WOUNDED

By who_is_mankish

I can't be the only one who has grown bored of reading good girl-bad boy romance novels 🙄 It's the same rout... More

CHAPTER 1
Author's note
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
Closing author's note

CHAPTER 19

207 42 25
By who_is_mankish

I dedicate this chapter to my darling aunty who joined Wattpad just so she could read my story. Thanks for the support aunty❣️

AZ
Song: Half of me - Rihanna

Ever since our little escape last week, Kacely and I haven't talked to each other. I guess now he understands that we do not know each other in school.

As usual, I'm seated on the last desk at the other end of the class. He walks in from Biology class with Bryana and they occupy the first locker together. She whispers something to him and he smiles in response. They seem awfully comfortable together, I guess that's a good thing. He turns around and looks at me for a split second and then breaks the contact to focus on Bryana again.

"Hello class." Nabit AKA my favourite teacher of all time greets - Note the sarcasm? Right.

"The test results were terrible, Absolutely horrible. I don't understand if that's because you guys just got out of the youth week activities or what. More than half the class failed." he explains and the students chat lowly amongst themselves.

"It is heartbreaking, considering the fact that you guys have an exam in about four months. You all need to start working, solving, reading hard. Not just in mathematics, but in all your other subjects." He advises and exhales.

"So here's what we'll do, I will share the papers; they are ranked from the person with the highest score to the person with the lowest. After I share these papers, corrections will be done on the board and then I will hand you guys similar questions to work on at home." He says and takes out the papers from his bag.

The idiot actually looks really worried. How bad could it have been?

"Azinwi Ntonifor, 39/40, Lem Bernice 27/40, Penn Rawlings 25.5/40... Guys please when I call your name, walk up and collect your script."

I stand up and walk towards him, picking up my paper from the desk on which he left it. Where did I lose a mark? I was so sure that I'd get everything right.
I take a sit on my chair and scan through my paper for where the problem came from but I can't pin my finger on it.

"Bryana Vuchase 20.5/40..."
That was close, she almost failed. Bryana immediately collects her paper and smiles down on it. At least she got a fair score.
Hold on a minute, I haven't heard Kacely's name.

"That... That was the line. Anyone following now failed the test." He explains and the sound of low grumbling takes over the class.

"Quiet!" The teacher orders. "All you people know is to make noise. Small maths and look at your results, Maths that is being taught here everyday."

"Ngalim Steve 18/40, Tezeh Britney 16.5/40..."

This is going to be a long ride.

I pull out my phone from my bag pack and go online for the first time this week. There's nothing interesting for me, just a text from Jaff asking me why I called. I mute my phone and go over a few status updates.
Zoe's story shows videos and pictures from what I assumed was a pool party. She's having fun... without me. I swipe to the next status update and it's Trevor's. Nothing much, just some dumb quote about following your dream... Never giving up and all that motivational shit.

"Kacely Ollenu... 1/40."
Huh?

My head immediately snaps up. That's really not good.
Kacely? I didn't take him for a math genius, but 1/40?

"Kacely, you're one of the least in class. That's terrible, really I'm so scared for you." The idiot teacher tells Kacely and I can see the embarrassment on his face. Poor Kacely, what happened?

Even from the back of the class, I can see him circling his thumbs, again. Showing just how nervous and embarrassed he is.

"You barely even wrote anything on your paper." He adds displaying both sides of the paper to the class.

Ok, you did not have to do that!

"Tell me what the problem is, do you not understand when I teach, or what? What's the problem?"

"I don't know sir... I... I've generally always been weak at math." He admits shyly, so embarrassed by the show and all the attention he's getting.

"Let's say you came a trimester late, so this is kind of excusable, but you have to work harder because you will write the exams in June as well. Meet someone, solve more questions, if you don't understand something when I teach, bring my attention to it and I'll take it over, ok?"

"Yes sir," he nods and keeps playing with his thumbs.

"He apparently isn't the lowest, Fusi had 0.5/40. Come and take your paper. Your's is just a sad case, I don't even know what to do with you anymore." He says and places the paper on the table as Fusi walks up to collect it wearing his normal huge smile on his face and walking in a way that causes the whole class to laugh. This guy is the definition of a free spirit.

Nabit frustratedly opens the marker and writes the word Mathematics on the board.

"Is anyone willing to solve any of the questions?"

"I'll solve number four, I got it right." Bryana opts.

"Ok Bryana, here you go." Nabit says and hands her the marker.

After the class, while everyone goes to prepare for P.E. These preparations are towards the inter school sports competition. They are pretty excited because it's one of the best things that happens in RCC and it's between the private comprehensive colleges. I stay back with the hopes of talking to Kacely. When Bryana finishes talking to him, she walks up to me.

