Marcus Harrison's Paradise

By symhere

BOOK TWO OF HARRISON SERIES. Charlotte McGill is sublimely good with children. She totally adores Kathie, Mar... More

Jobless
Chocolate Cupcakes
Do You Need A Nanny?
An Uninvited Guest
Left Or Right?
A Kiss Of Farewell
Ignoring Is An Art
The VIPs
Does The Offer Still Stand?
Emails
Lunch
First Day At Work
First Day At Work (Part II)
First Mistake
Overthinking
Meeting The New Harrison
Dinner With The Boss
Bothered
I Trust You
New Plans
Sick Boss-man
A New Feeling
Troubled Sunday
A Little Secret
That's Better
A Word Called 'Love'
Flashbacks
Welcome Party
I Can Do It, You Should Go
Trying To Tell Him Something
Happy Birthday, Kathie!
Don't Leave
Rollercoaster of Life
Fired
The Only Friend And Family
Not Him
I See You
Not Just You
Forgiveness
Hard To Be A Harrison
Mackie
Hangover
Scared
Monster
Meeting The Father
Sorry
Revenge
Promise
Things You Don't Know About Me
Traitor
Don't Go
Epilogue (The End)
Charlie's Utopia

No One New

10.7K 383 16
By symhere

Someone broke into my apartment – when I heard that I couldn't process for a few seconds. I was left stunned – this messed up game is getting dangerous day by day. I am tangled in this mess and no matter how hard I try I will only become a more vivid part of it. Silas asked me to stay at home with Kathie and Elizabeth but, I declined. How can I stay here knowing that someone broke into my home? I was going with them whether they like it or not.

Silas tried to stop me – he told me how dangerous could it be but, Marcus was silent – too silent. He wasn't reacting or saying anything. When I forced Silas to take me with them – Marcus only nodded his head before hastily walking into the house. I stared at the place where Marcus was standing just a few seconds ago.

"Change into dry clothes, Charlotte," Silas said to me. I twirled to look at Silas – he didn't look pleased with the fact that I was coming with them but, I don't care – I was going and that was it. I only nodded and slowly made my way in the house – leaving Silas alone in the heavy rain.

I shivered as I entered the room. I don't know if I was because of the cold or because I was scared. Just a month ago – I was living a typical boring life and now within few weeks I was accused of stealing, got fired, someone has been stalking me, someone shoots the security guard outside my apartment and now this – someone broke in my home. I slide down on the floor and closed my eyes tightly – why is this happening to me? What have I done to anyone for receiving such threatening treatment?

I opened my eyes to remember that it was all happening because they are after Marcus – they want to hurt him and the only way to hurt him is to hurt the people that are close to him – who are precious to him. A fat drop of tear fell off my eyes as I closed them tightly. I let out a sob as I felt unassisted.

I was drowning in my misery when the door of the room opened. I sniffed and hurriedly wipe off the tears off my face and stood up on my feet. I turned around to see Marcus standing at the door frame – still in his wetsuit. I frowned as he stepped into the room, "You need to leave." He stated.

"What?" I asked him.

He gulped, "You need to leave. I don't want you here. I will pay for your tickets and residency. Buy a ticket to wherever you want to go in the world and just – leave. Go somewhere else and live your life. You need to get away from me." He said without even looking at me.

I was quiet for a few seconds. I was quietly observing the situation – at first, I was confused but, now I was getting it all. "And who gave you the authority to tell me to leave?" I asked as I narrowed my eyes.

He finally lifted his head and stared right into my eyes, "Charlotte, you don't understand – it is all getting dangerous day after day. I know who is behind all this and he is not a harmless person. He will destroy you to harm me and I swear Charlotte, I won't let that happen so, just listen to me once and stay away from me." He said.

"Oh? What about your daughter, Marcus? Will you send her away to keep her safe as well?" I asked him as I folded my arms over my chest.

His shoulders loosen as he bowed his head. He sighed and rubbed his eyes, "Yes." He said lowly. "If it is about her security then yes – I will send her away as well – away from me where she can live a normal life – a happy life because I know that neither she nor you can ever be happy with me." He replied half-heartedly.

His words were like a blow to my guts. My hands fell by my side as I looked at the vulnerable and unassisted man – he was not the Marcus I know – he was not the man I fell for. This man was losing hope – this man accepted his defeat. I sniggered as a tear fell from my eye, "You have no idea how wrong you are." I said to him.

He lifted his eyes to looked at me, "I don't know about myself." I shrugged, "But, I know that you will always be the best man in Kathryn's life. She is honored to have a father like you who loves her unconditionally – you don't know how many people would do anything to be at Kathie's place – and you want to take that away from her? Her mother was taken away from her but, instead, she was gifted with a father like you, Marcus. You are wrong about everything you said. You are wrong." I said to him as I stepped a little closer to him. "And a man like you don't give up easily," I said softly.

