The Rogues

Av _kaywrites

Control. It's what Evelyn's known her whole life...being controlled by a croupt government run society called... Mer

1- Intro to Detra
2- Control
3- Matched
4- The Bride
5-No Mans Land
6- Stitches
7- The Test
8- Bullseye
9- Fists out
10- Heads up
11- Bruises
12- The Woods
13 - Moonlight
14- The Girl
15- Smoke
16-Arrows
17-Flame
18- Mind Melt
19- Rooftop
20- The Twins
21- Trapped
22- Fury
24- Armor
25- A Weapon
26- Jailbreak
27- Power
28- Crimson
29- Heavenly
30- The Martyr
31- Breathe
32- The light
33- Forget Me
34- Don't Look Death in the Eye
35- When the Alarm Sounds
36- Let go
37- The Rising
38- Deception
39- Touch
40- The Gates
Chapter 41- Her Power

23- Five Hours

6K 168 294
Av _kaywrites

Evelyn

It was 7 a.m : seven hours until we would arrive in Detra.

It was an early morning, but that gave us all day to prepare for the heist. Waiting seven more hours felt like waiting seven weeks,my anticipation kept me on the edge of my seat.

Cassian and Lani got me up, and we ate breakfast outside the dining hall so we could further discuss our plans without letting anyone else hear. If Theo found out what we were doing...he'd have all our heads on a rake. I didn't understand that though, one way or another people were going to notice when a group of new Immunes showed up the next morning. I knew Theo would not be happy about it, but we were willing to face him after the plan went through. Assuming it would be successful.

I hadn't seen Dominic since last night. I couldn't help but wonder if he was purposely tying to avoid me. Did he regret kissing me again?

Stop overthinking Ev, it's only 7am. The days hardley started.

Kyler and Celeste were also nowhere to be found, but Cassian assured me they'd all be back soon. Cassian shoved a piece of bacon in his mouth and glanced at Lani. She gave him a sly smirk, then they both looked at me impatiently, like they were waiting for me to say something.

I lowered my lips from my coffee mug and shifted my eyes in confusion, "What?"

They glanced at each other again, then shot their gazes back at me. Cassian leaned in forwards in his seat, I thought if he'd scoot any farther he'd fall right out.

"Why are you guys looking at me like that?"

"Ohh nothing." Cassian blushed and waved his hand

"Really." My expression filled with annoyance

"Oh, Evelyn" Lani leaned forward "Don't hide it."

"Hide what?"

"Sweetie..." Cassian rolled his eyes, "..We are about to risk our lives tonight going back to dreaded Detra and entering the unfathomable Chamber, and you haven't been able to knock a smile off your lips since you woke up."

I was smiling? I didn't even notice, though ever since last night, my body had a different feeling to it. The feeling wasn't bad, not at all. In fact I really enjoyed it. It was just...warmness. I guess it put a smile on my face too.

"I'm...uh, just happy we're going to try and save those people in Detra, that's all."

"Oh please Evelyn, what do I look like to you, a fool?"

"Don't answer that question Ev." Said Lani

Cassian rolled his eyes, and Lani rolled hers back. Cassian and Lani were the most unlikely of friends, they'd never miss a good argument or a hurtful insult to throw at another. If I didn't know them, I would have mistaken them as enemies rather than best friends.

"Anyways..."Cassian continued, " ...Dominic had the same look on his face when I saw him earlier. A smile on Dominic is rarer than a male Hexer."

" You saw Dominic!" My eyes lit up. I knew Cassian and Lani could see the worry in my face.

"A-ha!" Cassian glowed, "I knew there was something between you two!" He glanced over to Lani, "Didn't I tell you Lan, I knew it!"

"No, I told you first!"

"No way!"

They barked at each other as I held my hand to my cheek. My skin felt like coals of a firepit, the color of rose blushing in my face. I wasn't trying to hide anything, I just wasn't quite sure what was between me and Dominic. He was either crossed or spilling out his feelings, it made my mind tangle with confusion. But whatever happened between us last night...it felt real.

