HOSPITALITY

By SirBoring

After Shuichi had been killed during the 53rd killing game, he was informed that everything that had taken pl... More

[001] DEATH ON SIMULATION STREET.
[003] A GIFT; SINCERELY, MAKI.
[004] INDEPENDENCE.
[005] AN INTERVENTION.
[006] BIRDS & LIBRARIES.
[007] LAUNDRY DAY!
[008] A GAME OF UNO.
[009] FAMILY REUNION. (PT, 1.)
[010] FAMILY REUNION. (PT, 2.)
[011] EMOTIONS 101 : LOVE.
[012] IT'S A DATE!
[013] SPLIT PERSONALITY?!
[014] SHOPPING W/ *THE* KOKICHI OUMA.
[015] KAEDE'S SURGERY.
[016] TRICK-OR-TREAT!
[017] COMFORT.
[018] IT'S A PIAN-ASTROPHE!
[019] A STEP OUT OF THE CLOSET.
hi! an update!!

[002] LUMINARY OF THE STARS.

2.1K 96 213
By SirBoring

The rubber wheels clacked against the pristine marble, jolting at Shuichi's nerves as they continued the stroll within the hallway. Doctors and nurses would walk by, clipboards in hand, to stop and observe Shuichi.  Their piercing gazes shifting across his entire body.

Sonia would glance at them, share a smile and greeting, before fastening her pace on the chair. His heart was racing with fear, dreading the moment he had to step into the cafeteria and see who would meet him.

Two doors stood tall above the detective, ominously casting their shadows from above him. The walls lined with white paint, as the light bounced off from the hardened-liquid. Large lights casted from the roof, reflecting off anything they could as Sonia reached for the door, presenting a welcoming-reassuring smile. The marble underneath him elegantly casting his reflection, which he has yet to see clearly.

Shuichi's head perked up at the sound of distinct chatter, as the two doors opened--creaking with an agonizing sound that delayed the moment he had to lay eyes on anyone from before.

His eyes took a moment to adjust, dialting and pulsating at his pupils before his vision began to etch out the figures in the cafeteria slowly.

A shadow illuminated his vision, their hair spiking upward to the sky, a slumped over jacket draped across their arm. They had purple painted against them, confidence practically pumping out of their body.

Kaito Momota.

"Hello Momota-Kun, how has your lunch been?" Sonia greeted, hauling the detective forward despite his dread at high-peak.

The purple-haired astronaut casted a smile, before crossing his arms and tapping his foot across the tiles, "Great! How has your lunch break been going, Dr. Nevermind-Sama?"

Shuichi's cap dangled in front of his eyes, along with the book in case he decided to snatch his writing-kit. His heartbeat pounded through his entire body, vibrating against his chest shakily.

"I haven't had my lunch break yet," Sonia chuckled to herself, before putting a firm-but-welcoming hand on Shuichi's shoulder. "Buuuut, Saihara here finally woke up!"

Kaito looked at the detective, as if his stare burned holes into his skin, ego standing high as he pulled out a cocky grin.

"Sidekick! I missed you, buddy!"

Shuichi kept the cap down, delaying the moment he had to set eyes on the purpled-hair astrologist anytime soon. Guilt panging at his heart like a dagger, knowing he was the reason for this confident astronaut's execution. His best friend died because of him, and the despair was eating away at him.

The blonde-haired doctor let go of the wheelchair, before whispering something into the astronaut's ear. Her voice whistled through the air tauntingly at the detective, as she cupped her hand to avoid it echoing to Shuichi.

Kaito gave an understanding nod, before walking to the front of the wheelchair and kneeling down in front of Shuichi. Sonia stood back supportively, giving the astronaut a thumbs-up and smiling proudly at him. Both of them practically radiated confidence, as Kaito looked back at his covered-face.

"Shuichi," He reached for his hands, bringing down the notebook and cupping the detective's hands in his own. "I don't blame you for my death. It was my fault, not yours.  I'm the one that agreed to Ouma-Kun's plan."

Kaito brought one of his hands to Shuichi's cheek, using his thumb to rub the side of it. His overwhelming shadow of confidence practically gone, replaced with the welcoming aroma of reassurance. Shuichi's two hands held by one of the astronaut's, his other hand pushing against the detective's cheek.

"Don't blame yourself, you weren't responsible for anyone's death. Not yours, not mine, not Akamastu-San's, no one's.  You have to stay hopeful in these situations!"

