The Daughter of Time (Ace of...

By marcyswales17

Ace of Queen series. Maya Dorin's story More

Ch.1 Steal a Glimpse
Ch.2 Angel
Ch.3 Life's a beach
Ch.4 Ink
Ch.5 What's your name?
Ch.6 Tigress
Ch.7 Sweet Baby
Ch.8 Brown Eyed Devil
Ch.9 The King
Ch.10 Sand and Time
Ch.11 For Hire
Ch.12 Three Full Moons
Ch.13 Chef's Kiss
Ch.14 Family
Ch.15 Derailed
Ch.16 Granddaughter
Ch.17 Creating Chaos
Ch.18 Gemini Blues
Ch.19 Lie to Me
Ch.20 Bleeding heart
Ch.21 Mati
Ch.22 Aphros
Ch.23 My Fiza
Ch.24 Never be Enough
Ch.25 You're home....
Ch.26 When you're in love
Ch.27 Home in You
Ch.28 Little things
Ch.29 Olives
Ch.30 If I had a soul....
Ch.31 Sugarless
Ch.32 Boundaries
Ch.33 Good News
Ch.34 A Whole New World
Ch.35 Three Wishes
Ch.36 Tyveer
Ch.38 Ira
Ch. 39 White Tiger
Ch.40 A Promise
Ch.41 See no evil, Hear no evil
Ch.42 The temple of Apollo
Ch.43 A Good Man
Ch.44 Thetis
Ch.45 Time Keeper
Ch.46 Selfish
Ch.47 A family Man
Ch.48 Nura
CH.49 Three
Ch.50 Heal
Ch.50 Flames
Ch.52 Clare Bear
Ch.53 Shooting Stars
Ch. 54 Comet
Epilogue

Ch.37 Bells of Hell

10.8K 784 540
By marcyswales17

Chapter 37

Heyder watched helplessly as jinns in brass armor dragged Maya away. Her fey magic flared up like a ball of raging fire, but all the brass around her was starting to drain Maya of her strength. She tried to leap through the little openings between the jinn and run toward Heyder, but they caught her and tied her hands behind her back.

"Maya!" Heyder called to her. "Zubair! Stop!"

"We can not turn a blind eye to this, Heyder," the old man said. "Fey's are dangerous."

"She would never hurt you!" Heyder pleaded, earning a snort from Mirza who was being treated by Zubair's daughter Hafsa.

"Let her go," Heyder demanded. He pushed with all this strength to get out of Zubair's hold. But the jinn's magic was older and stronger. Like Ali had said, next to the Tyveer Heyder and he were children.

"We're doing this for the good of our people," Zubair said as he slowly walked up to Heyder. "Leave one Fey alive and they will rise and conquer."

"You are delusional if you think I will let you lay a finger on her," Heyder said through his teeth. "She will burn you all to the ground."

"You will stay out of this," Zubair said calmly as he pulled out a pair of thick brass cuffs and placed each one around Heyder's wrists.

"What are you doing?" Heyder tried to fight him off.

"Ensuring you won't interfere with tonight's event."

Heyder felt the cool metal against his skin. It was as if Zubair had tied ice around the jinn's wrists. The sudden weight that came over Heyder left him feeling heavy and dull. His muscles ached as his magic moved out of reach.

Zubair turned to the Tyveer with the deep voice, "Maaz, take him to Ira's quarters."

Maaz bowed his head slightly. He walked over to Heyder and gently grabbed his arm.

"Let's go," he said.

"Get off of me!" Heyder shoved him off. "Where did you take Maya?"

"Heyder," Maaz sighed. "Listen and do as you are told......for once in your life."

"Maaz," Heyder took a deep breath. "Listen to me. I have to get to Maya. I love her. With every part of my heart and being I love her. And if anything happens to her, I will forget all my vows and ties and tear this place apart brick by brick, life by life."

Maaz suddenly grabbed Heyder once more. He snapped his fingers and the two stumbled into a large bedroom. Heyder's nose was instantly filled with his mother's perfume. He shook his head and climbed out his feet. The brass cuffs around his wrists sparkled in the low candle light.

"Maaz!" Heyder said to the man. "Don't hurt her. She's innocent. She would never hurt a soul."

"You still haven't learned your please and thank yous, have you?" Maaz shook his head as he stared at the young jinn with disapproval.

"Do you want me to beg you?" Heyder asked desperately. "I will. I'll beg Zubair or anyone else you tell me too. Just let her go.......please. Please, Just let her go."

