Hearts of Greek Fire - A Hade...

By carlyspade

We all know the story. Meg sells her soul to Hades to save her boyfriend's life just to have him leave her fo... More

Chapter 1 - Love Is Stronger Than Death
Chapter 2 - Sealing The Deal
Chapter 3 - I Would Do Anything For Love...
Chapter 4 - Be Sure to Tip Your Boatman
Chapter 5 - Dealing with a Death God
Chapter 7 - Devil With The High Heels On
Chapter 8 - A Mortal's Beauty
Chapter 9 - Careless Whispers
Chapter 10 - Wonder Boy
Chapter 11 - How Many Heads Does It Take to Kill a Hydra?
Chapter 12 - I Won't Say It...
Chapter 13 - A God of a Different Color
Chapter 14 - Tether Me
Chapter 15 - All Bow

Chapter 6 - Envy is a Monster of Green

395 19 14
By carlyspade

It was a rare day. Hades inexplicably disappeared without locking me in my room. I'd hardly know what to do with myself. Said not me ever.

I scurried down the hallway, continually glancing behind me like he'd pop in at any moment. Breezing past an open door, I spied Pain & Panic out of the corner of my eye and backpedaled.

They were standing on top of a table with wooden figures, picking them up, and giving different voices for each.

"What are you two knuckleheads up to?" I asked, squinting at them with my arms crossed.

They both froze with figures in their hands, eyes wide as oranges.

"Uh," Pain started, shifting his eyes to the figurine in his hand before snapping it behind his back. "Nothing."

Panic threw the figures on the floor. His right eye twitched, and his feet turned inward.

"Oh, really?" I asked, sauntering my way inside. "Sure, doesn't look like nothing."

Panic kicked Pain in the shin.

I swiped one of the figures from Pain's hand. He yelped.

Running my thumb over the wood, I narrowed my eyes at the familiar shape. "Is this...a titan?"

"What makes you say that?" Panic asked, twiddling his fingers against each other.

I raised a brow. "Hm. The fact this one looks like ice, that one looks like melting lava, and let me guess...the one on the floor looks like a big fat rock?"

They both laughed nervously, shifting their eyes at each other.

Pain scratched the back of his head. "It's uh...chess."

"Yes!" Panic nodded enthusiastically. "That's right. We were playing chess."

The table had a map of Greece laid out on it, Mount Olympus drawn above it.

"Don't you need squares to play chess?" I tossed the figure onto the table, placing one hand on my hip.

"Not us. We're smart enough not to need them," Pain said, lifting his chin.

Panic rolled his eyes and dropped his face in his hand.

I slapped my hands on the table and leaned forward, staring death daggers into the two demon minions. "What is going on? Tell me."

They both jumped and hugged each other, trembling.

"The boss would kill us," Pain cried out.

I narrowed my eyes and grabbed an ear from each, yanking them toward me. "What do you think I will do?"

Panic shrieked, and Pain wailed.

"Okay, okay!" Pain said, his shoulders hunching forward.

Panic shook his head back and forth, his large yellow eyes begging Pain.

"The boss has some big elaborate plan to release the titans," Pain rattled off and winced.

My heart fell to my feet. I let go of them, staring down at the map on the table.

"He's...what?" I asked, my voice small and barely audible.

"Heh. I'm sure it's all talk," Panic said in a...well, panic.

I narrowed my eyes. "Is he out of his mind?"

Pain and Panic glanced at each other sidelong. "Yes?" They both replied.

Growling under my breath, I turned away, storming for the door.

"Hades!" I bellowed, prowling to the hallway.

"Oh my Zeus, oh my Zeus, oh my ZEUS," Panic stammered behind me.

"Hades!" I cried out again, pushing open every door I passed.

The sound of sizzling smoke echoed behind me.

"Normally, I don't answer some mortal call, but there's something about the way you say my name," Hades said.