"So..." Cassian studied my flustered look, "...what happened?"

"Um well..." speaking about it,I could hardly contain the warm feeling in my chest. "...We may have kissed."

"Kissed?!" Lanis eyes lit with excitement

"twice." I mumbled under my breath

"Twice!" Cassian shot up from his seat, grasping his hands to his head. "I can't believe this...is Dominic Jones...moving on? I didn't think this day would ever come!"

"Shhh Cass." I gestured to him to sit down and he flopped in his seat.

"I'm sorry." He said " I just didn't think Dominic would ever learn to trust a woman again. How'd you do it? Don't tell me you have mind powers too!"

"What? No." I shook my head, " I don't know what happened...I just..." I sighed, "...I'm able to see through to him. He thinks people see him as nothing but cold and heartless, so when I finally saw him as something more...I think he liked that."

" My eyes are sweating." Cassian pretended to weep, " My little Dom's finally opening up."

"Cassian, I don't think little is the word to describe him, he's half your size." Lani eyed Cassian up

"I'm older!"

"Ya by like three months."

"Still."

"Anyways..." Lani rolled her eyes, then turned to me with a smile. " I'm glad you're making him happy Ev. He needs it."

When Lani said that I felt a swarm of butterflies dance in my stomach. I couldn't help myself but smile. Though half of our conversations ended in arguing, there was something about Dominics cockyness I liked. I'd never thought i'd admit it but I enjoyed being around him. I enjoyed it a lot.

Even after everything, there was still a part of me that felt he didn't fully trust me. That she's still tugging at his thoughts. I didn't think she'd ever leave his head.

I was startled out of my thoughts by a thump that's landed in front of me on the table. I glanced at the solid object, I could recognize that black leather suit, bullet proof vest and shielded helmet anywhere. It was trooper armor.

"Went fishing?" Cassian raised his eyebrow, peering over my head.

"Sure as hell." I turned around and Celeste stood over me, proudly admiring the suit, " Caught some catfish."

Cassian leaned in to eye up the suit. He picked up the helmet, and held it to his nose, dropping it immediately after. " God, catfish probably smells better than this!"

"Sorry it doesn't meet your standards Cass, next time I'll pick up a trooper that smells like roses." Celeste snapped with her signature attitude

"Actually I prefer vanilla, maybe cinnamon, or even—"

Before Cassian could continue Celeste picked a blade out of her pocket and tossed it in front of her. It cut through the air with a whoosh, that barely missed the dark skin of Cassian's cheek and stuck into the tree behind him.

"Okay Celeste!" Cassian shot his hands up in fright, " Roses will do!"

Cassian turned around and ripped the knife out of the tree. He reeled back his shoulder and threw it forward, the knife flying back at Celeste. She effortlessly swung her arm up and caught the knife mid-air, brushing dust off the handle before spinning it between her fingers.

"Cassian...don't ever, ever touch my blades again, okay?" Celeste tossed him a sarcastic smirk

"If you don't want your prized possessions touched, then maybe don't hurl them at me! Wouldn't want anything to happen to this beautiful face." Cassian brushed his hands on his cheeks

"you're lucky I missed."

"Maybe aim a little better next time."

"You know what!" Celeste lunged forward, but was stopped by a gentle palm that touched her shoulder. Cassian sat embracing his hands over his head, glanced up, and took a sigh of relief.

"Why are you about to kill Cassian Cel?" Said the smooth accent

Celeste swung her head around, " Maybe if you and Dominic weren't taking so long, you'd be here to enjoy the show."

"Sorry." said Kyler, " Dom wanted to grab something before we met up with you guys."

I turned over my shoulder, noticing Dominic's tall figure make his way towards us. In one arm he carried three armored suits, the other a pen and a paper. Those suits were heavy...very heavy. Celeste and Kyler could only hold one, I don't know how he could hold three in one arm.

