Marcus Harrison's Paradise

By symhere

BOOK TWO OF HARRISON SERIES. Charlotte McGill is sublimely good with children. She totally adores Kathie, Mar... More

Jobless
Chocolate Cupcakes
Do You Need A Nanny?
An Uninvited Guest
Left Or Right?
A Kiss Of Farewell
Ignoring Is An Art
The VIPs
Does The Offer Still Stand?
Emails
Lunch
First Day At Work
First Day At Work (Part II)
First Mistake
Overthinking
Meeting The New Harrison
Dinner With The Boss
Bothered
I Trust You
New Plans
Sick Boss-man
A New Feeling
Troubled Sunday
A Little Secret
That's Better
A Word Called 'Love'
Flashbacks
Welcome Party
I Can Do It, You Should Go
Trying To Tell Him Something
Happy Birthday, Kathie!
Don't Leave
Rollercoaster of Life
Fired
The Only Friend And Family
Not Him
Not Just You
Forgiveness
Hard To Be A Harrison
Mackie
Hangover
No One New
Scared
Monster
Meeting The Father
Sorry
Revenge
Promise
Things You Don't Know About Me
Traitor
Don't Go
Epilogue (The End)
Charlie's Utopia

I See You

11.7K 422 8
By symhere

"What are doing here and where is Joe?" I asked him.

The grin slowly fell off his face, "I don't know." He said after a small pause.

I frowned, "What does that mean?" I asked him.

He exhaled loudly before putting his sunglasses in his jacket's pocket, "He went out last night and didn't come back home." Ben replied.

"What?" I asked bewilderedly.

Ben looked at me for a few moments, "I don't know where he is. He also left his phone at home." He paused and mashed his lips together, "I also know that you didn't steal the file from Marcus – Joe did." He said without looking at me.

I opened my mouth and then closed it – no words were escaping my mouth. I never thought that Ben would say that. "You – you believe me?" I asked him confusingly.

He sighed and nodded his head, "Since I heard my brother talking on the phone with someone – telling them that he has the file and now he wants double money – yeah – yeah, I believe you." He answered.

I knitted my brows – it was all too confusing for me, "What?"

He rubbed his eyes with his fingers before exhaling loudly, "Listen, can we – can we talk somewhere else?" he said while looking around the park. "I know a café – where it is much – quieter." He said while looking at the running and screaming children.

I frowned and looked around to see many children screaming and playing around. I sighed – I wasn't sure if I should trust him. He never gave me a positive vibes. What if he kidnaps me or blames me for something else or use me just like Joe did? But, at the same time – he is the only Harrison that says that he believes me and he could be the one that can help me prove my innocence – but, what if it's all a trap? What if he and Joe are the team? I was going through a mental war when I heard him clearing his throat.

"I see that you are confused. I get it – I am not the most trustworthy person but, just this time – trust me just this time, okay? I swear I won't hurt you. We will just go to a café and talk – that's it." He said.

I looked at him and twisted my lips – I have made many stupid decisions in my life – it won't matter if I will make one more, I thought. I nodded my head, "Okay."

He offered me a tight smile, "Thank you, let's go then." He said.

We both walked out of the park. I halted on my way while Ben kept walking towards a Mercedes car – parked just in front of the park's entrance. When Ben realized that I wasn't walking beside him – he twirled around, "What happened?" he asked.

I frowned, "Can't we – can't we walk?" I asked him hesitantly. I didn't want to sit in his car – God knows where he takes me.

He walked nearer to me, "Listen, Charlotte, we don't have time to waste on walking. The café is almost fifteen minutes' walk away. I have something very important to discuss with you. So, either sit in the car and come with me or use public transport – I will give you the address to the café." He said in a breath.

I bit my lip and stared at him as he raised his brow – waiting for my answer. I looked at his car and then towards the bus-stop which was just a few steps away from where we were standing. I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath, "Fine, let's go." I said while walking towards his parked car. I just hope I won't regret my decision.

During the whole ride to the café – my hands were sweaty, my heartbeat was irregular and I was beyond nervous. I was thinking about the idea of jumping off the car if I feel anything suspicious also I had my cellphone clutched in my hand – just in case if I have to make an emergency call. You see, Ben doesn't seem like a guy who could be trusted – especially after many times he made me realize how much he doesn't like me. It was weird to trust someone I barely know. After ten minutes – the car finally halted in front of a small café.

"For the love of God, woman – just breathe! It looks like you are about to pass out." Ben said while pulling the hand-break.

I gulped and glanced at him before unbuckling the seatbelt and stepping out of the car. The fresh air on my sweaty face felt good. I took a deep breath to calm my nerves. Thankfully, I was already feeling better. I looked at Ben who was standing at the other side of the car with his hands in his pockets – waiting for me.