"Az, hey." She smiles

"Hey."

"I'm going to the locker room, to get changed."

"Ok?" Why is she telling me this?

"Will you still be playing with us, this year?"

"I already told you I would." I reply.

"Great then," she smiles. "Oh, and congrats on the math test."

"It's just a test." I shrug.

"Just a test? Are you kidding? You almost got a perfect score!" She beams with a huge smile.

"Keyword: almost." I grin.

"Abeg ya Az..." She rolls her eyes and smiles. "Hey, I saw your Gramps at the resort the other day,"

Here we go.

"He's still so handsome. He was with this really pretty girl, is she your sister or something?"

"No."

"She looks familiar. From a movie or music video maybe... Or pageant... I don't really know but I recognize her."

"She's not my sister, I don't have a sister. She just has a hole my Gramps puts his dick in." I reply and Bryana almost chokes making me almost smirk.

She's always meddling so, there she goes.

"Um alright..." she says and clears her throat. "Don't take too long though, practice starts in about... Eleven minutes." She says after looking at her watch for confirmation.

Would you stop telling me what to do?

"I'll be there shortly." I say and she turns to leave.

Two guys are still in class, solving a math problem I assume and Kacely is about to leave. I don't want people to see us together, but I also don't want him to leave without me talking to him.

"Kacely," I call out and he stops. I walk up to him and he still has that sulking face on, I can't blame him though.

"So 1/40, huh?" I tease as an attempt at cheering him up.

"Azinwi I'm really not in the mood"  He asks dismissively.

"At least you didn't get the least score, Fusi beat you to it."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?" He frowns.

"I'm just trying to cheer you up."

"Well you're not helping." He says.

"Yes but... I want to help."

"Save your breath." Ouch. "Why are you even talking to me?"

Usually, I would tell him to go fuck himself and that it isn't my fault that he sucks at math, but I guess this is bad timing. He's sad with a good enough reason so I'll let it slide. And also I'm still optimistic about the fact that we might hook up again.

"Because almost everyone's gone already," I scoff and he sighs "And also because... I can help you... I want to help you."

"Help me... How?

"Well in case you didn't notice, I got the highest score. I'm generally really good at math so I could teach you, since you obviously suck." I tease futhur but still end up laughing alone.

Wow, he's really sad about the whole issue.

"Forget I said the last part," I backtrack closing my eyes. "I really can help you, I could teach you."

"Where? How? When?" He asks

"Not here, obviously. You know how I feel about us even talking in school." I giggle and look at the guys who are still in class, neither of them are even looking at us, they are too focused on whatever it is they are solving. "We can meet at my safehouse, or your place... Or switch between both from time to time; whichever is convenient."

"When?"

"Weekends, after school... Well only on the days we don't have P.E." I suggest.

He looks at me for a while then looks away. Why is he hesitant? It's not like he has much of a choice.

"OK." He says and pinches the bridge of his nose. "Let's meet at your safehouse on... Saturday" he proposes.

"Fine by me." I smile. "You do remember the place right?"

"I know what it looks like,"

"Just tell the cabman Ayaba street, I bet you'll know the big blue building when you see it."

"OK. 1pm? Cause I have to drop my sister off at her dad's, for the weekend."

"Ok." I nod "What sports will you try out?"

"Um... I was thinking swimming."

"Swimming?" I chuckle and he nods. "OK, pretty boy. Good luck."

Trust me, he needs it.

"What about you?"

"Tennis, always."

The guys who were still with us walk pass us after they both glance at us. I smile at him one last time and turn on my heels to go park my things so I could go and bore myself with tennis practice.

"Azinwi..." He calls out and I look at him. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." I smile and walk towards my locker. When I arrive and turn around, he's gone.

...

Tennis practice was the usual, boring. The girls aren't competitive at all, it gets boring winning all the time. It's after 5pm when I get into my car and drive home. Gramps and I haven't really talked to each other since the incident at the resort. He's definitely sad, but he'll get over it. I'm not going to apologise for anything, especially because of Shura. I bet he's sad because she told him about what she saw.

No, if Gramps knew, he'd kill me. He would've scolded me for it and grounded me... Again.
He's done that just twice before; back in Australia and it was when he found out I was continuously skipping school. The second one was when I got my ying-yang tattoo and the first set of extra piercings on my ears. He freaked the hell out. I was just fourteen then. It was my first tattoo and it was Zoe's boyfriend who did it. He was quite older than her yet adored her. She got an arrow tattoo and I wanted one too, but ended up with holes in my ears as well.

Gramps was so pissed. It was terrible; no allowance for a month, no driver to school- I had to take the bus everyday, no phone, no TV... No nothing. I couldn't even leave the house. If he finds out about the smoking, he'll take my car and my phone and my iPad... everything. He might even send me to rehab. The thought of being sent to a rehabilitation centre in Cameroon makes me want to give up on drugs altogether.

