The Rogues

By _kaywrites

Control. It's what Evelyn's known her whole life...being controlled by a croupt government run society called... More

1- Intro to Detra
2- Control
3- Matched
4- The Bride
5-No Mans Land
6- Stitches
7- The Test
8- Bullseye
9- Fists out
10- Heads up
11- Bruises
12- The Woods
13 - Moonlight
15- Smoke
16-Arrows
17-Flame
18- Mind Melt
19- Rooftop
20- The Twins
21- Trapped
22- Fury
23- Five Hours
24- Armor
25- A Weapon
26- Jailbreak
27- Power
28- Crimson
29- Heavenly
30- The Martyr
31- Breathe
32- The light
33- Forget Me
34- Don't Look Death in the Eye
35- When the Alarm Sounds
36- Let go
37- The Rising
38- Deception
39- Touch
40- The Gates
Chapter 41- Her Power

14- The Girl

7.1K 223 423
By _kaywrites

Dominic held his head down over the ledge of the balcony, as the cool breeze brushed through his messy hair, lifting it above his blue eyes, so I could see them clearly. He had a look on his face...a look I've never seen before. It was like whatever thought played in his head made him sick to his stomach. Like he regretted ever bringing the thought into his head. I've seen him look serious...but not like this.

He took a deep breath as his gaze remained over the ledge, "It was four years ago."

"What was?" I raised my eyebrow and turned to him

"The incident..."

I've heard Dominic mention the "Incident" before, but I never had the courage to ask what it was. Every time he brought it up, he used it against me being here. Ive always wondered what it was.

"Someone came from Detra...a girl. We used to take rebels in from Detra every now and then...I couldn't bear the thought of letting someone who is immune suffer in that hell hole. Every person who came from Detra was like any other Rogue...expect her." He paused "She...she was different. She had this fire in her eyes that was so intriguing...it was hard for anyone not to like her."

"Verena, was her name." I could tell just the sound of her name sent chills running down his spine...like a bad memory that burned in his head.

"God There's so much I could say about her. You knew when Verena walked in the room, because everyone's eyes lit up. She had this sort of charm to her that was so mesmerizing. She was everything anyone could have wanted. A friend, a leader..." he paused and took a deep breath as he quietly mumbled, "...a lover."

My heart felt heavy as he spoke of her...I wasn't sure why though. Why the hell did I care? I didn't.

"She came from Detra seeking freedom from the government, just like everyone else. She told me that she escaped the chamber, and ran away into the woods, not knowing what to do. Celeste found her in the forest, and brought her to the Rogues. As soon as she arrived...it was like everything shifted. She was young, reckless, determined...beautiful. God was Verena, beautiful." He shook his head, reliving the memories that flowed through his mind.

"She had these eyes...blue as ice, that just reeled people in. She'd shoot you one glance and you would fall to her knees."

Hearing him talk about her bright, blue eyes made me hate my dull hazel eyes even more. I had always wished my eyes were blue. Not to please him though...I didn't care what he thought about me.I didn't.

"She was talented too...a natural at anything she did. She could shoot a target with her eyes closed, and pierce a punch through the air like a blade." Dominic turned towards me, "there so many parts of you that remind me of her"

Dominic gazed at me, studying the look on my face as memories of this girl flooded through his mind. For a moment I think when he looked my way...he saw her face staring back at him, not mine.

He shook his head and looked back down over the ledge, leaning into his shoulders. "There was not a single flaw about her. Everywhere she went, her confidence lit up the room. She had this boldness about her that was almost hypnotizing...it was like whenever people saw her, they couldn't keep their eyes off her. Every girl wanted to be her friend, and every guy wanted to get in her pants." He rolled his eyes.

"But she was very picky with who she got close with...that's why I felt so lucky when she wanted me. Finally having her, felt like I had won a fucking trophy or something...god I was so stupid."

I could see the pain in Dominics eyes as he glanced at me for a second. I couldn't figure out how someone like him, so cold hearted and detached, could let someone tear him apart. How did she break him?

"I'm not one to let my guard down...but she." he paused, "she weakened me. We spent more and more time together, and soon I was completely captivated. Anything she'd ask I would do without hesitation. It was like she had me under a trance or something...looking back, I would never let myself get like that now. Not with anyone."

"I thought she was mine, only mine...but I was wrong. Ezra his name was. He..." Dominic took a deep breath, "...he was my best friend."

Was? Was his best friend.

