ONE DARK QUEEN ❖ (A Three Dar...

By PheonixGuardian

THREE DARK QUEENS are born in a glen SWEET LITTLE TRIPLETS will never be friends THREE DARK WITCHES all fair... More

Beginning Note
CHAPTER ONE: UMBRA
CHAPTER TWO: ROLANTH
CHAPTER THREE: PRYNN
CHAPTER FOUR: BASTIAN CITY
CHAPTER FIVE: UMBRA
CHAPTER SIX: THE SEA
CHAPTER SEVEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER EIGHT: UMBRA
CHAPTER NINE: SAND HARBOUR
CHAPTER TEN: PRYNN FOREST
CHAPTER ELEVEN: LACTON SQUARE
CHAPTER TWELVE: ROLANTH
CHAPTER THIRTEEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN: UMBRA
CHAPTER FIFTEEN: MOORGATE PARK
CHAPTER SIXTEEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: UMBRA
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: INDRID DOWN TEMPLE
CHAPTER NINETEEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER TWENTY: UMBRA
CHAPTER TWENTY TWO: PRYNN
CHAPTER TWENTY THREE: PRYNN
CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR: ONDINA'S COVE
CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE: ONDINA'S COVE
CHAPTER TWENTY SIX: SHANNON'S BLACKWAY
CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT: THE RADURON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER TWENTY NINE: THE MURTRA ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY: THE ARRON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY ONE: THE MURTRA ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY TWO: THE WESTWOOD ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY THREE: THE WESTWOOD ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR: THE RADURON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTEE THIRTY FIVE: THE MURTRA ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY SIX: THE ARRON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTY THIRTY SEVEN: THE RADURON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT: THE DISEMBARKING
CHAPTER THIRTY NINE: INNISFUIL VALLEY
CHAPTER FOURTY: QUEEN NALANI'S STAGE
CHAPTER FOURTY ONE: THE FIRE DOME
CHAPTER FOURTY TWO: QUEEN ARWEN'S STAGE
CHAPTER FOURTY THREE: THE QUICKENING
CHAPTER FOURTY FOUR: QUEEN CARINA'S STAGE
CHAPTER FOURTY FIVE: QUEEN CARINA'S STAGE
CHAPTER FOURTY SIX: THE MURTRA ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER FOURTY SEVEN: UMBRA
CHAPTER FOURTY EIGHT: ROLANTH
CHAPTER FOURTY NINE: PRYNN
CHAPTER FIFTY: UMBRA
CHAPTER FIFTY ONE: ROLANTH
CHAPTER FIFTY TWO: PRYNN
CHAPTER FIFTY THREE: UMBRA
CHAPTER FIFTY FOUR: ROLANTH
CHAPTER FIFTY FIVE: PRYNN
CHAPTER FIFTY SIX: UMBRA
CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN: INNISFUIL VALLEY
BEFORE
CHAPTER FIFTY EIGHT: PRYNN
CHAPTER FIFTY NINE: UMBRA
CHAPTER SIXTY: THE BLACK COTTAGE
CHAPTER SIXTY ONE: PRYNN
CHAPTER SIXTY TWO: UMBRA
THE BIRTH
AUTHORS NOTE
CHAPTER SIXTY THREE: THE BLACK COTTAGE
CHAPTER SIXTY FOUR: PRYNN
CHAPTER SIXTY FIVE: UMBRA
CHAPTER SIXTY SIX: ROLANTH

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE: ROLANTH

62 3 20
By PheonixGuardian

A/N: this chapter was actually meant to be earlier but I forgot. Apologises in advance I don't think this chapter is good tbh but here we go💀

"I wonder whose idea it was, to send that assassin," Nalani muses as she sits in the Westwood's parlour with Vivianne on a windy spring day. She is having a quick word with her guardian, before she goes into town as she promised with Hestia, Kali and Rowan.

