Tryst - Forbidden Hearts Seri...

By shaylamariam

Completed | Jackson Reese never thought he would be a one woman kind of guy. That all changed when he met Har... More

Introduction (Read Me!)
C A S T
1| Little Dancer
2| This Isn't FRIENDS
3| No Sudden Movements
4| It's Better Than...
5| Central Park Secrets
6| Bo Peep
7| Off Limits
8| Use A Fu*king Coaster
9| Margarita Gossip
10| Sex Deals Never Work
11| Pleasurable Decoy
12| One Night
13| I Belong To...
14| Walk of Shame
15| Frequent Flyer Miles
16| Rose Petals
17| Siren Song
18| Stalkers, Santa, and Scotch
19| Living Vicariously
20| Vaya Con Jackson
21| Tainted
22| Misunderstandings
23| JJ, Jay, & Jackson
24| If Things Were Different...
25| The Meet-Cute
26| Just As You Are
27| Dirty Laundry
28| Guilt Trips
29| My Two Favorite Women
30| Leap of Faith
31| Mama Bear
32| Goodbye, London
34| Fireman Hans
35| Wishes, Wishes, Wishes
36| Family Doesn't End With Blood
37| Honesty & Surprises
38| Ollie Ollie Oxen Free
39| Through the Grapevine
40| Dumb and Dumber
41| Hangovers & Guilty Consciences
42| Eeny, Meeny, Miney, Moe
43| Two Truths & A Lie
44| Mr. Tall Drink
45| Even the Bad Ones
46| Lucky
47| Pin the Condom on the...
48| Not So Lucky
49| No Rest for the Wicked
50| Who the Hell is Norbert?
51| Un-Maid of Honor
52| Forever Mine
Epilogue
Announcement
One Night (Book 1)
Writing Lanie (Book 2)
Karma (Book 3)
Falling Into Place (Book 5)
Heartstrings (Prequel)

33| Married Guys Club: Open

5.4K 269 22
By shaylamariam

"Where are we going, princess?"

Harper kept her gaze focused outside the back passenger window of the Uber. We landed in New York almost an hour ago and she wouldn't tell me where we were headed. I sent Nate a text when I got our baggage to see how work had been, but he hasn't responded. My gut told me something was going on; but I didn't think Harper would want to do anything after our long flight. 

"We're going by the bar." 

I frowned. "The bar? Why? We aren't working tonight." Hell. No. I did not feel like working after that flight. Now if she wanted some drinks, I wasn't going to say no.

"It's not for work," she said with a laugh. "Lanie asked me to come by to pick something up."

Another frown from me. "What are you picking up? And why now?" Without saying a word, she shot me a look. With a defeated sigh, I held up my hands. "You're right, princess. Whatever you say."

She leaned over and gripped my chin. She smiled at her small victory. "That's my good boy," she teased. When she went to pull her hand away, I caught it and toyed with the engagement ring I had given her a year ago. 

"You know you forgot something when you proposed to me, princess."

She raised a questioning brow. "What's that?"

Even though I was in a playful mood, I kept a pouty look on my face and held up my left hand. Her eyes immediately went to that finger. "There's no ring."

"There's a ring," she said softly with a smile. She reached for my hand and traced her finger along my ring-less one. "Everything about our relationship—how we met, how we got together. Even out first 'engagement' wasn't done the normal way. I wanted this part to be done right." 

I knew exactly what she meant. We were engaged now—the real way—and the men didn't wear an engagement ring. The woman did. And she had hers on already. "So...there is a ring."

"Yes," she whispered before her eyes met mine. "I got it in London."

"And you're going to make me wait till our wedding? Oh, princess. You know how impatient I can get. How do you know I won't go snooping for it?"

Her eyes narrowed. "You do that, Jackson Reese, and you will not like consequences."

Lust shot through me at her words, going right to my dick. "Consequences, huh?" I leaned forward and put my lips to her ear. "Pray tell, what do these consequences include? I might be into it."

She shivered at my words at the exact same time the Uber driver cleared his throat and pressed on the brakes. Oh, yeah...we weren't alone. Oops.

"We're here," the driver stated. 

"Thanks, mate." I got out of the car and went around to Harper's side to open her door. "I'll wait here for you."

"No. We're bringing out stuff inside." 

"What? Why? I thought you were just picking something up."

She leaned herself against my body and brushed her lips against mine. "Bags. Now." She pulled away and started to the entrance. I couldn't help but watch the seductive sway of her hips. 

With a shake of my head, I opened the trunk and got our bags. When I met her at the front, she threw me a coy smile. She pushed the doors open and then...

"SURPRISE!"

I took a step back. What the...Everyone was here. Nate and Karma. Ayden and Lanie. Ryan and Danielle. Even Jamie and Cherise. I turned to Harper. "What is this?" 

"It's our engagement party."

"Engagement party?" I looked back at our friends...no. Our family. That's when it really hit me. These people here were my family. I always thought Gwen and Ryan were all I had, but it all became crystal clear to me. You don't need to be blood to be family. 

"You okay?" she asked quietly, pulling my thoughts back to the present. 

I turned to her with a smile. "I'm perfect. Let's go inside, princess." 

She took my outstretched hand and we stepped inside the bar. We were bombarded with congratulations and hugs from everyone. Well, Nate didn't quite say congratulations. 

"Looks like we're losing another one," he teased with a crooked grin. Classic Nate. 

"Beg pardon?"

He slugged me in the shoulder. "Harper told us you picked a date. It's real. You're joining Ryan in the Married Guys Club." Nate shivered at the 'M' word. 

"Married Guys Club? Come on, bro, you're better than that. Besides, nothing is changing. I'm not changing."

