Marcus Harrison's Paradise

By symhere

BOOK TWO OF HARRISON SERIES. Charlotte McGill is sublimely good with children. She totally adores Kathie, Mar... More

Jobless
Chocolate Cupcakes
Do You Need A Nanny?
An Uninvited Guest
Left Or Right?
A Kiss Of Farewell
Ignoring Is An Art
The VIPs
Does The Offer Still Stand?
Emails
Lunch
First Day At Work
First Day At Work (Part II)
First Mistake
Overthinking
Meeting The New Harrison
Dinner With The Boss
Bothered
I Trust You
New Plans
Sick Boss-man
A New Feeling
Troubled Sunday
A Little Secret
That's Better
A Word Called 'Love'
Flashbacks
Welcome Party
I Can Do It, You Should Go
Trying To Tell Him Something
Happy Birthday, Kathie!
Rollercoaster of Life
Fired
The Only Friend And Family
Not Him
I See You
Not Just You
Forgiveness
Hard To Be A Harrison
Mackie
Hangover
No One New
Scared
Monster
Meeting The Father
Sorry
Revenge
Promise
Things You Don't Know About Me
Traitor
Don't Go
Epilogue (The End)
Charlie's Utopia

Don't Leave

12.6K 411 73
By symhere

The kiss was cut short as Kathie came running in the kitchen and grasped to her father's leg. Marcus looks down at his daughter and lifts her in his arms – this time he didn't have the smile he usually has on his face whenever he looks at his daughter. I, on the other hand, was still mesmerized by the feeling of his lips against mine. I touched my lips lightly and smiled – he kissed me back – I was happy – beyond happy actually. I was still feeling the tingling sensation from his kiss.

Marcus did his back to me while he was holding his daughter in his arms. I put my hand over his shoulder and felt his getting stiffed under my touch, "Marcus?" I called his name slowly.

He sighed, "Not now, Charlotte." He said and swiftly walked out of the kitchen – leaving me stunned. The smile fell off my face – the ecstatic feeling was gone – now replaced with miserableness.

All of a sudden, I started feeling unsettled. I gulped and jump off the counter before walking out of the kitchen to see Marcus sitting on the couch with his face hiding under his palms while Kathie was sitting on the floor beside his feet – playing with the toys that her father got for her. I slowly made my way towards him. "Marcus," I called his name but, he didn't look at me. I sighed and stood right in front of him, "You can't ignore me after what happened." My voice wobbled.

He sighed loudly and finally looked at me. His eyes were glossy, "I can't do this." He shook his head lightly.

My heart dropped in my stomach, "What do you mean by that?" I asked.

He stood up on his feet, "We can't do this. That kiss – it should not have happened. It was a mistake." He said and walked pass by me.

I was left speechless – I couldn't move. I felt mixed emotions – I was disappointed because he was rejecting me after kissing me and I felt angry as well because he has no right to kiss me and then walked away. I glanced at Kathie who was busy playing with her toys. I felt wetness on my cheek – I didn't even notice that I was crying. I wipe off the tears and sniffed before walking towards where Marcus was standing.

He was staring out of the window wall with his hands pressed against the glass while he was leaning in with his head downcast. "I will leave," I spoke loudly – I could feel him getting stiffed but, he didn't move, so I continued. "I will leave and I will never show you my face again – ever." I said causing him to finally twirl around and look at me, "Only when you will tell me that you feel nothing about me – only if you will tell me that – that kiss meant nothing to you – I swear, I will leave." I added as tears fell from my eyes.

He closed his eyes and gulped – my eyes followed his Adam's apple's movement. "Charlotte, you need to understand this – we –" he motioned his index finger between the two of us, "This can never happen." He said.

His reply was unsettling for me, so I narrowed my eyes, "Then why did you kiss me?" I asked him.

"I don't know." He mumbled and tried to walk past me but, I held him by his arm.

I shook my head, "You do know. You know exactly why you kissed me – you just don't want to accept that." I said to him. "You may not like me as I do but, you definitely feel something for me, or else you would have never kissed me back," I added.

