, "How's it been? Did you guys manage to sneak them back okay."

"Cass and I waited behind the weaponry unit as we were told, and we were starting to think you guys weren't coming. All of a sudden a little boy peeks his head out the air vent and crawls out. Cass nearly had a heart attack."

"You were scared of a little boy?" I held a hand over my lips, suppressing my laugh as I eyed Cassian.

"Sorry I don't see little boys coming out of air vents everyday." Cassian rolled his eyes

"Ahem" A tiny voice squealed below me, "Um, that little boy has a name. And I'm not little...I'm growing I swear."

I peeked down to see a curly haired young face gazing his wide green eyes eagerly at me. He looked no older than twelve, his brown curls bounced on his face and shadowed over the freckles that lined his button nose. I recognized him, he was the little boy that hugged Dominic in the cell. I almost laughed at the remembrance of it. The look of disgust on Doms face was priceless, and the picture of him awkwardly trying to break away from the boy's grasp replayed over in my head. I'm definitely making fun of him for that later.

"If by growing you mean your hairs getting longer..then sure you're growing, kid." Cassian leaned down to the boy. The boy rolled his eyes, crossing his arms in disappointment.

"And who's this?" I asked smiling at the child

"Im Beckett Haverford! Nice to meet you, uh-" he held out his hand to greet me and titled his freckled face in confusion.

"--Celeste Kodan. It's nice to meet you too Mr. Haverford." I nodded and shook his tiny hand. It was refreshing to see a young face with the Rouges, I haven't seen one in quite some time.

"Beckett here has been talking my ear off for an hour. Keeps telling me how you and Dom saved him."

"That was you!" The boys blue-green eyes lit up "Wow Miss...uh, Celeste. I can't thank you enough. You and your friend! Hey, where is your friend?"

"Yeah where is Dom?" Lani questioned, "Evelyn too, is she ok?" They didn't know about Evelyn's powers, and I didn't intend on them finding out.

"Doms talking with Theo."

"Oh God." Lani and Cassian exchanged nervous glances. I was nervous about it too. We disobeyed Theo, and we were probably going to get punished for it. Dom was the only one who could reason with Theo, so I hoped somehow he'd say something to make him realize what we did was good.

"And Evelyn is just resting. She's tired." At least that wasn't a lie. I didn't need to lie to Cass and Lani...I just wouldn't tell them anything.

"Speaking of..." Lani turned her head, a tall man peering around the courtyard approached us, "...Dominic! There you are."

He nodded, keeping his gaze around the courtyard. Beckett looked at Dom like he was some kind of God standing before him, his eyes lit and amused.

"How'd the talk go with Theo?" The question burned inside me. I hated to be so straightforward, I just couldn't help it. By the neutral look on Dominics face, it was hard to tell how it went. At least he didn't seem angry...that was a good sign.

"It was..." He hesitated, "...It was okay. He agreed to let them stay, that all that matters." Dominics voice showed no emotion, and I noticed his gaze wandering endlessly around the courtyard. I wanted to know what they talked about, but I thought it would be better to ask another time.

"It's you!" Beckett yapped, catching Dominic's attention. Dominic lifted his brow, I didn't think he fully recognized the boy at first. "You were the one who broke me out of that cell!"

"And you helped me pick the locks to the rest of the cells." Dominic looked down at Beckett, impressed. "You were a big help kid, what's your name?"

"Beckett Haverford!" The boy lit up, "And you must be Dominic. I heard them talking about you."

"I hope they had wonderful things to say about me." Dominic shifted his blue eyes to the side, narrowing them at me.

I shoved Dominics shoulder. "We were just talking about how you are the nicest most approachable person in all of No Man's Land. Truly the kindest, most heartfelt soul around." I tried to hold my laughter, but it unintentionally came out in short bursts.

"You're funny Cel." He rolled his eyes, "I just wanted to check in to see if everything was going okay. Theos agreed to room them in some of the empty apartments. They must all take the test, don't forget. I'll catch up with you guys later."

