Marcus Harrison's Paradise

By symhere

BOOK TWO OF HARRISON SERIES. Charlotte McGill is sublimely good with children. She totally adores Kathie, Mar... More

Jobless
Chocolate Cupcakes
Do You Need A Nanny?
An Uninvited Guest
Left Or Right?
A Kiss Of Farewell
Ignoring Is An Art
The VIPs
Does The Offer Still Stand?
Emails
Lunch
First Day At Work
First Day At Work (Part II)
First Mistake
Overthinking
Meeting The New Harrison
Dinner With The Boss
Bothered
I Trust You
New Plans
Sick Boss-man
A New Feeling
Troubled Sunday
A Little Secret
A Word Called 'Love'
Flashbacks
Welcome Party
I Can Do It, You Should Go
Trying To Tell Him Something
Happy Birthday, Kathie!
Don't Leave
Rollercoaster of Life
Fired
The Only Friend And Family
Not Him
I See You
Not Just You
Forgiveness
Hard To Be A Harrison
Mackie
Hangover
No One New
Scared
Monster
Meeting The Father
Sorry
Revenge
Promise
Things You Don't Know About Me
Traitor
Don't Go
Epilogue (The End)
Charlie's Utopia

That's Better

11.2K 458 6
By symhere

Few days passed and it was Friday. Five days since I talked to Marcus – five days till I got the news that Leo's coming back. Maria is ecstatic – after all her brother was coming back but, I – I am freaking out. I haven't seen him for more than two years – I don't know how I am going to face him. He is coming in three days a week. My plan is simple – ignore Leo as much as I can.

"Char." Kathie squealed. I twirled my head towards her to see her showing me her stuff penguin. I laughed and came down to my knees and kissed her forehead.

"What a beautiful penguin," I said to her.

Kathie started calling me Char since the past few days. Joe taught her and as a quick learner that she is – she started calling me Char in no time. It is funny how she even sometimes calls her father Char. Apparently 'Char' is her favorite word these days and I have no problem with it. Kathie and I were sitting in the lounge after I fed her lunch – we were now playing with her stuff toys. Kathie was babbling about something when I heard some footsteps. I twirled around to see Marcus walking towards us while his eyes were on his cellphone.

I frowned and glanced at my wristwatch to see that it was only two in the afternoon, "What are you doing here?" I blurt out my question.

Marcus finally lifted his gaze to look at me, "If you don't remember, let me remind you – I live here, Miss McGill." He answered sarcastically.

I rolled my eyes, "I didn't mean like that." I mumbled.

He sighed and kneed down beside his daughter, who was so busy playing with her penguin that she didn't even saw her father coming. "Hello, my sweetheart." He said while kissing her forehead.

Kathie looked up and beamed, "Da-da." She said loudly before trying to get on his lap. Marcus laughed and picked her up in his arms. I smiled as I saw Marcus getting up with his daughter in his arms. Kathie giggled and pinched his father's chin.

Marcus laughed and took her hand away from his chin and kissed it before he looked at me, "Miss McGill, can I talk to you for a minute?" he asked.

This kind of question always scares me. I frowned and nodded nervously, "Sure." I said.

"Follow me, please." He said while walking towards his office. I twist my lips and quietly followed behind him. Kathie looked at me and waved her hand to me – I grinned and waved back to her. We reached his office, he twisted the knob and stepped in – I followed behind and walked after him.

"Please close the door behind." He asked while putting Kathie down on the floor. I did what he said. I smiled when I saw a few stuff toys resting on the bookshelf. Marcus picked them up and gave them to Kathie to place with. Marcus looked at me, "Oh, I have to keep her toys everywhere." He explained. "She often stays with me while I work – so, I shifted a few of her toys here as well." He added.

I smiled, "I understand." I said.

"Yeah." He shoved his hands into his pant pocket while I quietly stayed in the same position. After an awkward pause of a few seconds, he cleared his throat, "Please have a seat." He waved his hand towards the chair just in front of his desk while he sat on the chair behind the desk.

"So, I wanted to talk about something." He said while adjusting himself on the chair.