I drive into the yard and park my car. Gramps' cars are all parked in the yard, meaning he's home. Reluctantly, I step out of the car and walk into the house.
My favourite person is here too, Shura. She's lying on the sofa Gramps is sitting on with her head on his thighs. Usually, I would just walk pass both of them, but I miss Gramps. I'm honestly tired of the ghosting.

"Hey Gramps" I greet.

"Hi baby, how was school today?" He asks, not even looking at me but at the phone in his hand.

"It was OK. I got a 39/40 in math."

"That's great baby." He praises and finally looks at me, smiling.

"Hi Azinwi" Shura finally says.

"Hey," I reply.

"I made spaghetti and meatballs, it's not been an hour yet so I'm sure it's still warm."

"Alright, I'll clean up first. We had tennis practice today."

"You play tennis?" She asks and sits up.

"Didn't I just say I did?" I say with a weak laugh, trying to soften the harshness of my question.

"I play too"

"Ok..." why is she telling me this?

"I bet I could beat you with one hand"

"You wish." I chuckle.

"She's really good baby, I've seen her play."

"Yeah, she might be good but not better than me. I've been playing since I was 11 and now I'm 17."

"Well I've been playing since I was 15 and now I'm 26." She smirks and Gramps laughs.

"Doesn't matter how long you've been playing, I'm still better than you."

"No you're not, you definitely aren't." she challenges.

"You could both just settle this over a match." Gramps proposes, taking off his glasses and holding them in his hand. His gaze switches between both of us. "Well...?"

"Oh, I'm down if she's down." Shura says and hugs her knees.

"Hahaha." I muse "I'm not falling for this, I have books to read. We have our mock in about six weeks."

"Baby we all know you don't need five weeks to prepare..." Gramps buds in. True, but I'm not doing this.

"You're just scared because you know you're not that good." Shura teases.

"Baby are you going to let her talk to you like that?" Gramps laughs, adding coal to the flame.

"Whatever." I roll my eyes and walk away.

"Come on, don't be a coward." Gramps teases. I lift my middle finger in the air while walking up the stairs and I hear Gramps laughing. I've missed his heavy crooked laughter that is so contagious.
I enter my room smiling and close the door behind me- I won't make the same mistake twice. I place my bag pack on the chair and sit on my bed to take my shoes off. As I untie my shoe laces, I hear a knock on my door.

"Open." I say and the handle turns, just before Shura walks in. I thought it was Gramps.

"Az, hey... "She says and I look up at her.

"Didn't I tell you not to call me that?"

"Sorry" she says immediately and closes the door behind her.

"What do you want?" I exhale and pull my tee over my head.

"To apologise..." She says

"For what exactly?" I ask and sit down on my bed. "For ruining my end of year trip with Gramps? For violating our secret spot or for walking into my room without knocking? Which one?"

"All of them..."

"Pftt ok..."

"Look, I know you don't like me" she says

"Well that's an understatement."

"Whatever it is you feel..."

"It's called hate." I smile and she laughs. She must think I'm joking.

"Even if you do hate me, could we atleast try to tolerate each other? And try to get along?"

"And why would I even settle for that?"

"For your grandfather's sake." She replies.

"Don't bring Gramps into this."

"He is so worried about us not getting along, it hurts him."

"Like you care."

"I do, I love him."

"Sure you do." I smirk.

"I mean it. And I know it'll mean the world to him if we could just try to cooperate." She explains. "I mean look how happy he was with the short conversation we had moments ago."

"Fine Shura, I'll try to be in the same room with you without insulting you."

"That'll be great." She smiles

"You can leave now..."

"I was also thinking..."

"No," I immediately oppose.

"Just hear me out" she pleads.

"Fine."

"I was thinking we could have a girl's day out on Saturday."

"Who's we? You and the cook?"

"No" she giggles "you and me of course"

"Not happening" I state.

"Why not?"

"Just because I said I'll try to stand you doesn't mean we'll become bff's. I still hate your guts." I reply taking my socks off.

"It'll be great."

"No it won't... it'll be a disaster, I'll make sure of that."

"Why are you so against it?"

"Because Shura, I do not like you. Your energy doesn't attract mine."

"My energy?" She laughs and folds her arms.

"Yes, your energy."

"Nonetheless, we should hang out."

"No we should not... Are you not following?"

Is she that dumb?

"You said you'll try. Imagine how your Grandfather would feel." She says.

"Stop doing that!" I scold.

"Doing what?"

"Using Gramps to get to me, it's not fair. You don't have to try playing grandma with me. I already told you, you won't be here long. Gramps is just fucking you... For now." I remind her, with the hopes of killing her optimism towards the whole thing.

