Marcus Harrison's Paradise

By symhere

BOOK TWO OF HARRISON SERIES. Charlotte McGill is sublimely good with children. She totally adores Kathie, Mar... More

Jobless
Chocolate Cupcakes
Do You Need A Nanny?
An Uninvited Guest
Left Or Right?
A Kiss Of Farewell
Ignoring Is An Art
The VIPs
Does The Offer Still Stand?
Emails
Lunch
First Day At Work
First Day At Work (Part II)
First Mistake
Overthinking
Meeting The New Harrison
Dinner With The Boss
Bothered
I Trust You
New Plans
Sick Boss-man
A New Feeling
Troubled Sunday
A Little Secret
That's Better
A Word Called 'Love'
Flashbacks
Welcome Party
I Can Do It, You Should Go
Trying To Tell Him Something
Happy Birthday, Kathie!
Don't Leave
Rollercoaster of Life
Fired
The Only Friend And Family
I See You
Not Just You
Forgiveness
Hard To Be A Harrison
Mackie
Hangover
No One New
Scared
Monster
Meeting The Father
Sorry
Revenge
Promise
Things You Don't Know About Me
Traitor
Don't Go
Epilogue (The End)
Charlie's Utopia

Not Him

11.3K 411 16
By symhere

The next morning I woke up early. The whole night I was tossing around – I hardly got any sleep. I just couldn't stop thinking about Marcus. Each time I would close my eyes – his eyes filled with anger, disappointment and betrayal would come up in front of my eyes. The burden of the accusation was so heavy over my shoulder that I could hardly properly breathe. There isn't any time of the day when I don't think about everything that happened. There isn't a single moment of the day when I won't blame myself for being tricked so easily.

I sighed and stood up and saw the sun rising– the darkness of the night was surrendering to the light of the day. The sky was turning into an orange shade. The birds were chippering – celebrating yet another day. I look at the desolate road just in front of my apartment – there was a time when I used to go jogging early in the morning to clear up my mind. Today, after so many years, I am again in need of that.

I walked out into the lounge to see Maria still sleeping on the couch. I walked back to my room and changed into black leggings and a grey tank top before wearing my joggers. I tied my hair in a high ponytail and left a note on the kitchen counter for Maria to inform her that I was going on jogging. I didn't take my phone with me as I didn't want any sort of distraction but, I didn't forget to check before I leave to see if he texted me yet where he would be meeting me. I glanced at sleeping Maria and walked out of my apartment.

By the time I came out – the darkness completely surrendered to the light. The air was still a little chilly and the street was slightly damped by the dew. I jogged in my place for a few moments before running towards no particular destination.

I jogged for almost an hour and ended up sitting on a bench in a park near my apartment. I was out of breath and thirsty but, I wasn't ready to go home yet – I need some more time alone. I sat on the bench and looked around. People were jogging and walking on the track, at one corner there was a group of senior citizens doing laughter therapy while another small group of women was practicing yoga. I sat there long enough. When I finally decided to leave – the park was almost empty. Just a few people were walking around. I didn't know what the time was as I left my cell phone and wrist-watch at home – so after concluding that it was late enough, I stood up on my feet and walked back to my apartment.

I slowly climbed the stairs of the building and lightly knocked on the door of my apartment. I hope Maria would still be there because I didn't bring the keys with me. After hearing muffled voices – Maria finally opened the door.

"What took you so long?" she asked. "I was so worried." She added concernedly.

I sighed, "I went on jogging. I left the note, didn't you see it?" I asked.

"Yes, I did but, I have been awake for almost three hours and you weren't here when I woke up. It doesn't take so long to jog." She pointed out.

I shrugged, "I needed some time to clear my mind." I answered.

She was quiet for a few seconds before she nodded her, "I get it." She said.

I nodded my head and twisted my lips, "So, will you let me in now?" I asked her as she was blocking my way to enter.

She chuckled nervously and backed away, "Oh, yeah – uh – but, Charlie I want you to –" She was saying as I walked into my apartment. But, I stopped listening to her as I halted in my way because I sensed the familiar smell. I frowned and lift my head to look at the person I thought I would never see.

"Marcus?" I whispered.

There stood Marcus and Silas. Marcus was standing in the middle of the room while Silas was sitting on the couch right behind his brother. Silas saw me standing and he stood up before buttoning his jacket. I twirled around to see Maria biting her lower lip. "I didn't know that they would come." She answered my unasked question.

