GLORY OR VALHALLA | BJORN IRO...

By arios2004

In which after the numerous losses she was forced to experience, Ylva the Dread begins to lose herself, slowi... More

GLORY OR VALHALLA
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18

1

1.6K 32 4
By arios2004

GLORY OR VALHALLA
— 1. The Aftermath

It had been about three days since Bjorn Ironside and Ylva the Dread had won the kingdom of Kattegat, but it still came with many great losses. The worst losses of all were losing the child had Ylva carried inside her and their eldest daughter, Freya.

Bjorn had found Ylva, lying in the woods of Ashton where he knew Freya and Ylva used to spend a few nights every summer to have some time away from everyone. He had found her there, lying on the ground after lighting Freya's pyre. She had been wearing no pants and her legs had been covered in blood. She had miscarried.

It broke both their hearts, to know the Seer was right. Her belly would swell with children, but Ylva would give birth to no more children.

Ylva had been in a depressive state and confessed that she didn't want to live anymore. But Bjorn assured her that everything would be okay for them and that he'd make sure all would be well from now on. He had promised to be her strength and with that, he had brought her into his arms, allowing her to grieve.

He had carried her to the horse they'd ride back to Kattegat and when they did arrive in Kattegat, Bjorn carried his wife to their new room in the Great Hall. He had the servants fill her bath up before sending them away.

He had helped Ylva climb in before he sat down beside the metal tub. He had taken a small rag and began to assist her in washing the dirt and blood off her body. Ylva was thankful for that. She needed his help, she needed her husband's comfort and touch at that moment more than anything. She just didn't know how to tell him. She had no way of expressing it.

She was surrounded by people, but still, she felt alone. She had lost two children in one day.

Her heart was in pieces.

It felt worse than the time she lost Sihtric and thought she lost Halig. Halig was back now but he wasn't the same innocent sweet boy he once had been.

Bjorn sighed as he ran the wet rag over her arms. They were covered in dirt and she even had some under her fingers. He had no idea how that could have happened unless she had been digging.

"We have won the kingdom of Kattegat, but we have lost two children in the process," Ylva spoke up in a whisper as she turned to Bjorn with tears in her eyes, "Was it worth it?"

Bjorn didn't answer. He pulled away from Ylva and looked down at the ground. He knew her eyes were on him, waiting for his answer. He slowly lifted his head as he finally brought himself to look her in the eye. "Nothing is worth losing a child, not even my father's kingdom."

"History is repeating itself," Ylva admitted, trying not to cry, "When my uncle Henrik tried to take Ashton from me all those years ago, I fought him and in the process, I lost the child I carried in my belly. Then again, we nearly lost Halig when I allowed him to fight in battle when he was only twelve. This is my fault..." She trailed off, beginning to cry, "This is all my fault!"

"It's not your fault," Bjorn argued in a stern tone, cupping her face in his hands as he tried to get her to look him in the eyes, "Look at me! This is not your fault. Freya chose to go back. She sacrificed herself for us all. She's a hero. She's in Valhalla now, feasting with Ragnar and your brothers."

"What about the child I lost, Bjorn?" She asked him in a whisper, "You wanted so badly to have another child. I had begun to as well and now, he's gone."

"But it's not your fault," Bjorn replied, shaking his head in response, "The gods simply took him before we were ready."

Ylva didn't respond to what her husband had said. She sighed and looked down at the ground, refusing to speak another word. She knew Bjorn was just trying to help but she didn't want someone to tell her everything was going to be okay.

It wasn't.

They both knew that. She knew the hardships of being a ruler of a city and she knew the costs. It was only the beginning of the losses they were about to experience.

"Ylva..." Bjorn began to say as he went to reach out for her.

"Bring me Gunnhild," Ylva suddenly demanded, causing Bjorn's face to fall.

"What?" Bjorn asked, a puzzled look on his face.

"Bring me Gunnhild," She insisted and Bjorn sighed in defeat, "I want to see Gunnhild."