"Ezra and I grew up together. He was like a brother to me, we were a team. He was the one person other than Celeste, who I felt close to. Nothing could ever tear apart our bond...nothing until her. He was completely in love with her...and so was I. Everytime she wasn't with me she was with him, and everytime she wasn't with him she was with me.It was a while until we started to catch onto what was happening. The day I found him...holding her in his arms...I lost my mind."

"I was so angry that she wasn't just mine...that she was his too. I couldn't handle the fact that he loved her more than I could. She had me wrapped so tightly around her fucking finger that I couldnt even be mad at her. I was mad at him, and he was mad at me. Looking back it was never his fault...he didn't know about us. She convinced me everyday to become more and more angry with him. She even told me in order to prove my love to her I'd have to drop him as a friend, And for her...I'd do anything. Ezra and I became enemies. Being with both me and him was all part of her fucking plan. She purposely wanted to tear us apart....getting close to us was just the start of her scheme."

The sorrowful look in his eyes, turned to anger as his voice stiffened, and he clenched his fists, practically squeezing apart the cigarette that burned out between his fingers.

"I was so fucking stupid...so stupid for letting her do that to me. I dont get close with anyone...but she was the exception. She caused Me and Ezra to grow apart. We argued over her as she sat and watched like it was the main event of a rumble. I was so blind to her."

Dominc fumed with anger, clenching the cigarette to his lips and swallowing a big gulp of smoke. The tension released from his face as he slowly blew the cloud out his mouth, and into the dark night. He cleared his throat and held down the cigarette.

" One day I finally came to my senses and realized how stupid this all was. I wasn't gonna let a fucking girl tear me apart from my best friend..but it was too late. He was completely mesmerized by her, and pushed me away every time I tried to talk to him. That's when I realized something was off...he and I told her everything about the Rouges. Together, we both made her mind stronger than ours. When she had enough info that's when it happened...the incident."

I looked up at him as he peered down the balcony into the dark night. I knew he was afraid to look up at me. Afraid he'd see her in me.

"Ezra took Verena out to his favorite spot in the woods. It was a waterfall. I always told him it was girly of him to love a waterfall so much, but he was always mesmerized by its beauty, and couldn't keep away from it. Taking someone to the waterfall was very important to him...she was very important to him. Of course I was angry he took her there...I couldn't stop thinking about her. How she chose him over me. It didn't matter though because that day is when it all changed...when her true identity showed."

" As soon as Ezra arrived at the falls, hundreds of Detra troopers suddenly surrounded him and Verena. He was trapped. Ezra screamed for help, when I, who was curiously wondering the woods, heard his cry and ran to them as quickly as I could. Though I was angry with him...I would still do anything to help him. As I arrived at the falls, hundreds of Detra troopers flooded the area. The waterfall was such a secret, hidden place...I couldn't figure out how the troops found it...found us. That's when it hit me...it was her." His voice stiffened , as the anger in his eyes resurfaced.

"The whole time she was on their side. The whole fucking time, from the day she arrived, she was working for Detra. She was a spy. Verena's whole story about fleeing Detra was a lie...Detra gov sent her to spy on us. To get close with us, and absorb every piece of information she could so they could find and attack us. She pretended to love me just so she could use me. And I was stupid enough to fall for her tricks..." his voice softened. "....to love her back."

He peered out into the moonlight for a moment, though the moment felt like a lifetime. His mind, racing with thoughts- I could see it in his eyes. Dominic shook his head, and brought himself back to reality.

"When I arrived at the falls, Celeste heard Ezras scream and came too. We tried to hold off the troopers, but there were too many of them. As soon as we got a clear path to run, I reached my hand out to Ezras, offering to pull him away, and run back to the Rogues. He didn't take it. If only he had taken my fucking hand. He pulled away and slowly walked back to Verena. He wanted to stay with her. Even after how she lied to us, deceived us...he still wanted her. He turned around to Verena and held her in his arms. That's when I watched the wicked grin unfurl across her lips as she pulled a rake out of her pocket. I yelled as her fingers clicked a tiny button as the rake shot out into a blade, plunging through Ezras stomach .He dropped to the ground, his eyes piercing through me, screaming in pain"

His voice cracked, "That's when I watched my best friend die, right in front of my eyes."

Dominics face now showed no emotion. No anger, no sorrow, just a vacant look that gazed into the moonlight. Numbness almost.

