Survive, if you can // John M...

By gottabesomethin

Camari is an anxiety filled girl who has a tragic past and is sent to the ground. She struggles there from lo... More

//01// Arrangement
//02// Freedom At Whatever Cost (smut)
//03// Broken Flaws
//04// Unknown Goodbye
//05// Helpful Distractions (smut)
//06// Lost Humanity
//07// Daddy Issues
//08// True Lies
//09// Welcome Home
//10// Coach Cam (smut)
//11// Gone Again
//12// Breaking Again (end of season 1)
//13// "Rescued"
//14// Alone
//15// Back To Basics
//16// Uncharted Territory
//17// Stranded
//18// Imprisoned (end of season 2)
//19// Reunited (smut)
//20// Argument
//21// Yours Truly
//22// Bad Impressions
//23// Going Separate Ways
//24// Fighting Dirty
//25// Entitled Revenge (end of season 3)
//26// Goodbyes
//27// Residual Attraction
//28// Words Unsaid (smut)
//29// Permanent Farewell
//30// Salvation (end of season 4)
//31// Ai Hod Yu In
//32// Homecoming
//33// Earth; Radioactive Hellhole
//34// Covert Operation
//35// Exit
//36// Shameful Actions
//37// Betrayal To Success (end of season 5)
//38// Planet Alpha
//39// Swarmed and Hypnotized
//40// New Earth; Hallucinogenic Hellhole
//41// Problems Leading To Solutions
//42// Suspicions Grow
//43// Accidental Investigation
//44// The Wrong Side
//45// Deferred, Jailed, Offered
//46// Kep Oso Kru Klin (end of season 6)
//47// Fake Royalty
//48// Finally, A Love Triangle (smut)
//49// Utter Camaraderie
//50// Realization
//52// Lessons In Life
//53// La Muerte Es La Vida
//54// Decisions, Decisions (smut)
//55// Home, For Real This Time (finale)
A Thank You 🥺 (I love you)

//51// Hostage Situation

415 14 5
By gottabesomethin

WARNINGS: swearing, sexual tension, violence.

"Up!! Now!!"

I groan as my eyelids start to burn and the noise slams into my ears. "Go away."

"Nope," John's voice tells me.

I open my eyes, finding him standing by the window where the curtains are recently opened. He's not wearing a shirt and he's looking at me in disappointment. I sigh, sitting up and pulling the covers with me so they're over my chest.

"I wanna lay in bed all day," I say, leaning my head back against the headboard.

"I may have done something," he says, staring at the ground like a guilty child.

"What is it?" I ask, eyebrows raising.

He sighs, meeting my eyes. "You seemed really upset and scared so I decided to try to make you feel better-"

"What did you do, John?" I press, losing my patience.

"The Children of Gabriel have never met their parents and your parents are gone so I figured you'd want them to have what you can't anymore. I planned this party thing for them to meet each other again," he says, rushing through the words.

He's right. I've heard of their parental issues and I instantly wanted to do something. They could have something I've wanted since I was little. Sure, I had a mom but she was never very attached to me. She spent her motherly advice on trying to keep me alive. That's why she trained me for murder.

"That's sweet, but-"

"It's too late now. I already planned the damn thing and you have to go since it was Kaylee's dream and it needs to look like it was your idea," he says, shaking his head. "I just want you to forget about the problems for a few hours."

"Alright," I say, rolling my eyes. "I'll go to the stupid thing. First, I have to bring Russel his food."

"Sounds great," he says sarcastically, grinning and raising his eyebrows.

"I'm naked under here," I say in a low voice. "If you have sex with me, I won't have to see him."

He breathes a laugh. "No, you should go. It'll be good to get out of bed."

"Fine," I say, sighing and standing so I'm in front of him. His eyes glue themselves to my bare body. "You're the one missing out."

I walk around him and into our closet, hearing him let out a shaky breath once I'm gone. I grab a pair of jeans and a black tank top that I tuck into the hem of the jeans. John told me yesterday that it would be colder today so I grab a dark red, knitted sweater and throw it around myself. It's long and has large gaps between the thread. It doesn't seem like it'll keep me very warm but I honestly don't care.

Since I'm scared that if I see John, I'll jump his bones, I head quickly out the door without a second glance in his direction. It doesn't take long for me to get outside and when I do, I walk directly to the metal box we're keeping Russel in. Well, it isn't Russel. I'm not sure why I'm still calling him that in my head. Once I reach the door, I find a Faithful girl with blonde hair standing with the tray.

"I can take it to him, holiness. It really is no problem," she says, nodding.

I grab the tray from her hands anyway, saying nothing and going inside once the Wonkru guards have opened the doors for me. I take a few steps forward before I see Sheidheda sitting against the back wall. Once he sees me, he smiles a bit. I frown, walking forward and placing the tray on a small table with a chess board on it. Then I go to the larger table and grab his other tray. After I've collected it, I head right for the door.

"Indra told you."

I stop in my tracks, turning to find him standing in front of the chess table. "I have no idea what you're talking about-"

"You know that I'm not Russel," he says, stepping closer to me.

