Marcus Harrison's Paradise

By symhere

BOOK TWO OF HARRISON SERIES. Charlotte McGill is sublimely good with children. She totally adores Kathie, Mar... More

Jobless
Chocolate Cupcakes
Do You Need A Nanny?
An Uninvited Guest
Left Or Right?
A Kiss Of Farewell
Ignoring Is An Art
The VIPs
Does The Offer Still Stand?
Lunch
First Day At Work
First Day At Work (Part II)
First Mistake
Overthinking
Meeting The New Harrison
Dinner With The Boss
Bothered
I Trust You
New Plans
Sick Boss-man
A New Feeling
Troubled Sunday
A Little Secret
That's Better
A Word Called 'Love'
Flashbacks
Welcome Party
I Can Do It, You Should Go
Trying To Tell Him Something
Happy Birthday, Kathie!
Don't Leave
Rollercoaster of Life
Fired
The Only Friend And Family
Not Him
I See You
Not Just You
Forgiveness
Hard To Be A Harrison
Mackie
Hangover
No One New
Scared
Monster
Meeting The Father
Sorry
Revenge
Promise
Things You Don't Know About Me
Traitor
Don't Go
Epilogue (The End)
Charlie's Utopia

Emails

13.9K 429 38
By symhere

Charlotte McGill.

Silence - absolute silence, I couldn't process it in, hell- I'm not even sure if I heard it right. I blinked rapidly, noticing that he was looking everywhere but me. It was like it hurt him to ask for my help. But, then why ask me if he doesn't want me near his daughter?

While searching for his eyes, I saw dark circles under his eyes. It looked like he hasn't shaved for a few days. His white shirt was wrinkled, his tie and coat were missing and the collar button is undone. I haven't interacted with him much- but whenever I had a chance to see him, he never looked like this. He almost looked troubled.

"Ms. McGill, will you please answer my question?" He sounded uncomfortable. I snapped out, realizing I was staring at him. Redness crept onto my cheeks.

I clear my throat and step aside, "Uh- why don't you come in Mr. Harrison?" I asked. He stared me for few seconds before sighing out loud and entering in. I bit my lip as I saw his eyes roaming around my house. I quietly closed the door and walked where Marcus was standing, eyeing every detail of my place carefully.

"Why don't you sit down, Mr. Harrison? Would you like to drink anything?" I asked. He slowly looked away from my 'Pink Panther' themed wall clock that Maria's father gifted to me when I was sixteen. Dammit! He saw it. Now, he must think I'm some immature girly girl. I closed my eyes tightly and released a shallow breath.

"Um- Maria's father gave it to me on my sixteenth birthday." I don't know I told him that. But, I had an urge to justify- hell! I haven't done anything wrong! Why would I have to justify myself?! Stupid. Stupid Charlie!

He didn't say anything but, nodded his head. I'm so stupid that I told this to him- he looked so uninterested. Why do I always end up embarrassing myself in front of him?

"Ms. McGill, would you please answer my question? I'm in a bit hurry." He stated. So professional.

I sighed, "I don't get it, Mr. Harrison. Till last week you were least interested in appointing me as your daughter's nanny. And now, all of a sudden- you came to my house, not to forget so late at night, to ask me to be your daughter's nanny? Why a sudden change of plans?" I questioned while folding my arms over my chest. I had to ask him that, I was curious - he was so determined with his decision till just last week and now he, himself walked at my door- asking me to his daughter's nanny? Suspicious.

He sighed and looked away while rubbing his eyes- he looked so tired and drained. He looked back at me, "Look, Ms. McGill - something extremely important came up. And- I, myself have to look into the matter. With such a tough schedule- I don't think I will be able to take care of my daughter. She needs someone to look after her when I'm not around." He answered.

I bit my lip and turned around, I don't know what to do. Do I want to be Kathryn's nanny? Oh God yes! But, do I want to work for Mr. Harrison? Uh- not so sure about that. He always gives me a cold shoulder and not to forget how he treated me at his place- he was polite yet too rude. God, he's complicated. What if he doesn't like the way I take care of his daughter and fires me? It's really hard to find another job these days.

Millions of questions popped up in my mind. I sighed and rubbed my temple.
"You can take your time if you want to. You can think about it and answer me by tomorrow?" He asked he must have seen me struggling. Taking my time to think about it, sounds like a good idea.

I turned around to face him, his eyes were fixed on my face- a deep frown on his face made him look older. "Yeah, I'll think about it," I replied. I didn't know what else to say. I wanted to ask about the details of this job- but, I'll ask those later- if I agree to work for him.