"Doubt it was Andrea's," Vivianne remarks, taking a small dainty sip from her tea cup, "she's too clever for it and her attempt likely would've worked but not even she would stoop to murdering a queen before it's time."

"Wouldn't she," Nalani questions sharply, "the Arrons lost power in the last Ascension, who knows what lengths they'll go to to get their queen on the throne and scrap for bits of their former power."

Ah yes. The famous Arron former power. They had a fabulous era, the poisoner dynasty but even the most seemingly secure structures can crumble in an instant if the right pressure is applied. No one thought the Arrons would leave Indrid Down but now the Murtras are there and it is evident how replaceable everyone truly is on Fennbirn.

"Regardless or whose silly idea the assassination attempt was we can make this to our advantage," Vivianne says with earnest and a smirk, "I've already began spreading the rumours that the assassin tried to poison you but you single handedly stopped her and killed her, that Carina and the Arrons are cowards who lets others do their dirty work. Public opinion is going down rapidly, soon Carina will have no support expect those within her own city."

That makes Nalani smile. Her ascent to the throne is all tying together nicely. She could almost thank her sister for trying to kill her early, it has actually worked in Nalani's favour.

"Thank you Vivianne, I appreciate you doing that, you will be a wise advisor and addition to my Black Council once I am queen crowned," Nalani says and Vivianne nods her head in thanks.

"You know I will always be here to advise and listen to you Nalani, you have been my ward for all these years but as you've grown you are starting to become more than just my ward, you're now my queen," Vivianne says with a small yet loving smile that makes Nalani smile as well.

Nalani is lucky and she recognises that.To have Vivianne and Hestia as her foster family. When she could've had the venomous Arrons or the cruel Radurons. She would almost feel bad for her sisters. But she cannot. That is not the way of queens and there is no point feeling sympathy for those she must kill. But at least she has grown up with love in Rolanth, unlike them and around some semblance of love.

The Westwoods have taken are of her well, especially Vivianne, who is more fierce than past Westwoods. But that's what makes her a good guardian. She is kind yet she is not placid which is the mistake of some of her Westwood predecessors; of course she is competent at the games of Fennbirn politics and she is undoubtedly loyal to Nalani and their common goal of getting Nalani on the throne.

"Kind words Vivianne, loyalty like yours is rare to find on Fennbirn and it makes allies like you precious, you will not regret the faith you have trusted in me," Nalani promises.

"I know," Vivianne replies fondly, "you will be a good queen, one to remember."

————

The central district of the elemental city is quiet today, it is a cold and windy day, discouraging some of the usual merchants - particularly those from the south - to set up stall. They do not trust the temperamental weather but the locals, the ones who know Rolanth and it's ways know better, they do not let such weather stop or discourage them. Particularly the ones who carry the gift. It is their way to be free in elements such as these. And the cold wouldn't effect them anyway.

Queen Nalani walks among them as she passes through. She barely feels the cold and wind, as her black hair almost floats behind her, some might even think she's manipulating the elements for the effect. But she doesn't need to in these winds. Her hair is loose today, as it usually is, wild on the winds like an elemental queen. It makes her look beautiful, fierce. Like a queen to be reckoned with.

Her companions who walk beside her, Hestia who had the sense to tie her curls back into a bun though a few strands break free, Kali who unfortunately has no gift to keep the cold at bay is shivering in her shawl and finally there is Rowan who barely notices anything as he hangs onto the Fire Queen's every word, weapons strapped at his side out of habit. He may be an elemental but the years in Bastian City have made him a little warlike. Which is good. He is ideal for Nalani's protection because of his training.

"High Priestess Corra was just as much of a bitch as usual, she was more concerned about me burning Mab than that poisoner almost killing me," Nalani snaps, "I truly hate her now, when I'm queen crowned I will turn public opinion against her for this, a coup against the High Priestess," she muses, a wicked yet amused twinkle in her eyes, "that will be a new one, even for the island."

Rowan nods, standing so close to Nalani as they all walk, though he stands nearly a head taller than her and he's as handsome as ever.

