Marcus Harrison's Paradise

By symhere

BOOK TWO OF HARRISON SERIES. Charlotte McGill is sublimely good with children. She totally adores Kathie, Mar... More

Jobless
Chocolate Cupcakes
Do You Need A Nanny?
Left Or Right?
A Kiss Of Farewell
Ignoring Is An Art
The VIPs
Does The Offer Still Stand?
Emails
Lunch
First Day At Work
First Day At Work (Part II)
First Mistake
Overthinking
Meeting The New Harrison
Dinner With The Boss
Bothered
I Trust You
New Plans
Sick Boss-man
A New Feeling
Troubled Sunday
A Little Secret
That's Better
A Word Called 'Love'
Flashbacks
Welcome Party
I Can Do It, You Should Go
Trying To Tell Him Something
Happy Birthday, Kathie!
Don't Leave
Rollercoaster of Life
Fired
The Only Friend And Family
Not Him
I See You
Not Just You
Forgiveness
Hard To Be A Harrison
Mackie
Hangover
No One New
Scared
Monster
Meeting The Father
Sorry
Revenge
Promise
Things You Don't Know About Me
Traitor
Don't Go
Epilogue (The End)
Charlie's Utopia

An Uninvited Guest

17.5K 556 70
By symhere

Charlotte McGill.

A whole month went by and I still don't have a job. I'm two months behind my rent, bills are piling up. I hardly have money to survive for a month. I even used most of my savings to pay bills and one month's rent. Now I'm thinking I should probably sell my car as well because I'm unable to bear its expenses. I applied at the daycare center and many places for the post of a nanny but got rejected.

I just got accepted at a restaurant as I waitress, I didn't want to be a server again but, I guess I have to do that if I want a roof over my head and food in my stomach. I even applied at Portia's Art Museum as an assistant of Madam Portia LaRoché, world's famous painter, I thought I might be able to utilize my degree in arts, but I didn't receive any answer from them— so, now I only have one option left and that is to be a waitress.

I sighed and entered the restaurant named Lakeview Restaurant. I don't know why they named it 'Lakeview' if there isn't any lake around it. It was actually around the corner, with the view of heavy New York traffic. It was a small restaurant, with few people sitting around— enjoying their lunch. I walked towards the counter, a middle-aged man was standing behind it and playing with his cellphone. I cleared my throat to gain his attention, after a few seconds he lifts his gaze to looked at me. I smiled politely but, he didn't return it.

"Yes?" He replied boringly. Is this how they interact with their clients? Maybe that's why there aren't many people here.

"Hi. My name is Charlotte McGill, and I —"

"The new waitress?" The man rudely interrupted me, while rolling his eyes. I frowned and nodded my head. This man has no manners.

"Okay, go to the changing room, change, and start working. As you can see the people here are dying for your assistance." The man rolled his eyes. I frowned and look around to see the half-empty restaurant. I see how stupid sarcasm he tried to throw at me.

I sighed and tried to suppress my anger, "Listen, I just want to know where can I find the manager." I asked sternly.

He smirked and winked, "Ah! Feisty." He commented, "He's out for a few hours. He made me in charge till then, so beautiful, go change and start cleaning the tables." He ordered even more rudely.

"I think I'll wait for him. Thank you." I offered him a fake smile. He just rolled his eyes and resume typing on his phone.

After two hours and fifteen minutes, a cup of coffee and the most tasteless sandwich later, the manger was still wasn't here. During these two hours, hardly five to six people came in and I also noticed that the staff working here is ineligible and extremely rude. When I saw their website, I thought it would be one of the impressive restaurants in the town. It was as they described it as. Only if I knew the truth, I would've never applied here. After leaving a couple of dollars for a tip, I gathered my purse and left.

After coming back home, I took a much-needed shower and ate some leftovers from last night's dinner. Tomorrow I will go for job hunting, I had enough for today. With that thought, I switched on the TV and watched some documentary on worms. The documentary was so boring that it led me to sleep.

A shrill of my cellphone woke me up from a peaceful slumber. I rubbed my eyes and saw my cellphone ringing loudly on the coffee table. I sighed and answered it.

"Hey!" A cheerful voice of Maria answered.

"Hey." I sleepily greeted back.

"Were you sleeping?" She asked.

"Uh— yes, I was watching some documentary on worms and fell asleep while watching it." I said, "Pretty boring, I must say." I mumbled in the end.

"Oh. What about the waitress post you applied for? You got it, right?" She asked hopefully.

"Uh— yes and no," I replied.

"Huh? What do you mean by that?" She asked. I could hear some muffled voices in the background.

"Well, I got in but, when I went there the manager wasn't there, so I had to wait and in that time I came to realize that working at that place would be the worst thing happening to me," I answered.

She chuckled, "Why?" She asked. I could hear traffic noise from the background.

"I'll tell you later. Uh— are you with someone?" I asked her curiously.

