The Neurologist's Love

By SarahYBooks-

A story about a 24-years-old Muslim Girl living a typical pakistani life as a doctor. She is faced with discr... More

A U T H O R 'S N O T E
P R O L O G U E
C H A P T E R 1
C H A P T E R 2
C H A P T E R 3
C H A P T E R 4
C H A P T E R 5
C H A P T E R 6
C H A P T E R 7
C H A P T E R 8
C H A P T E R 9
C H A P T E R 1 0
C H A P T E R 1 1
C H A P T E R 1 2
C H A P T E R 1 3
C H A P T E R 1 4
C H A P T E R 1 5
C H A P T E R 1 6
C H A P T E R 1 7
C H A P T E R 1 8
C H A P T E R 1 9
C H A P T E R 2 0
C H A P T E R 2 1
C H A P T E R 2 2
C H A P T E R 2 3
C H A P T E R 2 4
C H A P T E R 2 5
C H A P T E R 2 6
C H A P T E R 2 7
C H A P T E R 2 8
C H A P T E R 2 9
C H A P T E R 3 0
C H A P T E R 3 1
C H A P T E R 3 2

C H A P T E R 3 3

340 19 5
By SarahYBooks-

A/N: A very long hefty chapter for you all

Sometimes you get things in your life to turn it upright. I was sick an tired of making this luxurious home into a hospital, sickening room, It was dark and dull. And, i needed some air, or else I was going to suffocate. I hadn't seen the late of day, I think I was going to go mad.

"Wow, what is that smell" Melissa cheers as she walked in the kicthen. I decided to take it upon me to make my favorite dish in the world. Haleem (a pakistani food with chicken and lentins). Her eyes lit to what she say, "wow what is that"?

I laughed at her adorable reaction, "it this desi food called haleem, i loveee it so so so much, don't worry you get some too!" I smiled. Her face all of a sudden went to fear, which only caused me to roll my eyes. "don't worry, if he says anything i'll take care of it, i realized he can't really hurt me you know"

She shrugged her shoulders and started taking the medications needed to my room. Once the food was down, I carried the warm bowl of haleem to my room, excited to just relax and eat.

Melissa and I both sat on my bed engulfing the warm cooked delicious food. "wow, this is awesome" she giggled.

"i know" I smiled.

"so, I found the exit!" she took me by surprise.

Her face didn't look too excited, "i sense a but coming" i mumbled.

"yup, there is a security code and about 4 locks... it's intense" She sighed.

I insisted that she showed me the way. We left the bedroom, and she guided me to her right. among the far tunnels, we entered the one to the far right. The halls were pitch black, as if a cave was about engulf us in. Thankfully, Melissa has brought her flashlight, the beam of light casted over the different doors as we walked through the hallway.

The walk l felt almost a mile, and that too, i am not kidding. Maybe it felt that way because I was ill, or maybe it was just that long. 'Only a psycho would make such 30minute long halls' I had thought. But to capture me he must have been a psycho.

With every step we got closer, the quite we got. But it wasn't necessarily quite. I heard some soft mumbles that echoed down the hallway to us, it must be the people on the other side of the door. That hypothesis proved my right, the light shone on a huge wooden door, just like how Melissa described. There was a security code, and four locks following up. It was as if it was impossible to get through from the side that we were at, but probably really easy to come from their side.

"so is it their home" I whispered to her.

"Yes, it makes sense" she said, "my trips from there place were never far from yours, but this seems it. There is no way his daughter would be driving to your place, or crossing the road"

"hmm makesense, okay maybe we should go, seems like a full house" I whispered.

We both went back that 1 mile walk, feeling exhausted. Melissa consistently was asking if we needed to take breaks, but I, being the stubborn be told her that there was no need. But boy was I in pain. We ended up going back to the room in silence, my mind was too busy figuring out what I could do.

I hadn't seen his daughters in days, especially after our first meet. I was afraid he found out, she was my only hope. I took my last doze of medicine, and it occurred to me how i really had no idea what the heck I was taking. "Melissa, you need to find out what medications these are, as they are clearly keeping me healthy as long as I take them" I said examining the sheer blue bottle.

"I will try my best, I am meeting with the master -

"you know how the he looks?!" I gasped, clearly not letting her finish.

"no, I meant the master's assistant. We communicate through there, maybe i can get a hold of what he giving you through your charts" She smiled.

We talked a bit more, laughing a little. It had been months, or may be a year since I had laughed. I asked melissa the timing it had been, she was quite for a second. That's when i knew for sure it was longer then I expected. "You're 25 now" She sighed.