He tossed the suits on the ground, and as he was standing back up my eyes wandered to meet his. A small smile lifted his cheeks, just enough so his dimples appeared through his soft tanned skin. I've never noticed them before...they were cute. I threw a smile back, while he pulled out the chair next to me and sat down.

Everyone noticed the moment, especially Celeste. As she was taking her seat on the other side of me, she shifted her confused eyes at Dominic, then me, then back at him. She let out a small giggle, shaking her head as leaned back in her chair.

"Ah look who finally decided to show up!" Cassian flashed his eyes at Dominic, "Is it a thing for you to be late?"

"Is it a thing for you to be annoying." Dominic rolled his eyes

"He's not wrong." Lani tilted her head at Cassian

"Lani, I consider myself a very reasonable speaker."

"Ya...if you were giving a speech to a group of dogs."

"You know what!"

The two bickered for what felt like forever. In the meantime, I sought the opportunity to talk to Dominic.

I leaned toward him and whispered, " Do they always fight like this?"

"All the time." He whispered back " They never mean it though."

"Me and my best friend would fight sometimes." I looked down at my hands, remembering her. Gemma I thought. In a way I missed her...but I couldn't forget how she just sat and watched as Grant put his hands on me. No reaction, no emotion, just blank at my distress. In her defense, she didn't know any better.

"Someone fighting with you? That's hard to believe." His tone was sarcastic as he titled his head to the side, raising his defined eyebrow.

"When do I ever fight!" I growled immediately

Dominics eyes studied me, and a smirk lifted his lips, " You're fighting with me right now darling."

" No I'm not! I—" I was about to fire at him, but rethought what I was about to say, "—oh. I see your point."

He laughed, " I'm just messing with you. It's fun seeing you all angry."

I rolled my eyes, " I can't say the same for you."

" Thats valid." Dominics gaze met mine. I could sit there forever watching his gorgeous blue eyes reminisce thoughts in his racing head.

My heart lifted at his smile, it was something so foreign, a side to him that I'd never seen. All his coldness...gone like that. His teeth were perfectly straight and a clean white, one glance felt like a breath of life. A look like that could make you forget all the cruel things in the world. It could paint a ray of sun through the darkness.

I saw his soul through his smile-it was warm.

"Ahem" Celeste cleared her throat, bringing us back to reality. " The plan?" She looked at Dominic.

"Oh yeah, um..." he scrambled in his pocket and pulled out the crumpled piece of paper along with the pen. He laid it out on the table and slid it over to Kyler, tossing the pen in his hands.

"Draw a map of the Chamber...I can't remember it well enough to do it myself."

Kyler nodded, and right away began sketching out the prison. Every line Kyler drew was perfectly straight, as if the pen was leading his every movement across the page. I could tell by the stroke of his hand he was a natural artist.

My mother liked art. She'd always try and get me into it, but whenever my clumsy hand touched a canvas, it looked like a colorful thrown up mess of paints. It's Abstract, She would tell me, It's terrible, I would reply. My mother was one person I did miss dearly. I wondered if she cared that I was gone...if Detra made her forget she even had a daughter. I didn't like that thought.

Kyler sketched the mass structure. It was a tall and wide square-like building without any windows or sources of natural light. He explained as he wrote, "Around the building is a thick gate that is wired with electric currents, the gates are monitored at all times, so we don't even think of climbing over. To get inside you have to pass through two entrances. The first one, they take the name of the prisoner and reason for being there, the second they pat them down and make them change into new clothes. Once you enter, to the right are the woman's cells, to the left men's, and in between stands a long cell that's reserved special for the Immune. That's where we need to get. Both sides of the woman's and men's cells break into soldier training areas, and in between there a cafeteria ."

" Ohhh a café?" Cassian shrugged "Maybe we can grab some grub on our way out."

" Be quiet." Dominic said coldly

"Ok." Cassian immediately turned his head down. I could tell Dominic frightened him a bit, but I didn't blame him. Even through his innocent smile, Dominic was nothing but a broken boy with a thirst of revenge.