"Oh yes, Silas." Of course, I thought. Stupid of me to ask. "I'm just coming from the doctor's appointment." She added.

Damn. I forgot about her appointment with Dr. Quinn, "How was it? What did she say? Anything important?" I attacked her with a series of questions.

She chuckled, "It was boring. Anyways, they now want me to try to walk without my crutches. My therapy starts next week." She said with a deep sigh, "I'm seriously tired of these therapies." She added lowly.

I know how much she had to suffer while the physiological therapy before. I remember her calling me in the middle of the night— I remember how much she used to cry and say that she's unable to any more pain, that she's quitting. My heart still aches when I think about it. But Maria is a very strong woman, she didn't give up. I seriously idolize her.

"I'm here for you. You know that, right? And I don't like those crutches. They are annoying. And you look ugly with them, so we have to kick them out!" I tried to brighten up her mood.

"Yes, I know." She laughed, "Hey! Are you free tonight?" She questioned suddenly.

"Yeah, what do you think I'll be doing? It's not like I have some job or something." I replied with a sigh.

"Great! Then come with us! We are going to Marcus's place tonight for dinner. It's like a family gets together." Maria replied excitedly. Marcus? My heart flipped a little when she mentioned him.

"Wha— I can't come. I'm not invited." I excused. I can't just show up uninvited. And anyway, I should stay away from Marcus and Kathryn, the more I'll see them, the more I'll attach with them— her— Kathryn.

"Oh come on! I'm sure Marcus won't mind. Also, you can meet Kathryn! I know how much you love her." She said. I sighed and smiled, that I do. But, still, it's not appropriate to go there, he's practically a stranger to me.

"Maria, I don't think so. I think I'll stay at home." I said.

"Urgh! Come on, Charlotte—" Maria's frustrated voice was changed with Silas's amused one, "Hey Charlie! Silas's here. I'm driving and I can't talk long to convince you. So, we'll pick you up at seven. And don't worry— Marcus would love to have you there. I know my brother. See you tonight." He said quite hastily.

"Uh— Silas, no— listen." I tried to talk to him but, I couldn't, as Maria was back on call.

"Come on, Charlie! You heard Silas, we'll have fun. Please?" She pleaded.

Me? At Marcus's house? Uninvited? Not so good idea. But then, Kathryn will be there too, and meeting her, holding her in my arms and playing with her— is a very good idea.

I sighed, "Okay." I replied unsurely.

"Yes! Okay, we'll pick you up at seven." Maria beamed.

I chuckled, "We? As in Silas and you? Aren't you being with him a little too much? I mean it's not like you are not his girlfriend or wife, so I was just—" I teased her.

"Yeah – yeah, whatever. Bye!" She laughed before cutting off the call. I chuckled and threw my phone on the couch carelessly.

I sighed deeply, "Kathryn." I smiled.

By seven o'clock I was ready. I wore a full black jumpsuit with a golden jewel belt around my waist. I tied my hair up in a high ponytail. I also applied a little amount of makeup. I looked myself in the mirror for the hundredth time and sighed, "I'm overdressed, aren't I?" I asked Maria, who was sitting at the edge of my bed, throwing glazes at me.

Well, for the past ten minutes, she has been sitting there answering my insecure questions. Am I looking okay? Is this dress too much? Should I change it? Should I darken my lipstick? Or maybe lighten it? I don't know why am I so nervous? Maybe, because I'm going to Marcus's house as an uninvited guest.

She groaned at my question, "Seriously, Charlotte? You look perfect, as I said the last ten times you asked me." She answered and stood up from the bed, "Come on let's go. Silas is waiting for us." She said while dragging me out of my room.

After driving for about twenty minutes, Silas finally stopped in front of the most luxurious building I have seen in my life. I hardly ever came to this part of the town. I look upon the building and it was huge. I gulp and stepped out of the car. I straightened my suit and fixed the belt. I ran my fingers through my straight hair. I don't have any idea why I am so conscious about my look, it's not like Kathryn's going to judge me on how I look.

I heard Maria chuckling. I twirled my head to see her shaking her head. "What?" I asked her.

"Oh! Nothing. Come on, let's go." She said while dragging me towards the main entrance.

"I hope Marcus made his famous steak, tonight," Maria said hopefully after ringing the bell of Marcus's penthouse, while Silas just chuckled.

I frowned, "Marcus can cook?" I blurted out a little too loud. Silas and Maria both looked at me— at the same time. Why did I do that? I cleared my throat and looked away from both of them, as I blushed from embarrassment. Thankfully I was saved by someone opening the door.

"Late! As always you two—" Marcus opened the door with a grin but stopped as soon as he saw me, even his grin fell. Did I upset him with my presence? Should I leave? I bit my lip and looked at Maria to say something.
"Hey, Mac!!" Maria greeted cheerfully and embraced him in a tight hug, which he returned happily, he chuckled at her enthusiasm, but this whole time his gaze was fixed with mine. I bit my lip and offered him a small smile, which he didn't return. I felt my heart sinking. Why did I come here? What was I thinking? It's best to leave before I embarrass myself in front of anyone.