My heart dropped miles down, my whole body froze at the thought of not seeing my parents for a whole year. The thoughts circulated around me, making me feel dizzy and light headed. I didn't want to cry in-front of her, i didn't want to seem weak. But the truth is I was, and as soon as Melissa left I cried. A lot..

My body felt numb, and i decided to put myself to sleep. I was to depressed to think of anything. Can you imagine, someone being locked up for a year, with no source of contact, no way out. If i didn't have any faith, i'd probably kill myself.

I snoozed out for a long time, only to be awaken with a loud thump noise. My body jerked at the sound, causing me to sit up right. Looking at the clock I saw it was 5. My eyes lit up, knowing that there was only one person I knew that came during that time. Wearing another sweater, i exited my room, finding the library golden light on.

A small smile place on my lips, I was genuinely happy to see someone aside from Melissa. Walking towards the library always cause my heart to palpitate. Although, I knew it was the little girl, I was still scared. I was afraid that I accidentally would bump into the so called master, or somebody that would try to hurt me.

My heart eased as I opened the door seeing her on the sofa reading a book. "Salaam" I smiled, my heart meling as I didn't say salaam to anyone in so long.

"You look so much better!" she said running up to me, "how are you feeling now? did you find a cure?!" she squealed out of excitement.

My heart broke for her, she clearly had high hopes from me. She wanted to someone to help her, and at this point I wanted to her too, and in turn that would help me.

She went off and off about her days at home, with her brother, and her annoying father. I knew this girl was me key, she had answered that I was looking for. But, i clearly did not feel comfortable being here. "hey, want to go to my room?" I smiled at her.

"ohmygod! i would love too!" she replied.

I made her follow back to my room, I needed the sense of security. And, why not talk in a cozy place anyways. We both sat on the bed, I was hesitant asking anything that she might tell her father, but she was looking at me, waiting for me to ask anything.

"do you know what you have?" I asked.

"hmm, no, my father never told me anything. I guess he doesn't want me label myself you know" She laughed, "but I know all his secrets"

"You know, your father isn't really telling me much, I can help you if you help me" I said.

There was an awkward pause between us, I watched her as she fiddled with her fingers, and then tapped her chin with her index fingers. "hmmm" she would go for probably a good minute. "i think i can help" she finally said.

"you father has this phone book -

"oh yes, i always use it to call my friends!"

"so, there is this number and I think this person can help us find a cure" I said to her, it sounded like I was lying. But I had this gut feeling that this number could help me in finding many things. She kept asking me questions like why couldn't i just call it, why didn't I have a phone. I had to explain that I wasn't allowed to have the phone for my parents safety. I kept it very short, she didn't need to know the entire details.

"My father is going for a vacation tomorrow, i can help you get out to get the cure" she smiled, "oh and i can give you a phone too!".

I was in shock hearing what she had to say, which only caused me to make her repeat it to me a million times. I was here for a year, and hadn't seen the light of day! I could not believe that tomorrow I was about to step out. It was a bittersweet moment, more sweeter then bitter. All I knew was I was going to miss Melissa a lot. She clearly helped me get through this. That is when I decided she was going to come with me.

before Asalah left, she gave me a little flower only making my heart melt.

How could such a sensible girl be brought up like this, it was crazy to think about. I had prayed fajr, and had fallen asleep. It was so late when I woke up by Melissa shaking my body. "get up" her voice was faint. "medication dear" she said again.

I groaned in annoyance, I was tired of sleeping late and waking up early. I remember i needed a day off. However, last night thoughts wouldn't escape my head, it had made me farm a small smile on my lips which only confused Melissa. "you seem quite happy, good dream?" she said.

"more like good reality" I whispered back, snuggling my face into the cozy pillow. My body kept shifting back and forth, finding the comfiest place to relax. "we have found our freedom" my came out quite groggy. I got up stretching and looked at her with a smile.

She looked at me with her eyebrows furrowed and up, confused. "What"? she laughed smiling.

"Asalah, his daughter is letting us leave tomorrow!" I squealed. Melissa's face went through the range of emotions, excitement, fear, happy, confused. It was actually hilarious.

"how?!" she said, and that's when she gasped, "he's going out of the city today, that's why!"

I nodded my head, pursed lips, I ran to my closet taking the only clothes I really had. The moments of the outside I had been waiting for was finally here. Melissa quickly had to step out, and I was in this room for the last time. Scanning the room, I could sense it becoming dull. 'It obviously was going to miss me', I laughed at that thought. Every day I was doing more research, and more, but nothing really helped me.

I used to get messages from him every now and then about what were my updates. And pretty much as usual I used to say nothing.

