The Thoughts Between Us // CH...

By HumanVariant

Covers 13 REASONS WHY : SEASON 4 Previously called 'Don't Break My Heart'. [Not just a Love Story.] What if i... More

โ€ขWELCOMEโ€ข
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven

Twenty-Seven

277 13 4
By HumanVariant

Charlie

When Alex told me that Zach had asked him to bunk with us tonight, I would've definitely kissed Zach in happiness.

Not really though, I just wish to kiss the person's lips that stood in front of me.

But you got what I mean, right?

As Alex took a bite of my weed-free cookie, the one I decided to bring from the batch made for Miss. Smith, I couldn't help but notice how guarded he looked. After knowing now what Winston had done to him, it was clear that he was under stress. Even if he was doing a good job of hiding his feelings, I could still see how much hurt he actually was.

I wanted to comfort him, to tell him that Winston never deserved him. To assure him that he would find someone else who deserved a good-hearted person like him. To tell him that what he was looking for maybe is just in front of him.

But I also knew my boundaries. This wasn't the time to force myself on someone who just got out of a bad relationship, and for now, I am content to just be his friend. 

I would happily forward my hand of friendship if it means that he would feel safe with me.

"You know," Alex said, finishing the cookie with a small and satisfied smile on his face. "Zach had talked about your cookies before, and they are actually tasty."

"I know right!" Zach decided to come from wherever he disappeared to and got one cookie for himself out of the tiffin Alex held.  "This is the only reason why I keep Charlie around."

"That's... nice to know." I said as Zach started eating his cookie.

Zach was clearly intoxicated, again, which didn't surprise me. Last night too he had been drinking from a flask before he fell asleep, and tonight he had already finished getting wasted.

"So, my friends," He said, once he had done eating. "Tonight is gonna be a night that you will never forget."

But after about fifteen minutes, Zach was the first one to fall asleep.  He was snuggled up in his sleeping bag, snoring lightly. He had taken up most of the left side of the tent, so the remaining area had to be shared by both me and Alex.

Which I didn't mind because then Alex would have to shift closer to me.

"So Zach meant this?" Alex asked after he came back from brushing his teeth. "When he said that we would never forget tonight?"

I chuckled at him and he rolled his eyes when Zach suddenly snored loudly. It was as if he heard what Alex said and got offended.

"Do you think our sleeping bags would adjust here?" Alex asked, looking around the remaining space. "I shouldn't have listened to this idiot. Sorry for taking space."

"Are you seriously apologizing for existing?" I joked. "Just chill. There's no need to say sorry. We both could adjust here."

He sighed loudly, then pulled his sleeping bag beside Zach. Then I pushed mine to the other side of the tent, where it perfectly adjusted.

"See!" I exclaimed, and he lightly laughed at me.

I closed the tent zipper and got in my sleeping bag. Alex also got settled in his', and we just laid there in comfortable silence. 

The slight rustle of trees due to the cold wind was audible in the silence of the forest.  Everyone around us was probably asleep now as I could hear no one.

Except for some constant snoring from Zach.

I could also hear Alex's steady breathing just beside me, but I couldn't sense if he was awake or had fallen asleep.

Even after having a hectic day today with all the roaming around the forest and the creepy happenings, my already tired mind was still troubling by the fact about Alex being near me.

It actually felt kind of weird to sleep beside the guy who I had a crush on for many months. I was self-conscious, to begin with, and I was also being careful about not hurting his feelings in any way whenever we talk.

Suddenly I heard Alex sigh loudly again, clearing my doubt about if he was awake or not. 

"Charlie?" 

I weighed my options about answering him or not. Then decided to just go for it because, well, he was my crush and I should feel lucky that my crush was talking to me.

"Yeah?" I whispered in reply, turning to look at where his face is supposed to be.

"I just wanna say..." He started. "I'm really and truly thankful to you."

I decided to stay quiet, and he continued speaking.

"You know, today I wanted to confess everything. I wanted everything to end. But my dad talked me out of it by reminding me of you guys. That I owe my chance at life to you all and without you doing what you did, I couldn't have been here."

"Alex, you don't owe us anything. We all are your friends, and we wanted the best for you."

"Everything has become so stressful these days, and I know it's not just for me." He ignored me and continued talking. "But it's all because of me. You guys took the risk but... Winston... he's not gonna stop. Then there's Diego who is damn sure about everyone being involved in this."

He was blabbering, stress-blabbering, if there's a term for that. 