Bjorn stared at Ylva for a long moment before standing up. He hesitantly nodded and turned to walk away.

Ylva watched him leave and began to tear up, knowing it was cruel of her to do such a thing. He had been trying to comfort her and instead, she asked for Gunnhild. She sighed and glanced down at the ground, quick to wipe her tears.

_____

In the Great Hall of Kattegat, the people who had come from both Kattegat and Ashton to see their king and queen cheered when Lagertha appeared in front of them. They cheered even louder when Bjorn and Ylva walked through.

Bjorn was smiling widely, clapping his hands together while Ylva only had the slightest of smiles on her face. "People of Kattegat..." Bjorn spoke up loudly, "I told you that when Ylva and I became King and Queen that our rule would be very different than that of Ivar's. And we mean to keep that pledge," He explained and the crowds cheered loudly, "Ivar built a wall around our town. He discouraged foreigners, outlawed free speech, and dissent amongst our own people. Kattegat and Ashton can only survive and grow prosperous through trade, not conquest. That is my belief. This is your meeting, your Thing. Your chance to me and Ylva with whatever you want, and we will listen. We are but your humble servants."

The crowd laughed and cheered, beginning to call out Bjorn and Ylva's names.

Ylva turned and couldn't help but smile slightly, only to have it fade when the prisoners taken during the battle were brought forward.

"Who are these men?" Ylva suddenly spoke up as she walked toward the man standing in front.

He was glaring at her, his eye completely red and numerous scars scattered along his face.

"I know who they are," A voice spoke up, causing Ylva to frown and turn when she saw it was Hvitserk. He was sitting in a chair, looking completely drunk, "All of these men collaborated willingly with Ivar's regime. They served as his bodyguards. They did his bidding, whatever that was. However cruel, however depraved. They did it without compunction, without a thought even for their own families."

"He's right," Halig spoke up in a calm tone, causing Ylva and Bjorn to turn to their son with wide eyes. He walked over to Whitehair, glaring up at him, "They burned alive those who were brave enough to stand against them. I was nearly one of them and this..." He trailed off and pointed at Whitehair, "This man right here once tried to kill me as I recall."

A cold look on her face, Ylva walked toward Whitehair. She placed a hand on her son's shoulder as she stared up at Whitehair, glaring at him hatefully. "Well, are these men guilty?" She suddenly asked as she turned to the crowd, who cheered in response, "And what is it you all believe we should do with these traitors?"

The crowds began to shout, calling for the deaths of the men who had caused them so much.

Ylva turned to face some of the men loyal to her. "Take these men away," She demanded and they immediately obeyed her while the crowds around them cheered.

Lagertha walked over to Bjorn, linking her arms with his. "Remember, my son, your full responsibilities of Kingship," She reminded him and Bjorn turned to give her a puzzled look, "These people are not just ruled by Ylva now, they are ruled by you as well. You are their king. You must show that instead of letting her do everything."

As Lagertha walked away, Ylva made her way over to Bjorn with a concerned look on her face. "What is wrong with Hvitserk?"

"He has been acting like this for days now. He hasn't been sober since Freya died. It is how he is coping," He explained, only to notice the saddened look on her face. He sighed, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry. Ubbe has Gyda watching over him."

Hearing Bjorn's words, Ylva frowned and glanced around in confusion. "Where is Gyda? And where is Rorik?" She asked, which was something Bjorn and Ylva began to wonder.

It was their first official business as the new royal family of both Kattegat and Ashton, yet Rorik and Gyda hadn't attended. Rorik most of all should have attended. He was, after all, going to be king of both lands one day when Bjorn and Ylva died.

_____

"Mother will not be happy when she realizes we were not there for the sentencing of the rebels," Rorik had spoken up as he stood in the woods with Gyda, sparring.

"What do you care what Mother thinks?" Gyda retorted as she let out a large scoff, "I hear you have found yet another woman to warm your bed. A girl named Amma."

"She is not just any other woman," Rorik argued, lowering his sword as he decided to not spar with his sister any longer, "I love her," He confessed, only to find Gyda smiling at him in utter amusement, "What?"