I twirled back around to see Marcus standing in a grey suit with his hands shoved into his pant pockets. He hasn't shaved since I last saw him, also there are bags under his eyes – like he hasn't slept in a while – just like I didn't either. His mouth set in a hard line. His eyes didn't leave mine since I saw him. All that we have been through ran through my mind. The kiss, the confession, the fight – everything rushed through my mind. I gulped as the tension between us only increased but, none of us said a word.

"Charlotte – hi – uh – how are you?" Silas walked forward.

I finally broke eye contact with Marcus and shifted my gaze to look at Silas – who was also dressed in a navy blue suit. "I have been better," I answered short.

Just looking at these two brothers freshened up the memory of humiliation that I have been running from. I gulped as I felt a lump in my throat – it was hard to control my emotions around them – especially Marcus so, I averted my gaze from both of them, "What are you here for, Silas?" I asked. I was nervous to ask him that. What if they are handing me over to police or something like that – all the worse came rushing in my mind.

I walked pass by them and entered in the kitchen – I needed water – my throat was dry. Silas followed me in and stood by the counter, "We – want to ask you some questions, if you don't mind." he asked as I gulped down half of the bottle of water.

I put the bottle back in the fridge and sighed, "I don't have answers to your questions, Silas." I shook my head and replied lowly. I turned around to face him, "I didn't steal anything from Marcus. I don't work for anyone – hell, I didn't even know what that file was for." I answered the question that I was asked that day repeatedly.

"Charlie – Charlie, if you would just listen to us, please. I will tell you everything – just listen to us, okay?" he said.

I exhaled loudly and nodded, "Okay, I am listening." I told him.

He offered me a small smile, "Thank you." He said. "Come outside – there are a few things we need to talk about." He said. I honestly didn't want to hear anything. I just want to forget everything that happened but, I also want to prove my innocence – I can't live with such accusation over my head so, it is better to hear him out.

I wordlessly nodded my head and walked into the lounge where Marcus was standing by the window – with his back facing us and Maria was sitting on the couch. Silas walked to Marcus and said something in his ear at which Marcus didn't give any response. Silas then sighed and asked me to sit. I quietly sat down and with my hands resting on my lap. Silas sat behind me while Marcus didn't move from his place.

"Charlie, I want you to tell me everything that happened that day – when – when you say you gave that file to Joe," Silas asked.

I sighed and looked at Maria – she nodded encouragingly and then glanced at Marcus – who wasn't even looking at me. I shifted my gaze to Silas and told him everything – every detail of what happened. I told him how Joe was getting late and how he asked me to bring that file from Marcus's room. I told him how I received the text message from Marcus and he permitted me to enter his office. Everyone listened quietly as I told them every ounce of the truth.

After I was done Silas was quiet for a few seconds before he exhaled, "So, you got a text from Marcus's number and he told you where the file was?" He asked.

I nodded my head, "Yes, how else do you think I knew where the key for the drawer was." I replied.

"I didn't text you." Marcus finally spoke for the first time. "You must have noticed where I put the key while you used to come to my office with Kathryn." He added.

I stood from the couch, "No, I didn't. I don't even know what that file was for." I said.

"You didn't need to know – you just had to hand it over to the person you are working for." He accused.

I gritted my teeth, "I don't work for anyone, Marcus. I just worked for you – that's it." I replied angrily.

Marcus and I were between the angry gaze battle when Silas came between us, "Guys, please – just calm down – will you both?" he asked.

I closed my eyes tightly for a brief moment and nodded my head lightly before sitting back on the couch. Marcus didn't say anything either and went back to staring out of the window. Silas exhaled loudly and sat back on the couch, "Charlie, when we saw the CCTV footage – all we saw was you getting in Marcus's office and taking the file from the drawer. We also checked the lobby's CCTV footage and saw you walking along with the file in your hand. Then, we checked the parking lot of footage and saw you giving the file to someone in a black Mercedes. We tried to get the face of the person but, because you were standing just in front of the driver's seat window – we couldn't even catch the glimpse of that person." Silas told me.

"It was Joe. I gave that file to Joe. Joe was in the car. Why don't you people believe me?" I asked frustratingly.

Silas downcast his head for a moment and looked back at me. "Because we didn't found any evidence against Joe, Charlie," Silas answered.

I stared Silas wordlessly for a couple of seconds, "So, you came here to tell me that you think I stole it?" I asked with my eyes narrowed.

Silas mashed his lips together, "Charlie, we will be in great trouble if we won't find that file." Silas said, "The board of directors will think that Marcus sold the file purposely to Diego Silvia and his career would be in trouble." He added.

