The Rogues

Od _kaywrites

Control. It's what Evelyn's known her whole life...being controlled by a croupt government run society called... Více

1- Intro to Detra
2- Control
3- Matched
4- The Bride
5-No Mans Land
6- Stitches
7- The Test
8- Bullseye
10- Heads up
11- Bruises
12- The Woods
13 - Moonlight
14- The Girl
15- Smoke
16-Arrows
17-Flame
18- Mind Melt
19- Rooftop
20- The Twins
21- Trapped
22- Fury
23- Five Hours
24- Armor
25- A Weapon
26- Jailbreak
27- Power
28- Crimson
29- Heavenly
30- The Martyr
31- Breathe
32- The light
33- Forget Me
34- Don't Look Death in the Eye
35- When the Alarm Sounds
36- Let go
37- The Rising
38- Deception
39- Touch
40- The Gates
Chapter 41- Her Power

9- Fists out

6.5K 205 389
Od _kaywrites

"Remember Ev, study the rhythm of my swing. Shoulders up, fists out, watching my every move..." Celeste backed up and held out her fists, "now..." she paused and took a deep breath, "Try taking a swing at me."

Ok you can do this Ev.

I bounced my feet around the ring with my fists hovering in front of my body. I took a deep breath and quickly threw my right arm at Celeste. She raised her hand and blocked my swing with her wrists, dodging my punch. She hurled her fists towards me as I quickly ducked underneath her punch.

I got it!

Suddenly Celeste plunged her arms towards my body, and pounded me right in the stomach as I swung back and trampled onto the ground.

Don't got it.

Celeste extended her arm down towards me. I grasped her hand as she yanked me up off the ground. "Looks like fighting doesn't come as easily to you as shooting." She laughed.

Celeste and I finished up my training that day with some boxing. Let's just say I'm not the best boxer...Every punch Celeste tossed at me I just couldn't dodge, and every hit I threw Celeste blocked effortlessly.

"Ya" I rolled out my shoulders , trying to regain my balance "I'm pretty awful."

"You'll get better with practice don't worry...let's just hope you don't get picked to fight at the Rumble tonight!"

"Don't get picked? What do you mean?" I puzzled.

" ok..let me explain to you what a Rumble is." Celeste  smirked " A Rumble is this sort of sporting event we hold every so often. Are there any sports in Detra?"

"I think so...all the higher up officials would play Cricket sometimes, they called that a sport."

"Cricket? Psfff." She laughed "I wouldn't call that a sport, there's no action! Now what you're about to watch tonight...that is some real action." Celeste tucked her hair behind her ear and leaned towards me. "A Rumble is just the Rouges fancy word for a boxing match."

"What's a boxing match?" I raised my eyebrow

"Well, It's like what we just practiced today in the ring...expect no padding, and the opponent's keep fighting each-other until either all the rounds are over, or one person gets knocked out. A knockout is an automatic win."

"Wow..." I gasped with my eyes wide open, " So you toss two people and a ring, and they just...beat each other up?" That didn't seem very appealing to me, though in Detra, we wouldn't even think of doing something like that.

"Yea...it's awesome" An exciting grin spurred across Celestes face.

"Ive never heard of anything like that before!" I placed my hands over my mouth.

"Oh, It's a lot of fun!" Celeste beamed, "but only if you don't get picked to fight...if you get picked to fight...sheesh, good luck then."

"So...people get picked to fight?"

"Yup. One of our leaders draws out a name from a hat, and the person who's name is drawn, has to fight. The person who was chosen can either pick who they want to fight, or they randomly draw another name."

"Have you ever gotten picked?" I questioned

"Oh yea many times...but martial arts is my specialty, so getting in the ring excited me. I've hardly lost a match. Granted, I've had some really close fights, but It's been awhile since I've had a loss."

"That's amazing!" I beamed. It was easy for me to read Celeste. She was tough as a brick but had a heart of gold, and would easily put others before herself anytime...that's why she was so set on helping me..because she was so selfless. One other thing is she definitely does not like to lose, and she likes things done her way. For how sweet she is, Celeste is one person I definitely would not want to cross.