Nate scoffed. "Yeah, right. And I'm the Queen of England."

I snorted. "Oh, really? Tell me, Queen, how do you keep yourself looking so...young and butch?"

Nate cast me droll look. "Very funny. Look, all I'm saying is that...things are changing. Ryan and Danielle are married. You and Harper are next. Then Ayden and Lanie. Karma and I are going to be the odd couple out."

My lips twitched with humor. "There are ways to change that. Our Married Guys Club is always accepting new members." 

"I'm not the marrying kind, Jackson. You know that." 

His answer was automatic—as if the response was on auto-play. But even as he said the words, his eyes were glued on Karma. There have been a few late nights where Nate and I had been drinking and he confessed that he did want to marry Karma. To be honest, I think the man was more terrified of marriage than I had been. Unfortunately, I had no idea why.

"Please. You wouldn't leave Karma." 

Nate looked over at me. "No, I fucking wouldn't. I made that mistake twice. I won't make it a third time." He turned back to Karma and watched her as she danced with Harper. "I wont leave her, and I sure as hell won't be unfaithful. She's the only one I want. But marriage...it's just not for me." 

Before I could respond, Ayden walked up to us and extended his hand. "Congratulations, brother. I'm looking forward to the wedding." 

I clasped his hand with mine. "As am I." I gestured around the bar that was decorated nicely. "I'm surprised you guys were able to put this together so quickly." 

Ayden chuckled and hooked his thumb over his shoulder. "Please. It was all the women. When they set their minds to something..."

"Oh, believe me, I know what you mean. I tried to get Harper to tell me where we were going after we landed. You should have seen the look she gave me."

Nate shivered. "I've seen that look from Karma before. Scary."

"Not as scary as Lanie," Ayden added. "She has...a temper. Especially when she's pregnant." 

"Talking about me?" Lanie asked as she approached Ayden, Nate, and myself. 

Ayden grinned as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Only good things, goddess."

She wasn't convinced. "Mhm. Sure." She glanced my way and cleared her throat. "It's good to have you back." 

"Thank you, vixen. It's good to be back." 

"Anyone want a beer?" Ayden asked. 

Lanie shrugged. "I'll take one."

I nodded. "Same here." 

Nate pushed himself off the table he was leaning against. "I'll come with you, Ayden." 

The two men left to get drinks and Lanie stood beside me. She pointed to Harper, who was rocking little Nate in her arms. "She's really happy, isn't she?"

"Yeah, she is." She was absolutely glowing as she looked down at little Nate's face. There was always a profound sadness in her eyes when she looked at that baby before. But not now. There was a clenching in my chest with the reminder that we couldn't have a baby of our own. 

"I'm sorry, Jackson."

I turned my questioning gaze to Lanie. "Sorry for what?" The tragic look in her eyes said it all. "You know." It wasn't a question. It was a statement. 

"Yes," was her soft reply. 

I exhaled a heavy breath and looked back at my future wife. She was holding little Nate up in the air and kissing his belly to make him laugh. "We're both happy that we're going to adopt, but I know how hard this is for her. Not being able to have a baby with me. Our baby." My voice cracked when I asked the next part. "Is she—"

I didn't need to finish the question. Lanie knew what I was trying to ask. Bloody vixen seemed to know everything.

"She will. She will be okay, Jackson. She loves you. The one thing she wants most in this world is to have a baby. A family. One that was different than hers. She wants to be a mom—no matter how it happens. She's going to love any baby as her own. And so will you."

Even though Lanie's words soothed some of the pain in my chest, I still had a nagging feeling in my gut. I wanted to give Harper everything she wanted to make her happy. I just hoped that I could. That's when something occurred to me. 

"Hey, vixen?"

"Yes?" 

"How good are you at wedding planning?"

Lanie chuckled darkly and rubbed her hands together. "Oh, you sly Greek God. I like where your mind is at."

Clink-clink-clink

The chatter stopped as everyone looked towards Ryan. He was standing on the stage, mouth to the mic. "Hey, everyone. I want to make a toast to Harper and Jackson."

I turned and motioned for Harper to come stand beside me. Once she joined me, she passed the baby to Lanie and wrapped her arm around my waist. I draped mine over her shoulder and pulled her close. 

"I've known Jackson a long time," Ryan started. "Even though we grew apart as we got older, I've never forgotten what a pain in the ass little brother he is." Everyone laughed at that. "One night a long time ago, I made a big mistake. I doubted you, brother. I didn't think you were capable of being in love. It's a mistake I will regret forever—as it almost cost you that beautiful woman on your arm. I have never seen someone grow the way you did. You have become a better man—hell, maybe even better than me." Ryan gestured around the room. "I think everyone here can agree that there is no better match than you and Harper. You two were meant to find each other. I just hope that you both will be as happy as I am with Danielle." Ryan raised his glass. "To Jackson and Harper!" 

Everyone raised their drinks. "To Jackson and Harper!" 

I pressed my lips to Harper's. "To us, princess."

She smiled as she looked up at me. "To us."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.3K 2.4K 73
*****WATTYS2016***** It all started with a lie. I was just his fake girlfriend... yet, I got caught in my own game. He was all I always ran away fro...
1M 43.8K 40
[ COMPLETED ] An unexplainable spark ignites within Gabriel when he meets his brother's best friend, Alexander, the perfect example of a walking sex...
6.3K 486 22
Savannah goes on holiday with her boyfriend, Theo, and her friends. She thinks she loves Theo more than anything and Theo gives her the world. They'r...
2M 48K 74
'"Can you spread your legs a little farther for me, baby?" he asks me, his voice a low whisper. I nod, doing exactly as I'm told, and he bites down o...