Aragons (TO BE REWRITTEN SOON)

By earlfangs

[18x FEATURED] π˜›π˜° 𝘴𝘒𝘷𝘦 𝘒𝘯π˜₯ 𝘡𝘰 π˜₯𝘦𝘴𝘡𝘳𝘰𝘺. Born out of sadness and despair, demonic beings kno... More

Disclaimer
VOLUME 1: THE MIRACLE
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Epilogue
VOLUME 2: THE SINNER
Characters
Achievements

Chapter Nineteen

619 22 61
By earlfangs

Raia closes her eyes and wraps her hand around the cross pendant hanging by a silver chain around her neck.

"Answer my call, Raphael," she whispers, summoning her Blessing.

A flash of light bursts from the necklace clenched in her hand as it transmogrifies into a longsword, and a flame erupts from it, bathing the blade of the sword and illuminating her features and her surroundings. She is dressed in a cropped tank top paired with sweatpants, and her purple hair is neatly pulled up into a ponytail.

She grips the purple hilt of her sword, steadying her breath, and begins leaping around the circular training room, the flame burning and dancing fiercely as she strikes, thrusts, and cuts. The sword hisses in the air. Her ponytail sways from side to side.

Half an hour later, she can feel her mana dwindling as the holy flame of her Blessing continues to burn. That is her handicap; she lacks the stamina to fight an ancient being known as a Blood Demon. She needs to build up her stamina if she is to survive such a battle. And to accomplish this . . .

"We can increase our stamina by exorcising demons. The darkness that shrouds the souls of the lost is what gives our weapons their power. Purifying lost spirits or destroying them can both increase our blessings," Simon said this with a knowing grin on his face.

"I see," Raia muttered, her eyes narrowing to a pinprick. "Does the level of a lost spirit differ in terms of the power it provides?"

Simon's grin broadened. "As I expected of my dear apprentice, you're as sharp as your master."

Simon ignored Raia's glare.

"Yes, the amount of power they can give us varies according to their level. Obviously, Outcasts, the low-level demons, provide us with the least amount of power. On the other hand, those that have already transitioned and evolved into Cimmerians can help our Blessings in reaching the next level faster."

Raia lowered her gaze, digesting this new information. She raised her head and looked up at her master. "What is the highest divine level of our Blessing?"

"Five is the highest divine level of a Blessing. When you reach that level, you will be able to unlock its full power."

Simon pauses and walked over to the table to take a long swig of his wine. "Also, each level your Blessing gains increases your stamina by twenty-five percent." His eyes bore into hers, and Raia held his gaze. "That is why, in order to get stronger, you must slay all demons. Destroy them all and gain power."

"Destroy them all and gain power," Raia utters, echoing her master's words. She opens her eyes and gazes down at her longsword, her eyes reflecting the fire dancing around the blade.

She is now an Aragon, which means she works for a specific organization. Her life isn't her own. Her fate is not in her hands. But that doesn't mean it's the end of her tale. By no means shall her fate be eternally controlled by anything else. Neither the world nor any other entities from another realm. That is why, for the time being, she will serve as a weapon to remove all impediments; to reinstate the balance of the world, to break free from the shackles of the supernatural, and to reclaim herself.

Her humanity.

A fire of determination ignites in her chest, and she holds onto it, keeping it burning within her. Taking a deep breath, she releases her fire and spreads it throughout her body.

"Release thyself, Raphael."

An electrifying sensation swirls through her insides as an immense amount of mana coursing through her transmits into her Blessing. The metal blade of the sword then evanesces the moment the holy flame engulfs its entire length.

She swings her sword, which is now made of fire, in a sweeping arc, releasing a large flame towards the door just as it opens.

Nathan, who appears in the doorway, freezes in place. His eyes widen when a crescent-shaped flame seeps into his body and then fades. It takes him a couple of seconds before he sets into motion again. He lets out a tense chuckle and rumples his hair. He wears a white button-up shirt, leaving it open at the chest with his shirttails tucked into his trousers.

