The Rogues

By _kaywrites

Control. It's what Evelyn's known her whole life...being controlled by a croupt government run society called... More

1- Intro to Detra
2- Control
3- Matched
4- The Bride
5-No Mans Land
6- Stitches
7- The Test
8- Bullseye
9- Fists out
10- Heads up
11- Bruises
12- The Woods
13 - Moonlight
14- The Girl
15- Smoke
16-Arrows
17-Flame
18- Mind Melt
19- Rooftop
20- The Twins
21- Trapped
22- Fury
23- Five Hours
24- Armor
26- Jailbreak
27- Power
28- Crimson
29- Heavenly
30- The Martyr
31- Breathe
32- The light
33- Forget Me
34- Don't Look Death in the Eye
35- When the Alarm Sounds
36- Let go
37- The Rising
38- Deception
39- Touch
40- The Gates
Chapter 41- Her Power

25- A Weapon

5.1K 168 267
By _kaywrites

Dominic
Usually, my mind skipped in a million places, but in this moment, the only thing that ran through my head was the thought of reaching my arms out to her and begging, Please don't leave.

I could feel the moment of uneasiness travel through everyone as soon as the words came out of the troopers mouth. I'd never seen fear reign in Evelyn's eyes. Even in the woods when she was attacked, I didn't see it in her. Though as soon as we heard the troopers retreat, her face was painted with terror.

"He wants to see her."

He? My guess was it had to be Evelyn's mate. Though I had no idea her mate worked for Detra gov, and worse, was high enough ranked to have access to the Chamber. How important was this man to Detra?

Stay focused. I tried to remind myself, Don't forget what this mission was really about.

Kyler nodded his head and gestured us out the door. He slipped around a quiet corner and we all followed him into the darkness, hoping we wouldn't be seen by other troopers. I didn't know what he had in mind, but usually his ideas were something logical. I never argued the fact that he thought through things more thoroughly than I. But I thought my logic was practical, The more thinking you do during a fight, the less time you have to throw your punches.

"Okay." Kyler whispered with a heavy pant of breath, " We need to bring Evelyn to where they want us to take her."

"No." I said immediately, "Were not splitting up. We just don't take her there, it's simple."

"I know the man we are dealing with here..." Kyler scanned the masked faces of everyone, then met the only eyes of Evelyn's, "...If her face isn't in his office in five minutes, troopers will invade the whole area looking for her and our plan will be done for."

"Now what do we do?" asked Celeste worriedly. I wondered the same thing. Evelyn was silent. I looked at her trying to see a change in her expression, hoping my glance would maybe provoke her to say something. She was still silent. I knew she couldn't see my face through my mask, and I was glad. I didn't want her to see the look of worry I wore under my helmet.

"I'll go with Evelyn." said Kyler, "You guys get the Immune people out, then come back for us. If you guys dont come back within an hour, I'll say I'm taking her back into testing and I'll sneak us out the exit."

"I'll go with Evelyn." I protested. As much as I wanted to see the looks of hope on the faces of the Immunes as I was freeing them from their cells, I wanted to stay with Evelyn. I hated that I wanted to stay with her. I hated that I would rather be with her than free the Immunes. It wasn't like me.

"No, Dominic. I know my way around here better, and I know how to communicate with the guards if I have to. You and Celeste know where they keep the Immunes, so it's best if you go there."

Kyler was right. It was probably for the best that I didn't go with Evelyn...I didn't even want to begin to imagine what I would do to that man who wanted to see her so badly. I'd probably mess up the whole mission by blowing a bullet through his chest if he laid a single hand on her.

I peered over at Evelyn again, but her head was looking to her feet and her lips were shut. I wanted her to say something...anything. I just wanted to hear the sound of her soft voice, or see the colors of yellow and brown flash in her hazel eyes. But she remained quiet and her gaze stuck to the floor. I heard nothing but the pace of her nervous breath that she was trying to hide.Her breath caught for a moment and then...she spoke.

"I want to see him."

"What?" I turned to her, making sure I heard her words right.

"It's okay." She nodded and took a deep breath, "I want to hear what he wants to say to me. We follow Kylers plan."

My heart fell to my stomach. Though I knew it was the best thing to do, I really wanted her to say something different. I wanted her to protest Kyler...tell him she wanted me to come with her. That was a silly thing for me to think though. It was a silly idea for me to want to go with her to begin with.