"Heyder," Maaz rubbed his face. "You don't realize what you have done. Zubair is not going to let the girl live. He's already called in every jinn to court."

"This is a dumb move," Heyder shook his head. He tried desperately to reach his magic but the brass locked him out. "Do you have any idea what her family will do? Zubair is inviting war onto our people."

"Why did you bring her here?"

"No one was supposed to see her!" Heyder yelled. "We were going to be in and out in five minutes! Mirza knew we were coming. He dragged Zubair down to mother's library."

"How did Mirza know you were coming?" Maaz raised a brow.

"I think I'm starting to have an idea," Heyder's eyes darkened.

"It doesn't matter anymore," Maaz said. "Zubair and the rest of us would have eventually learned about her."

"Don't hurt her," Heyder said once more. It was almost as if it was all he could say. "Please......Please, don't hurt her."

Maaz's eyes softened just a bit. Unlike his brother Zubair, he was the kindest and most reasonable. Heyder had always admired him and knew Maaz had a weak spot for Ira's children. After all, Maaz had always been in love with Ira.

"I love her," Heyder pushed. "For centuries. Mirza has placed the curse of the noia on us. I never have enough time with her.....please don't cut it short."

"Heyder, she's a fey!" Maaz groaned. "It would never work between the two of you. She can lahs out any minute and kill you."

"She won't," Heyder shook his head. "Her Fey magic has never intentionally touched me. She loves me. She won't admit it, but I know she loves me."

Maaz shifted his weight. He looked over his shoulder to the closed door.

"I'm being called to the hall," he said. "Stay here."

"Maaz!" Heyder rushed forward. "Save her. Please......"

The man's gaze fell on the despracy of Heyder's eyes. He took in a deep breath and patted his shoulder.

"Let me see what I can do," Maaz said. "Until then, stay in here. Stay out of trouble."

But of course Heyder didn't listen. As soon as Maaz had left, he tried to leave the room. When he discovered the door was locked, he ran out to the balcony and looked down at the other one below him. Carefully, he climbed over the railing and dropped down to the balcony below. He pushed the door open and walked into the attached room.

"Heyder"! Hafsa jumped up from where she had been sitting in front of the mirror. Upon seeing the jinn, her cheeks blushed as she tucked her long black hair behind her ears.

"What...what are you doing here?" she asked.

"I'm not here for you," Heyder snapped. He paid no mind to hurt the look in her eyes as he stormed out through her doors and raced down the halls. Behind him, he heard Hafas start yelling for the guards. Knowing he had limited time, he dashed through the familiar turns and corners until he arrived at the cellars.

Heyder grabbed a robe from the nearby coat rack by the door and pulled it on. He lowered his head and hid his face behind his hands as he zigzagged through the many people lingering round discussing Maya. everytime he heard her name in passing, his heart stumbled.

Finally, once Heyder reached the lower cellar, he knew exactly where Maya was being held. The little cell had the most guards positioned in front of it. Heyder hid behind a pillar and peeked out to count how many there were all together. He looked for all the advantage points and summed up a plan of attack. Just as he was about to step out of the shadows and run towards them, a hand pulled him back.

"You monkey!" Ali hissed. "You got brass on your hands! You think you're gonna take out twelve guards without your magic?"

"Fourteen," Heyder corrected him.

"What? Fourteen? That's a strange number," Ali peeked around the columb.

"You heard?" Heyder asked as he looked too.

"Yeah, I heard," Ali snorted. "Every jinn on this planet has heard."

"I need to get Maya out of here," Heyder counted the guards again.

"Yeah, about that...." Ali hesitated. "How? Everyone's eyes are on her right now."

"I don't know how!" Heyder said. "I just need to get my girl out of there."

"You can't rush in without a plan," Ali pulled Heyder back. "Zubair loves you but not that much. He will kill you with her."

"So be it,"

"Oh hello, Romeo," Ali snapped his fingers. "Ain't nobody got time for this."

"Fuck off, Ali."

Heyder was about to jump out and attack the guards when Ali grabbed his collar and transported him back to his mother's room. Heyder groaned loudly in irritation. He was about to jump off the balcony again when Maaz pulled him back with his magic.

"You idiot boy!" He yelled. "What do you think you are doing?"

"I am not going to sit around and wait for you to kill her!" Heyder tried again only to be pulled back.