Sonia gave a soft smile, cupping her hands in front of her and smiling at the two boys. Her head tilted a bit, hair following the movement as she watched the two.

"If you'd like, you two can head back to Saihara's room," Sonia offered, making Kaito lean closer into the detective. "Do you want to, sidekick?"

Shuichi nodded, making the astronaut eagerly stand up and face the doctor. Sonia gave a smile, including a thumbs-up before turning around on her heels to face a different doctor.

Kaito turned his body toward the detective, before staggering behind him and clamping his fists onto the handles of the back. A smile plastered against his features as he halted behind the wheelchair.

"See you later, Dr. Nevermind-Sama!"

☽༓☾

The wheels of the wheelchair scattered across the flooring as the astronaut continued to push Shuichi to his hospital room. Once again, for the second time today, he found himself getting pushed along the narrow hallway of lights. Stares from everyone who passed, which Kaito didn't seem to acknowledge.

Shuichi closed his eyes, tuning out each individual judgmental stare and conversation blooming whilst he was wheeled down the hallway.

Each time that darkness enveloped his vision, flashes of dying coursed through his being. The pain, screams, crying, every inch of his death reminiscent inside his mind. Every nook and cranny he failed to pick up before.

Himiko's desperate cries and screams for Shuichi, her throat collapsing into a raspy wail as she reached out for his hand. Her cheeks swelled into balloon-like circles as she bellowed on the ground.

The feeling of his ribs snapping at every move he made, pushing and scraping against his insides. Blood forcing its way out of his mouth, coating his lungs as his entire body warmed into a fiery sensation of burning. The rock only seemingly getting heavier the more he squirmed for release.

Not to mention the fire spreading up from his leg, igniting against his skin as it melted and scorched around the bone. His clothing ashing into nothing but a pile of dust, the skin exposed to both the heating fire and frigid air.

The moment the glass shard met itself with his head, cracking his skull as the remnant pieces of debris clashed around the inside of his head. His brain moving and plunging around as the grey lump was met with the glass. The ball of nerves bursting into a clump of blood and cells.

Everywhere, every inch of his body had been stimulated with pain. Fire infecting his body, his ribs collapsing in on itself, desperately choking out blood, his skull being shattered and brain being mushed around like old food on a plate.

"Sidekick, are you alright?"

Kaito's voice snapped him out of his trance, Shuichi's eyes bolting open as he grabbed onto the male's shoulders for support.

Shuichi looked around the room, his eyes met with the familiarity of his hospital room. An icy sigh parted from his lips, a breath releasing and heaving itself out of his chest. Kaito had been gazing at the male's face, his broad arms holding onto the paralyzed-detective's forearms. He was kneeling in front of the wheelchair, a sheet of worry placed against his face.

A nod emitted from Shuichi's strained neck, making Kaito shakily release his tense hands from the detective's arms.

"That's good. You were spacing out, and I guess it worried me...Even when I called your name you didn't answer."

Shuichi's hands grazed across the cover of his notebook, before opening the first page and scrambling for the pen in the slit of the book.  He uncapped the top, before pushing down the ink and gliding across the paper.

'I'm sorry.'

Kaito tilted his head, putting his hands on his knees and smiling at Shuichi.  "Hey, don't apologize."

Shuichi stifled his smile, continuing to jab down words onto the paper with his pen.

'I need help getting into bed.  I can't really walk and put myself there.'

"Anything for you, sidekick!"  Kaito stood himself up, before dusting off his shirt and looking back at Shuichi.  He pulled out his hand and threw him a thumbs-up, giving him a cheeky but warming smile.

The astronaut's hands trailed across his arms, before scooting behind his back and wrapping around his shoulder.  His other hand sat itself below his leg, feeling Kaito grip around him tighter.  Shuichi relaxed into his grasp, using his left hand to grab onto his shirt and somewhat stable himself.

He heaved the detective upward, carrying the frail teen in his arms as Kaito stared down at him, watching as his face contorted into a smile.  Kaito had been holding him bridal-style, Shuichi's legs limply hanging over his arm.

"If you ever need to talk, I'm here for you Shuichi.  You're my sidekick, after all."  Kaito's words laced itself into Shuichi's head, a nod releasing from his stiffened-neck.

Kaito carried the detective over to the bed, halting in front of the side as he stared down at Shuichi.  Shuichi felt himself be placed against the mattress, his legs limply placed across the fabric.  Kaito brought his hands down to his feet, before settling Shuichi's legs into a more comfortable position, in which Shuichi was unable to do himself.