Dominic began to strode away when I called out, "Where are you going?"

"Shooting grounds. I haven't trained for days, it's making me feel sick." He yelled back. Usually I'd be the one to complain about not training for a few days, but honestly the thought hadn't even crossed my mind.

"Shooting!" Beckett glowed, "as in guns?" I nodded to him. "I've seen them on the troopers before. I've always wanted to shoot one."

I tossed a glance at Dominic, lifting my eyebrow with a smirk, then shooting my attention to little Beckett. It was as if Dom could read my thoughts. He shook his head in hard denial, but I threw another pleading look. He sighed and rolled his eyes, peering down at Beckett. "Do you want to come with, kid?" He said like it pained him. Dominic didn't like kids, and it showed. He'd train them sometimes, but that was about it. I was just trying to get him to crawl out his shell a little, and I knew he hated me for it.

"You mean it!" Becketts grin was so wide you could fit all of Detra in it.

"Sure kid, Just don't cause any trouble."

"No sir, no trouble!" Dominic nudged his head, and Beckett ran to his side. Dominic looked like a tower next to little Beckett. Beckett didn't care though, he bent his head back as far as he could so he could look right at Dom. I think I may have seen a smile escape Dominic's lips for a moment. His dimple always showed, that's how I knew. A warmness rose in my chest, a sense of relief for Dom. This was good for him. Beckett would be good for him.

"Heavenly!" A voice of a girl shouted behind me, raising the hairs on my neck. I turned around to see the Auburn haired girl, her feline green eyes narrowing  as she studied my structure. "I was wondering when i'd see you again!"

"Oh uh...how's everything been?" I awkwardly replied.

"It's been amazing!" She huffed and sat down on a decaying brownish-red bench below her. "I wanted to see you because I wanted to formally thank you."

"You already thanked me." I brushed away my hair that was caught in the wind and shook my head.

"Notice I said formally. This time my ass isn't in your face as I peer behind my shoulder to talk while squished into a tiny air vent."

A guilty laugh escaped my mouth and I sat my body on the bench next to hers, "I guess you're right." Why did you sit down next to her? Are you stupid? Do you not remember what she is? Dejas were dangerous for a reason..but I never understood why. They change moods and sneak in dreams, that was it...I thought so at least.

She flashed her green eyes at me, a look of true sincerity. "Really though, thank you." She smiled, her teeth were as white as fresh fallen snow, "Ever since i've been free of that place I haven't stopped smiling. I haven't felt this happy in a long time."

I felt for her. I remembered the moment Dom, Kyler and I took our first steps of freedom outside the walls of the Chamber. We were frantic, running for our lives with nothing. No food, no shelter, no plan. All that mattered to us was that we were out of that damned place, and we couldn't wipe the enormous smiles off our lips for days.

I didn't say you're welcome. I didn't think she deserved that yet. I peered around to make sure no one was listening before I spoke again. "I meant what I said back there...about your powers." I whispered

"I wish to forget them anyways." She looked down at her palms, a disappointment on her face, "They make me feel like a monster."

Because your kind are monsters.

"Did you use them alot?...your powers?" I pondered. Why would I ask that? What if someone overheard? Stupid Cel.

"No." She heastiated, "Well...sometimes. I had a husband with a really bad temper."

Don't have a husband but I do have one hell of a best friend.

She rubbed her finger gently inside her palm, her gaze still at her knees. " When he'd get angry with me I'd be afraid he'd'...well I was afraid he'd hurt me. He did hurt me...a lot...before I found out what I could do. I'd touch my hand to his chest and soon all of his anger would turn to happiness almost instantly. It was a miracle seeing the anger drain out his eyes. Like I blew away a flame that heated his body. If I wanted him to be happy, he'd be happy. And I always wanted him to be happy...so I didn't let him feel anything else. " She sighed, "Every time I changed his mood I felt guilt pulling my body up by a lever. Rather than facing him, I let myself be afraid, and took the easy way out to handling his temper. Though he was happy...I was anything but."