The clatter of footsteps neared us, and we halted out of the corner as quick as we could, and as unsuspiciously as possible. Though I didn't think three guards jumping out of a corner with a rogue prisoner was very normal looking to the troopers of the Chamber. Before I knew it Kyler was already trailing Evelyn opposite from me and Celeste. It happened too quickly for me to even comprehend. Celeste was now bugging my arm to go with her the other way, but it was as if my body was being pulled towards Evelyns. I stood stiff, watching her brown hair brush against her back while she peered her head over her shoulder at me. A quick breath escaped her lips as she tried to meet my eyes under my helmet, but felt it felt like she was already a mile away. I stepped my foot out towards her but Celeste pulled me back.

"We need to go. She'll be fine."

I turned my head at Celeste, then back forwards to find Evelyn. And just like that..she was gone. I stared blankly in front of me, trying to imagine that she was still there. Trying to calm my nerves with the sense of her warm touch on the bare skin of my cheek. I reminded myself how good it felt when she touched me, like a pool of heat flooding my cold skin. How she could rip every racing thought right out of my head and focus my attention to her. I still had a hard time deciding if what she was doing to me was good or bad. With Verena, I knew it was bad but convinced myself it was good. With Evelyn though, I wasn't so sure if I could tell the difference between what was good or bad.

"Come on Dom." Celeste nudged me again.

"Ok." I nodded, shaking myself out of my gaze

Focus Dominic. Focus on the mission.

Celeste and I trailed through the familiar halls of the Chamber. It was all so surreal to me. It had been eight years but it felt like yesterday. Like I had just been dragged by my hands and feet by a swarm of doctors, leading me into the evil mouth of the lab. The lab. Before I knew it, It was there...right in front of me again. My eyes lit in horror of the sight of the large white doors. Suddenly I was a kid again. I could still hear the clicks of the code being pressed into the wall, my body tingling at the sound. I could still feel the burning sensation that churned through my veins and bursted to my brain like a bullet was being shot through my skull everytime my body was strapped to a machine. I could still feel the injection of hot liquid stinging in my flesh whenever they decided I was going to test a new drug. I could still see the blood trickling from my temples and down my cheeks whenever they tried to pick at my brain. I often wondered how I could have possibly survived what I did. My mothers words and my promise to Celeste were the only things that pushed me to live. Stay strong Dominic.

I noticed Celeste gaze at the lab as we passed it too. I wondered what thoughts ran through her mind. If she still had flashes of memories of what happened to her, or if she had just shut it out, erasing it all from her mind. I wished I could erase it all, but it's not easy to hide scars after they are cut so deep.

"It still haunts me." Celeste held her breath as we both peered at the giant white doors.

"Me too." I muttered softly. This was the only time me and Celeste had ever talked about the lab. And we probably will never talk about it again.

We headed down the hall, the floor leading me in a familiar route, it was like my feet knew exactly where to take me. That's when we approached the door. The giant black door as dark as night, that frightening grin of a frame smiling at me with an evil smirk.

"The door of doom." Celeste stared at it, shaking an awful memory

"Thats a stupid name."

"You were the one who gave it that name." She tsked

"I know. Its stupid."

"How do we get in?" Celeste peered around, looking for something to pry open the lock. "I can use my knives? We can pry it open."She shrugged

"No." I said, " We don't want to attract attention to the frame once we're inside. We need a key."

"Well where the hell are we gonna get a key, huh?"

It was as if my cries had been my leverage, reeling luck in by a chain. A guard turned around the corner, a key rested between their gloved palms, like they were preparing to unlock the door to the Immunes for us. They stopped and looked at Celeste and I for a confused moment.

"Looks like the odds are in our favor." I whispered to Celeste and smirked under my helmet.

"State your business here." The guard demanded, her tone impatient.

"Were taking prisoners to the lab." Celeste replied, swallowing a breath.

"No." The guard straightened her back "That's what I was sent to do."

"Well uh...there must be a mix up." Celeste awkwardly answered .

"There are never mix ups." The guards voice picked up with anger as she marched towards us, her hand hovering over the rake latched in her belt, "You guys aren't supposed to be here."

" Shit." Celeste mumbled scarcely. Oh please Cel.

"Imposters! I'm going to have to take you to the Sector administrator." Her voice grew more aggressive, her body hulking closer.

I turned to Celeste, it was as if I watched her dark eyes roll straight through her mask. She knew me well enough to figure out my plan. I shrugged and marched my chest up to the guard. "Sorry sweetie, but that's not going to work. Pardon me."

She ripped the rake out of her pocket, but before she could even press the button to send the blade bolting towards my stomach, I reeled my fist back, and launched my arm forward, plunging my knuckles hard into the side of her armored helmet, twisting her neck to the side. She stumbled back, the rake in her hands hitting the floor with a ping, along with her body tumbling backwards, hitting the ground like stone. Out cold in a single punch.

I shook out my fist, it pulsed with pain for a moment, but the burn quickly went away. Damn, I forgot how hard those helmets are.