I had brushed all of my thoughts away, and started to pack what I had. I cleaned up what ever was left over the room, it was the least I could do for Melissa. Things felt empty now, the room was still, I gave it one last look before shutting it behind me. A huge breath I was unknowingly holding in escaped my lips, I was exhausted. My heart was racing as I sat there waiting form Melissa and Asalah to pop up anytime soon. The time felt like it was frozen, it felt like forever before I saw the two walking towards me.

"I tried" asalah frowned.

Her phrase only spiked me in the heart, I had no clue why she said that. Afraid it was all over, she proved me wrong only to clarify that she did try finding the book, but she did end up finding this old school black flip phone. Flipping it open, I saw the M logo shining against the blue screen, and keyboards lighting up. The battery was low, and I had to keep it safe before anything happened.

"will i see you again" Asalah said.

I looked at her, I didn't want to see her again as that only meant me being locked up by her father, but at the same time I didn't not want to see her. "In sha allah" I said, it meant if god wills.

Giving her a small hug, she went off back to her place. I looked at Melissa nervous as heck, my anxiety was shooting off the roof. It was insane, even she had the worriest look on her face. Her eyes round and glossy then ever, and her lips tightened up. "We can go to my place" she smiled at me.

I nodded my head, words were unable to escape my mouth. I was pretty much speechless. I was locked up for a whole year, and it certainly felt like more. The thought of seeing my family circulated in my mind. I had probably thought of 10 scenarios but that time. How they would react, how we would all cry. The craziest thing of all, I had no idea where I was.

My mind froze in shock, as my body was met with warm seeping light of the sun, causing me too squint my eyes. The fresh air of nature flourished around me, making me feel at home again. It felt like the earth was hugging me for the first time, every step of outside met with noises of birds, causing my eyes to brim in tears. It had been ages, the horizon so blue peering from the nature trees surrounding where we were. 'subhanallah' I sighed, feeling immense gratitude for being out here. My ankles meeting with the wet grass, only to give me the best feeling of freedom ever.

"are you alright" Melissa's hands squeezed my arm, bringing me back to reality. I looked at her with a small smile and nodded my eyes.

"just in shock" I laughed, and ended up sobbing, even though that was probably the most embarrassing thing. "thank you for everything I sniffed" as we made our way out of this beautiful forest.

"it wasn't me Aiylah, it was you, hadn't you showed me the strength of our rights, I would have still been where I was square one" She also started to tear up. "but now we can go to by home" she smiled.

The moments of us leaving the area consisted of talking about the beauty of nature, oh how the trees were tall and gave us shade among the beaming hot son, and how it wasn't cold not hot but the thickening of water scent flourished everywhere around us. The birds played with each-other above us, singing their rhythms, and the trees hummed swaying back and forth. Our travel was not too long until we came upon a huge gate. "are you ready" she smiled.

"Yes!" I cheered. She had the keys to unlock the gate, once we were out from that premises, we ran in freedom. However, that flopped for me I got tired really easily.

"You know how you're sick, what is your plans?" She said to me.

"the phone that Asalah gave to me has the number of the individual that kept mailing the master, this means that he has to know about what he is up to, who emails someone that many letters addictively? We will call that person and see how they can help us" I said, firming my own thoughts and trying not to second guess anything that I was planning to do.

As we neared the end of the forest, the noises of cars driving got louder and louder. Flashbacks of my home town and driving to the hospital can rushing through my mind. The nostalgia feel got my heart skipping a beat. I really wanted to go back to my normal life, and that patience was getting the best of me. Holding on to one of the branches, and pushing up so we can exit was probably one of the hardest things i had done, it took the whole strength out of me. "there we go" melissa said, and she held my hands to get me out of the last bit of the forest.

I almost jerked back at the sight of a car driving right past us. We were on the sidewalk near a road, it didn't look familiar at all. "my dear, we are in America" she said. My eyes widened, looking at the American roads, and structure of the houses.

That's when I facepalmed myself, I should have known by Melissa's accent, I do not know why I didn't catch that on earlier, but at the time I was just so confident that I was still in Australia. "We are going to have to take the subway back to my place, come follow me" she said, rolling the suitcase against the warm white pavement. The sun was no longer hidden by the trees, rather shining straight onto my back. I was feeling hot as I could be, especially not having worn my hijab in such a long time.