I put my hand on the unshaved jaws of his. He lifted his head to look at me, "This is all too dangerous, Charlotte and I are too tired." He whispered. "I am not as strong as you think. I am not." He added.

I shrugged lightly, "That's what you think. I have a completely different perspective." I said. "I am not leaving – and now that I am into this as much as you are so, let's fight this together because alone no one ever survives," I told him.

The next thing that happened was unexpected for me. Marcus hugged me. He embraced me in a tight hug. I was too stunned to react immediately but, soon I wrapped my arms around his waist and rested my head on his wet clothed chest. I don't know how long we stayed like that – it felt like a moment but, we had to pull away as we heard someone clearing their throat. We both looked at the door frame to see Ben and Silas standing. Silas raised his brow while Ben was standing behind him with a smirk on his face. I mashed my lips and looked away from them as my cheek burned.

"Seriously guys, remember someone broke into Charlie's apartment? We have to be there, remember?" Silas questioned sarcastically.

"Uh – yes, I will go change. I will be downstairs in a minute." Marcus said before hurriedly walking out of the room but, not before glancing at me.

"Sorry, we ruined your moment," Ben said as he tried to suppress his smile.

I rolled my eyes and sighed, "I will change too." I said slowly. Silas nodded before he and Ben walked away. I closed the door and changed my clothes.

During the whole ride to my apartment, my hands were shaking. Ben, Marcus and I were riding in the same car while Silas and Owen were riding in another. The Harrisons also brought few guards with them – just in case if someone is still in my apartment or nearby. I told Maria about it and she said that she was coming to my apartment but, Silas asked her not to do so, she said that she will be waiting for us at Silas's place.

As the car stopped in front of my apartment – my heartbeat fastened. Never in my whole life have I been so scared to be at my own house. I rubbed my hands together and stared at the building from the back seat. Marcus – who was driving twirled around to look at me, "Are you okay?" he asked.

I averted my gaze to him, "Yes." I nodded. He kept looking at me for a few seconds before turning back around – he knew I wasn't okay. I was far from okay.

"I will see if it is all clear," Ben said and stepped out of the car. Silas and Owen's car stopped right beside us – following the car from which two armed men emerged. I gulped as I saw their guns.

"Be careful," Marcus warned him. Ben looked at his cousin and nodded his head before walking towards the building with two of the guards.

"Don't you think that we should inform the police?" I asked Marcus as I saw Ben vanishing in the building.

"We can't," he answered. "Joseph might be involved in it and it doesn't take long to spread the news among the others – we can't risk it and also if we involve the police in it – Diego might act even harsher. I have done it once and I am not doing it twice." He said. "It is too dangerous," Marcus added.

I didn't press him to inform the police either. He is right – I remember Silas telling that Diego has linked with the mafia and if he will know that the police have been involved – God forbid he might seriously hurt someone. We both were sitting quietly in the car when we saw Ben coming out of the building. He signaled us to come out. Marcus opened his door, "It is clear – come on, let's go." He said. I opened my door and stepped out of the car.

As we walked towards my apartment – I felt weird sensations in my stomach. I was very scared but, I tried not to display how I feel. I felt like my heart would come out of my mouth as he climbed each stair. Marcus was moving in front of us while Silas and Owen were behind us. Marcus stopped at the last stair and stared ahead. I frowned and stepped beside him to see the door of my apartment open.

I slowly made my way to the door to see that it was broken from where the knob is. I gulped and lightly brushed my hands over the wooden door. I lightly push it to see Ben standing at the center on my apartment with hands resting over his hip. He was inspecting around. I took a deep breath and entered the apartment to see that the lounge was badly trashed. I gasped as I saw the couch and the table was upside down. The television was broken and the cushions were torn in half. My lips wobbled as I saw my kitchen was also not in the best condition. My favorite crockery was broken into the pieces – lying on the floor. The cabinets were wide open and all the things that were in them were now on the floor.

I felt a hand on the shoulder, "Charlie, are you all right?" I heard Owen asking me but, I didn't reply.

I quietly made my way to the bedroom to see it trashed as well. The mattress was lying on the floor, all my clothes were out of the cupboard – lying on the floor as well, the wooden door of my cupboard was broken into half and the mirror of the dressing-table was broken into pieces.

I put my hand on my mouth to suppress the sob. I worked so hard to make my home. I spent days of working day and night to buy things for my apartment and someone just took a day to ruin it all. All I once had was now gone – all the things that I owned are long gone. I twirled around to look at the door to see Marcus standing there with a concerned look on his face.

I stretched both of my hands out to point towards the trashed room, "It's all gone, Marcus." I said as my voice wobbled. "How can someone do this me? Why is it all happening?" I asked him.

"Charlotte." He said softly and walked towards me. "Charlotte, I am sorry. This is all happening because of me." He said softly and put his arm around my shoulder. I just shook my head but, didn't utter a word.