He looked down at me – his eyes said it all – I was right. He shook his head, "We can't do this." He whispered to me again, "Charlotte, I can't – I just can't." he said and released his arm from my grip.

"Why can't you, Marcus? Answer me?" I pleaded. I wiped my cheek as I could taste the saltiness of tears on my lips. When he didn't answer I stepped back, "Is it because of Susan?" I asked him.

He jerked his head towards me – I know I put my hand on his Achilles heel but, I needed to know what was going on in his mind. He clenched his jaws, "Party's over – you can go home." He gritted out but, I didn't budge.

I sniggered, "I will go – I will leave but, remember one thing, Marcus. Once I step out of this house." I pointed towards the floor, "I am never coming back." I choked on my words. "You will never see me." I stepped closer to him, "Tell me, do you want me to leave?" I added.

He clenched his hands into a fist and huffed, "Yes." He gritted out while looking down at the floor.

I sniggered, "Look in my eyes and tell say it." I asked him.

He looked into my eyes in a flash – his eyes held pain, desolateness, and helplessness. I could see that he was battling with his inner-self, "I want you to get out of my life, Charlotte. I want you to get out and never come here again – ever." He said causing my heart to break into a million pieces.

His words were like a blow to my heart. Honestly, I was hoping for him to tell me to stay – I wanted him to tell me that he like me just as much as I like him, I wanted so much more than those excruciating words from him – but, I guess I will never get those. Why do I always fall for the wrong man?

I nodded numbly, "Okay." I said. There wasn't any point for me to fight for him anymore. I cannot force myself into someone's heart. I gulped and slowly walked pass by him. I stopped just beside him and looked at him to see him looking straight ahead – ignoring me. I smiled sadly, "I wish for you to find someone better in your life." My voice wobbled. I leaned towards him on my toe and gently brushed my lips against his rough stubble cheek, "Goodbye, Mr. Harrison." I whispered. When I didn't get any reply from him – I lightly shook my head and walked pass by him.

I was sobbing silently when I picked up my bag from the couch. I just wanted to leave – I couldn't face Kathie because I know that I will never be able to keep it together in front of her. Knowing that it might be the last time I am seeing or meeting Kathie is so painful. I have grown on her – I love her so much that I can't afford to say her goodbye – I don't it to be more painful than it already is. I twirled around to walk away but, a little angel didn't let me as she was standing in front of me with her stuff bear in her hand.

"Char." She squealed my name and showed me her teddy bear.

Her calling my name was enough for me to break down. I kneeled and hugged her tightly while silently sobbing. I put my hand over my mouth so that no voice would escape my mouth. I sniffed and broke the hug to look at my angel for the last time. She knitted her brows when she saw my face. "Char." She whined and wiped the tears from my face. Her act didn't help me but, made me burst into more tears.

"I love you." My voice came out squeaky, "Always know that I love you so much. You are the best thing that came into my life in a while. Knowing that I won't be seeing you anymore is killing me." I said to her while she hears me out, "I want you to stay happy – always. I want you to live the happiest life and – and always take care of your father." I whispered and kissed her numerous times on her face causing her to laugh. I chuckled sadly – I was going to miss her.

I got up to my feet and glanced at her because speeding towards the exit. I couldn't stay here anymore – knowing that Marcus would never like me as I like him was hurtful enough and now, leaving Kathie was like salt to my wounds.

I was about to walk out of the house when someone grabbed me by my arm – restricting me to walk away. I was pulled back and pushed on the nearest wall. I gasped as I felt Marcus's body crushing mine.

He put his forehead over mine and sighed harshly. "You screwed up everything." He whispered and leaned back. He opened his eyes and stared into my teary ones, "You screwed up everything, Charlotte. I have been trying so hard – so fucking hard not to feel anything about you. I have been trying so hard to push you away but, you - you stupid girl just don't get it." He said, "I was okay before you. I was living alone. I was drowning in my sorrows. The numbness of my empty heart was overtaking the ache but, I was okay. But then you came and ruined everything. All of the sudden I started to feel good whenever I would hear your laughter, I would smile seeing you do silly things with my daughter – weekends would feel dull without you laughing and squealing around the house." He continued, "My eyes would search for you whenever I'd come back home from work. I was changing – you were changing me and it scared me. So, I tried to push you away but, you stubborn girl just doesn't get it. Instead of backing away – you barged in." He added. By the end I was silently sobbing – this time it wasn't because of hurt but, because of the felicity.