"Dear brother, you fall in love with a new girl every week," Gyda complained, earning a glare from Rorik.

"Amma is different. I truly love her. I really do. I want to marry her. I want to have a family with her," He explained and let out a scoff, "And you are the last person to shame me for who I fall in love with. You fell in love with a man who was not only married, but a Christian Saxon king."

"Lady Elsewith was pregnant when I was last there," Gyda informed Rorik, smirking while Rorik stared at her with wide eyes.

"What of it?" Rorik quickly asked as he tried to maintain composure.

"As I recall, you bedded her about a half dozen times before she married Alfred. That child could easily be yours," Gyda reminded Rorik, who smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

"Eh, Viking blood to strengthen their royal line, I suppose," He waved her off and Gyda scoffed.

"You're disgusting," She complained as she rolled her eyes at her brother.

"Yet you have spent every waking moment with me since you returned. Do you have any other friends?" He retorted, earning a glare from Gyda, "I am almost two years younger than you, Gyda. You should have a friend your own age that isn't your little brother. A girl, preferably."

"Oh, come on. Sigurd was a wonderful friend!" Gyda shouted as she looked offended, "He was my best friend!"

"Who was our uncle. You need a friend that isn't within this family," He told her, only to quickly cut his sister off as she was on the verge of speaking up, "And don't even think about befriending Amma."

"Why not?" Gyda groaned as she rolled her eyes at Rorik.

"Because I don't feel like telling the woman I love things about me that I don't want her to know," Rorik admitted, a disappointed look on his face.

"Like what? That you bedded half of the royal staff in Wessex...Or that I could stand in the middle of the trading station in Kattegat and look in any direction and lay eyes on at least one woman you have already bedded," Gyda explained, earning a hateful glare from her younger brother.

"Shut up," He snapped at her coldly, "Things are different."

"Different?" She asked, letting out a loud humorless laugh, "Nothing has changed! You all act like it has but it hasn't. Father will not last as King of Kattegat. He wasn't meant to be King, he was meant to be exploring the world. Mother was always the ruling type, not him," She paused and scoffed, "And what is this thing Mother and Bjorn have with this woman Gunnhild, huh? It's disgusting. Not to mention, it's pathetic that Father has to share Mother with a woman. Oh, and what about the fact that they wish for us to be a family now, huh? It's a joke! It won't last. It won't be long before they leave us again like they always do."

Rorik was silent for a long moment as he heard his sister's words. Gradually, he began to glare at her as he stepped forward. "Were you always this miserable and spiteful or did this come about because you were forced to leave your little Christian pet to come home?" He suddenly asked, causing Gyda to look offended, "Mother and Father have made mistakes, but they are trying. Can't you see that? And if Mother wishes to be with Gunnhild, let her. If Father says it's okay, it's okay. He's the one married to her, not you. So get over yourself, Gyda. It's not all about you."

Rorik scoffed, shaking his head at Gyda before walking away.

____

At the gates of Kattegat, Ylva stood in place near Bjorn, watching as the traitors were brought forward as the crowd shouted and demanded their demise. Torvi, Gunnhild, Rorik, Ubbe, and Lagertha stood nearby as well, watching the scene intently.

"These men are all guilty," Bjorn announced loudly as he gestured down to the men kneeling before him, "They committed crimes against their own people, against you. And I know you all think they deserve to die. But there's something far worse than death, far worse," He explained and Ylva turned to him with wide eyes.

She shook her head at him, giving him a look that told him she did not agree with what he was about to do.

"I will banish them for life," Bjorn continued to explain, not even bothering to look Ylva's way, "They will become outlaws, Skogarmaors, men of the forests, forever condemned to live in the forest and other deserted places. Their property will be confiscated. They will be branded as Skogarmaors, and they can be killed with impunity. This is much worse than death. They will live not as human beings, but as ghosts. Outside of human society. Everyday forced to regret and remember their decisions and their crimes, yet unable to atone for them. Such is my decision. All in favor, says 'Aye.'"