"Do you not realize there is no place on earth safe for her anymore?" Maaz asked. "Zubair and the whole court has seen her face. If you take her away from the veil, they will find her in the world outside."

Heyder stilled. His heart dropped and his mind began to spin. Maaz was right....there would be no place safe for Maya. The thought of Exton, Gemma, Adeline and the rest of the family laying dead on the floor sent shivers down Heyder's spin. Maya would be crushed if anything ever happened to her family.

"Heyder," Maaz put his hand on Heyder's shoulder. "There really is no other way this night can end."

The dread in the man's words echoed in Heyder's hollow chest. He felt like a complete failure. This time was supposed to be different. He was supposed to break the curse this time around.....they were supposed to be a family. But once again history was repeating itself. He was losing Maya.

But unlike the others, Heyder couldn't picture his life without her anymore. She was the soul he had been searching for his whole life.....without her, there was nothing.

"There might be a way," Ali quietly spoke from behind the two men.

Maaz was the first to turn around, "Excuse me?"

"We might be able to stop the execution," Ali said.

"How?" Heyder turned to his oldest friend.

"You see just the other day Margo and I were talking about getting married which led me to read the Tyveer pillars of laws. According to the seventeenth pillar, a non jinn spouse earns all the rights and protections of the Tyveer court once they are legally married."

"What are you saying?" Maaz asked.

"I'm saying that the only way to save Maya and to ensure the Tyveer will never go after her would be for Heyder to......marry her."

"What?" Heyder asked, narrowing his eyes.

"Yes, yes," Ali nodded his head. The more he thought about it, the more his idea made sense. "If Maya becomes your wife, she will wear your mark and gain all the rights and protection. If she wears your mark, it will be against the rules of the court of any jinn to harm her. Zubair won't be able to touch her without breaking his own laws."

"He can kill her if she does any harm," Maaz said. "Mirza could press charges for his burnt shoulder."

"He attacked her!" Heyder said. "It was self defense."

Ali nodded his head as if he was present at the earlier gathering.

"I think this will work," he said.

"It could," Maaz agreed. "Zubair is a man of law and order. He will never break his own laws."

"Okay," Heyder said at once. He leaped forward and started to go through his mother's dresser. He didn't stop until he reached her jewelry box and pulled out a random ring.

"We don't have much time," Maaz said. "The sun is already setting."

"Ali," Heyder turned to his friend. "Take this to Maya. and tell her to just trust me. I will get her out of here."

Ali nodded as he took the ruby ring from his friend and vanished out of the room.

_____________________________

Maya paced the floors of the tiny cellar. She was a ball of raw energy that had no release. The fey magic was trapped under her skin, but the brass around her hands wouldn't allow her to touch any part of her gifts. She tried again and again to open her mind-link to Heyder but it was all in vain.

The guards standing outside watched her suspiciously. All of their large brass swords shimmered with magic. Maya knew they would not wait for Zubair if she pulled anything. Her head would be rolling around on the floor in an instant.

Through the little window above her head, the last few rays of sunlight started to vanish. With every inch of light that disappeared out of the room, Maya's heart beated a little quicker. She struggled with the brass cuffs around her wrists and tried to pull them off. At one point she even considered breaking one of her wrists to see if maybe the cuff would come off. But then if it didn't, what would she do with a broken wrist?

As Maya sat on the floor struggling to take off the cuffs, the brass gate behind her rattled. She looked over her shoulder and spotted a very familiar face.

"Ali!" Maya jumped to her feet and threw her arms around the jinn. She surprised herself when a little stream of tears rolled down her eyes. "Is Heyder okay?"

"No, he's a wreck," Ali said as he patted Maya's head. "But he has asked me to ask you to marry him."

"What?" Maya pulled back to make sure she heard correctly.

Ali pulled out a ring from his pocket. Maya's eyes widened in shock as she started at the jinn and then at the other jinn behind Ali.

"Oh, that Maaz," Ali said. "He's one of the good guys."

"Ali," Maya looked back at the ring. "What?"

"We don't have time to explain all the details," Ali said. "You need to marry Heyder tonight if you want to walk out of here alive."

"I.....what.....marry him?" Maya felt breathless. She started at the ring as her breathing labored.

"Maya, if there was any other way, we would be going in that route," Ali said with urgency. "Put this ring on. Marry Heyder and then we will deal with everything once we are out of here."

"Marry him?" Maya asked once more in disbelief.