I could hear my breath beating under my mask as I peered over the guards body. I reached down and grabbed the key from her hand. As I was standing up, I took my helmet off and tossed it under my arm so I could swallow a cold taste of fresh air. I picked up my hand, wiping sweat from my brow and looked at Celeste. Her helmet was off too. Her long black hair laid messily in a tangled braid over her shoulder, sweat shining her forehead from the bulky mask. I smirked and she shot an eye roll.

"There could have been a more civilized way to get that key."

"Probably." I shrugged, "But what's the fun in that."

Celeste tossed another eyeroll. I was surprised her eyes weren't stuck to the back of her head yet. I threw the key and Celeste caught it in her fingers.

"You ready?" Celeste said, sticking the key in the door.
I took a deep breath. I thought of Evelyn for a second. I wondered how she was doing...if everything was okay. Focus.

I took a breath again, then nodded my head, "Let's free these people."

Evelyn
Kyler gently grabbed my wrist, leading me in his path, assuming he knew where to take me. As I was being dragged away, I twisted my head behind my shoulder to find Dominic. I saw nothing but his darkened mask, but it was as if I could see the look of worry in his blue eyes piercing right through. I wanted so badly to say something to him...maybe even tell him to take Kylers place. But I knew I couldn't ask that of him. He wanted nothing more than to free the Immunes, and I didnt want to take that satisfaction away from him. I knew it was better if I stayed quiet.

Having to see Grant wasn't something I didn't expect. I knew he'd want to see me at some point, and I knew I'd one day have to face him again. Grant Holden was nothing to me. He thought he scared me, but he didn't.

"Are you okay Evelyn?" Kyler whispered

"Im great."

"That sounded sarcastic."

"It was."

"Kyler?" I questioned as we trailed down the endless halls of the Chamber

"What is it?" He replied sincerely

"Earlier when you said you knew Grant...how exactly do you know him?"

Kyler paused, stopping our tracks right as we were about to approach the staircase that led up to the officials offices. I heard him take a deep breath under his mask before his smooth voice sounded, "Do you remember that story I told you...the one about the Immune girl? The experiment?"

"Yes." I replied confused with what that had to do with Grant.

"Well...Grant isn't who you think he is."

"What do you mean?"

Kyler paused again, his breath heavier, "Grant isn't a government official...he's a scientist."

"What?" My eyes lit in shock, "That can't be! His...his family is known for being one of the major officials in Detra Government! I've grown up with him."

"That's all just an alias. His entire family runs the Chamber's experiments. He was the one who performed the 'Mind Melt' on that girl, and he's recently performed on any other Immune. Whenever Dominic, Celeste and I were experimented on..it was by a Holden. By his family."

"Oh my god." I tried to wrap my head around what I was hearing. A scientist? What did a scientist want with a healthcare worker? It just didn't make any sense.

"We should go." Kyler nodded with a sigh, "Before he gets suspicious and starts looking for us." I nodded back, and our feet clattered up the long staircase. As I was climbing higher, I peeked below and caught a glimpse of the tiny exit door at the bottom. That's where Kyler and I needed to be in an hour.

We reached the top of the stairs, and an array of troopers lined the hallway, patiently waiting for my arrival it seemed. Kyler pulled me forward, tugging me aggressively so he fit in with the other troopers. I felt the touch of a hand grasp my opposite arm, and I jumped in response. It was another trooper, holding me tightly like he was controlling a wild animal that was clawing through a cage. Geez buddy, how scary do I look to you?

Two white doors were held open, greeting us inside a white room that was filled with more troopers. It was as if they had every ounce of security available in one room just for me. It was the stupidest thing I'd ever seen. I'm a runaway, not some highly trained ruthless assassin.

I entered the room and peered around the white walls, feeling Kylers grip on my arm tighten as the thud of footsteps entered the room.

He entered wearing an expensively tailored black suit. His lavish taste had to be known wherever he went. His dark hair styled neatly in a quiff, and his sickly pale skin seemed like it had aged ten years since the last time I saw him. It had only been a few weeks, and somehow he managed to grow a full beard. He wanted to make greed his entrance. Greed and power. My eyes filled with anger at the sight of his opulent approach.

"Well look who it is." Grant's voice dark and unnerving, his eyes skimming me like he had just hooked a fish on a line. "It took awfully long to find you, but I knew your little runaway act wouldnt last very long."

If there weren't so many troopers around, I might have just ripped his head off right there. I forgot how much I couldn't bear even the sound of his voice.

"It's nice to see your pretty face again Evelyn." A wicked smirk lined his lips as he moved closer to me.

"I can't say the same for you." I forced a sarcastic smile.