Ylva looked around, sighing when everyone other than her agreed.

"Then it is decided," Bjorn finished, walking back over to stand beside Ylva while the men were branded on their faces as Skogarmaors.

"Bjorn, please, don't do this," Ylva pleaded as she walked over to Bjorn and grabbed his arm, "You will regret this."

"How could I regret this?" Bjorn complained and let out a large scoff, "This is perfect punishment."

"You are giving them reason to come back and kill us!" Ylva shouted and Bjorn tugged his arm out of her grip.

"Let them try," Bjorn responded, earning a hateful glare from Ylva.

She looked away from Bjorn, unable to stand the sight of her own husband. She had been through it all before. She had been ruling a kingdom on her own for nearly twenty-five years, since she was thirteen. She knew what she was doing and from the looks of it, Bjorn did not yet he refused to listen to her.

As each of them were branded, they ran out of Kattegat. Except one. He looked around, a furious look on his face. "Come on! Kill me!" He shouted before he could be branded, "You'll be doing me a favor!"

The man began to ran toward the gates of Kattegat. However, before he could get far, Gyda suddenly appeared knocked the man out with the butt of her ax. She smirked, spitting on the ground before she turned to exchange an impressed look with Rorik and her father.

The last one was branded and as he was brought toward the gates, he took a moment to look Ylva directly in the eyes.

Once he was out of the gates, he turned, staring at each of them as the gates closed.

"You made the right decision," Lagertha had told her son as she walked over to him.

"No, he didn't," Ylva scoffed and Bjorn turned to give her an annoyed look.

"You don't know that," Bjorn complained and Ylva avoided eye contact with him.

"Ivar would have never set them free," Halig suddenly spoke up, causing Bjorn and Ylva to turn to their son with wide eyes.

"But I'm not Ivar," Bjorn reminded his son in a calm tone.

"Nor are you me, it would seem," Ylva suddenly spoke up, causing Bjorn to turn to look at her as she shook her head, "It was a mistake not to kill them, Bjorn. I have been through this before. My mother spared her brother long ago and years later, he came back for vengeance. He nearly took the crown of Ashton away from me, nearly killing Freya, Rorik, and Gyda in the process."

"We will be fine, Ylva," Bjorn complained, looking almost aggravated.

"Of course we will," She responded, causing Bjorn to frown in confusion, "It is our children I'm worried about. Or did you get anything from what I just said? They won't come for us. They'll come for our children, our heirs."

Ylva rolled her eyes at Bjorn, scoffing before she walked away. One day in power and her husband was already on the verge of getting them killed.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

First chapter!! I hope you liked it :)

this book will DEFINITELY have more content involving ylva and her children than the other books AND you will see a side of ylva you never did before. A sort of darker side and a more vulnerable side.

I mean, all the loss she's experienced was bound to take a toll sooner or later but not just that, she'll develop more as a character than the rest of the books. (This development is coming late, Ik Lmaooo) But I'll tell you know it's not all for the best. 🤷🏻‍♀️😬 but be ready to see ylva be a total bad ass bitch ESPECIALLY in season 6B. You'll see she's TWICE the man that bjorn and ragnar were. 💀💀

ANYWAYSSS get ready for one hell of a ride.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 33 16
(*COMPLETED*)This is a remake of my fan fiction of the television show 'Vikings'. It mainly focuses on RunΓ₯ - The Daughter of Floki and Helga. RunΓ₯ g...
85.5K 2.6K 37
SPOILERS (4B-6B) Hvitserk Ragnarsson was careless - a Viking through and through. He only cared for raiding, pillaging and fighting - living like a t...
246K 6K 37
Sophie Ealhmunding, a young woman enslaved and thrust into the world of the Vikings, quickly captures the attention of every man in Kattegat, especia...
5.6K 170 13
Once she was no one, unnamed and unloved, lost in the sea of Christianity. But now, she is found and she has been surrounded by something akin to fam...