I tense just a bit. "Why would you think that?"

He grins, taking the tray from me and leaning down to place it on the floor. "Because you're scared."

I shake my head. "Nothing scares me."

"I should," he responds.

"But alas," I say, shrugging and clenching my jaw, "you don't."

He smirks, turning and sitting at the chess table. The pieces are silver and golden. I played on the Ark with my mother. She taught me all the strategy and tactics. She didn't just want me to be able to kick ass, she wanted me to be smart. She wanted me to know how to make smart and strategic decisions without leaving myself exposed. Chess is a good teacher. She was a good teacher.

"Do you play?" he asks, gesturing to the board.

I take a deep breath. "My mother taught me."

He grins. "Let's have a game then."

I frown. "Why?"

"Play and maybe you'll find out," he replies easily.

I sigh, moving forward and sitting in the opposite chair. He doesn't need to tell me that I'm going first. If he was going first, he'd have gone already. So, I move one pawn to e4. He very quickly moves to e5. I bring the pawn next to it to d4.

He grins wider. "The Queen's Gambit. Aggressive."

"Make your move," I say, sighing and leaning back.

He takes my pawn, playing along with my tactic. It puts me off at first but then I continue my strategy which is not the Queen's Gambit. The Queen's Gambit has the same first three moves as the Danish Gambit. He might not know that's what I'm doing but he will soon. It's relaxing to let my brain take control and think of something other than my death. The last day or so has been filled with worries of my demise, usually from the man in front of me. I don't feel as threatened anymore.

"So," Sheidheda says as he stares at the board and prepares to move, "where did you get that tattoo?"

I smirk, shifting in my seat. "Like you don't already know."

His angry eyes meet mine. "That is my culture's tradition sitting on your arm. I'd like an explanation."

"Alright," I say, leaning back. "We landed on your territory and we went to war. After a very long story that I don't particularly feel like telling right now, I spent some time in Trikru territory. The second night I spent with a guy. He said he did tattoos and asked if I wanted one. I answered yes without a second thought. Not only because it would help me blend in but also because they're pretty badass."

He sighs, finally moving. "So you slept with this man?"

"Obviously," I reply, moving instantly after he did.

He grins. "How many of my people?"

"It's best if you don't know," I say, narrowing my eyes for a second and smirking.

He frowns now. "I understand. You must not have ever had your father around to give you the proper attention so you moved to other men."

"Not just men," I mumble, gritting my teeth.

"That doesn't change my point," he says, taking his turn.

"Well, to answer your question, I didn't have a father when I was young. I only met him when I was nearly eighteen. He was a good man," I say, nodding.

"An orphan then," he says, one eyebrow raising. "Would you like to tell me how they died?"

"Not particularly," I answer, taking my turn.

His eyebrows raise at my move. "I'm intrigued now."

"You shouldn't be," I say, crossing my arms over my chest. "My life has been interesting but there's no reason to want to hear about it. Pain may be intriguing to you but others have the good sense to steer clear of shit that'd make them hurt."

"Whatever you say won't hurt me so I'm still very much interested," he says.

I breathe out an aggravated breath through my nose. "My mother was executed on the Ark for stealing a book to give to me. My father died not long ago after being attacked by a serial killer."

"Interesting," he says, moving yet another piece.

"I told you," I say, nodding. "What about your parents then? Did you kill them like you did your Fleimkepa?"

He smirks, keeping his eyes on the board. "You've heard of me."

I shrug. "You have quite the haters club in Trikru. And surprisingly, quite the followers club. Personally, I don't understand the latter but people tend to like to be led. It's easier to follow than lead in all occasions. You seem hellbent on leading though."

"It's what I'm meant to do," he says simply. "They're my people. Tell me how it isn't alright for me to lead them."

"Well, there's so many options to choose from," I say, tapping my chin as if I'm thinking. "I think I'll go with the murdering and the psychopathic tendencies."

He smiles, even laughs a bit. "You use humour to mask your true feelings-"

"Damn right," I say, taking my turn. "Now will you tell me why I'm sitting here with you?"

He shakes his head, moving his own piece and sitting back afterward. "You haven't won yet."

"I don't really care. I'm quite curious," I say, studying the board. "And when I want something, I usually force it into being."

He nods, smiling to himself. "Well, I might as well tell you now. The Eligius III prisoners have teamed up with the Children of Gabriel to take the palace. And your Prime along with it."

"You son of a bitch," I say, standing and rushing to the door.

I bang on the metal and the guards open it very quickly. I run out and toward the palace, finding the doors shut and people watching the walls. My teeth grit as I go to the tavern. Miller is inside, speaking in a hushed voice to Indra.

"What the hell is going on?" I ask as I walk over.

"They've taken the palace. Where have you been?" Indra asks me, shaking her head.

"It doesn't matter. Have they said their conditions?" I ask, eyebrows raising.

"They want Raven and...the Primes," she says, nodding.

I nod too. "Alright. Let's go then. Where's Raven?"