"Still stubborn?" His face was close to mine, the smell of some swanky champaign radiated off his breath, "Because I can fix that."

It was hard for me to contain my anger with his vile face so close to mine. I glanced down at my wrists...seeing the scars of his fingernails when he dug his hand into my flesh. It filled me with resentment. As he leaned closer I picked up my leg and dug my knee into his gut.

I think I'm spending too much time around Dominic.

Grant clutched his stomach with a moan and a herd of troops surrounded me, grabbing hold of my limbs. One trooper ripped a rake out of their belt and swung the butt of it over my body. I held my breath.

"No!" Grant stuck out his hand gesturing the troopers to halt, carefully wobbling back onto his feet in pain. Seeing him ache filled me with an overwhelming amount of satisfaction. The trooper lowered the rake and I released my breath. "If anyones gonna hurt this disrespectful son of a bitch..." He snatched the rake out of the troopers hand and pressed the button, sending a blade bolting towards my body. My heart felt like it stopped. "...It's gonna be me." He took the blade and traced it lightly on my cheek, my mind racing with a thousand thoughts of what he might do. I squeezed my eyes shut, feeling the cool knife brush down my skin. I was not about to show him my fear. I opened my eyes, looking directly into his with a cold stare.

"Don't worry..." he removed the knife from my face, my heart feeling a tug of relief. "...You're too valuable to shed blood right now."

"Valuable?" I laughed and rolled my eyes. "I'm not some sort of trophy, Grant."

"Oh you're worth far more than a trophy, Evelyn." He lifted his brow, eyeing me up.

"Please." I shook my head, "The drop of liquor on your lips is worth more than me. Just because you want someone to keep your bed warm doesnt make me a prize."

"You think that's why I want you?" He let out a deep laugh that tore through my skin. Why else would he want me?

"Oh Evelyn, I could snap my fingers and there would be a girl in my bed, I'm not concerned about that. Marrying you would have just been a pro to my plans. Don't get me wrong, your beauty is striking, but it's what lies inside that head of yours that is worth much more than a pretty face."

"I don't understand."

"Dont act stupid you little rat!" He shouted in my face.

"What do you want from me?" I shouted back, the anger fuming in my tone.

"You know exactly what I want!"

"I don't know what youre talking about!"

"Ugh, you really are difficult aren't you Miss Kane?" He studied my body that was grasped by the hold of troopers, a look of scheming on his face. "Fine." He said, "If you aren't going to confess, then I'm going to pick it out of your pretty brain myself. Guards!"

The troopers around me tightened their grasp, picking me up as I wailed trying to break their grip. I looked helplessly up at Kyler, he had no choice but to do as Grant said, though I knew he didn't want to. "Get off of me!" I screamed, but it was as if my cries were silent. They lifted my body up and slammed it down on a long white table, strapping my hands in legs into shackles and pushing my chest down so I wouldn't pop up. Now. Now my heart was racing. Sweat pooled on my brow as I watched the guards shuffle around, pulling a hulky apparatus into the room.

"Grant!" I pleaded, "I don't know what you want from me!"

"Yes you do!" He stepped into my view. His hands were held behind his back as he peered over my face. "Turn it on." He nodded.

My breath quickened as they pressed tiny straps that hooked to the machine on the sides on my temples. My mind raced with a thousand thoughts of what they might do to me. I just didn't understand what they wanted me to confess. I was nothing. Nothing but a healthcare worker unhappy with her life. The only thing different about me was that I was an Immune, but that wasn't all that special, there were hundreds of Immunes. Grants hand hovered over the machine, ready to click it on. I said I wasn't going to show fear, but truly I was frightened.

"Wait!" A doctor came running into the room, a notepad in his hand, his voice urgent. "It's possible she doesn't know."

Grant picked up his hand, and I took a deep breath in alleviation. "How could she not know?" His tone was sharp and brooding like a cut of a knife.

"Her mind can't possibly be trained to know how to use it."

Use what? I lifted my neck as the guards unstrapped me from the table.

"Well, well Miss Evelyn, it seems you really have no idea, no?"

I sat up and rubbed my temples, still in shock from the machine being hooked to my brain. The idea of them turning it on made my head burn itself. "No." I panted, "I don't." My tone was filled with aggravation.

"It's your mind." A wicked grin painted his lips

"My mind?"

"You think you're the prize, but really it's what you possess that I want to grasp a hold of. What I want to control."

What I possess?

"Your mind isnt a trophy Evelyn...It's a weapon."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Kairos By leigh heasley

Science Fiction

842K 23K 28
Time travel is legal and Ada Blum is looking for love. But what happens when one of her charming bachelors from the past makes his way to the present...