After a few seconds – Marcus withdrew his arm and started inspecting my room when Ben walked in. He glanced around the room and then averted his gaze to me – all I see was the pity. "I am sorry this all happened to you, Charlie. You don't deserve it." Ben said. I glanced towards Marcus who was quietly looking at both of us. I averted my gaze to Ben and simply nodded my head.

"Marcus, the neighbors told me that they heard some sounds coming out of the apartment in the middle of the night but, they thought it was Charlie because she something moves her furniture at night," Silas said as soon as he came in.

I rolled my eyes. It must be Mr. Kahn – he always complains that I move my furniture a lot at night but, that old man doesn't get it that it isn't me – it the person living beside me, Sammy. Everyone looked at me, "It must be Mr. Kahn – he always says that I make a lot of noises at night but, it isn't true – it is my other neighbor, Sammy that does that." I explained.

As we all inspected the apartment for more than two hours – I realized that none of my things were missing – damaged but, not missing. Then why did someone broke into my house if they didn't want anything? "Are you sure nothing is missing, Charlotte?" Owen asked me the second time.

I shook my head, "No, Mr. Harrison. Nothing is missing." I replied.

"Then why did someone broke into her apartment?" Ben questioned. "Did they want to warm or threat her?" he suggested.

Owen sighed, "Maybe." He replied before turning towards me, "Charlie my child, I am sorry this all happened. I promise I will make this place as it was before." Mr. Harrison said.

"Dad, I think we should go now. I have asked the guards to increase the security of this place and also, I asked Michael to look at the CCTV camera footage of the building and around – I am sure we will get something." Marcus said. Owen simply nodded before walking out of the apartment but, not before patting my shoulder. Ben and Silas followed Mr. Harrison out and left me and Marcus alone in the apartment.

I sighed sorrowfully as I gave my apartment the last glance. It breaks my heart to see it like this. As I was looking around I felt a hand brushing my hand. I look down to see Marcus's hand holding mine. I lifted my gaze to look at him. I offered him a small smile and tightened the grip of my hand over his. "Let's go." He said softly. I only nodded my head and we both exit the apartment with hands in hands.

When reached the gate of the building – everyone was already waiting for us. Silas was sitting in the car and Owen was getting in while Ben was saying something to him. Marcus opened the car door with a remote and signaled me to get in. I sighed and nodded my head. But, just as I opened the door of the car – another black SUV ran towards us and stopped right beside me. I heard something colliding with the car the door and gasped when I saw a bullet hole just near my hand.

"Charlie get down!!" I heard Silas yelled out but, I was too stunned to react. I heard someone running towards me and in a matter of seconds, I was on the ground with someone lying over me. I looked with widened eyes to see Marcus lying to me – he was shielding me from the bullets.

The door of the SUV opened and a man stepped out of the car. He kicked Marcus in the stomach with his booted foot and tried to move from over me. But, Marcus was holding me tightly. I closed my eyes and groaned as I felt a blow to my stomach as well. "Charlotte!" I heard Marcus's pained voice. He was holding me tightly but, the man that was kicking him was much stronger as he successfully removed Marcus from over me.

I panicked and turned around to face the man to see a huge gun resting on my forehead. I choked on my breath and stared at the gun with widened eyes. But, that wasn't the biggest shock for me. The biggest shock was the man that was standing right above me – holding a gun over my head. His long beard and white hair made him look much different. The man gaped and lowered his gun as he saw me lying in front of him. He opened and closed his mouth but, could utter a word.

Stunned, shocked, astound, startled, stupefy – all these words couldn't describe how I felt. At that moment I lost the ability to think, to speak, to move, to react. I was numbed. "Charlie." The man whispered as he dropped his gun on the ground.

"Dad?" I whispered back as tears keep falling from my eyes.

"You idiot! What are you doing?!! Let's go!" A man from the car yelled as the guards started to open fire at the SUV. My father or the man that used to be my father, the man that I thought was dead kept staring at me with wide-open eyes. A hand came out of the car and it pulled my father in. He trembled but gained his balance and quickly sat back in the car but, his eyes never left mine. He kept looking at me and I kept looking at him till the door of the car was closed and it speedily drove away – leaving me to stunned to do anything.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95.2K 7.4K 43
Kid Shelly loves working with children. Perhaps it's because of her odd name, but she's always wanted to teach children and show them the love of Jes...
2M 72.9K 56
Justin Drake Bass; a famous CEO. He was every woman's dream and every man's idol. At the young age of eighteen, he took over his family business, bec...
1.1M 40.4K 72
*** COMPLETED *** " You can't do this...Matt...We shouldn't -" I struggled to breathe with how close we were. Both his hands were on my sides, trappi...
79.6K 3.1K 27
Anne McClure was a very bubbly, lively and clumsy girl, until she lost the only guy she had ever loved and her 8 year old sister in a car accident. S...