"With Clarke, finding our friends," Miller says, looking over at me.

They're not back yet. I swore I thought they'd be back already. It's been a few days since they left. I hope they aren't dead in a ditch somewhere. Well, the men wanted Clarke, didn't they? At least she's safe. If I can count on someone to keep our people alive, it's Clarke.

"Then we'll stall until they get back," I say, sighing as my brain tells me that isn't an option.

"We can't since we don't know when they're coming back. Or even if they're coming back. We may be on our own for the time being," Indra says, nodding.

I grit my teeth, lowering my voice and moving closer to her. "Then take Sheidheda from his cage and make him help us."

_•_•_

I'm standing at the doors of the palace, feeling exceptionally counterintuitive. Nevertheless, the doors open and we walk inside. Two prisoners have already grabbed us and dragged us into the halls as the doors shut behind us. I swallow hard, finding the people of Sanctum on their knees in the dining hall. They all seem scared. I'm not sure what to say to them. My worries about the Faithful come to a complete halt as I see John on his knees in front of an Eligius prisoner. His eyes widen in fear when he sees me.

"Good," Nikki says when she sees me, grabbing my arm and pulling me toward her. "Where's Raven?"

"She's still scouting," I say, clenching my jaw to keep from punching her in the mouth.

She releases a laugh. "You expect me to believe that?"

I shrug. "It's the truth, so yeah."

"Alright. We'll start with this then," she says, pushing me toward the Faithful. "Tell your followers who you really are."

I sigh, gulping as I stare at their faces. "I am not Kaylee Prime. She's dead. Josephine killed her to give her mind drive to me. My name is Camari Athies. I've been lying to you."

"Daniel's turn."

Someone pushes John forward to stand next to me. "Stall. Indra's coming."

"Okay," he says quietly to me before returning his attention to the crowd. "I'm not Daniel. I'm John Murphy. Your Primes are all dead and we convinced you that we were them so you would follow us."

"Russel."

Some prisoners pull us backward as Sheidheda steps toward the crowd and begins to make a speech. I know it's all for the benefit of time wasting but it's still terrifying to hear his true words. I mean, I spoke to him for a few hours but it wasn't like this. The way he addresses them is as if he's talking to a bug he's crushed beneath his shoe.

"How much longer?" John whispers to me.

"Not long, I promise," I say quietly, reaching for his hand.

I don't get the chance to take it as Nikki pulls me up and points her gun at the back of my head from behind. Loud gasps from the Sanctumites follow her actions. The cold metal on my skull is a dull moment. It makes me contemplate what I've done to get myself in this position. Maybe I should've tried harder to convince Raven not to put those men in the reactor. My ears come back into focus as I hear John's voice.

"No, please. Don't hurt her."

"This is what it felt like after you murdered my husband and pressed a gun to my head," Nikki says, ignoring him.

"Please. I'm begging you. Let her go."

"John, it's alright. I love you," I say quickly, shutting my eyes. "I don't blame you for this, Nikki. I'd be doing the same thing to you if you'd killed him. If you need to kill me for closure then go ahead. But you'll be giving John the same feeling you have right now. He won't ever stop trying to kill you. I wish I could change that but I never will. He'll kill you for this. But I don't know. Maybe that's what you want."

"I want justice," she says, voice cracking.

"I didn't kill your husband," I say slowly. "He died a hero, saving every last one of us. If it weren't for him, we'd all be dead. I think that's pretty admirable, don't you?"

Just then, a loud crash sounds from the opposite side of the room and John yells in Trig to get down. I feel his arms around my waist as he pulls me to the ground. That's when the sound of bullets begins. It stops quickly after that, our people taking control of the room.

John's hands go to either side of my face, eyes examining me closely. "Are you alright?"

"You were the one being held hostage," I say, throwing my arms around his neck and pulling him toward me.

"If I knew this is what getting held hostage got me, I'd do it more often," he says, hands on my back.

I laugh a bit, pulling away and shoving my lips to his roughly. He's not shocked by my actions. He knew I'd do this. We've come to a point in our relationship where he knows my moves before I make them. It would be impossible to play chess against him since we'd know each other's strategies. This makes me wonder if he even plays chess.

"Do you know how to play chess?" I ask him, pulling away.

He laughs a bit, shaking his head. "A little. Definitely not well."

"Maybe I'll teach you," I say, smiling softly and running my thumb along his cheekbone.

He grins. "I think I'd like that."

WORD COUNT: 2682

.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

337K 8.9K 21
Maeve Lawrence was a normal girl in Highschool with a little friend group. Until there's a new kid in her apartment area who starts to stand up for h...
404K 10.9K 22
where jessie tanner meets peter parker and everything changes... ...or where the youngest Avenger bumps into the newest superhero of Queens and she h...
269K 5K 29
Finding their way back to the Queen Mary this group of Youtubers have an encounter with someone that changes their perspective on the paranormal.
157K 2.5K 20
eccedentesiast: someone who hides their pain behind a smile. enemies to lovers _ disclaimer: i do not own criminal minds and in no way am i trying t...