"I heard from Milan you started around two," Nathan says. He walks into the room, his footsteps tapping lightly on the hard surface, and leans against the mortared stone wall. He folds his arms across his chest. "You've been training for the past four hours. Don't you think you deserve at least a thirty-minute break? A coffee break seems to be a good idea for you. Oh, and breakfast will be ready soon."

"Not yet," Raia mutters under her breath.

Nathan raises an eyebrow at her and smiles. "Ah, what a diligent woman. Do you mind if I accompany you, then? Just so you know, I am Mikaelean Branch's finest fighter."

Raia's eyes narrow to a slit and she takes a stance. "Eliminate."

Raia kicks off the ground and pounces like a lion, causing Nathan to freeze in place even as her flaming sword pierces his chest. Since the divine power of her Blessing is activated, it causes no harm to his body. Regardless, trepidation warps the face of the young man. He appears to have stopped breathing as he stares at the girl, whose eyes are as cold as ice. She doesn't even show any hesitation.

Nathan looks at himself and breathes a long sigh of relief. He's not harmed. "You scared the hell out of me."

Raia scowls. "Slow and foolish. You are not a worthy opponent."

Nathan blinks and stares at her for a few seconds before realizing what's going on. His face brightens with a smile. "So you're agreeing to train with me?"

Raia lowers her flaming sword and walks away from him.

Still grinning, Nathan takes a boxing stance, shifting one foot in front of the other and raising his hands to just above chin height. He then leans forward slightly, excitement glinting in his eyes.

"What are you doing?" Raia asks, eyeing him with a frown.

"My physical prowess is my strongest suit. I'm different . . . from the rest of Aragon."

Raia detects an abrupt change in his voice tone, daring in such a way that it sounds eerie. What did he mean by "different"?

"So, I wouldn't be using my Blessing. You're at a clear advantage," Nathan adds, still sporting his cheeky grin. "Now, dear apprentice of Apostle Simon, try to defeat me."

He lets out a nervous chuckle when Raia's expression darkens. He shrugs, bends his knees, and leaps forward like a wild beast.

Raia hops backward to dodge his fist, but the man doesn't blink and reflexively pivots on one heel, charging after her at breakneck speed.

She leaps forward, tucking her knees as she rotates over his head, and lands with a hushed thump behind him. Not wasting a time, she grips her flaming sword tightly and cuts off her connection to her Blessing. The long metal blade of her sword reappears as the holy flame fades.

Then, she lunges at him.

Nathan spins around, a wide grin still on his face, but it quickly fades after seeing the gleaming sharp blade. His eyes dilate with fear, and he immediately bends his body backward, watching the sword swing in a wide arc in slow motion. He leaps back, putting a large gap between himself and Raia.

He shoots her a horrid look. "You almost cut me in half!"

Despite his outburst, Raia's face remains calm. She straightens her back and looks at him with listless eyes. "A training should not be treated casually; otherwise, you will learn nothing. Training is about honing one's mental as well as physical skills. In the face of danger and survival, don't rely solely on your physical strength; your mind must also be active. That is why this training isn't a game. Don't expect me to go easy on you."

Nathan blinks, his mouth slightly open, then his eyes sparkle as a bright smile takes possession of his lips. "Right. You are exactly right." He adopts a fighting posture and flashes her a crooked grin. "All right, then, let the real fight begin."

He dashes forward at the speed of light, then spins as he delivers a kick.

Raia flips backward and charges ahead. Her sword whistles as it cuts through the air continuously. Nathan, on the other hand, performs stunts while evading her attacks. Fists swinging, legs kicking; Nathan, true to his word, does not summon his Blessing and instead relies on his physical prowess.

How bizarre, Raia thinks as she analyzes his movement. His pattern changes so frequently that she is unable to predict his next move. And she can't deny that he is fast, almost as fast as Simon. Faster than she can reasonably expect from an Aragon, unless . . .

"Sorry about this," Nathan, who has suddenly appeared in front of her, says, and Raia lets out a small gasp of pain as his fist slams into her stomach, followed by a groan as her back collides with the wall. She sags to the ground, wincing in pain and clutching her stomach, where an unhealed wound lies.