I nodded, "Yes?"

"There is this business partner we are dealing with – well, more likely I am dealing with and he wants me to come to his new house for a barbeque tomorrow. He wants to talk business over lunch." He said.

"Oh yeah, sure – you should go. I will look after Kathie." I said almost immediately.

"I wasn't done yet." He pointed out.

"Oh – uh, I am sorry. Please continue." I said – realizing I interrupted him again.

He stared me for few seconds before sighing. He leaned back in the chair and loosens up his tie, "He knows that I have a daughter and he wants me to bring her as well."

"Oh, so am I getting a day off?" I asked.

"Charlotte." He said my name loudly to make me realize that I interrupted him – again.

I gaped, "Wait." I whispered. "Did – did you just call me Charlotte?" I asked. He frowned before realization drawn on his face.

He scratched behind his ear, "I – uh – I meant –"

"No – no – no – I mean, it's okay. It's just I didn't know that you remember my first name." I tried to joke. My chuckle faded as I saw how bored he looked. I cleared my throat and kitted my brows, "You were saying?" I asked.

He sighed, "As I was saying, he wants me to bring Su along with me and you know how she is with new people. I don't know if I will be able to handle her while taking care of business. So, I wanted to ask if you would like to join me and Su tomorrow afternoon." He asked. I looked at him as he went quiet – I didn't say a word because I don't want to interrupt him again. He raised his eyebrow and exhale loudly, "I am done now." He added.

"Oh – uh, well I thought – never mind, well – I am not invited, Mr. Harrison. I mean, last time I went someplace uninvited and let's just say that it wasn't the best experience." I told him – referencing my visit to his place months ago.

He gave the sharp look but, did say anything –he knows I am talking about him. "It doesn't matter. You will be there as my employee and anyways, I'm sure he will not mind, so will you come or not?" he questioned – there was a little hint of irksomeness in his voice.

I didn't push it and nodded my head, "Sure – I will come." I said.

He nodded, "Thank you." He said. "You can go now." He said while opening the lid of his laptop.

I stood on my feet and straightened my shirt, "Do you want me to take Kathie with me?" I asked while looking at Kathie who was sitting on the floor – playing with her stuff toys.

Marcus glanced at her daughter, "Yeah, I am working right now." He told me. I nodded and picked Kathie from the floor – she didn't resist and circled her arms around my neck.

"Bye." She said and waved her hand to her father. I chuckled and twirled around to see Marcus laughing and waving his hand to his daughter.

Saturday rolled out. I wore a purple sundress that ended till my knees with black flat shoes. I tied my hair in a high ponytail and applied just a little make-up. Currently, I am changing Kathie into a green frock with white shoes after I bathed her. I brushed her hair and left that as they are – I like her hair untied. I put her in her cot and gave her, her stuff penguin to play with while I packed some of her things, like a spare frock, her feeder, two of her stuff toys, in a small bag.

I heard a knock on the door – I twirled around to see the door opening. Marcus walked inside, "Is she ready?" he asked while shoving his hands into his pant pockets. He was wearing a dark blue suit and pants with a white undershirt and blue tie. It looked like he was going to some formal function. From what he's wearing there are 25% chances that he might die of heat today – it is warm outside and he's wearing a suit. He is invited to the barbeque – which means that it will be in the open air – not in some air-conditioned room. I tried to hide my smile by mashing my lips together – I have never seen this guy in casual wear, other than the time when he was sick.

I cleared my throat, "Uh – yes, she's ready." I answered him.

He narrowed his eyes and look down at his clothes – he must have seen me checking his clothes out, "What's wrong?" he questioned while checking his suit.

"Uh – nothing, it's just – we are going to the barbeque – not to some business meeting," I said while pointing towards his suit.

He frowned, "It is a business meeting." He emphasized.

"I know but, what I mean is that barbeque would be a – 'less formal' like of a meeting." I pointed out.

He glanced at his suit one more time, "Cassandra will be here any minute now. We'll go when she'll arrive." He informed me – completely ignore the previous topic. I frowned. I didn't know that she was going too. I didn't say anything and nodded my head.