I said nothing. I sat and wondered about this girl. She didn't use her power as a monster, but to stop a monster. She was very showy, had this outgoing personality that shined through the rest of the Immunes like a diamond. Though when she talked of her powers, something that should make her feel strong, she fell weak. She was ashamed of herself. Were all mind-wielders bad, or were they just misunderstood? As I said, I could sense evil, and in this girl, all I sensed was a deep sorrow she hid under a smile.

"People started to notice his change in mood." She continued, "A Detra trooper who my husband was friends with took notice of the symptoms. He was familiar with what I was...all troopers were, and he knew right away why my husband's mood was so mixed. He suspected me, and I was sent into testing, later found guilty. Honestly, I didn't even know what I was until they told me I was this...this thing. They called me a Deja. A mutant Immune that holds the power to afflict upon one's moods and transport their consciousness to one's dream. I just thought I was a witch or something.'' She smiled a bit, lifting a tiny laugh off her lips before turning her head back down, "It doesn't matter though. I'm here now, out of that hell where they tried to contain me. And I'm free."

I looked at her, her jaded eyes now meeting the depth of my own dark voids. "I'm sorry." I said, "About your husband...you were only protecting yourself." That was what Evelyn was doing when she used her power...defending herself.

"Don't be sorry." She shook her head and leaned her elbows on her knees, " I learned the hard way that men aren't worth it." She glanced at me with a soft smile, I glanced back, feeling the heat rush to my face.

"You're right." I nodded, " Men aren't worth it."

We looked at each other for only a moment, but it felt like ages. Her face was soft and pale, exentianted with an underlying freshness though shed spent god knows how long in the Chamber. When I escaped the Chamber, I looked like a prisoner. My hair was thinned out and slick in a messy ponytail, my skin more of an ashy greyish brown than its usually golden bronze. My limbs clinged to my bones, outlining my skelton like a hungry beggar, weighing no more than ninety pounds. If you had glanced quick enough, you may have mistaken me for a corpse. Though I was fifteen, I looked five year younger, so did Dom and Kyler...we all looked awful. This girl though, she looked like a flower, fresh and clean, her body curvy and fed. Did they change the way they treated their prisoners, or was this girl just blessed with a natural flawless complexion? What I would give to look like that.

"I've been meaning to ask..." I shuddered, breaking her gaze for a second before leading myself unknowingly back into her eyes, "...what's your name?"

"Hmm" She pressed her lips together. Does she really have to think of her own name? "It's Hailey...or maybe it's Grace. Oh I kinda like Freya, or maybe even Dianne. Rey or Nina. You decide." She laughed with a wicked smirk.

She was messing with me, and I hated being messed with. Was it so goddamn difficult to tell me her name? Everything just had to be a game, and guessing games are my least favorite. "Freyas nice, but if you don't tell me your real name, I may just call you anything id like."

"I'm fine with that." She smirked, charmingly lifting her pretty pink lips.

My insides curled in my stomach, and I felt my pulse burst for an instant. Goddamnit Cel, you're definitely blushing again. Stop it.

"So uh your name?" I awkwardly smiled, trying to relive her gaze from my head.

"I guess you deserve to know." She dramatically sighed, "It's nothing special, I kinda hate it actually...it has a weird ring to it. Not like your name. Celeste flows nicely off a tongue like water cascading down a fall. If you hear your name and close your eyes, you can just picture the gleam of the night sky." She slowly shut her eyes as the melodic wind carried her red strands in the air. My gaze was stuck to her. I couldn't help it, she just intrigued me so much. She was lovely too, almost too lovely...as if she didn't belong with a band of outcasts like us. She looked like belonged seated elegantly on a throne next to the High Ruler himself. Though i'd only known her a few hours, I knew for sure i've never seen a personality quite like hers.

Her eyes were still shut and she lifted her chin, taking in a breath of the cool aura. "What do you see?" I tempted. Did Dejas have visions too? Was that what this was?

"Blackness."