Nathan's eyes widen in horror. He rushes up to her and kneels beside her on the ground, a worried expression on his face.

"Hey, are you okay? I'm sorry; I tried not to put too much force into it," Nathan starts, then horror sweeps over his features as he comes to a realization. "Y-your wound . . ."

Raia lunges forward and slams her elbow into his stomach, causing him to gasp, before delivering a strong round kick. Nathan crashes into the wall. He lets out a weak chuckle as he slides down.

"What a sly one," he says as he pushes himself off the ground and stands up. He ambles toward her, dusting off his clothes.

"You, what is the divine level of your Blessing?" Raia asks, her face betraying no emotions as if nothing is throbbing painfully in her stomach.

It's been two days since they returned to headquarters from Gerland. Her wound hasn't healed completely, but it's not as deep as it was when she left the hospital. At least.

Nathan smiles at her. "Level two. Yours?"

Raia narrows her eyes, questions arising in her mind. The level of Nathan's Blessing is only two. The skill he has shown lately is impossible for a disciple to possess. His speed and strength are exceptional, far exceeding her expectations for an Aragon based on what she learned from her master.

After receiving the Calling of the Light and accepting the Blessing, they will gain supernatural power that boosts their agility and strength, allowing them to run, jump, flip, and execute tricks that mortals cannot. Their strengths, however, vary depending on the divine level of their Blessing. But, in Nathan's case, such skill for a mere level two is unusual.

Is it an innate skill that has been honed over time? That's absurd. He's only at level two, so his stamina must be around fifty percent. It makes no sense.

Raia's suspicion grows when she recalls that Nathan has only been a disciple for two years, according to Cyrus.

He mentioned that he is different from other Aragons. Is that what he meant when he said that? But . . . what's the reasoning behind that?

Might he be the same as her, who was born with an uncanny skill?

"So . . ." Nathan says, waiting for her response.

Raia returns her attention to him. "Level two."

Nathan grins. "Ah, a newly branded Aragon with a Blessing that is already at level two. I expected no less from Apostle Simon's apprentice."

Raia dismisses his compliment. "What's up with your speed and strength? Is your Blessing truly level two?"

"About that . . . I'm sorry, but I can't reveal my little secret just yet. Though I'm convinced you'll find out shortly, assuming we'll be on the same team one day."

Knowing that she wouldn't get any other answer, Raia turns around and walks toward the door. Her longsword glows bright and transforms into a necklace that hangs around her neck.

"H-hey! Where are you going?" Nathan blurts out just as Raia opens the door. "Are we done with training already?" His features crumple, indicating that he remembers punching her in the wound.

"By the way," Raia says as she stands in the doorway, looking over her shoulder at him. "Train with Kara."

Nathan tilts his head, perplexed. "Kara?"

"You heard what the inspector said. Kara and I will be working together permanently from now on. You're a good fighter, and Kara still has a lot of room for improvement. So help him."

She remembers what Cyrus said. Raiden only had a half-year training period. And it's evident in his reckless moves. He's also a good fighter; it's just that he's easily swayed by his opponents. Nathan, on the other hand, is a skilled fighter. His physical strength and speed are superior to hers. He didn't even use any weapons; just pure hand-to-hand combat. And, based on her observations, Nathan knows how to manage his emotions. He doesn't give off the impression of an easily distracted warrior. Raiden will absolutely learn from him.

As if she has nothing else to say, she goes out of the room and leaves him alone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

773 5 15
Marco Mizayo, better known as Empty, is a memory of a young boy. He wakes up in the Neighboring World, where he encounters Itsuki Scott. To kill the...
10.2K 537 58
Skye is dead. How she perished is a mystery. All she knows is that she is trapped in After, a makeshift city of souls surrounded by infinite darkness...
5.2K 331 93
Elysia has lived countless lives, constantly reincarnating into another world. Sometimes she picks the world, other times the goddess gives her a mis...
1K 70 83
The world as we know it has come to an end... The human race has fallen to its dismay... There's zero hope of survival... The only sound that is comm...