"Shall we?" he asked. I only nodded wordlessly and followed him in the café.

The café was small with just a few people sitting around – enjoying breakfast. An elderly lady walked towards us and hugged Ben. Ben smiled and kissed her cheek, "How are you, Martha?" he asked the lady. It was weird seeing him smiling.

The lady grinned, "Oh, I am good. Where have you been? I haven't seen you or Joe for months." She said.

Ben's smile flattered, "Yeah – we just have been busy with work." He answered.

Martha was about to say something when her wrinkly eyes met mine, "Oh hello dear." She greeted and glanced at Ben, "And who is this beautiful girl?" she asked me.

"Uh – I am –" I glanced at Ben who was looking at me as well, "I am Ben's – friend." I lied. "Charlie – my name is Charlie." I introduced myself to her.

She chuckled and shook hand with me, "It's nice to meet you, Charlie." She said.

I smiled, "Likewise." I said.

"Oh – come on, kids. Have a seat." She said while waving towards the table for two. "Would you two like something to eat or drink?" she asked.

"I will have espresso," Ben said and then looked at me. "Would you like something?" he asked me.

"Just water," I said to Martha.

Martha smile and asked a young waitress to bring us our order before walking away. I looked around as I sat on the wooden chair. Ben sat as well and put his cellphone and car keys on the table. I sighed and looked at him while placing my hands on my lap, "So? Are you going to tell me what you wanted to discuss with me?" I asked him.

He placed his hands on the table and sighed, "Yes." He said. "After – after the file was gone from Marcus's office – Joe was acting very suspicious. He never talked on the phone in front of me or anyone else and he would look nervous after talking on the phone with someone. He would be gone for hours and he would come back home late. He wouldn't talk to anyone properly. First I thought it was because – because he was interested in you and you – you stole the file and then tried to blame him. I thought he was disappointed." He paused. I didn't say anything and quietly listened to him, "Yesterday morning, his phone rang and like every other time – he slipped off to attend the call – only, I followed him to see what was he up to and that's – that's when I heard him talking to someone on the phone. He was telling him that he has the file and he won't hand it over to them until they double the prize." He said.

I frowned, "Who – who are they?" I asked.

He shook his head lightly, "I don't know." He answered. "Last night he looked freaked out – I asked him where he was going but, he didn't answer me. He just sat in his car and drove away." He added.

I was quiet for a few seconds, "Why – why didn't you tell Marcus and Silas about this? Why are you telling me?" I asked.

He glanced at me, "Because I am not sure if you are with him in this. I am not sure if you got that file for him." He said.

I leaned back and narrowed my eyes, "Really?" I asked. "I can't believe you – here, I thought you believed me." I waved my hand in the air. "Tell me, Ben, if I was working for him – why would I confront him? And I am not stupid enough to commit such crime when I know that cameras are watching me. You have to believe me, I am not a part of this – Joe tricked me." I added.

He leaned back in his chair and made a steeple of his finger. He nodded his head, "Last night when I talked to you – pretending to be Joe. I thought you wanted to talk about the file with him. I thought that I will meet you – pretending to my brother and you will spill the beans – not knowing that I am Ben but, I was wrong." He said. He leaned in and placed his elbows on the table, "There is more." He added.

I knitted my brows, "What?" I asked him.

"Someone's watching you." He said.

I just stared at him bewilderedly – I didn't know what he was talking about. He pressed his lips together and took an envelope out of his jacket's pocket. The envelope was torn open from the above and there was 'I am watching her' written over it with a bright red marker. I gulped and glanced at Ben. He pointed out the envelope with his eyes, "Open it." He said.

With shaky hands, I did what he said. I opened the envelope to be shocked. There were about twenty plus pictures of me in the envelope. There was a picture of me sitting in the car with Marcus, there was a picture of me buying the grocery, there was a picture of me in the mall, there was another one in which I was walking on the pavement and also, a picture of me standing in my window with a cup of coffee in my hand. But, the picture that nearly stopped my heart was where I was in the park with Kathie. There were numerous pictures of Kathie and I was playing in the park. I gasped and looked at Ben with fear in my eyes – some were watching me all along.

"What is this?" I asked him in a whisper.

He shook his head, "I don't know but, I found these in Joe's room. Someone sent it to him – someone was trying the tell him that they have their eyes on you." He said.

I thought it was just a matter of stealing a file but, unfortunately – it is more complicated than I thought.

"What – what am I going to do?" I shuttered. I have never been more scared in my life.

Ben looked at me, "We have to tell Silas and Marcus about this and – you – have to be more careful." He said.