I didn't say anything but, l launched me on him. I circled my arms around him and kissed him. His words were enough for me to know that he feels the same about me and I couldn't be happier. He circled his arms around my waist and pulled me towards him – he kissed me back intensely. After our short make-out session he back away and sighed, "Don't leave." He whispered while staring into my eyes.

I chuckled, "I won't." I said and hugged him. It felt weird kissing him and hugging him – the distant, alone man was finally opening up to me and I couldn't feel any better about it.

After crying and kissing a bit more. We made our way to the lounge – where Kathie was still playing – completely unaware of what happened between her father and I. I went on my knees and hugged her before kissing her cheek, "I love you." I said to her again while I could feel Marcus's eyes on me. I twirled around to look at him and passed him a smile which he returned.

After dinner – we took Kathie to her room as it was her bedtime. I changed and put her in her cot while Marcus sat on the chair looking at us all this time. It felt weird but, in a good way. Kathie her time to sleep and all this time Marcus was with us. After she slept – I kissed her and turned around to face Marcus. He got up to his feet and walked nearer to the cot – he smiled when he saw his daughter sleeping peacefully. He kissed her and mumbled something before turning around to face me.

I clasped my hands together and mashed my lips – I won't lie – I was weird around Marcus after what happened between us – weird that I can get used to. Honestly, I love this weird tingly feeling – I have never felt this way before.

We both quietly walked out of the room and came downstairs. I could feel that he was feeling awkward as well – his nervousness was displaying on his face. I cleared my throat to eliminate the awkward silence, "So?" I asked.

He looked at me and sighed, "Uh – do you want to drink something?" he asked.

I bit my lower lip, "Sure – anything but, beer." I said to him.

I looked at me and smiled, "You don't like beer?" he asked.

I smiled and lightly shook my head, "No, I hate it." I answered.

He chuckled and nodded his head, "Noted." He mumbled under his breath but, I caught it. "So, wine – maybe?" he asked.

I nodded my head, "Wine sounds good." He said.

Marcus brought the finest red wine I have ever tasted. We sat on the couch and while sipping the smooth red wine. He was looking at nothing while swinging the glass of his wine. I frowned and leaned nearer to him, "What are you thinking about?" I asked him.

He looked at me and exhaled loudly but, didn't say anything. "Are you still in doubt?" I questioned him again.

"I won't lie to you, Charlotte but, yes – yes I am." He replied honestly – his answer hurt a bit but, I asked for it.

"Why?"

"You are with Joseph." He said simply.

I shook my head, "He is not my boyfriend." I answered, "Yes, we were dating but, I never liked him as much as I like you." I answered him with a small smile. The side of his mouth lifted but, he didn't smile. I narrowed my eyes, "Were you ever jealous of him?" I asked.

He looked at me and paused for a little while, "Yes – a lot." he answered shortly.

My heart burst with happiness, "Really?" I asked him with a cheeky grin.

"Yeah." He nodded his head. I laughed silently as I saw that he didn't want to talk about it so, I dropped it but, still could wipe the smile off my face.

"I tried to talk to him today but, he was in a hurry so, I will talk to him tomorrow – I hope he will understand," I said.

He nodded his head, "Nothing can happen between us – you know – before you talk to him." He stated.

"I know," I said. We will not date or be together till I talk to Joe – that is only fair.

There was a small pause before I sighed, "So, tell me about yourself." I asked him.

He looked at me and raised his brow, "I think everyone knows about me – including you." He replied. I know he was talking about what happened to him but, I wanted to know about him other than that.

"I want to know about you other than." I said, "Tell me about your childhood?" I asked him.

He sniggered, "It wasn't the best." He replied without looking at me.

It was hard for him to opening up to someone all of the sudden – I could feel how uncomfortable he was getting so I dropped it. I sighed and faced him, "Let me tell you about me." I said to him. He looked at me and smiled before nodding his head.