"Should I take Kathie downstairs?" I asked Marcus. He glanced at me and wordlessly nodded his head. I silently picked her up in my arms while hung the bag on my shoulder and walked out of the room – leaving Marcus alone with his thoughts.

"Oh – Charlotte, I didn't know you were coming too," Cassandra said as she sat in the car. Same, I thought.

Marcus was currently in the driver's seat while Kathie and I were in the back seat and Cassandra on the passenger's seat. Cassandra's driver dropped her at Marcus's penthouse and from here we all are going together – in one car. She could have gone in her car, I thought.

"Yes, Mr. Harrison asked me to come along to look after Kathie," I answered while I glanced at him from the rearview mirror. Marcus didn't look at me – he silently started the car and after that only Marcus and Cassandra talked about business while Kathie and I stayed quiet for the whole ride.

After half an hour-long drive, we finally reached Samson's mansion – that's what the nameplate said at the entrance. This place was huge. I think huge would be a small word for it. Marcus stopped the car in front of a fountain, "You guys should go. I will park the car." He said.

"Okay," Cassandra said and stepped out of the car. I unbuckle sleeping Kathie out of her seat and opened the door before getting out with her in my arms and her bag on my shoulder.

"How are you Charlotte?" Cassandra asked me as we waited for Marcus to return. She looked splendid in her mid-thigh length blue dress with the matching heels. Her hair was neatly tied in a side bun. Her eyeliner was sharp enough to kill while she applied dark red lipstick. She didn't look less than a diva.

I smiled, "I am good." I said. "How are you doing?" I asked her.

"Oh – busy with work and all." She asked with a small smile, "This month has been hectic." She soundlessly chuckled, "Marcus and I have been working day and night to make Mr. Samson sign this deal." She informed me.

"Oh okay," I replied. I didn't know what else to say – I didn't about their business so, I stayed quiet.

There was a few seconds pause, "Hey Charlotte, do you think Marcus's a little upset these days?" she questioned me out of nowhere.

I frowned, "Uh – I – I didn't notice." I lied.

"Oh." She expressed, "I think something is going on with him – I just don't know what." She said more to herself but, I heard her.

'Silas, they think I stole it.' I remember what Marcus said to Silas over the phone. I glanced at Cassandra to see her typing something on her cellphone. I sighed and didn't tell her what I heard the other day. It is not my place to say anything.

Finally after waiting for more than ten minutes – I saw Marcus walking towards us. My eyes widened and a smile formed on my face. He wasn't wearing his suit and tie anymore. A few of his white shirt's buttons were undone while he rolled his sleeve up to his forearm. He was wearing black pilot shape sunglasses. He looked good.

"Wow, Marcus – I didn't know you could do that." Cassandra chuckled as she patted his shoulder in a friendly manner.

"Yeah." He replied hesitantly. "Give her to me – she's getting heavy." He mumbled and took Kathie in his arms from me. I gladly passed her to him. He is right, she is getting a little heavy and anyways my arms were starting to ache from holding her.

"Shall we?" Cassandra asked as she walked towards the house. Marcus simply nodded and followed her while I followed Marcus.

I paced and walked beside Marcus, "That's better." I whispered to him as we were walking. He glanced at me but, didn't say anything. I could see a small smile forming on his face. He knows what I am talking about.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.5M 2.5K 6
Brielle Newman A 21-year-old girl who was struggling to make life comfortable for herself and her niece, Delilah. Her sister left the baby the minute...
1M 29.6K 49
Book #1 of "His & Hers" book trilogy Warning: Mature (18+) Content! #6 in Mafia 2022 #1 in Italianamerican 2022 #4 in Slowburn 2022 #1 in Hook-ups 20...
1.2M 42.9K 52
Pain, hatred and abuse are the only things Alyssa Jordan knew after the unexpected death of her parents. Unloved, sad and tired of the life she's liv...
94.8K 7.4K 43
Kid Shelly loves working with children. Perhaps it's because of her odd name, but she's always wanted to teach children and show them the love of Jes...