Shuichi looked up at Kaito, the astronaut smiling against his features, attempting to hide the crippling worry building in his chest.

"Oh, do you want your notebook?"  Kaito asked, standing himself straight and dusting himself off.  Shuichi could only nod, which Kaito had seemingly picked up.

The astronaut strut himself over to the notebook, bending down and bringing the cover to his chest.  His broad shoulders prompted themselves downward as he turned around and started for the detective.

"I think the others are going to be waking up from the simulation tomorrow.  We could go visit Maki-Roll and Yumeno afterward,"  Kaito suggested.  "Only if you're comfortable with that idea, obviously."

He carefully placed down the book on Shuichi's lap, the pen in the slit clinking against the bendable-metal.  A smile lit up around Kaito's face, as he dragged over a chair to the bedside and sat down.  Shuichi nodded, opening the the notebook and bringing out the pen.

"It's great to see you again, sidekick,"  Kaito smiled warmly, his teeth practically shining from the blaring lights as Shuichi held his pen tighter.

'I missed you, Kaito.  I thought I'd never see you again.'

Kaito's smile faded, his tense shoulders building further as he studied the detective.  In moments, the smile scraped back against the corners of his face, "I missed you too, bud!"

Shuichi scribbled down a few more words, avoiding making any sappy comments.

'Maki missed you, too.'

The frown developed against his face once more, his saddened expression becoming more prominent as he scoot himself closer to Shuichi.

"I missed her too.  I can't wait until she wakes up tomorrow, I just...y'know, I love her,"  Kaito stifled out, his eyes drifting down to the notebook in the detective's hands.  "I didn't want to leave her."

'I know you didn't, Kaito.  It was the simulation's fault.'

Kaito felt a sigh escape from his lips, pulling back the threatening tears.  "I'm just—glad I get to see her one last time."

The two teens heard the metal doorknob clatter around the mechanics and the wooden door heave out of the frame.  It trawled against the marble floor, shadow of a slim-nurse appearing in the doorway.

"Saihara?"  The feminine-voice called out, her red hair bobbing against her shoulder as she wheeled in a large rack of equipment.  

Kaito brought back his confident smile, the red-swelling surrounding the outer and under parts of his eyes.  "He's here."

"Ah, hello Momota.  I'm here to check his vitals,"  She simply said, unravelling a thin-wrapped pump from the basket in the front.  "Dr. Naegi-Sama was searching for you.  He said you have your therapy in a few minutes."

The metal rack stood tall, a few inches smaller than the small-figured nurse.  A screen displaying heart rate, breathing patterns, and blood pressure plastered itself on the green-tinted tablet, as wires and piles of electrical outlets clang to the sides of the basket.  The wheels pursed against the marble as she held out the sphygmomanometer boldly.

"Oh, I'll be on my way, then.  It was nice seeing you, sidekick!  I'll be back soon!"  Kaito threw a wink at the detective, snapping out his finger-guns and slithering himself out of the chair.  He headed for the door, before closing it behind him.

"Nice to meet you Saihara, my name is Mahiru Koizumi, but please address me and Dr. Koizumi,"  The red-haired woman nodded her head, a stern smile pulling at the corners of her lips as if she hadn't smiled in her entire life.  

Shuichi smiled, waving his hand through the air before squinting his eyes and studying the woman.

Mahiru had red, short hair which was cut down to the middle of her neck.  Almost a total bob-cut, but had been grown out a bit more.  Freckles were plastered and thrown onto her face, scattering across her nose and cheeks.  She had olive green eyes, which glimmered dark-yellow in the light, a sea of calm washing and clashing together like watercolors as she stared at the detective intently.  Not to mention the sphygmomanometer pump slung around her arm casually.

Mahiru stiffened smile faltered a bit, dragging the racket of wires and machinery to the bedside as she walked beside it. 

"Do you have any questions about the hospital or simulation at all?  Us doctors are here to make sure you feel safe while staying here and recovering safely after the killing game."  She cupped her hands together happily, the icy-smile being replaced with a calm and warm one.

Shuichi dragged the cap off of the pen, tightening his grip around the hunk of plastic.  He dragged his hand over the notebook, fitting each word into the lined-out lines struck against the frail paper.

'I have many, but I probably can't write them all down.  Is Tsumugi alive like all the others?'

The small-figured nurse practically laughed out loud, holding it in and muffling her soft chuckles. "No, she was just an A.I. designed to be like Junko. Don't worry, she wasn't real."