"But you said-"

"Celeste." Her warm voice whispered through the invigorating zephyr, her lids still fastened gently over her eyes.

"Huh?" I answered at a loss.

"No...I just needed to say your name. Now I see something."

"What...What do you see?" I repeated myself, my desire more faint and subdued.

"As I said..." She inhaled a breath of wind, "...I can see the night sky. Stars glistening over galaxies of palletized purples and blues, brushed against the cool void of the dark heavens. A star flickers...then it stops. As it stops, another glimmers on, and the process repeats. The way of life in a constellation. It's..." She opened her eyes, and I held on to her gape as if I saw the stars in her eyes. "...It's beautiful." She slightly bit on to her lip, afflicting my attention. I knew I could drop my gaze any second, but unknowingly I drew closer, grasping the look she had like it was some sort of medication.

"Anyways..." She blushed, shaking her head and I pulled away.

What the hell are you thinking Cel? I scolded myself, Don't get close with a Deja. Never again would I be stupid enough to let that happen.

"...My name's Gem-" She paused like her breath was ripped from her chest. "No...it can't be." She squinted, peering at the person who was limping towards us.

Really Ev, you had to get out of bed?

"Oh my god..." She bounced to her feet in excitement, "I thought you were dead! Evelyn?"

What?

Evelyn stopped and stared, the same look of shock painted her expression as well, "Gemma?"

Gemma. That's her name. Easy to remember...her eyes remind me of gemstones.

"Ev!" Her eyes lit up, an enormous grin on her lips.

"Gem!" Evelyn ran over, well more like limped over, she was still aching I assumed, but she didn't seem to care much. She embraced Gemma, wrapping her hands around her oval body and holding her close. What the hell was going on? How did they know each other?

"Oh Evelyn!" Gemma's eyes watered with tears as she lifted her soft palm, gently grasping the side of Evelyn's cheek. They both had familiar smiles on their faces, like the smile I had when I saw Kyler for the first time in years after believing he was gone. It was like Dominic brought him back from the dead, and suddenly I felt alive.

"I don't believe it!" Evelyn pulled away, puzzling how this girl she knew was standing before her. "Wait...Why?..How?" She tried to find her words, but confusion overtook her mouth. "Youre...youre Immune?"

I shot Gemma a warning glance. My eyes cut like knives.I knew under my trust she wouldn't tell Evelyn what she was, even if they did somehow know each other.

"Yes...i'm Immune."

"I don't understand?" Evelyn shook her head, trying to grasp reality, "Everytime I distrusted Detra you...you ridiculed me? Made me feel like I was some kind of freak for thinking those things, but here all along, you thought the same?"

"Well..." Gemma blushed of embarrassment, "...I didn't really know I was Immune until I was tested. Sure I noticed some things...different about myself. But I always held my trust in Detra gov. Always until I entered the eye of their hell. Now I resent it all."

"When were you tested? Why? How did they know?"

"Well uh..." Gemma croaked. I shot my eyes again. You better make something up, and fast.

"...Uh after you ran away, they had to test people you were close with. So they tested me, and I was unlucky enough to be considered an Immune."

Knowing Evelyn, she definitely felt terrible thinking she was the reason Gemma was sent to the Chamber. "Oh no, this is all my fault. Oh Gemma i'm so sorry, I didn't mean too--"

"--It okay."Gemma held her hand out and touched Evelyn's fingers, holding them gently in her palms. I watched the wave of worry flood out of Ev's eyes in a blink. Did Gemma do that? After I asked her not to use her powers?

"It was wise of you to run from that place, I wish I would have thought that sooner." Gemma softly smiled, Evelyn returning one back.

"Did they hurt you Gem? In the Chamber?" Evelyn squeezed Gemma's palm, leaning her sincere eyes closer. Gemma dropped her gaze from Evelyn, glancing at her palms as she stalled her reply.

"No." She said quietly. She's lying. "Im fine. And you Ev? Are you okay? You look like you can barely walk!"