"I don't even understand why you all helped me in this. I don't deserve it."

Alex was clearly self-depreciating, again.

"No, Alex, listen..." I tried saying as I leaned on my left arm, but he interrupted me.

"You know what? Just forget what I said. I'm just too stressed at the moment and I'm also not letting you sleep. You must be tired after going on a hunt in this forest. Go to sleep, Charlie. I'm used to my worries eating me."

Then I heard his sleeping bag shuffle in the dark and realized he had turned to the other side. Alex was now facing a sleeping Zach with his back towards me. 

I wanted to assure him more but it looked like he didn't want to talk now. So I also decided to go to sleep. It wouldn't help anyone if I stayed awake thinking about things.

Sleep came easily with all the energy drained out of me after the day's events. 

I am a heavy sleeper and one would have to spend minutes waking me up. But tonight I surprisingly woke up with a start. My sleep was dreamless so I didn't understand why my brain decided to suddenly get me awake.

Getting my hands out of my sleeping bag, I grabbed my phone which was kept above my head. 

It was half-past two in the morning.

Suddenly I realized that there is some movement happening inside the tent. Something, no, scratch that, someone was fidgeting beside me. It took my sleepy brain a few seconds to remember that Alex was sleeping between me and Zach tonight.

I could see both of my friends in the dim moonlight that was coming through the small tent windows. Zach was still peacefully sleeping at his side, while Alex was fidgeting in his sleeping bag. 

At first, I thought he was awake and just changing his sleeping position, but then I noticed how his eyes were still closed and the scared expression he had on his face.

Alex was having a nightmare.

He was moving his legs and hands around in his sleeping bag like he was trapped somewhere and he needed to get out. He was turning his head here and there, panic clearly visible.

As a person who has had nightmares too, even if it was a long time ago, I knew not to harshly wake someone up. He could get scared and scream, which I knew we both would regret later. 

So I did what I thought was right.

"Alex, hey," I whispered softly and placed my hand lightly on his shoulder. "Everything is okay. You are safe. Don't panic."

Surprisingly he listened, and his movements calmed down slowly.

"There's no need to worry." I continued speaking as his breathing returned to normal. "No one's gonna hurt you. You are safe."

And just like that, he was peacefully sleeping. 

I didn't dare to take my hand off his shoulder, assuming he would start having nightmares again.

Alex was suffering too much, it was clear to me. He was under constant stress, and I also knew how much it was troubling him to live with what he has done to Bryce. But he doesn't just show it to people. He suffers alone like no one is going to understand him. And even if it's true, there's no need for him to keep it a secret from people closer to him like his friends.

Knowing Alex, it's safe to assume that Zach and Jessica wouldn't know anything about him having any bad dreams. It pained me to see him like that. I wonder how long he has been having nightmares, and how much he sleeps at night. 

I knew I can't help him much with it. If I mentioned tonight to him tomorrow, he may get angry and embarrassed. He wouldn't want me to know his secrets.

But there's one thing I can do for him.

I will start hanging out with him more which would get him to talk to me, and maybe he will also open up to me. Also his brain injury, I should probably google that too.

Taking another look at Alex's sleeping form, I conclude that he will be fine for tonight. But I still remained on my side, just staring at him for some time.

Because Alex Standall worries me.

××××××××××××××××××

First and foremost, I'm truly sorry for not updating for months.

It's been a crazy time for me, I've been under too much stress these days with having to complete my Uni work and also my committee work. So I really hope you understand my reasons.

One thing I'm sure of is that I'll complete this book. I myself hate reading incomplete books on Wattpad, so I'll definitely complete this one for all of my readers. Honestly, it will take time, but if you are patient enough I promise you that you will get an ending.

L

astly, I just realised that 'Don't Break My Heart' is trending on 99 in #13reasonswhy. And it's all because of you guys, so thank you!

Anyways, here's a nice chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.1K 1.7K 51
Y/n L/n was a normal girl living a normal life. She's got a group of amazing friends including Justin Foley, Jessica Davis, and Alex Standall. She's...
55.5K 981 12
What if Clay could have saved Hannah? What if their love story could have continued? I for one was devastated by the ending of 13 Reasons Why so I've...
29.3K 1.1K 38
- What if ๐™‰atalia can't except getting things thrown at her anymore? แถœหกแตƒสธ สฒแต‰โฟหขแต‰โฟ ๐™‰atalia ๐˜ฝexley was an or...