"Lani I agree the High Priestess was wrong but she does hold a powerful position and you might lose public opinion yourself if you push against her, some are very pious after all, and losing the temple's support will not serve you well," he advises, keen to protect his queen at every turn. That seems to be the role he is so keen to fill as he easily falls in love with her: The queens protector. But Nalani does not need such protecting.

Nalani turns to him, narrowing her eyes, "what makes you think I even have any temple support now?"

"Lani I agree with Rowan," Hestia pipes up before Rowan can speak, "you're very popular with the people and some of the temple definitely support you, the temple have always liked the elemental gift in recent years and the High Priestess can't publicly dislike you or stand against you, it's not a good precedent to set, after all they believe that you are the Goddess in human form."

Nalani smiles at that, "ah yes the Goddess, the blessing and bane of my existence," she says, sighing as she nods in acknowledgment at some enthusiastic merchants who won't stop staring at her, their mouths gaping.

Her people are in awe of her. Now more than ever. With all the speeches she's been doing recently, even in cities outside of Rolanth - even a little close to Prynn - the people revere her and they put their faith in her. She promises them wondrous things and with her strong gift  she plans on keeping her word and eventually leading her people to greatness, a Fennbirn Golden Age. Some might call her too ambitious but Nalani knows that she can do this, she can prove herself. Since all the triplets are strong this cycle she must be popular, show them that they should support her - both a strong and capable queen.

She hasn't just been using her words either, a particularly bad storm in a city just last the outskirts of Rolanth had their temple damaged. She had it rebuilt. And the town's bards sang of her generosity, her beauty, her kindness and her fierceness and Vivianne reported that all toasted her name in their local taverns, Nalani Light Bringer - that's what they called her. It symbolises both her fire gift and her goodness.

She even travelled as far as Trignor, so close to Carina's poisoner city and delivered food to a poverty stricken part of the town. Ones whose crops had been failing. The poor people were giftless, no naturalists between them so they couldn't salvage the dying crops. The weather had not been kind to them. So Nalani provided for them, after she had personally negotiated a deal with some Wolf Spring traders. It's not technically illegal and Vivianne did approve, saying it gave Nalani a chance to practise queenly skills.

And so she brought them fresh grain and food supplies they cried and wept, tears of happiness and thanks as they kissed her very shoes, even the hem of her dress. And they, like the towns before, toasted her name, sang many songs and spread the word all around of her generosity, her compassion but they also spoke of her bravery and cunning. The way she single handedly outsmarted Carina's assassin, defending herself and her people. Or so that's the tale that the people have somehow heard. But Nalani isn't about to stop it, even if the truth is exaggerated just a little. What can she say, it's not like she started the rumours personally. So what's the harm?

"If you continue to refuse a temple alliance you still have us, we will protect you, I will protect you," Rowan says, looking at her with such fondness in his eyes.

If she's honest Nalani doesn't like it. Yes Rowan has returned and those past feelings are growing again. But she doesn't need saving, she likes to be independent and she worries a little that someday she'll disappoint him. He loved her long ago but she was a child then. She is different now, he is different. And she thinks Rowan has created a perfect picture in his mind from the years in Bastian. A picture that doesn't reflect the true her. After all they are still getting to know each other again. What if when he knows the true her he might not think she's worth protecting or loving.

All these thoughts she keeps to herself, she's only confided in Kali a little. But the maid is a quiet girl anyway, she wouldn't betray Nalani's confidence.

Rowan's words may make her worry but Hestia's face scrunches up in disgust. Both at the fact Rowan is her cousin and Nalani is her best friend.

"Goddess save me if I have to endure this shitty attempt at flirting whenever we go out together," she says, shaking her head as she locks eyes with Kali who laughs quietly. The maid has been given leave, or rather Nalani demanded it and Vivianne begrudgingly agreed. But still Kali is a quiet, likely because of Rowan's presence as she is incredibly shy.