"It's because she was with Dominic." Cassian blurted out of nowhere, like he appeared from thin air. I couldn't believe he just said that, Evelyn too. Her face flushed red.

"Cassian!" Evelyn growled, her eyes wide in shock. Gemmas face mirrored Evelyns, though she had a grin, Ev did not.

Evelyn furled her brows, balled her fist, and punched Cassian's shoulder. Hard too.

"Ow!" Cassian yelped, rubbing his arm, "What the hell?"

"You deserved that."

Cassian shrugged, still grasping his shoulder, "Fair. But seriously, why can you barley stand up straight without your legs almost collapsing together?."

Don't tell them Evelyn. I wanted to scream at her.

"Ya im okay." She hugged her arms shyly, "I took a bad fall in The Chamber, and I was hit a few times with their taser gun thingys. I'm okay though."

"Razors hurt like hell." Gemma rolled her eyes. Did she not realize she just exposed herself?

"Ya." Evelyn rubbed her arm, "They do." Evelyn sensed Gemma was lying about being hurt in the Chamber as much as I did. I wondered what happened to her? It's not any of your business Cel. I told myself. I didn't like when people asked me about my experience in the Chamber, I could only assume she felt the same.

"I still can't believe it...that you're here Gem!" Evelyn's jaw almost fell to the floor.

"I can't believe it either. I never thought I'd never see you again!"Gemmas drew her eyes up Evelyn's body and grinned. .

Evelyn smiled a bit, but then tossed it back into a puzzling look. Something was running through her mind, something about Gemma. Another mystery to add to Gemma's list.

"If you don't mind Celeste," Gemma turned her bright face to me, "Do you care if I talk with Evelyn alone for a bit? There's something...something I need to explain."

"Go right ahead," As long as you don't tell her what you are. "Ill stay here with the Immunes. I can take them to the apartments."

I kind of wanted Gemma to stay...I enjoyed talking to her. Her presence was amusing, and I was still trying to figure her out. I understood though, obviously Evelyn and Gemma knew each other back in Detra and needed to talk.

"Actually," A familiar voice lingered behind me, "Can I steal Evelyn for a bit? I need to talk to her."

"Kyler, where have you been?" I faced him, my arms crossed in worry. I hadn't seen him in hours, where had he gone to?

"I was in the library, studying better sketches of the Chamber. I think ive finally got every room figured out."

Of course he was. Not that The Chamber was important anymore, it was just Kyler being Kyler. Studying every thin lined edge until all the creases faded away in his head. Sometimes I wished I inherited some of his smarts. He had to have gotten it from our father because at ten, both Kyler and I outsmarted our mother. We didn't know our father, he died when we were just babies, leaving my mom to deal with illegal twins herself. I thought that's what drove her to insanity. Under Detras brainwash, and her own self pity, she couldn't handle us anymore. I wished she hadn't abandoned us, but I couldn't be more grateful she did. The Rogues were my life now, I breathed the air of freedom and I enjoyed it. Though until all the people of Detra were free from rule, the air still had a touch of cold metal prison bars to it.

"So Ev, talk a walk with me?" Kyler lifted his sharp jaw to her and she nodded.

If she can manage.

"Can I talk to you later Gem?" Evelyn said

"Sure, I can hold here for a bit."

Eveyln tossed us a soft smile before making her way to Kylers side. She tilted her neck back so she could talk to him, they wandered away quietly into the path of broken down buildings. I never noticed how small Evelyn was. Kyler wasn't much taller than me, yet Evelyn still was inches under him. God, Evelyn must have looked like an insect next to Dom.

"So," Gemma nudged my shoulder, I gasped in surprise, "I guess you're stuck with me, Celeste."

"Ya," I gauged an anxious laugh, "I guess I am, Gemma."

Evelyn

Taking a walk may not have been the brightest idea, since my muscles ached with a burning sensation every time my feet trudged on the grassy ground. Push through, Ev. Don't let him see you're hurting. I bottled up my pain and tried swallowing it down with the calming words that came from Kylers voice.