"Anyways, why don't we get out of here. Cassian, Ileana, and Declan are going to meet us at my place so we can go to the rumble together."

"Declan's coming!" My eyes lit up. It was so refreshing to talk to a guy who was nice to me, who  respected me. I wanted to see him again.

"yes." Celeste rolled her eyes " please don't tell me you have a thing for him."

"No..no, it's just...he was very nice to me." I blushed.

"Don't get too attached, as I said he's the romantic of the Rogues. He'll throw a smile and a wink at any girl and they'll swoon at his feet...quite charming."

"Did you ever have a thing for him?" I pondered.

"God no!" Celeste laughed, "He's not really my type."

"Oh...what is your type then?"

"Well...I uh." She paused and looked nervously at her toes," I kinda swing the other way...if you know what I mean."

I looked at her puzzled. I don't know what she means. I figured it was probably something personal to her and I didn't want to be nosy, so I simply looked at her and nodded. "Oh ya...of course."

We went back to Celestes' room and a few hours passed by. Suddenly I heard a knock at the door as Celeste picked up her head and shouted, "coming!" She swung open the door, and Cassian, Ileana and Declan stood quietly in the hallway.

"You ladies ready?" Cassian blurted.  Celeste nodded as her and I walked out the door and into the hallway. "Evelyn!" Declan's face lit up" I'm glad to see your joining us! Are you excited?"

"Ohhh that's right, its Evelyn's first Rumble!"  Cassian blurted, " I remember my first Rumble like it was yesterday...I was 16, it was a cold dreary night about 6pm when I-"

"-Cassian we don't need to know your whole  life story." Ileana rolled her eyes, " so Evelyn...how are you feeling?"

"Kinda nervous" I replied, " we never had anything like this back in Detra."

"Well, you are in for a treat then. Us Rouges love a good bit of action." Declan winked at me with his vibrant emerald eyes. I felt my cheeks flush...there was something so charming about him.

"Oh shut up Declan." Ileana punched his shoulder as he laughed looking down at his feet.

"Oh we're here!" Celeste shouted

We walked through two giant doors into an enormous round stadium. Ive never seen anything like it in my whole life. My eyes lit up as I studied the area.

"Evelyn...welcome to Halter Stadium!"

I gazed around. Slanted, elevated seats curved up and around the colossal stadium walls,  encircling a small boxing ring that raised above the ground. There was a small section of seats that were higher up...I wonder who sits there? We cut our way through the halls of the stadium as they flooded with people. I never realized how many Rouges there were...had to be at least 500. How did they all get here?

We made our way to our seats as Celeste stopped, "I totally forgot...I have to sit up there tonight." She pointed towards the high elevated seats that rose above the stadium. "Ev you ok staying with them?"

I glanced back at Cassian and Ileana as they stood gazing at me with welcoming smiles. "yea that's fine." I nodded and looked up at Declan as a charming smirk flushed across his lips.

"Good...I'll see your guys afterwards then." Celeste waved as she departed from us. We walked up to our seats...they were up high enough that we had a clear view of the arena, but low close enough that we could still see every detail. It was perfect.

"These are the seats I always pick" Cassian flaunted "they're the best seats in the house...other than the one up where Celeste is."

"Why is Celeste up there anyways?" I asked.

"Well, that's where all the Rouge unit leaders sit. Here, we don't have one specific leader...we have a few people who are in-charge of different units, and they all work together to get things handled. Celeste is head of the training unit, that's why she's up there.", Declan explained. Now that he mentioned it, I do remember Cassian saying something about Celeste being in charge of training. I peered up at the seats and puzzled, " who are the other leaders?"

"Well, to the right there is Amaya Leaye, she's head of  farming and planting.", Declan pointed to a tall woman with smooth tan skin and long raven hair that slicked back into two braids. She was older, maybe in her 40s, and sat boldly with her chin up and shoulders back. "Next to her is Peter Halter, he's head of communications.", Peter was tall and broad with short brown hair and freckles that laid across his nose. "Peter is kinda important here...", Declan continued, "...his word has the most impact on council decisions, because his family founded this place."