Shuichi looked at Mahiru, studying her as he let the thoughts thrash around through his head. The cosplayer, Tsumugi, the mastermind, the terrible and evil villian of this messed up story, was an A.I.? Meaning she was basically as fake as that simulation? So every conversation, every word, every evil play she turned against him was just a programmed A.I.? The pain, despair, utterly terrible killings, deaths, executions, everything he went through was programmed by an entire system.

His face flushed furiously, red rushing against his face as his blood practically boiled underneath his skin. Everything he went through was fake. Planned, wanted, synchronized, coded, debated. The trauma he went through was planned, and coded into Tsumugi.

"Saihara, are you alright?"

Shuichi felt himself jolt out of his thoughts, hands clenched together into fists as his knuckles turned into a shade of deepening-white. His top two teeth dug into his bottom lip, stumbling out blood whilst it oozed out of the teeth-marks.

"Do you need some water?" She asked calmly, her cherry scent wafting against his nose as her nurse's-outfit brushed against the side of the bed. He shook his head, a migraine burying itself into the back of his head.

Mahiru rolled her eyes, before digging her hand into the side of her uniform, pulling out a walkie-talkie and bringing it up to her mouth and pressing her finger against a button on the side. "Dr. Koizumi calling in, please bring a cup of water to room 514."

She spoke swiftly, her posture stiffening as she spoke into the contraption. There was a draw of static and a loud beep on the other end, a smile and nod protruding from her head. "The front desk said they'll bring you up some water." She assured softly.

Mahiru looked down at the basket, before digging around at the clump of wires and electrical clots and pulling out a clamp of some kind. It was a slight-yellow tint, as a red light shone from the inside and scan-like boxes were laid and scrunched in the back.

She wrapped the pump around his forearm, grabbing the detective's other hand and clicking the clamp around his pointer-finger. The red light burned around his skin and nail while continuing to bite down on his bottom lip.

A sudden pressure pushed against his arm, pumping air across the cloth of the sphygmomanometer. The machine beeping and buzzing constantly as the red light flickered around his finger.

Mahiru smiled brightly, before pressing a bright-green button placed in the bottom of the tablet-like device. Air from the pump releasing immediately, his coldening arm warming as the blood from his skin brushed back against his arm. The doctor reached for his finger, unhooking the two devices from him.

"...Alrighty, and we're done! Everything seems to be in tip-top shape for you!" Mahiru explained, before craning her head to the door. "Your water should be getting here soon.., I hope me taking your vitals didn't hurt that much."

Shuichi smiled at her concern, reaching for his notebook and pen and placed it on his lap.

'It didn't hurt, don't worry. When is Maki and Yumeno-San waking up tomorrow?"

Mahiru pulled out her clipboard, the paper brushing against the hardened-surface. She pursed her lips together in focus before scanning down the words of the paper, her eyes darting across each word. Her eyes suddenly lit up as she brought her gaze toward Shuichi.

"7AM precisely, which is labelled on my paperwork," The doctor didn't fail to move her intent stare. "Are you wanting to visit them?"

He nodded.

"Alone?" Shuichi shook his head, "With Kaito, right?" Another nod. 

"I can ask the nurses if you can visit tomorrow at 9AM. Does that sound good?"  Shuichi sighed, before nodding again, which seemed to make Mahiru smile.  "That's great.  If you need anything, just press the red button above your bed and your nurse will come."

Shuichi closed his eyes, dropping the notebook on the dresser-side and burying his face into the pillow beneath his head.  The capsule of comfort surrounded his pounding migraine as he felt himself grow wore weary underneath the covers.

Then, once again, he felt the darkness succumb his entire body.  His shaky frame burying beneath the overwhelming vast pit of black.  And once again, all the memories came flooding back into his head, rattling inside his skull as each inch of pain covered his body.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

153K 4.6K 19
⚠️NOTE⚠️: at some point in the story, R*pe is mentioned. Although it's censored, I believe the warning should stay. It was made out to be a joke, and...
21.9K 433 10
Why go simple if COMPLICATED is an option too?!?! Shuichi Saihara is in love with his friend and classmate Kokichi Ouma. Sadly, besides having the cu...
48.5K 1.9K 22
Kokichi Ouma is the leader of one of the most wanted organizations in Tokyo known as D.I.C.E; Shuichi Saihara is a young, but very successful detecti...
836 52 13
After the killing game ended, Shuichi woke up in the hospital. He was relieved to see that all of his friends were alive and they came to visit him...