Nalani only rolls her eyes, not having the energy to retort anything with Hestia so she goes on to another topic. One that keeps pressing in the back of her mind. A queen's worry this time.

"This is off topic but think about it, the poisoners must be desperate if they're stooping to shitty assassination attempts before the Ascension even starts, if they think Carina can't even kill me herself then she must be weaker than I thought, was it truly an Arron attempt to prop her up?," Nalani says as she contemplates it, "I'm not sure, the whole thing seems a little careless for the work of Andrea Arron but I still want retribution."

The others share wary glances at each other as they listen to the queen, they know how angry Nalani was and still is about the assassination attempt. She has quite a temper at times and that can make her dangerous.

"Carina surely won't stand a chance against you Lani, even with the Arrons fighting in her corner," Hestia reassurances with a smile as she looks at her best friend, "your gift is so strong, maybe even just as strong as Mirabella Mistbane's or perhaps Elo the Fire Breather."

Nalani smiles at her best friend, always her biggest supporter, "perhaps, I don't want to settle for just being a elemental queen though, I want to be a queen who has more skills than that of her gift."

"And you will be," Rowan assures her as they walk some more.

They are heading for Felecite's Pub, one named after the last elemental queen whose own Ascension ended in a tower. Still, she has some recognition in Rolanth. Many places are named after queens.

"Oh no," Hestia suddenly groans and everyone looks to her in confusion, "I forgot I was supposed to buy mother a birthday gift today but Penman Market will likely shut soon."

"Not if we hurry," Kali reassurances, a determined expression of her face as she clasps Hestia's hand, "I'll accompany you."

"Thank you Kali," Hestia says very dramatically as she hugs the maid who blushes a little and then she turns to Nalani giving her a sly wink, "right we better set off now, you two go on ahead to to Felecite's, no need for us all to bother with tiresome gift shopping."

She catches Kali's eye then and the maid catches on remarkably quickly but Kali is quiet and being observant goes hand in hand with that,

"Ah yes, we ought to be off now, I'll be all the help Hestia needs, you two have fun now," she says with a little smirk as she and Hestia turn and start walking the other way with waves.

Nalani narrows her eyes, sensing Hestia's intentions with this and their audacity. They don't even give Nalani or Rowan time to respond before they're off, arm and arm and giggling like two schoolgirls.

A gust of wind suddenly picks up and blows Nalani's hair to disarray even more. But she embraces it, she likes Rolanth's volatile weather.

"Let's head inside before you catch a chill," Nalani says, smiling as they both walk towards the pub's door.

"I may have lived in Bastian all these years but I'm still an elemental, if I caught a chill from a small gust of wind Hestia would never let me live it down," Rowan says, chuckling as they head on inside.

They picked a quiet pub today, so people won't make so much of a fuss at her arrival. Her popularity has grown a little too much these days. Her people are desperate to see her. But it can be difficult to go anywhere in Rolanth with discretion now. But she can't complain. Popularity is key for her becoming queen crowned. It is something Carina certainly doesn't have right now. Neither does Arwen particularly. Most people are way because of her gift and the strange power it has.

The pub is a comfortable place, modest in size and not exactly luxurious but it is ideal to have conversations without fear of spies and the like. And a place of discretion.

The barmaid spies them as they sit down instantly and begins to walk over to their table. The pub is usually quiet so it explains the attention they instantly receive.

"I was thinking that when I'm queen crowned I don't want to be just another forgotten elemental queen whose name could easily be lost within a generation or two," she sighs, "I want greatness and I also want to be recognised for a skill that I've learnt, not one that I inherited."

"Well that is why we have come to train you after all, me and the others," Rowan continuing his point as a barmaid spies them sitting and begins to walk over to their table, "we will make sure you can protect yourself, not only with your little elemental tricks though I do love your flames."

"You'll make a war queen out of me soon enough," Nalani laughs, though she contemplates all the weapons and glory that come with a war gift, "although that's not a bad thing, war queens reigns are often filled with glory and riches galore."