"Anyways..." Kyler continued his sketch, "...The cell for the Immunes leads into a giant laboratory that breaks into two smaller ones. This is where the experiments are held. Above the labs is a second floor that leads into meeting rooms and quarters for Detra officials and Doctors. The area where the labs lead to the officials rooms contains an exit, the only way we get out is there. It's the only exit without a gate blocking it, and it leads right out into the woods."

Kyler sat back and admired his drawing, as Dominic stood from his seat and leaned his hand on the table behind Kyler. He touched his long fingers on the sketch and pointed at the first entrance, " We get Evelyn through here. Me, Celeste, Lani and Kyler will wear the trooper uniforms and bring her in. Cassian, you sneak through the back in the woods, and wait by the exit. You'll lead the Immunes into No Mans Land when we bring them out."

"Only if I have my precious bow and arrow with me." Cassian squealed

"Yes. You can take it with you." Annoyance filled Dominic face

"Don't you dare call my bow an it! She is a her! Beatrice is her name actually."

Dominic rolled his eyes and continued, drawing his fingers along the map, "They will probably make us take Evelyn to the Immune celling, so it works out perfectly, because that's where we need to be. Once in the cell, we find our way to where they keep the Immunes who haven't given in yet. If I remember they keep them here." He circled his finger on the page, to the right of the paper, then slid his hand across the page "It will be easy sneaking in, the hard part will be getting out. We take the people one by one down the hall, acting as if we're bringing them to the lab. Once passed the lab we keep straight, make a left, and leave through the exit. If everything goes to plan it should only take an hour...maybe less."

"And if they don't make you take Evelyn to the cells for the Immune?"Celeste raised her eyebrow and crossed her arms.

Dominic stood, trying to find words to say when I interrupted, " Then I go wherever they take me. I'll find a way to meet back with you guys."

Dominics eyes filled with worry as he listened to the words from my mouth, " You know what." He said, " I don't think this is a good idea."

"What?" Celeste jumped, " But we have it all planned out!"

Dominic shook his head, " She's not risking her freedom for us. That's not fair to her."

I tried to speak up but was cut off by Cassian, " A sudden change in character Dom? A week ago you would have been happy to toss her in the Chamber."

Dominic glanced at me then held his head down, without saying anything.

" Let me do this Dom." I said boldly " I want to. I'd rather risk my freedom to grant a few Immunes a chance, then do nothing knowing their suffering." My eyes met his, "Whatever's in there, I can handle it."

Dominic nodded, and stood straight folding his arms over his broad chest. By the look on his face, I thought he was more nervous than I.

"We need to be cautious with the Immune people we take home." Lani said

"Agreed." Dominic nodded, " No Mind-wielders."

"None?" Celestes eyes lit up in shock, "But they're not all bad Dom that's not fair to—"

" —I said no Celeste." Dominic tensed up, " I don't want anyone here who can play with my head, and that's final."

Play with his head?

I raised my voice just enough so everyone could hear me, " What are Mind-wielders?" Everyone turned to me and flashed their eyes like I had ten heads.

"She doesn't know?" Lani whispered to Cassian

"They don't speak of Mind-wielders in Detra anymore." Kyler said, " They are known in Frejren, but remain on the down low in Detra. Detra Gov says that the knowledge of their existence is damaging to citizens because they are 'unnatural'."

Frejren was a Detra run society outside of No Man's Land. I've only heard about it, no Detran is allowed to step foot there. Cassian told me that's where he was from. He had escaped Frejrens prison system after years of being locked up for his Immunity. It was a piece of cake. Cassian said, Frejren troopers are so stupid. Kinda cute though, they don't wear bulky masks like Detra ones do. I snuck past them like like a shadow.

He also said that Frejren prison was where he learned to shoot a bow. Instead of rakes, their soldiers use bows and arrows, and Cassian trained as a trooper for a bit. Lani was the only person in the group who was born as a Rogue. If I recall, her mother was an Immune who helped discover the Rogues, but was found by Detra and executed when Lani was young.