"is that why this is called Halter Stadium?" I looked up at Peter.

"That's exactly why. Peters kinda a snob though. He thinks since his family founded this place, he has power over everyone. But in reality, every Rouge is self sufficient, and no one is ruled by anyone."They way Declan spoke about Peter really reminded me of Grant. Declan glanced back up at the seats. " You already know Celeste and next to her is Dominic Jones, he's head of combat and battle."

Cassian nudged my shoulder, "don't worry she already knows Dominic!"

"You met Dom?" Declan raised his eyebrow.

"Unfortunately." I rolled my eyes

"Lucky you." He gawked sarcastically, and shook his head. "Anyways...", Declan glanced back up at the seats, "The man next to Dominic is Theo Halter...he doesn't run a unit but he is the  founder of this place." I peered up to see an old man sitting quietly in a big chair. He had a long scruffy grey beard and broad body. It was hard for me to tell what age he might be... his hair and mouth looked old yet his eyes and body looked young. I noticed his left eye was wrapped in an eyepatch that a long scar that touched from the top of his temple to the bottom of his jaw, pierced out of. I wonder what happened? He and Dominic were talking to each other, it was the first time I saw Dominic look...happy. He smiled as they conversed with one another.

"Theo like a father to  Dominic, he basically adopted Dom when he first came here, that's why they're so close. Celeste is like that too." 

Both Celeste and Dominics origin puzzled me. They definitely weren't Rouges at first...so who were they? Suddenly the noisy stadium silenced as a man with slicked black hair and a leather jacket holding a microphone hopped into the center of  the boxing arena.

"Ladies and Gents!" The announcer roared in a loud stentorian voice. "Let's get ready...TO RUMBLE!" He held up his arms as the entire stadium roared. I stood silently as everyone around me completely lost their minds. The entire stadium lit up as everyone cheered and stomped their feet aggressively on the bleachers, causing my seat to shake violently underneath my body. A wave of riotous noise fled across the walls of the stadium, It was so bizarre...these people looked like they were going mad. I loved it.

"Shhh..." reassured the announcer, as the room quickly quieted. "It's about time we see who our first fighter is!" He pulled a thin slip of paper out of his pocket and waved it in the air as the crowd cheered.

"Calm down...calm down." The announcer waved his hand and waited until the room got absolutely silent. "Ok..." He slowly unfolded the slip of paper.

Anticipation filled the stadium. A wave of silence spread over everyone...eager to hear the name that was picked slip off the announcers tongue. A rush of anxiety fell over me...what if I'm picked? My heart raced as I leaned forward in my seat, biting my nails, waiting to hear the announcer speak.

"First up is..." I held my breath, "...Samuel Hawk". I took a sigh of relief as a tall muscular man with a shiny bald head strutted out of his seat and made his way to the ring. He peered through the isles of the arena with his chest up and shoulders back, shouting ,banging his arms on his chest like a gorilla, and flaunting his muscles to the crowd as they cheered him on.  He stepped into the ring and stood next to the announcer. "Mr Hawk...would you like to choose who you fight tonight, or do you want to have a name randomly chosen?"

"I want to pick." Samuel grunted into the microphone.

"Who will you be picking?" The announcer held the mic to Samuels lips. He paused for a moment and peered out into the audience of Rouges.

"Dominic Jones." He smirked as hundreds of whispers flooded the stadium. Chills ran down my spine as I heard his name echo throughout the arena walls. Dominic stood up from his seat, shrugged and walked down the isles of the stadium like he's done this a hundred times.

"Ugh, So Sam's one of those guys." Cassian rolled his eyes

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Almost every Rumble, some guy who thinks they're really tough picks to fight Dominic. If you beat Dominic...you gain this sort of social status, and are considered the strongest Rouge or something. But in reality...it's impossible to beat Dominic...it's never been done. Hell, no one has ever made it past the first round with him.  I think the longest someone's been in the ring with him was three minutes. He's a beast."