"You're much more fierce than any war queen with the infernos you can produce, or at least you were the last time I saw you use your gift," Rowan says as they both recall fond memories when they were children.

Nalani's gift came early, when she was ten. Not as drastically early as some queens but certainly not as late as others. Like Queen Hadly whose own war gift came on her sixteenth birthday.

She was even more proud, if not arrogant, as a child reeling with her new gift and the power and comfort she got from the flames she could produce as easy as drawing breath. She used to show off a lot, especially to Rowan. Hestia was her best friend but Rowan was something else even when she was younger - until he went to Bastian.

"My gift hasn't changed much since then, I still prefer my flames over the rest," Nalani smiles and looks over as the dainty sound of footsteps becomes more audible.

The barmaid is upon them now, a short little thing with mousy hair who looks very nervous, especially as she locks eyes with Nalani's black ones and her eyes widen in recognition.

"Your majesty," she stammers, attempting an awkward looking bow much to the amusement of Nalani who raises an eyebrow at Hestia and catches her eye.

"Please no need for such dull formalities," Nalani says, giving the waitress a dazzling smile, "call me Nalani."

The barmaid returns her smile nervously, "I'll get you all some of our best ale shall I? On the house?"

Rowan looks to Nalani, waiting for her to make the first move. Him and the rest of her friends have all started to get like that lately. Following her lead. Preparing for her reign she supposes.

"Yes thank you," Nalani says, turning back to Rowan and she stares at him for a while and he does the same. Both in silence, both studying each other.

"Done staring?" Rowan says, cracking a smile to ease the awkwardness.

In all honesty it makes her blush, "sorry," she apologises and the words feel foreign for she barely ever uses them, "this is just odd to put it plainly."

"What's odd?"

"I don't know, just as being together so casually," Nalani says, "after all this time apart, we used to fit so seamlessly together but we are not children anymore."

"No," Rowan agrees, "we are not."

She knows she's supposed to be a queen. But she's also just a girl and no matter how much she wishes she could not have such trivial girlish worries, they're still there. But she will not let rule her, she will rule both her country and her heart.

"It doesn't have to be a bad thing," Rowan says, "we have both grown as people, we are both full grown now, you have learnt to be a queen crowned and I have learnt to be a mediocre warrior," he muses and they both chuckle at that.

"Only mediocre?" She teases, "all this years spent in Bastian yet you're not a match for me?"

"How could I be?" Rowan questions, leaning towards her with those pretty green eyes, "you're a queen .... powerful, fearless and so beautiful it almost hurts."

She looks down at him from his eyes for a minute, not being able to help the natural smile growing, "I bet you've said that to many war gifted girls."

He shakes his head at that and gives her another one of those easy going smiles. He may have grown but his smile hasn't changed. Goddess that smile. How can she resist?

"Never, how could any of them possibly compare to you," Rowan replies, "we were friends when we were young but this is different, as soon as I rescued you from the water it was like fate, like the Goddess wanted it to happen, I can't truly explain but as soon as I was near you I felt this lightness, like I knew I would love you almost instantly."

Nalani laughs at that, "that's ludicrous you can't love me, you barely know me, we have both grown up."

"I know, this probably sounds like the ramblings of a mad oracle," to which Nalani nods and laughs at, "but I care about you, maybe not love yet, but the more time I spend around you the more I want to be near you," Rowan says and she drops her eyes from his.

Goddess what was happening to her? Rowan has barely been back but already she is starting to feel something for him and he claims to care for her. She doesn't like it. Things are moving too quickly and she can not control it. She shouldn't even be focusing on this, she should focus on her goals and futures. But she can't deny that she does desire him. She just doesn't want to lose control.

As if the maid knows Nalani needs more time to think on this she brings two ales over, placing them down to which they both murmur a faint thank you.

Nalani instantly takes two large gulps, wiping her mouth with her hand and trying not to cringe at the taste. She doesn't tend to like alcohol but today she'll make an exception.