He nodded his head, "Good. Uh- here is my number." He said while handing over me a black business card, with his name scribed on it. "This is my office number." He pointed towards one of the numbers written on the card. As he showed me his number, my gaze traveled to his left hand's ring finger. He still has his wedding ring on, it was a plain silver ring. He must have noticed my gaze on his hand, therefore he stuffed his hand in his pocket. "I can tell you all the details tomorrow and then you can decide whether you are comfortable with the job description or not. Why don't you show up at my office tomorrow afternoon?" He asked professionally.

I felt embarrassed and looked away from him. Why the hell do I have to be so stupid in front of him?? Why?! I scolded myself mentally. "Yes, sure. That can happen. Uh- I'll be at your office by two tomorrow?" I asked unsurely.

He sighed, "Yes, of course. I'll see you then. Good night, Ms. McGill." He said with a nod, before walking towards the exit.

"Good night," I mumbled and twirled my head to see him walking out of my apartment. As soon as he walked out, I released a breath- which I didn't know I was holding. I rubbed my forehead and inhaled a deep breath- enjoying the heavenly fresh scent of green apple, lemon zest, and fresh mint leaves- must be Marcus's Cologne. The masculine fragrance screamed money.

Rich people and their awesome Cologne choice, I thought and closed the door before locking it. I rest my head on the door and start thinking about Marcus's offer. Well, I don't know if I should even call it an offer- because I don't know what I'm getting in return, other than spending time with Kathryn. A smile lit up on my face as I thought about that little bundle of joy.

I sighed and back away from the door. From the corner of my eye, I could sense something moving out of the window - on the street. I twirled my head to see a luxurious car- Marcus's car- parked in front of my apartment building, with Marcus standing on the left side of it. His back was facing me, so I couldn't see his face. I curiously walked towards the window to see him standing still. After a few seconds, he bends over while placing his hands on the roof of the car. After a few seconds, he leaned back and harshly bumped his fist on the glass of the window of the car- breaking it into pieces. I gasped and unconsciously backed away from the window.

Why would he do that?!

I had an urge to run downstairs and see if he injured himself but before I could even think anything else. I saw him opening the door of his car, dusting the pieces of glass with his bare hands, getting into the car, and drove away- rather carelessly.

After he was gone, I kept staring at the dark and empty street with only one question on my mind, what the hell was that?

That night I kept tossing around, but sleep was nowhere to be. My mind kept lingering around Marcus, how he showed up at my place unannounced, how to distress he looked- and not to forget how he smashed his fist on the glass, like- like he was angry, anxious- broken. I don't know why but, he's like a magnet- attracting me towards him. I have an urge to figure him out, I want to know what his troubles are, I want to help him escape the misery. I don't know why. But I just do.

I sighed and lay straight on my bed, staring at the uneven paint on my ceiling. Good thing that tomorrow's Sunday and I don't have to be at work, neither have I had any order to complete until next Friday. Wait- tomorrow is Sunday? Oh yes, it is. Tomorrow is Sunday and by that it means that it is a public holiday tomorrow, meaning everything will be closed- including Mr. Harrison's office! How am I going to meet him then?

I sat down and stretch over my nightstand to switch on the lamp As soon as light spread around my room, the first thing I saw was the black business card that was resting on the same table on which the lamp is placed. My sight zoomed at the office number and e-mail ID scribed on the card. I tugged my lip between my teeth and thought about contacting him, but it was too late to do that. There would be no one in the office at this hour of the night, for sure. Maybe I should leave a message or an e-mail?

I groaned and fell back on my bed with a thud, why am I overthinking?! I don't have to ask him now, I can always ask him in the morning. Yes, that's right. I will ask him tomorrow. I don't have to do it now. I should probably sleep now. Oh yes, that's it, I thought determinedly.

Forty-five minutes later, my eyes looked for any error that I might have made while writing this email to Marcus. I asked him if he'll be at his office tomorrow, as it's Sunday. I bit my lip and stared at the time showing on the bottom of my desktop, it was 2:03 am to be exact. I sighed and mentally battled with myself about whether I should send it now or not? After staring at the screen for a good five minutes, I clicked on the send button. Well, here goes nothing.

After sending the email I waited for a few minutes. I kept refreshing the page, but my inbox remained the same. I closed my eyes tightly and groaned, why are you being so stupid? Of course, he must be sleeping! He's not crazy like you Charlie! Why are you waiting for his reply? Where is the hell your common sense? I scolded myself mentally.

I exhaled frustratingly and shook my head, "I should sleep. I'm going crazy." I mumbled to myself. With that thought, I sighed and was about to cancel the page when I heard a notification sound, I hurriedly looked at the list to see- I got a new email in my inbox. I mashed my lips together before opening the mail. It was from Marcus. He replied to the email I sent to him a few minutes ago.

Ms. McGill,

I will be at my office tomorrow. You are welcome to visit at any time of the day.