Each of us had our own past...own things we'd wish to forget. But now, together we had a taste for revenge.

"Mind-wielders are a type of Immune." Kyler replied

"Wait, there are different type of Immunes? I thought Immune were just people who didn't fall under Detras control?" I was shocked.

" That is true, but some Immunes are much more complex. There are five types." Kyler nodded " All of us are Armors. Most Immune are, we're the most common. We just don't fall under Detras control. Our minds are stronger than most peoples. Armors are the only type of Immune who aren't Mind-wielders."

I'm an Armor? That sounded so silly to me.

" The Mind-weildres contain abilities relating to the influence on the brain of others. There are Animos, they can read minds. Mozacks, they have advanced intelligence. They are the least harmful. The last two can be very dangerous. Dejas, they can enter dreams, change one's mood, and put people to sleep. And..." Kyler hesitated, " ...Hexers."

The last one seemed to send a chill running everyone's back. An aroma of tension filled the area. Everyone was on edge. Especially Dominic. He clenched his fist so tightly, I thought his fingers might rip through his palm.

"Hexers can manipulate minds. They control people's thoughts, feelings, morals. They're the most dangerous 'weapon' Detra has. Alot of them work aside Detra Gov, because they are the only ones who can control the minds of other Immunes."

"How are they're abilities different from the mind control of Detra gov?"

"Detra gov uses subliminal messages, and methods of mind control that grow stronger over time and are so slight no one notices. Hexers can control people on the spot. All they have to do is touch your skin and you're under their influence. They also can control Immunes that Detras methods don't work on. It's not impossible to resist a Hexer, but painfully difficult too."

"Having your thoughts played with is a dangerous thing." Celeste held her arms in her hands, nervously taking a breath "...it's a scary thing too."

I noticed the strange feel of the area. It was like a shadow of darkness overturned the Rogues. Celeste and Dominic seemed the most affected. They had to of come in contact with one of these a Hexers, she was a dangerous one too. Verena, I thought.

"If you see one when we're in Detra Evelyn..." Dominic looked towards me seriously, "...Stay as far away from her as you can."

"How will I know if I see one?"

"Hexers are only women. Usually breathtakingly beautiful too, like no one you have ever seen before. They won't be in chains, nor locked in a cell, because Detra gov values them too much, and doesn't want them to revolt again like they had tried a few years back. So they are treated like a golden possession in Detras government system. They'll most likely be by themselves or with a group of officials." Kyler said, the words rolling off his tongue like pages of a dictionary.

"Trust me." Celeste turned to me, "You'll know if you meet one."

How had I not heard of these people before? It didn't even sound real. Are they messing with me?

"So you're telling me...there are people living in Detra who can read my thoughts, outsmart Detra officials, enter my dreams and control my mind?" I crossed my arms, trying to find an explanation for all this. I thought, There's no way people like are real? But with all the things revealed to me the last few days, anything could be possible.

"I know it sounds crazy." Said Celeste "But they're all real. You're even one and you didn't even know it!"

"I guess so. It's just so weird to think people like that could have been living beside me my whole life. Detra is just full of surprises." I said

"Detras full of surprises, and so are we." Dominic nodded " Rest up everyone..." He skimmed the room, looking proudly at his team;

A Detra convict who is a natural with a knife. A spy who's intelligence outwits his strength. A full blooded Rogue who isn't afraid of any battle. A Frejran refugee who can cock an arrow better than a joke. A runaway from Detra, who has a taste for righteousness.

Then I looked at him;

A rebel with a heart of sympathy but a soul of vengeance.

We were an unlikely team, I wondered if we could pull this off. Dominic believed we could and if he believed...so did I.

Dominic stood boldly, a thirst of revenge in his eyes, "...We leave in five hours."

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

Kairos Av leigh heasley

Science Fiction

842K 23K 28
Time travel is legal and Ada Blum is looking for love. But what happens when one of her charming bachelors from the past makes his way to the present...