But she just laughs and tucks a loose braid of her hair behind her ear.

"Even if I won't, we should get along atleast for the time I'm here, he would be so happy." I know he would be, but I don't want this woman around us. "I know you will do anything for him, so will I..."

"Don't compare my love for him to whatever you feel for him" I interrupt her.

"It's not a competition Az." She says.

"Azinwi to you..."

"Why does it even matter?" She laughs.

"Because it does." I say and she laughs further. She is so annoying, kind of like Bryana.

"Come on..." She presses, looking up at the ceiling.

"So what's your plan?"

"Spa, massage, nails and then lunch."

"We don't do nails at our school." I say and stand up walking towards my cupboard to grab my towel. Apparently she won't be leaving anytime soon.

"We could do the other things." She proposes and smiles. "We could even play that tennis match."

"Spa and then tennis? So your plan is to spice us up and then get us all sweaty from a tennis match. You are the best events planner there is." I say sarcastically and we both laugh. I'm actually laughing with this woman right now, it feels strange.

"Ok we could do the spa stuff another time."

"I haven't even agreed to do this..."

"Come on... It'll be fun. It'll be at the same place where your Gramps plays golf."

"I'll think about it, but Saturday won't be possible, I have to be somewhere."

"Sunday then?" She asks with glee.

"I said I'll think about it Shura." I groan and she giggles.

"Thank you so much Az." She smiles and I frown slightly. "Azinwi" she corrects with a laugh before turning to leave.

"Shura," I call out, stopping her from walking out the door.

"Yes?"

"Why didn't you tell Gramps about what you saw... On Wednesday?" I ask and swallow. She looks at me for a while then exhales and leans against the door.

"I really don't know Az" she tells me. "Maybe because telling him about that was not going to help any of us; not you, not me, not him." she explains. "Also, I don't know your story, I have no idea what you're going through, or why you do that. I mean we all do stuff to get our minds off things. It could be music or sex or... drugs."

"Or all of them." I say and we both giggle. If only she knew that that wasn't a joke.

"Me not telling him doesn't mean I'm in support of it. You are still hurting yourself and you have to stop, before it gets out of hand." Of course I know that, the question is; how do I bring myself to stop?

"Besides, I knew it was coc because there was a time when I used to take it too." She informs me.

"You did not..." I say in disbelief.

"What, you don't believe me?"

"Yes, I mean you look like some self righteous beauty pageant princess." I reply and she chuckles, looking at her feet.

"Things aren't always what they seem now are they? I never would've thought you smoke." She shrugs. "We all have our demons."

"You got that right." I say.

"So... Can I go now?"

"Yes." I reply and she turns the handle of the door.

"Shura,"

"Yes?"

"Thanks, for not telling Gramps." I tell her and she smiles.

"I don't know if to say you're welcome here because me not telling him isn't right at all." She smiles. "The least you can do is give Sunday a chance."

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Yeah, let's do it." I agree. I don't think I'll die if I play a game of tennis with her.

"That's awesome!" She yells and I roll my eyes. "Thanks so much."

"Whatever..." I smile.

"You can also let me start calling you Az." She adds.

"Don't push it." I warn and she laughs.

"Just trying my luck." She shrugs.

"Get the hell out."

"Yes, Azzzzz" she teases and closes the door behind her.

I smile at the conversation we just had and shake my head. Shura sniffing coc, who would've thought?

I guess she's not as bad as I thought. I take off my bra and head for the shower.

"I don't know your story" that's the key line.

Hi guys

Thanks for reading! I'll never get tired of thanking you for sparing minutes of your time everyday to read my book. If it weren't for you guys, there would be no point in publishing.
So thank you all.

My aunty who's been reading the story said Az needs to give her life to Christ. I laughed my ass out. Someone else said she takes coc more than a prisoner.🤦🏽‍♀️😂

Your comments are hilarious you guys. I'm so happy you guys are invested in this.

Liked the chapter? Give that star a tap till it turns orange.

Be safe🤗

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5M 84K 36
Tutoring the Bad Boy. ~~ He smirked. "Whoops! Look who has read 50 Shades of Grey. Trust me getting kinky is almost every guys dream. I knew you had...
517 43 16
"Marek, don't do this. Keep your captainship. I'll tell the truth about what happened and we'll both be out of the deal." "But-" "I don't know what y...
229K 3.7K 36
{completed} They say opposites attract, the good girl + the bad boy. The grumpy + sunshine. She's intrigued by his eyes, maybe it's because they sha...
83.7K 1.7K 53
Kirill's past would come back full force and as his new bride, Mia is about to stumble upon his dark world and the immense pull it has on her. Kirill...