"I wanted to make sure you were doing okay."

I looked down at my hands, Am I ok? I wasn't sure. My mind was still so confused, so disoriented. My memories still were not as clear as I would have liked them to be, but I complied with what I did remember. I reached my fingers into my palm, about to claw the inside like an animal, but then, I remembered Dominic's gentle touch groping my fingers, stopping me from continuing my nervous tic. I imagined he was there beside me, his warmth, his tall body towering over mine. I let my hands fall to my side.

"I'm alive, if that's what matters." I shrugged, "For a moment I thought I was dead though."

"I thought you might have been when I picked you off the ground." Kylers voice grasped my attention, until I heard the softness of your breath, I knew you were okay."

"That was you who brought me back here? I thought that was Do-"

"Dom?" Kyler shifted his eyes to the side, "He offered to, but I wouldn't let him. I didn't fully trust him in the moment."

"Didn't trust him?" I lifted my brow

"Well, he was...he was pretty shaken up after seeing what you could do. He was worried about you all right, but he also seemed a little angry. I never trust his emotions, they change in a blink."

Dominic wouldn't have hurt me though, right? No, I yelled at myself, He wouldn't.

"Thank you Kyler." I led my gaze to his dark eyes and nodded, breathing in a lick of the chilled air running through the fine lines of my body, lifting up the fly strands of my hair that untucked itself from behind my ears.

"Don't thank me. I actually pulled you aside so I could apologize to you." He shook his head and peered at his feet as his leather brown shoes stepped in front of him.

"Apologize?" I questioned, "For what?"

He exhaled a breath, "For doing nothing when they started attacking you in The Chamber. I feel so guilty about it, I cant get it out of my head."

"No Kyler, don't be sorry. If you had done something you would have blown your cover. There was nothing you could do." My eyes pleaded at him. Kyler had such a kind heart, I knew he didn't want to let me go through that, but he had to.

"I know I just feel awful. What they did to you--I could have intervened, stopped it somehow, I-"

"-Kyler!" I touched my hand to the soft fur of the arm of his beige sweater, reassuring him he was in no wrong. "It's okay. You did what you had too. And we're here aren't we? That's all that matters, right?"

He nodded his head, trailing his eyes down my body before I slowly pulled my head away. "Your right." He faced forward, his sharp jaw jumping towards me as the sun shimmered his golden skin. "I'm glad you're not upset. How are you feeling?"

"I've felt better." More like I've never felt this bad in my whole life. We quietly walked forwards, taking in the aroma of the disheveled setting. A question burned in my head, itching to escape since the moment I started my walk with Kyler. "Did you know?" I broke the silence of the air.

"Know?"

"That I was...was a kinesic. I know you worked in The Chamber, so i was just wondering if--"

"--No." He denied, "I didn't know. Well...I knew there was a Kinesic living in Detra, but I wasn't ranked high enough uncover the information on who it was. I was astonished when Grant said it was you."

"Oh." I rubbed my hand on the side of my leg anxiously, "I'm curious...do you know anything else? about what I am?" Of course he did, it was Kyler, he knew everything.

"Only a bit. Kinesics are very rare, so information on them is limited. There have only ever been five living ones. Well, known living ones. Alec Veldez, Nikos Zephyr, Nadja and Inara Kade, and now...you."

Me. One in five, rarer than a diamond. A chill ran down my spine.

"Kinesics power is triggered by a genetic mutation in the mind when trying to fight Xerian in the womb. Xerian is the drug Detra uses to inflict mind control on citizens. Its a gas, they release it in the air and Infuze it into everyday products. Your mind fought the drug, but was mutated in the process, giving you the ability to control the minds of people and things around you. This is called telekinesis. Rather than fearing and locking away Kinesics, Detra sees them as a gateway to power. With your power, you can destroy Frejren, Omanda, Beaux and any other surrounding free state. Controlling the states would make Detra an empire."

"So that's why they want me so bad? They need me if they want to destroy the states."

