Dusk & Dawn

By xMah_Bx

{completed} He gave his word with the sunrise, but as night unfolded, she slipped away into the dusk's embrac... More

CAST/MOODBOARDS
1- escapade
3- didn't mean to
4- because why not
5- friday blessings
6- banters
7- back to disneyland
8- lord, in the ring
9- hotline bling
10- shadows of the arena
11- weeknd
12- no, not Gianna
13- time freeze
14- memories bring back
15- break from reality
16- chloe klutz
17- beneath the scars
18- midland county hospital
19- back to the past
20- hello, memories
21- saturday night
22- unspoken thoughts
23- mind-diving
24- skydiving
25- dabbed syringes
26- an ocean of uncertainty
27- bed bound
28- dusk, dark of the dawn
29- night tides into the unkown
30- last of the ring
A/N|| Other books

2- another twenty-one days

174 25 5
By xMah_Bx

• 3 years later

The room was bathed in the dim glow of the tv screen while I leaned into the couch with my beer bottle in hand. Harper's laughter resonated in the room that lazy evening as she tossed the blanket and scuffled for the tv remote. She paused the movie midway before turning to the rest of us.

"I still think Zendaya is lucky, though," Harper declared, a mischievous glint in her eyes. Naomi draped in the blanket groaned in response as she as she flipped the blanket over and dashed to Harper to snatch the remote.

"Oh, Tom is lucky!" She yelled as she struggled to get the remote from Harper.

"Okay, Raine! Cleo! Back me up on this one," Harper demanded.

I had been watching all of their actions subconsciously, but at the mention of my name, I was brought back into my consciousness.

"I think that neither Tom nor Zendaya cares about what we think," Cleo answered, facepalming on getting to Harper before they all turned to me to listen to my opinion.

"This one right here is drunk out of her mind," Naomi shook her head at me as she came over and snatched the empty bottle from my hand. I resisted, but with no energy left in my being, she took it away in a second.

"Play the movie, Harper," Cleo yelled again before giving up on snatching the remote from Harper as well.

"Not until Lane tells us what he thinks," Harper answered. At the mention of Lane's name, my pretty little puppy wagged its tail and found its way to Harper on the bean bag. Naomi recoiled as she scrunched her nose up, returning to the seat beside me.

"Has anyone ever tried skydiving?" I chipped into the conversation, and they all turned to me again.

"Okay, time to sleep, Raine," Naomi patted my hair as she pulled me closer. I snuggled in her folded knees and drew the blanket over my body.

Tears threatened to spill from my eyes when the curtains were pulled apart, revealing the orange reflection of the sunrise that blinded my already half-opened eyes. The morning reflection of the sun— it was the only way to get me to wake up.

I groaned, feeling my body ache all over, plus the headache that was about to split my skull bone in half. I turned to find Harper snoring, her legs planted on Cleo's torso as they sleep. I shook my head at them, seeing how they do not even flinch at the light creeping into Naomi's room.

Once I turn to Naomi with a threatening look, she immediately raised her hand in surrender as she spoke, "I swear you told me to wake you up early no matter what."

My facial muscles relaxed at the remembrance, so I hauled myself out of bed, ignoring Naomi, who took a picture of Harper and Cleo's weird sleeping position.

As soon as I got into my room, I went into the restroom and locked the door. I sighed as I took in my reflection in the mirror before packing my hair in a low bun to wash my face.

As soon as I bend my head towards the basin as I brushed, I felt the liquid streaming down from my nostrils. To my surprise, it was not blood, so I heaved a sigh of relief.

Another day; another life.

The knock on my bathroom door brought me back into my alertness. I struggled to wear back my top, which I had taken off to see the port on my left arm.

"It's Naomi."

Upon hearing that, I left the top as it was and opened the door for her. She only peeped in and nodded, her gaze finding the port on my arm for a second.

"Chemo today?" She asks me in a hushed tone, and I nodded in response. "I put Advil on your table."

"Thank you." I smiled and watch her leave before I lock the door again.

As I headed out of the bathroom after washing up, I changed into a long-sleeved red romper. My body still ached as I drank the coffee Naomi made, still ached as I waved goodbye to my friends, and it still did as I drove to Midland for the weekend.

As I drove into town, I took a glance out the window constantly at each stop sign. Midland is nowhere like Texas, but I liked it better here. It didn't harbor the memories of my father, which give me nightmares in the bare nights. It didn't remind me of who I am, so I could always forget how I lived.

The door to my house was opened by the time I arrived home. I found Gianna drawing on her board in the dining table.

"You're here!" She screamed in excitement as she left the chair and jumped into my arms in no time. My body shook for a second on the impact, but I completely waved it.

"What are you busy drawing?" I asked her.

As if on cue, she immediately went ahead and wrapped the white sheet up and threw me a teasing smile. "You cannot see it until it's done." She replied as she leads me to the living room where we found mom descending down the stairs.

My mother worked two shifts as an ER doctor at the county hospital and so she was always in her uniform scrubs during work and leisure, so her in an animated pajamas was an interesting sight.

"Hi, mom," I greeted her as soon as she got down the stairs.

"How're you, Raine?" She pulled me into a hug as she led me to my chair where the drip stand was placed.

"I'm fine, Mom."

"How is it? Anyone figure it out yet?" She asked me, curious.

"No one, my secret is safe."

She nodded with a smile, and I could only wonder what she'd do to me if she knew that one of my friends already figured me out, a long time ago at that.

She soon fixed my chemo medication into the port and then left to go make some lunch while Gianna dragged a chair from the dining to fill me in on her life in recent times.

My eyes fluttered open gradually, and I found Gianna's silhouette still drawing in the dining room. As I glanced down at the clock, I realized that it had been four hours since I fell asleep.

"Where's Mom?" I asked.

"On call tonight," Gianna answered, and I nodded without saying anything else. I grabbed my phone from my pocket to see my notifications and I found a text from Naomi.

::: When you're back, let's talk

Nov 8th

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

440 91 17
His scent was intoxicating. His arms were the only place I felt safe in. He was my favorite person in the world. And then, he was gone. My name is Ka...
17 1 1
π‘Ίπ’π’Žπ’†π’˜π’‰π’†π’“π’†, 𝒂 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒆 π’˜π’‰π’†π’“π’† 𝒑𝒆𝒐𝒑𝒍𝒆 𝒉𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 π’Šπ’, 𝒂 π’”π’Šπ’π’ˆπ’π’† 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 π’˜π’Šπ’•π’‰ π’‰π’Šπ’” 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 π’šπ’†π’‚π’“π’”...
43 16 16
Years ago, Adam accidentally turned a young woman while under the influence of tainted blood. Psychically linked to her for eternity, he begins to se...
173 8 1
They were lovers, until the very end. CONTAINS: *VIOLENCE *BLOOD *CHARACTER DEATH *ANGST ANGST ANGST WORK IS MINE! DON'T COPY OFF IT AND IF YOU WA...