"Wow." I gazed at Dominic as he lifted the rope and duct under the boxing ring.

"This guy should just give up now." Ileana laughed, " He's foolish if he thinks he can win against Dom."

Dominic grabbed the ends of his shirt and slipped it over his shoulders revealing his refined muscles that were graced all over his body. He rolled back his shoulders and walked around the ring to warm himself up. I noticed his shoulder...still hugged in the bandages that I wrapped around it.

"He's gonna fight with his arm injured?" I peered at him.

"A little scratch like that doesn't faze Dominic." Laughed Cassian. A scratch? He was shot! I felt my attention wandering to him. I've never seen a man with a body like his...he was just so fit. His muscles were perfectly defined, from the sharpness of his collarbone to the deep V line under his abs. If only he wasn't a dick...maybe I would be able to find him attractive.

"I know he's a dick but, Damn. Gotta say, Dominic is HOT." Cassian drooled, "I mean look at that bod...Don't you think so Evelyn...Evelyn?" I stared out into the ring, unknowingly admiring Dominic.

"Evelyn!" Cassian grabbed my attention.

"What!" I shook my head

"Don't you think?"

"Think what?"

"Dominic is hot!"

"I uh..." I peeked up at Declan as he glared at me with an upsetting look. "...I don't think so." I awkwardly laughed and rubbed the back of my neck. Of course I thought so...I just didn't like to admit it. I didn't want to find him attractive...he treated me like fucking dirt, and the last thing I wanted to do is feed into his ego like Grant. I just couldn't help it...there was something about it.

"Oh common are you blind!" Cassain wailed

I smiled at him and rolled my eyes. I peered back at Dominic as he gently pushed back his curly brown hair and slipped his husky fingers into a boxing glove. "Dominic and Samuel, are you guys ready?" Dominic stretched his arm across his muscular chest and nodded at the announcer. Samuel bounced up and down, banging his body with his boxing gloves to loosen up his muscles nodding his head. "Are you guys ready? The announcer opened his arms to the crowd as everyone cheered. "Ok...touch gloves." Dominic towered over Samuel as they moved closer and each other tapped their gloves. Dominic looked down at Samuel, unfazed, as Samuel looked up with rage in his eyes. 

"Ready..." the announcer held up his hand as the eyes of everyone in the stadium focused strictly on the ring "...fight!" A bell chimed as the announcer swung his hand down and quickly jumped out of the ring. Dominic and Samuel circled around the ring, bouncing lightly back and forth on their feet. Samuel tested Dominic, throwing punches through the air to intimidate him. Dominic didn't even flinch a muscle. Samuel,boiling with anticipation, quickly threw his fist into the air,  peering at Dominics head. Dominic quickly jabbed up his fist and blocked the hit with his right arm, as he tossed his left towards Samuels stomach, giving him a potent blow in the chest. Samuels body stumbled backwards as he quickly regained his balance. The intensity boiled between the two. Samuel rolled out his shoulders and took a deep breath as he pounced towards Dominic again. Samuel struggled against him, hurling his mass into Dominic. Samuel was quick but Dominic was quicker...he blocked every punch Samuel tossed effortlessly. Samuel stepped forward, swung his arm back and rammed his fist into Dominics defined jaw. Dominic's head swung to the side, and he slowly turned his neck back to the center. He glanced down at the tint bit of blood that trickled from his mouth and gazed back up at Samuel. Samuel backed up to catch his breath, " is that all you got?" He grunted. Dominic licked the blood off his lips and shook his head, smirking with a hungry look in his eyes...like he was craving a good fight. Samuel ran up to Dominic and tossed out his fist; Dominic dodged the punch and quickly came up with his own. He plunged his fist into Samuels jaw, blood pooled out of his mouth and dripped on the ground. Dominic dug his glove into Samuel and jabbed his stomach, repeating his powerful punch over and over again. As Samuel pushed away, a wave of fear fled over his face as he watched Dominics glove cut through the air like a blade. Dominic threw his whole weight into his punch as he swung his arm back, and quickly tossed it forward, pounding his fist into Samuels cheek, causing him to blackout and instantly fall to the ground like stone.