"We can't do this," she finally says calmly once she has composed herself.

"Why not?"

"Because"

"Because what"

"Because I'm a queen," she snaps, "I need to focus on my Ascension without distractions and not to mention that where would this lead? I cannot marry you, I must take a mainlander as my king consort."

"I will be whatever you want me to be, even your court jester," Rowan says which makes Nalani smile again, "and we don't have to think that far ahead yet, can't we just enjoy each other's companies and live in the present rather than the future, you're no oracle Nalani, you don't need to worry needlessly about uncertainties."

His hand gently caresses her cheek at this point in comfort and she doesn't bat him away. She doesn't want to.

"Just live," he sighs, "live in the present with me for a just a moment and lose yourself."

"Losing myself makes me vulnerable and I'm a little afraid," she admits and even surprises herself. She can count the times she's admitted she's scared on a single hand. One lesson she has taught herself growing up as queen for a future as ruthless as hers, is to not be afraid.

Nalani is not afraid for a bad reason, but she knows she runs the risk of losing her heart if she goes down this road. And giving up her heart terrifies her but it also excites her beyond words.

"You needn't be," he says, with such certainty in his honest green eyes that she almost believes him, "look at me and tell me that you don't desire me and I'll leave then we will never be anything more than reunited friends."

They sit in silence for a moment as she considers him and her gaze strips him bare with the sharpness and intensity of it.

"I don't desire you," she says slowly and he instantly leans away from her, disappointment written all over his face as he turns away from her.

Until Nalani shakes her head and before either of them can process it, she turns his head back towards her, her hands wrapping gently around his face and kisses him.

It takes Rowan a minute to process as he kisses her softly, as if letting her lead for a little bit at a slow tempo, like he is composing a beautiful tune and she is his muse.

It starts off a little unsure and so tender until it quickly grows more passionate and fiery, as if they cannot get enough of one another. Like they are addicts, drowning in each other's passion and she is happy to let herself drown for him. Even if it is just for this moment.

Until he pulls away suddenly, a gleam or excitement and desire in his eyes as he looks at her lips and then at her eyes and she gives him a last quick kiss before she leans back and smiles at him.

"I wasn't ...," he says, a little flustered as he stumbles over his words," that was unexpected."

He sits for a moment, too many emotions darting across his face for Nalani to make sense of any of them.

"Why did you lie," he suddenly accuses, "and then you just kissed me out of nowhere."

Nalani considers it for a moment until she answers, "Honestly I don't know, I said what I ought to say, I thought about it like a queen would but then I let my heart take over a little," she pauses for a second, sighing as she almost shakes her head at him, " I can't help my girlish desires but it can't come in the way of my aspirations and my path to queen crowned, that is my fate."

Rowan nods, still a little dazed and blushing from the kiss, "I understand Lani but I say for now we just enjoy each other's company, how does that sound?"

"Sounds like a good idea but not a wise one," Nalani says with a laugh and they talk again and again and for those small moment she lets herself forget.

Forgets she is a queen and all the responsibility and hardship that comes with it. And she just lets herself be a girl, Nalani, not the future queen of anything. And they are just a boy and a girl, enjoying an outing as their feelings grow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.9K 535 21
*Book 3 of Reuniting The Council Series* Maya once was a slave to rogues, all her life in fact. But one day that all changed. The day that Crystal sh...
94.1K 4.2K 63
Several months have passed, following the War with the Valg. Fenrys Moonbeam is slowly settling into his new role as the Ambassador of Terrasen, whil...
Found Again By IrisClark

General Fiction

253K 6.2K 59
Juliane, Jayin, Jorden triplets were raised by their abusive drug-addicted mom Erica. All three have a traumatic past that they don't willing share...
35K 3.5K 126
In a world of magic and myth, everybody's got a secret or two. An immortal sorcerer, Merlin, pretends to be a child to become Harry Potter's secret...