I stood up from the couch, "So, you are asking me to hand you the file because you guys think that I stoke it." I said.

"Yes, that's exactly what Silas is trying to say – so, give us the file back or at least tell us who did you give that file to?" Marcus said hotly.

I groaned, "I gave it to JOE! In what language do you people understand? I didn't give that file to anyone but Joe, so ask your cousin where it is!" I yelled out with leashed tears in my eyes. "I didn't steal anything from you, Marcus!" I pointed my finger towards him. "You people don't trust me but, I would never steal anything from anyone." I cried. "But, that's okay. Yes – yes, it was my fault because Joe, so easily tricked me. Yes, it is my fault because I am too easy. I made a mistake and I am willing to make it right. I don't care how – but, I will prove my innocence and I will get that file for you and that day would be the last day you will be seeing me, Mr. Marcus Owen Harrison." I yelled out hotly and wiped the tears off my face before angrily walking into my room before slamming the door with a thud.

I heard Maria saying something to the brothers but, I didn't care to listen. I was too busy crying over my pathetic life. I wanted to smack myself for being so stupid for falling for Joe's trap. I was pacing around the room while tears were flowing from my eyes when my phone buzzed. I sniffed and took the phone in my hand and unlocked it to see a new text message.

'See me at the park near Megan's kitchen. Be there in 20. I will not wait long.' It said. I re-read the message for few times before taking my shoes off and walking in the bathroom.

I took a quick shower and changed into fresh jeans and a shirt. I hurriedly put on snickers, took my handbag from the bean couch at the corner of my room and finally picked up my cell phone from the bed and hastily made my way out of the room to see that Silas and Marcus were already gone and Maria was sitting on the couch with her face hidden in his palms.

She lifted her head as she saw me walking out. With the help of her crutches she stood up, "Charlie, I am so sorry – I – where are you going?" she asked as she saw me walking towards the main door of the apartment.

I twirled my head to see her looking at me bewilderedly, "I just need to clear my head." I lied. "Don't worry, I will be back soon," I told her before walking out of the apartment – without even listening to her. I just had one thing in my mind – I need to prove myself innocent.

After walking for five minutes – I finally reached the park. I checked my phone to see that I was two minutes late. I texted him where was he? He replied that he was near the swings. When I reached by the swings I saw children playing around while some mothers were sitting in the corner – talking loudly. I sighed and looked around to see where he was. After looking around for a few seconds I finally caught glimpse of his from far. He was standing beside the swings with his back facing me. I took a deep breath and walked nearer to him.

I stopped just a few steps away and gulped, "Joe?" I called out his name.

His muscles were visually tensed before he slowly turned around to face me. He was wearing black sun-glass matching to his black suit. By the smell of fresh after-shave and lack of facial hair, I could tell that he recently shaved.

"You are two minutes late." He smirked.

I grounded my teeth, "I need answers." I jumped to the main point. I wasn't here for his chit-chat.

He chuckled and stepped forward, "Yeah?" he raised his eyebrows. I wanted to smack him again and again. I hated him – I never thought that I would ever hate him so much.

I was about to ask about the file and why he did everything when my gaze went to his chin and I paused for a moment before narrowing my eyes. I kept staring at his face before I realized something. I lift my gaze to see his sunglasses cover eyes, "You are not Joe, are you, Ben?" I questioned sourly.

The smirk fell off his face and he was quiet for a few seconds before he cleared his throat, "What?" he said.

I stepped forward to him, "Joe doesn't have a stitched scar on his chin nor he has any mole on his cheek." I told him. His lack of words was enough to answer my question, "What are you doing here, Ben? And where is Joe?" I asked him while narrowing my eyes.

Ben took his sun-glasses off and stared me hard for a few seconds before the corner of his mouth lifted, "I must say – I am impressed." He said.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.5M 2.5K 6
Brielle Newman A 21-year-old girl who was struggling to make life comfortable for herself and her niece, Delilah. Her sister left the baby the minute...
994K 32.8K 41
[COMPLETED✓] When Abigale's father can't afford her going to college, she finds herself searching for work. She ends up being a nanny for the one an...
137K 3.9K 54
Vincent Chae, CEO of The Chae Foundation and a single father, faces a dire situation. He must marry quickly to retain custody of his beloved children...
1.2M 43K 52
Pain, hatred and abuse are the only things Alyssa Jordan knew after the unexpected death of her parents. Unloved, sad and tired of the life she's liv...