"I froze in shock...unable to move as she glared at me with her devilish smile. Just like that...he was gone. The thought didn't fully process through my head. My best friend was killed by the woman he loved...by the woman I loved. I fell to my knees...and I screamed. Celeste pulled my arm and yanked me up from the ground, finally getting me to move as we ran back to warn the Rogues. Before we knew it, hundreds of Detra troops surrounded our homeland. We fought as much as we could but we were outnumbered. A quarter of us were killed, and a quarter were taken back to Detra, cutting the Rogues in half. We had to relocate where we lived so the troops wouldn't find us again, leaving the land we lived on for years. We haven't fully recovered since the attack."

I've never felt anything other than hatred towards Dominic, but for once...I felt something else. sorrow. Love is such a foregin thing to me, being in Detra no one really falls in love. Love is such a scary thing too...I couldn't imagine how he felt. It genuinely tore me apart seeing him like this. He was so different then the person he was just a few hours ago...he was filled with emotions he didn't know how to express.

"I've always felt like it was my fault. Because of her...so many lives were lost. I let her get so close, that I was blind to her plan. I was ignorant for letting her use me like that. She consumed my thoughts, messed with my head, and I won't let it happen again. Never. Love is such a wicked thing."

"She took so much away from me, including my best friend. He did nothing but love her...yet she turned against him the moment she had the chance. And the fact that she's still out there, living a rich carefree life in Detra gov makes me sick...it makes my blood boil. After all the pain she caused me, she deserves to burn in hell. I promise that the day we attack Detra...I'm gonna kill her."

Dominc filled with vengeance. it was like his eyes lit up the darkness of the night with a bright orange flame. Though I hate the idea of killing, in dominics situation....I understood his anger. Listening to him open up...felt like I was finally getting to understand him.

"That's why I didn't want to let you in. Ever since the incident we have not let any outsiders from Detra join us. Celeste was just so set on having you stay I don't know why."

He lifted his head and turned his eyes towards me for the first time since he began speaking. "It just makes me so angry because whenever I look at you..." His eyes traveled down my body, meeting me back up at my face as he sighed, 'I see her."

"Dominic I-" I hesitated, trying to find the right words to tell him.

There were so many things I wanted to say to him...so many words that I just could not spit out. So many ways I wanted to reassure him I'm not anything like Verena...but I know he'd shut me out. I don't know why I did but...I really cared how he felt about me. This burning hatred he has is not because of me...it is because of her.

"I had no Idea" I paused, as my voice softened, "I'm so sorry." I gazed at him with the most sincere look I've ever given in my life. I've never seen this side of him before. It was a side that I never expected to see. He was always so vacant...but in this moment, he was filled with emotion.

Dominic stayed silent as he held the cigarette to his mouth, breathing in the smoke, trying to relieve some pain. I gazed at him, as he leaned over the balcony, dancing the cigarette between his teeth, smoke fading into the night. I studied his look...trying to uncover more secrets about Dominic Jones. He was such a mystery.

"I'm really glad you told me that." I said leaning my body into the edge of the balcony like him

"I wanted you to know." He looked up from his gaze and turned his blue eyes to me. Our eyes locked as my heart began to race. In him...I no longer saw the brave, strong person he was a few hours ago...I saw he was broken. In me though...he only saw her. I knew he saw her bright blue eyes in mine because the sincere look on his face turned to anger within moments.

"Why the hell did I tell you that!" He picked up his hand and ran his fingers through his hair tilting back his head. "Im so fucking stupid."

"What?" I stood up in shock. After all that...after finally opening up to me, he regrets it?

"I have no idea if you're just like her...and I told you everything. How the hell could I be so stupid." He fumed, clenching his fists.

"Why can't you see I'm nothing like her?" I shouted

"Your Just like her!" He shouted back, "The way you look...act...Every time you look at me I see her...I have no reason to trust you!'

He was right. He didn't have a single reason to trust me. Though I understood his anger, I just wished it would go away.

"Did you use some kind of mind trick to get me to tell you that...Just like she would have!"

"No!" I pleaded

"How do I know you're not lying!"

"I'm not! why dont you believe me!"

"I don't have a reason to believe you! Hell You're probably not even sober enough to remember a word I said"

"Excuse me?" I crossed my arms "I'm sober enough to know you're being a dick right now."

Dominics stood up and pushed his hands off the ledge. "I'm done with this." He marched passed me, pushing my shoulder as I shouldn't back. As he trailed in front of me, I quickly tossed my arm out and grabbed his wrist, stopping him from walking away.

"Wait!" I yelled "Im sorry."

I gazed up at him, as his body tensed with anger. He crushed the cigarette in his hands, as the ashes fell to the ground. I needed him to know I wasnt like her. I took a deep breath and grasped his hand " Dominic..." I said, peering up at the cold expression on his face as I moved closer.