Your mind... it's a weapon. Kyler nodded with a sigh. He feared that idea just as much as I. He peered down at me. Ash grey and beige ragged sutures filled my view as we wandered deeper, my breath seeking through the cool wind and the sun carving through the cracks and edges of the buildings. I pondered about the Rogues abandon city.

"What was here before the Rogues came?" I peered around as the shadows toppled over my head. There was life here once. It had to be a long time ago though by the tarnished look on the scrapers.

"This was part of Detra."

"It was?"

"Yes. Years ago, Detra was divided. North Detra, and South Detra. Here, the north was free of communist rule, and the south was controlled. If you lived in the south it was almost impossible to escape to the north, the south wanted to contain its people. Armors were not outlawed in the north, but mind wielders still were. Many mind wielders lived in the North anyways though, the laws were very lenient unless someone commited a crime. Peace was disrupted between the sides a lot. Frejren got along with North Detra only, making the South very angry. Soon war broke between North Detra and Frejren and South Detra. Though it was two against one, South Detra somehow remained elite. When the Immune Rebellion broke out, South Detra should have burned to ashes, but they still remained stronger than ever from the unwilling help of some kinesics apparently. With the kinesics possibly on their side, South Detra was unstoppable, and ended up completely destroying North Detra while the army seized Frejren." Kyler words sounded like pages of a history novel. It was so odd to me that I didn't know any of this. My own homeland's history was erased from citizens' minds, left as useless information dedicated for officials and troopers.

"So this..." I gazed around my body, the grey dead grass, the dusted down ash buildings, some broken down, others left hardly standing, "...this was the result of a kinesic?"

Kyler sighed, looking around as well. We stopped our tread, taking in the sight. Taking in the idea that I had the power to destroy something like this. "You have a very powerful ability Miss Kane. Use it wisely."

"I'd rather not use it at all." I peered down at my fingertips, the ends still scorched from the heat that radiated from them, the force of energy that was greater than a hundred troopers.

"I disagree."

I picked my head up in confusion."What?"

"I think your powers are fascinating."

"But im...Im a monster."

"One is only a monster once they use their power to do monstrous things. You are no more a monster than I. I've killed before. Dominics killed, Celeste has too. Maybe that makes us all monsters."

Maybe that makes us all monsters. That was something I hadn't thought of. Maybe Kyler was right...I was no more of a monster than anyone else.

"Learn to use your power Evelyn. You can do good with it. You can help the Rogues. Imagine the possibilities."

"I don't know Kyler..it could be dangerous."

"Anything could be dangerous if you make it that. You don't have to listen to me...I'm sure Dominic wouldn't be fond of you using your power, I just want you to think about it."

I didn't know what I held well enough yet, but maybe if I learned...maybe I could help the Rogues. Grants words replayed in my head, If we can make you strong enough, you can hold the ability to wipe out an entire city with the swipe of your fingers. What if once I was strong enough...I could wipe out Detra? End it all? I couldn't...I couldn't take away the lives of hundreds of innocent people in the process. I don't even know how to trigger my power. Dont be stupid Evelyn.

Kyler picked up with breath, about to say something as his huff was caught by the sound of guttural bells chiming rapidly in the distance. They echoed through the area, the sound bouncing off the hollow walls of the premises.

"Oh no." Kyler held his tongue

"What is it?" The bells were alarming, their vigorous chim sending a shudder through my body. A deathly growl in the distance.

"The warning bells. I...I have to go." Kyler picked up his feet, running back towards the courtyard immediately.

"Wait!" I yelled over the ringing, "What's going on?"

Kyler turned around his frantic face as his chest pushed up and down rapidly with each suck of air, "I don't know...but those bells mean only one thing..."

Suddenly, an array of Rogues, gun and knives in hand, arrow on back, rushed into the emerald leaves of the forest.

"...Somethings gone wrong."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Kairos By leigh heasley

Science Fiction

842K 23K 28
Time travel is legal and Ada Blum is looking for love. But what happens when one of her charming bachelors from the past makes his way to the present...