"A knockout!"

The crowd roared as I watched Dominics chest gently rise and fall with every breath he drew in. His eyes peered down at Samuels unconscious body, looking proudly at what he had just done. Sweat trickled down his refined cheekbones as he glanced back up at the cheering crowd and wiped his forehead.  Samuel regained his consciousness and dazed out into the crowd. Dominic stepped over and reached his hand out to Samuel, helping him up, "sorry about that man." Dominic mumbled. Samuel rolled his eyes as he balanced back on his feet. The announcer ducted his head under the rope and pounced into the center of the ring. "That was a good fight!" He shouted "Though it only lasted two minutes...so you know what that means" the announcer grabbed Dominics brawny arm and held it in the air. "...Dominic wins! Still after 100 fights...leaving him undefeated!" The crowd cheered as Dominic surveyed the audience with a sly look in his eyes. I gazed at him and our eyes met, he took a deep breath as he slowly clenched his fingers and held them to his mouth. He looked me in the eye as he slowly brushed his fist across his lip, wiping away the crimson blood that trickled down his chin. My stomach swarmed with butterflies as he looked up at me. I didn't understand it...every bone in my body absolutely hated him...but there was something unearthly charming about him that made my heart race. I quickly shied down at my feet, as he stepped out of the ring and walked boldly down the isles of the stadium, slipping his shirt on over his broad shoulders.

Declan turned to me, " his fights aren't even fun to watch...they end so quickly." I completely disagreed. Watching Dominic fight was mesmerizing. He fought so smoothly and effortlessly, like it was second nature to him.

"I thought it was pretty cool..." I shyly answered, "though I would have loved to see Dominic get punched in the face more." Declan looked at me and laughed, "Is he really that bad to you?"

"Oh, He despises me...even after I stitched his bullet wound. If it weren't for me his whole arm would have fallen off and he still wants me gone! I don't even know what I did wrong." I boiled with resentment.

"He just doesn't like outsiders." Declan sighed, "Don't take it to heart though, there aren't many people here Dom gets close with." I glanced up at Dominic as he took a seat next to Celeste. He quietly sat down like it was nothing...as if he didn't just hit a guy so hard he blacked out. He was powerful for sure...should I be afraid of him though?

The announcer cleared his throat and held the microphone up to his mouth, "since that last fight went so quickly...I think we have time for one more, don't you think?" He turned to the crowd as everyone cheered. He pulled another slip of paper out of his pocket and fluttered it over his head. The crowd silenced as he quietly unfolded the thin paper and held it up to his eyes to read the name. "Valerie Quinn.", He shouted.

Valerie got up from her seat boldly and strutted down the isles of the stadium with her chest up, carefully swaying her hips to the movement of her steps. The noises of boys cat-calling and whistling at her echoed through the arena. That would bother me so much, but by the sly look in Valerie's eyes, I knew she loved the attention.

Cassian looked at me, "I really hope whoever she fights messes up her pretty little face."
I shook my head and laughed. I did agree though, I didn't want to admit that I'd love to see her get punched in the face.

"Miss Valerie." The announcer held her hand as she hopped up into the ring. "Would you like to pick who you fight, to have it randomly chosen?" Her vile eyes lit up as she hovered her plump rosy lips over the microphone,"I want to pick."

"Alright...and who will you be choosing?" Hehe

"Hmm..." Valerie scratched her chin, "I want to fight..."

She scanned the room with a villainous grin spurred across her lips. Her glassy eyes peered over the hundreds of heads in the area until she stopped when her gaze met mine. She lowered her chin and slanted her defined eyebrows as she looked into my eye and smirked. The arena grew silently impatient, waiting for her answer when finally the name slipped off her tongue.

"...Evelyn Kane."

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

842K 23K 28
Time travel is legal and Ada Blum is looking for love. But what happens when one of her charming bachelors from the past makes his way to the present...