"You don't have any reason to trust me...but I want you to know..." I placed my hand on top of his. He flinched in shock and turned his head in towards me as he watched my warm hand touch his cold skin.I took a deep breath, feeling the coldness of his body radiate through the tips of my fingers. Damn he was cold.

"...I want you to know that I would never do anything to hurt any of the Rogues. The Rogues gave me the freedom I've been searching for my whole life. You guys gave me a home. I would never hurt anyone to get hurt  because truly...I care".

The anger in his eyes began to fade. He glanced down at my hand, then up into my hazel eyes. Our gazes were locked for what felt like a lifetime. I could see the thoughts in his head fade away as he looked deeper, taking a deep breath. The silence of the balcony didn't bother us...it was nice. The moon lit up his skin, highlighting every angle of his defined face, as his blue eyes lit up the night. When he looked my way, he no longer saw her. He saw me.

"Evelyn babe!" a voice shouted as the balcony door slid open. "I was looking everywhere for you." It was Declan. He wobbled out onto the balcony, basically tripping on his feet. He was very drunk. I shook my head and I quickly pulled my hand away from Dominic. We both turned away from each other.

"What are you doing out here?" Declan glanced at me, then Dominic, then back at me.

"I uh- just needed some air." I rubbed the back of my neck, as Dominic stood silent.

"And uh....Dom?" Declan tilted his head as Dominic raised his eyebrow, pulling another cigarette out of his pocket.

"I needed a smoke." He lifted a lighter to his hand, and flicked it between his fingers as the cigarette sparked.

"Your last person I expected to come to a party tonight." Declan laughed

"Ya uh- Celeste convinced me to come." He sneered, " I regret coming though." He glanced at me. I turned my head to the ground as I felt my heart sink. There's nothing I could say to convince him I'm not like Verena. Whatever...Ill let him be fucking stubborn. I don't care.

"Have a drink and you'll feel better Dom." Declan winked as Dominic rolled his eyes. Declan looked awful. His hair was a mess and his drink was spilled all over his shirt. He wasn't himself  "Come back inside Evelyn." he grabbed my hand and pulled me towards his body.

"I uh- I don't really want to go back Declan." I rubbed my arm. I didn't want to go back...my mind was racing and the last thing I wanted was to go inside with all those people. I just wanted to leave. " Can you just walk me back to my dorm?"

"What!" he shouted, his voice drunk and trembled. " But the parties still on! You're gonna miss the fun!" He was acting strange. I knew it was the alcohol talking but...it was very weird. His words were drawn out and slurred and he could barely look at me without almost falling over. For someone who is so neat and put together...he was a mess.

"Or..." he pulled my hand close to him, I could smell the liquor reaking off his breath. "We could go back to your place like you want..."

I didn't like where this was going.

"...We could have even more fun there." Declan stalked up behind me, hugging my waist towards his body, and pulling me closer. He licked his lips, trailing his hands hungrily up my leg. I quickly tensed up and smacked his hands away from me. What was he doing?

"what are you do-"

"shhh..." he held his fingers up to my lips, hushing me. "Enjoy it." He immediately put his hand back, now taking his touch up my whole body as I helplessly tried to push him away.

"Declan please..."

"I know you want this...after that kiss we had. I know you crave more." He pulled me closer, whispering in my ear, as he started to press his wet lips down my neck.

Dominic stood up as soon as he heard Declan mention the kiss. His eyes lit up with anger.

Declan continued to kiss my neck, "Declan get off of me!" I pleaded.

I tried to move but his grip tightened, holding me so close It was hard to breath, his hands still dragging up my figure. I felt so violated. I didn't want this...it was so unlike him.

"She said get off." Dominic growled. He clenched his fists as he watched Declans hands continue to slide up my body, pressing his lips against my neck as I squeezed my eyes shut, helplessly trying to make it stop. God, I wanted him to stop. The kiss earlier...it was gentle and harmless. This...this was unbearable.

"Did you hear me you bastard? I said get away from her."

"What are you gonna do about it?" Declan laughed, peering up from my neck.

My heart raced in my chest as I saw the anger that fumed through Dominic. I've seen him mad before...but never this mad. Dominic ripped the cigarette out of his mouth and tossed it to the floor as he boiled with anger, marching up to Declan, staring coldly into his eyes.

"Wanna find out?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Kairos By leigh heasley

Science Fiction

842K 23K 28
Time travel is legal and Ada Blum is looking for love. But what happens when one of her charming bachelors from the past makes his way to the present...