I exhaled loudly before leaning on the couch, "I was the only child of my parents. My life was pretty average before my parents – before they went missing or died – I don't know." I said while playing with my fingers – I could feel his gaze on me but, I didn't look at him, "I was fourteen then." I told him – finally looking at him. He was already looking at me with a frown on his face, "They went on a camping trip alone – when they didn't come back or received their phones I got worried and called the police. They found their tents and all their possessions in the forest but, they never found them." I choked, "After searching for days – they concluded that they went to the restricted area of the forest and were attacked by some wild animal. Everyone lost hope but, I didn't. I waited for them for four years – but, they never came back." I told him while tears fell from my eyes. My parents have always been a touchy topic for me.

Marcus put his hand over my back and lightly rubbed it. He leaned in towards me while I put my head over his chest. I don't know how long I cried. He didn't say anything but, kept caressing my shoulder. Soon my cries died down and silence took over – I don't know how long we stayed like that – I leaning on his chest and him caressing my shoulder. It never felt more before.

After a long silence, he sighed, "I was adopted." He said. I sat back to look at him – this was a complete shock to me. I know a lot of things about him but, this was new and shocking. I stayed silent and let him do the talking, "I was two – maybe three when dad and mom adopted me. Mom and dad were trying to have children but even after five years of marriage they couldn't so, they decided to adopt me." He paused. "Everything was pretty normal until Silas was born. Dad loved me as much he loved Silas but, mom – she changed. She gave priority to her blood rather than me." He sniggered. "I remember how I used to make her happy with me. Always getting good grades to impress her, always trying hard to be loved by her but, I failed. She stopped considering me her child after Elizabeth was born and when dad announced that I will get the most of his Harrison Enterprise shares – she lost it and plotted everything against me. She used to act sweet and caring in front of others but, when it would be alone with me – she would turn evil." He said.

"Marcus," I whispered and put my hand over his.

"I met Susan in high school – she was mom's friend's daughter. She was perfect." He paused and sniffed, "She was caring, funny, and beautiful – she was everything I was looking in a girl. Since she belonged to a rich family – mom always wanted her to be with Silas. She didn't like the idea of her being with me so, she started to turn everyone against me. She made everyone believe that Maria and I were having an affair. And you know what? Susan didn't believe her – she fought with my mother for me." His voice wobbled. It was the first time I saw a tear falling from his eyes. "But, I lost her – I lost her too soon." He whispered. I couldn't take it anymore so I hugged him – I hugged him tightly. I wasn't jealous of Susan on time. I was proud of her – I was thankful to her for standing up for him.

Again there was silence among us. There was a glum cloud surrounding us – making everything feel distressing. Marcus was sitting with his head resting on the header of the couch while I was sitting beside him – studying his features. It felt good to see him opening up to me.

"Do you want to play a game?" I asked him out of nowhere.

He frowned and looked at me, "What game?" he asked.

"It is called 'Things you don't know about me'," I said. "We will tell each other things that we think that we don't know about others and if the opponent knows even one of it – the other one loses," I told him.

Maria and I used to play this game when we were teenagers. It used to fun till we both ran out of secrets – well that's what we thought. There are few things that Maria is still unaware of about me and I am sure there are few things that I don't know about her. It would be, safe to say that we ran out of secrets that we both wanted each other to know.

He chuckled, "You are the most childish person I know." He smiled.

"Is that a bad thing?" I asked him.

He shook his head, "No." he said.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 4.2K 33
"That night was a mistake!" "The best mistake of my life!! " ___________________________________ Naomi Scarlett Johnson a young lady looking for a j...
151K 21K 70
A flirty bartender entraps two men, an average guy and a billionaire. She's sought after by both men, who desire her. Madison Hart is outspoken, dete...
4.6M 122K 59
(Completed) Carrying the bag pack, I run. I run from the man I love. The man who is the father of my unborn children. I brush past the security check...
994K 32.8K 41
[COMPLETED✓] When Abigale's father can't afford her going to college, she finds herself searching for work. She ends up being a nanny for the one an...