Melissa noted my uncomfortable stress, asking if I was okay. I smiled and nodded my head, not about to tell some white woman why I was struggling with my hijab so much right now. We both just waited at the stop sign for the bus to come, both quite. The only noises were people talking, and cars riding. My eyes diverted from my slippers to the massive forest infront of me, giving me chills. I couldn't believe that I was in there the whole time, locked up. No windows, no light, just being tortured to sickness. Now, I wasn't there anymore. The forest that was giving me chills, was blocked by the bus that came our way. "come with me" she said, I followed behind her. My body started to shiver, I felt uncomfortable, people were squeezing out and running, and we were trying to squeeze in. I wanted to cry then, but I didn't know what for.

The bus driver waved us good morning and we went inside, everyone was laughing, talking amongst themselves. There accents all so clean and white. "did you get medication" I remembered.

"yes, but it will only suffice for 2 days" she sighed, "it was hard, they wouldn't let me get it"

"it's okay" I smiled. My eyes just planted on the floor, as we both sat on the moving bus. She did tell her her house was far, so once 15 minutes had passed, i thought it was about time that I had made the call. I shuffled through the shoulder bag that was carrying, my hands running through random stuff, finally coming in touch with the cold metal square, the phone.

I opened it up and started going through the list, there was so many numbers I couldn't identify why. I took out the paper with the number and just dialed it, and that's when the name came up Uncle. I furrowed my eyebrows confused. 'uncle? what uncle would be connected to me?'

"who is it?" Melissa asked.

"it's his uncle" I said, she looked at me as confused as I was.

The phone was ringing on the other end, I was really nervous. I didn't know what to expect, it took longer then expected for the uncle to pick up. We had already gotten off the stop.

"hello" a deep masculine voice echoed from the phone. His tone was cold, it was almost as if he was expecting the call. "you finally are giving in" he said, i could feel the smile from the phone. It was very sarcastic too.

My hands started to shake from nervousness, I was terrified to talk. But I had to. "This is not he but it's the girl who the man has locked up."

There was long pause after I said that, I looked at Melissa fearing my life as we both walked towards her car. As soon as I sat in he spoke, "aiylah?! is this you" his voice all of a sudden soft and worried.

"h-how do you know who I am" I stuttered. My heart was running a marathon, it was frightening. There was connections that I didn't know about. He knew who I was and I was genuinely worried.

"Yes, I know you very well, and there is a long story to this, I can't believe he let you out, looks like i finally convinced him to let you go" I heard a sigh of relief from him.

"um he didn't let me go, I escaped, but that's besides the point I -

"you escaped, Aiylah he is a dangerous man, I was constantly sending him messages and emails to let you go, you will not give what he wants! It wasn't worth it anymore, where are you, let me take you home" He rambled.

I had stopped talking for a couple of seconds, I was confused out of my mind. I didn't know what to do. I was pretty much-whispering everything to Melissa, she was even more confused then I was. "something isn't sitting well with me" she whispered. I nodded my head, still confused on what to respond back, I could hear the man's voice calling through the phone. "ask him how he knows you" she whispered.

gulping my dry throat, I asked, "you didn't really answer my question, how do you know me"

My heart raced against my ribcage, and I could feel my face burning up. I was so close to having an anxiety attack, and with the illness I had, it wasn't making it any better. I convinced him to tell me again, he knew something that could allow me to connect the dot.

"you may need to have a seat, it's a long story" he said.

About this time we had entered Melissa's home. A sweet vanilla lavender scent welcomed us inside. And so he started telling me the story. "I knew your father very well, we were like brothers, we did almost everything together, along with my blood brother. The guy who captured you, his father. We all decided to build this empire together, a place where we make inventions, and cures. And, your father did just that. He made a cure for this very tricky virus, we was going to go further with it, start clinical trials, release research papers, but my own brother was pretty mad at his achievement. He knew that once your fathers invention goes out, he was going to be a multi-billionaire, he wanted to be so involved that he injected himself with that virus. Unfortunately your dad was being stubborn like any of us, and wouldn't give him what he wanted, I was stuck in the middle, in fact we all assumed my brother was joking. But he wasn't, he fell ill really fast, but your dad had left without visiting us, and my brother died. Now his own son is about to get revenge, and steal your fathers work."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25K 1.3K 30
"This is your fiancé and his family. I thought you knew they were coming?" Knew they were coming? I didn't even know I was engaged, I'm sixteen! Aq...
2.1K 105 13
It is believed that destiny plays an important role in bringing two people together 🍃 whether they're miles away from each other if they're meant to...
163K 9.3K 40
"Allah guides whom He wills to the straight path." (Al Baqarah | 213) Aasiya is the girl who has it all. At least that's what everyone tells her. So...
6.7K 508 26
Her only sorrow was that she lived in a fairytale in this reality of now. She craved for a life what was called 'simple', but the world was way too c...