I turned on my heel, gazing at him casually leaning against the wall. Clenching my fists at my sides, I strode toward him. "You plan to unleash the Titans?"

His once amused expression turned villainous, his eyes narrowing into slits. "Pain. Panic."

They appeared in front of me with their tails curled around them, shivering.

I scooped them behind me with my arm. "No. Don't bring them into this. I would've found out eventually."

"Fair point." He rubbed his chin. "Yes. I plan to release the Titans."

His words chilled me to the bone. My jaw fell open, and I shook my head. "Why? They'd bring devastation to thousands of people."

"A few sacrifices to serve the greater good." He shrugged and flicked his wrist like batting away a fly.

My chest heaved. "The greater good? Why are you doing this, Hades?"

"Do you have any idea what Zeus did to me?" He floated closer, bending over to bring our noses a breath apart.

I folded my arms. "I seem to recall a story of him saving you and your brother from being Cronus food. He made himself king. Gave Poseidon the seas and you," I poked him in the chest. He glanced down before bringing his gaze back to mine. "The Underworld."

Hades looked off in the distance, giving a slow blink. "That pretty much sums it up."

"Then, why?" I re-emphasized, staring up at him with confused eyes.

Hades growled and turned away, dragging a hand through his flaming hair. "He sits up there in his castle in the clouds loved by everyone, pretending to be something he's not, and everyone worships every scrap of dirt he walks on."

"By Hera," I mumbled. My eyes widened, and I let my arms fall slack at my sides. "You're jealous."

In a flash, he was in front of me again, the orange flames bursting from his head and shoulders, making my hair fly behind me. "You can't even begin to understand. Don't. Try. To."

I'd be lying if I said he didn't scare me even a little, but I fought back the urge to shudder physically. "I'll have no part of this."

The skin above his eyes rose. "Oh, really?" He snapped his fingers, and the glowing contract appeared between us. "Do you need to reread this?"

I waved my arms through it with a snarl. "I know what it says."

"Obviously, not my dear Nutmeg because it does not, I repeat not specify what you'd be doing for me as my servant." He lowered his head, brushing his knuckles across my cheek. "Therefore, if I say you're going to help unleash the Titans. You'll say, 'What time?'"

I gulped. "No."

"No?" His face fell. "Fine. Six months added back to your sentence."

I gasped, shaking my head frantically. "You can't do that."

"Can't I?" He floated backward, folding his arms and flicking something away with his forefinger and thumb. "Nine months."

I let out a mix between a snarl and a scream out of frustration. "I'm going to my room."

"You're already there, sweetcheeks," he responded with a glare, snapping his fingers.

I was back in my room, staring at the locked door. Slapping my hand against the wood, I screamed again and pressed my forehead against the coolness of the frame.

"Meg?" Panic's small voice asked from behind me.

I peeked over my shoulder. Pain and Panic were both there, hesitantly moving closer with forlorn expressions.

"We uh—wanted to check on you," Pain whispered, playing with the tip of his tail.

"Just go away," I whispered back.

"But—" Panic lifted a hand at me.

"Go away," I repeated.

They both frowned and disappeared.

A/N: Oof. I know things got a little "fiery" with Hades this time around, BUT can anyone see the foundational blocks being laid here? Eh? Eh? ;) 

As always, comments and votes are GREATLY appreciated! It helps spread the word about this epic tale of destined yet unconventional love!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9K 96 18
This fanfiction explores an alternate ending to the 1997 Disney film 'Hercules'. In this version of the story, Hades "accidentally" makes Hercules di...
1.8K 55 30
Her life was never supposed to turn out this way. No, in fact life had a whole other route planned for her. But she just happened to catch a certain...
13.5K 527 14
Death is what comes to people like a thief in the night, snatching them with no intentions of bringing them back. Death is a nagging parent that you...
20 0 14
A young girl discovers she has the power to destroy one of the Greatest Gods out there, Hades, who wishes to start a war. With the help of her friend...