Regards,

Marcus Owen Harrison,
Senior Partner.
Harrison Private Limited.

Of course, he'll be there, that's why he asked you to come. Stupid! stupid! I groaned at slammed my head over the keyboard with a thud, few buttons pressed under my head but, I don't care. I closed my eyes tightly and lift my head to see an email sending on Marcus's email address. Huh? But I didn't write any mail to him.

A loud gasp escaped from my mouth, my widened in horror, "Shit!" I cried out. "No no no no no- shit no!" I panicked. I tried to stop it from sending but, it was too late. "No!" I cried out and let out a sob. I stared the screen in pure horror, what the hell did I send him?! I hastily clicked on the sent option to see how much did I embarrass myself. I opened the mail that I just mistakenly sent to Marcus.

"Vbgfhbbbbbbbb5 yubg," it said. Oh God! Why me? Why?!

I slapped my head before writing a new mail.

Subject: Mistake.

Dear Mr. Harrison,

I'm so sorry. I didn't intend to send that previous mail to you. It was a mistake, please ignore it.

About the meeting, I can be at your office at 2:00 pm, is it okay with you?

Regards,

Charlotte McGill.

After reading the mail for few times I finally send it to him. I sighed and stretch back, I hope he doesn't think weird of me. Too late for that, a voice said in my head. A new mail sound caused me to sit straight. With a shaky breath, I opened the new mail from Marcus.

Ms. McGill,

Yes, 2:00 pm is fine with me. We can schedule our meeting over lunch if that's okay with you.

Regards,

Marcus Owen Harrison,
Senior Partner.
Harrison Private Limited.

Lunch? I suddenly started feeling nervous. Lunch with Marcus Harrison? I started feeling weird in my stomach, is it excitement or nervousness? I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before reopening them. Of course, lunch is good. I mean, it's not like we are going on a date, right? I thought. Date? But he's too old for you. A voice in my head said. I shook my head almost violently, why the hell I am thinking about that?!

I re-read his message. He didn't mention the mail I send him by mistake. Well, it's not like I want him to.

Mr. Harrison,

Yes sure. Meeting over lunch is fine with me.

Regards,

Charlotte McGill.

I replied to him. Within a matter of minutes, he replied.

Ms. McGill,

That's good. I will send my driver to pick you up at 1:45 sharp.

Regards,

Marcus Owen Harrison,
Senior Partner.
Harrison Private Limited.

Driver? I frowned. What? No? Why would he send his driver to pick me up? I thought while shaking my head in disagreement. I wrote another email to him.

Mr. Harrison,

There's no need for the driver. Thank you anyways but, I can be there by myself. Just tell me where I have to be.

Regards,

Charlotte McGill.

I send him the mail. I sighed and leaned back in the chair. I wasn't feeling nervous anymore. Maybe I'm getting used to talking to him? No, that's not possible, right? I mean we just sent each other a few emails, that can't be the reason for my comfort while talking to him. I sighed and saw a new message from him.

Ms. McGill,

I have to be somewhere at three tomorrow afternoon. I can't be late. I want you to be here at the exact time so we can discuss the matter in detail, and that can't happen if you'll waste the time while searching for the restaurant. Please accept my offer, it will be beneficial for both of us.

Regards,

Marcus Owen Harrison,
Senior Partner.
Harrison Private Limited.

Waste the time? Wow, blunt much. That's insulting. Beneficial for both of us? Well, I don't have to do anything useful unlike him after the meeting. I will watch the movie probably. I shrugged and wrote him yet another mail.

Mr. Harrison,

Okay. I will save you time. I will be ready by 1:45 pm. See you tomorrow.

Goodnight.

Regards,

Charlotte McGill.

Yes, I was a little angry. Maybe I'm being irrational but, I don't care. I waited for his reply for almost twenty minutes but, he didn't reply. Maybe he fell asleep? Or maybe he got offense over my mail? I frowned, why would he get offended? No, I'm overthinking. Maybe he fell asleep. It was 3:15 am after all. With a yawn, I shut down my computer. I should sleep too.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 4.2K 33
"That night was a mistake!" "The best mistake of my life!! " ___________________________________ Naomi Scarlett Johnson a young lady looking for a j...
4.6M 122K 59
(Completed) Carrying the bag pack, I run. I run from the man I love. The man who is the father of my unborn children. I brush past the security check...
1M 29.7K 49
Book #1 of "His & Hers" book trilogy Warning: Mature (18+) Content! #6 in Mafia 2022 #1 in Italianamerican 2022 #4 in Slowburn 2022 #1 in Hook-ups 20...
79.6K 3.1K 27
Anne McClure was a very bubbly, lively and clumsy girl, until she lost the only guy she had ever loved and her 8 year old sister in a car accident. S...