I didn't say a word after that. Ben offered to drop me off at my apartment – honestly, I was afraid to go back to my place. If Maria wasn't there – I wouldn't have gone there. I just keep looking around – trying to see if someone is looking at me right now – if someone was following me. I was scared – no, I was petrified. I never knew that working for the Harrisons would be so – dangerous. I was having a normal life before all this – yes, the pay was less – yes, I was struggling to pay the bills but, at least I was safe. Ben kept glancing at me during the whole ride – but, didn't say anything – which was good because I was in the least mood to talk about anything right now.

When Ben stopped the car in front of my apartment – I felt like throwing up. I was scared to walk to my apartment alone. Knowing that someone could be watching me was scary. I took a deep breath and opened the car door. "Th-thank you for dropping me home," I said to him. My voice was a little shaky.

"I will talk to Marcus and Silas. You should stay in your apartment and don't open the door just for anyone." He said to me. I only nodded my head and stepped off the car. I slowly made my way towards the building while looking around. I twirled my head to see Ben wait in the car. I have never been more thankful to anyone that I was of Ben right now. The guy had the decency to wait for me to get into my apartment before he leaves.

I took in a deep breath and hastily made my way to my apartment. I exhale in relief when I reached my apartment's door. I was already sweating and I could feel my heart in my throat. I rang the doorbell and stepped closer to the door – when I felt like I stepped over something. I frowned and look down to see an envelope lying on the floor with 'I see you' written over it with black ink.

All the color drained out of my face. I looked around to see if anyone was there – when I didn't see anyone. I slowly kneeled and picked up the envelope with shaky hands. I slowly tore the top of the envelope and slide out some more pictures of me. My eyes went wide when I saw my pictures from this morning when I went for a jog. Tears filled in my eyes and go through several pictures of me.

Just then the door opened – revealing Maria. "Thank God, you are here! I was so worried!" she started but paused as she saw tears in my eyes. "What-what happened?" she asked concernedly.

I hastily walked into the apartment and closed the door behind me – this time I didn't forget to lock it. "Maria." I sobbed and hugged her.

"Charlie?" she called my name as she rubbed my back. "Charlie, what happened? You are scaring me." She said.

"Maria, someone – someone has been watching me," I said and pulled away from her. I hastily walked towards the window and shut it down before pulling the curtain over it. I then walked towards the other window and shut it down as well.

"Charlie? Charlie, what do you mean someone has been watching you?" she asked worriedly as she followed me to my room. "Charlie, you are scaring me. Tell me." She said as I closed my bedroom's window.

I turned around and hand the envelope to her. "Someone has been keeping an eye on me. I don't know who but, I – I found this outside the apartment's door." I told her as I saw her looking at the pictures she had in her hands. I sniffed, "And – and – this is not it. Ben showed me the same type of envelope that he found in Joe's bedroom. He said that someone has been watching me the whole time." I told her. "There were so many pictures of me in it, Maria. Someone has been following me." I added.

She knitted her brows, "Wait – Ben? Did you meet Ben? When did you meet him?" she asked. "Charlie, I am confused." She added.

I was about to answer her when the doorbell rang – shaking me to my core. We both looked towards the door. My eyes widened as I shook my head, "Don't – don't open the door, Maria." I whispered.

The doorbell again rang. Maria frowned and then looked towards the door, "Okay, just relax – okay? Let me see who it is through the peephole." She said.

"No – no – no," I said and tried to stop her by reaching for her hand.

Maria looked at me and held me by my shoulder, "Charlie, relax – okay. Relax. I will not open the door unless it is someone I know of." She told me.

I nodded and sat on the bed while Maria walked outside. My whole body was badly shaking. I gulped and waited for Maria to come back. I was about to walk outside to see what was taking her so long when I heard someone. "Where is she?" The voice was very familiar.

"Uh – she is in the bedroom," Maria said to him.

I stood on my feet as Marcus hastily walked into the room. He was a little out of breath and his eyes were wide open. He visually sighed in relief as his eyes met mine. "You are not staying here, Charlie." He said to me. "You are coming with me." He added.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

355K 11.2K 46
Book 2 of The Sampson's Legacy CAN BE READ AS A STAND ALONE! It was his turn. It was his time to take on the family corporation. To sit behind the sa...
736K 22.7K 63
BOOK 1 IN THE ROMANO SERIES (WARNING!!! 18+ ONLY ➡ THIS BOOK CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE AND EXPLICIT MATURE SCENES) Kiara Cambridge is a norm...
395K 14.5K 49
Bianca's never had it easy. Ever since her father died, she's always felt the need to help out as much as possible. Her priority in life is to gradua...
4.6M 122K 59
(Completed) Carrying the bag pack, I run. I run from the man I love. The man who is the father of my unborn children. I brush past the security check...