Maria pulled herself away from him when Silas lunged towards his brother, "Bro!!" He said in a high pitch voice, mimicking Maria. Maria rolled her eyes and slap Silas's arm. While Marcus pushes his brother back, muttering a low "Shut up", but all this time Marcus was glancing at me. He opened the door wider for us to enter, or maybe just Silas and Maria to enter. I looked at Marcus who was smiling at something Maria said. Should I leave? Or not?

"I asked Charlie to tag along with me, I hope you don't mind," Maria said while entering in, following Silas. Marcus's gaze traveled towards me, making my heartbeat unacceptably fast. My feet jammed, even after Maria and Silas went inside— arguing over something. I stayed at my place, not even moving an inch.

I opened my mouth to say something, maybe to apologize for coming at his place unannounced, but before I could say anything he cut me off, "Welcome Ms. McGill, it's good to have you here. Please come in, I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable. I was just— surprised." He chuckled and moved away, making way for me to enter.

To say I was surprised would be an understatement. I didn't expect him to say that. I open and close my mouth like a dying fish, but couldn't say a word. Finally, I gave up and offered him a small nervous smile instead— while entering in.

"Sorry to show up unannounced." I was finally able to say. He smiled and closed the door behind me.

"No problem, Ms. McGill." He said while smiling. I smiled back genuinely, as my nervousness died down. Maybe he's not that bad, maybe I presumed wrong about him, maybe it is just his intimating personality, or maybe his hard professional look— that makes him look scary.

Suddenly I was eager to see Kathryn, to hold her, to play with her— to spend some time with her. I look around the luxurious penthouse, not even appreciating the beautiful interior — my mind was just on Kath at the moment. I bit my lip when I saw Maria, Silas, two unfamiliar faces, and oh— Melissa, but I didn't see Kathryn. My shoulder sunk in disappointment. Where is she?

"She's — she's taking a nap. Why don't you come in?" Marcus answered my thought or— Oh my God, did I say it aloud? I twirl my head to look at him staring me. He smiled and walked past me. I sighed and shook my head.

"Hey beautiful," A masculine voice startled me. I gasped and turned around to see a handsome man standing right behind me, with a smirk on his face. He was good looking, why does all Harrison's look this handsome? Or if he's even a 'Harrison'. All right, let me rephrase — why does everyone related to Silas and Marcus is this good looking?

"H—Hi." I shuttered and offered a small smile while backing a few steps away from him. He was literally in my personal space.

"Hello princess." I cringed at the nickname, "I'm Joseph— and you are?" He said while presenting his hand forward. I look at his hand and then at his face.

"Don't worry, Sugarpie. My hands are clean." He added with a chuckled. Without embarrassing myself further, I shook my hand with him.

"I'm Char—Charlotte," I replied in a small voice. That's why I don't like to meet new people, I always end up embarrassing myself in front of them.

"Nice to meet you, Char—Charlotte." He smirked and kissed my knuckle, causing me to shiver. "Can I call you Char—Char?" He asked while stepping closer. Is he serious?

But before I could say anything Marcus walked in and lightly push Joseph away from me, "All right Joe, that's enough for tonight. Maria's asking for you. Go." Marcus said while pushing him towards where everyone was seated. They all were so much into talking that no one even noticed me standing here.

Joe frowned and looked towards Maria, who was laughing at something Melissa said, "Bro, I don't think she's —"

"Yes, she is. Now go." Marcus cut him off and pushed him towards Maria.

"Okay! Okay! I'm going." He said to Marcus, then he winked at me and said, "I'll be back in a moment, Char—Char." He smirked while walking towards where everyone was seated, but he stopped midway and turned around, "Hey Char—Char!" He called out my name loudly, everyone stopped talking and looked at us, I could even feel Marcus's eyes on me— but I didn't dare to look at him. Seriously Joseph? It's not like he's far away from me— maybe a few feet away. "Did I tell you that you are beautiful?" He added loudly, causing everyone to groan, I even saw Maria roll her eyes. I blushed, mashed my lips together, and tried not to meet anyone's eyes. I even heard someone grunting, 'Not again.' Joseph chuckled and winked before walking towards everyone.

"Sorry about that." I heard Marcus muttering before turning around and walking away, not even giving me a chance to say anything.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

96.5K 7.5K 43
Kid Shelly loves working with children. Perhaps it's because of her odd name, but she's always wanted to teach children and show them the love of Jes...
355K 11.2K 46
Book 2 of The Sampson's Legacy CAN BE READ AS A STAND ALONE! It was his turn. It was his time to take on the family corporation. To sit behind the sa...
153K 21.4K 70
A flirty bartender entraps two men, an average guy and a billionaire. She's sought after by both men, who desire her. Madison Hart is outspoken, dete...