"Yes, Woma!" Ali took Maya's hand and slipped the ring onto her ring finger. "Oh look, it's a perfect fit."

"Ali...." Maya's head was spinning out of control.

Before Ali could speak, one of the guards stepped into the cellar. Maaz stepped out of the way as the guard looked at Maya.

"We have to bring you upstairs," he said.

"Ali," Maya turned to the jinn.

"It'll work," Ali said as the guard started to pull Maya away. "Just let Heyder do all the talking."

Maya felt as if she was nowhere in her body. She moved along with the guards in a daze, moving through the magnificent halls with everyone's eyes on her. They led her into the grand hall once more before presenting her in front of the men and women in beige robe. From the corner of her eyes, she saw someone move forward and then stop. Maya turned her head and realized it was Heyder. He had taken a step towards her but Ali was holding him back.

"Zubair," Heyder called to the jinn with the white beard. "You can not do this."

"The Tyveer court has made a vow to protect its people from the dang-" Zubair ignored Heyder.

"She's going to be my wife!" Heyder said suddenly. "I'm going to marry her."

"He's lying," Mira took a step forward.

"Check her hand," Heyder said to his brother. "Not you specifically because I'll kill you if you touch her. But anyone else, check her hand. She's wearing my mother's ring."

Zubair looked to his daughter. Hafsa gave a small nod before she moved towards Maya standing in the middle of the room. Maya watched the beautiful tall girl timidly walk towards her with watchful green eyes. Once she was close enough, Maya lifted her left hand to show the ruby ring she wore.

"There," Heyder said. "I have asked her to marry me. You can not touch her."

"You have not married her yet," Zubair narrowed his eyes. "She is still a foreigner on our land."

"You can not stop me from marrying her," Heyder took a step forward.

"And why not?" Zubair challenged.

"Because you will be disobeying the gods," Ali jumped in. "Heyder was shown the future. Maya is his wife and they will have a child together."

Zubair turned his eyes from Heyder to the jinn behind him. A low murmur erupted in the crowd as Mirza let out a little growl.

"I have proof," Ali said. Maya held her breath as she watched the jinn present Zubair a sketch pad. "These are the images Heyder was shown. Look.....look at their child."

Ali held the book out and let Zubair get an eyeful of the laughing sketch of Heyden. He held the book up and let all the other Tyveer see. After some time, Zubair took the book and began to flip through the images.

"The gods want this union," Ali said. "If you kill her tonight, you will be inviting the god's wrath."

Zubair stayed silent. He had reached the page that held the sketch of the battlefield Clare had shown Heyder. He studied the image closely before looking up.

"What is this?" He asked.

"That's your future," Heyder said. "The god's wrath."

Heyder watched the shift in Zubair's eyes.if there was one thing Heyder knew how to do well it was to manipulate with words. And with Ali's grand speech and Clare's visions, it wasn't too difficult to have the jinn believing the war to come was all this fault.

"And she is a part of this?" Zubair asked, raising a brow.

"Yes," Heyder gave a nod. "Trust me, you will want her one your side when the war comes."

"How do I know these are real?" Zubair closed the book. "How do I know you didn't just draw them as fantasy."

"I can show you," Heyder said. "Look into my mind and watch my memory. You will see everything."

"It's a trick," Mirza spoke up. "Don't believe him."

"The boy is letting you into his mind, Zubair," Maaz said. "It's worth a look."

Everyone in the hall held their breath. Maya didn't know what to think or do as she stood around watching the strange happenings around her. She felt her head begin to sway as Zubair took a step closer to Heyder. She too held her breath as the old man reached out and placed his palm over Heyder's forehead.

In front of Maya, Ali looked over at her and gave her a small nod. He told her to be patient and hold on as Heyder and Zubair stood around still as rocks. Mirza had started to fume. He marched up to Maaz and whispered something to the old man. Maaz remained unmoved and when Mirza saw, he moved onto the next Tyveer.

From the corner of her eyes, Maya watched Zubair take a step back. His green eyes flickered to Maya and then back to Heyder.

"The little girl.....?" Zubair raised a brow.

"You don't want to mess with that little girl, trust me," Heyder said, knowing very well Zubair had seen Clare while checking his memories from the day in the hospital room.

"So it's true," Zubair said, rubbing his white beard. "You will father a child with her."

"Yes," Heyder said. "And Maybe, just maybe our fey jinn child will forgive you for keeping his mother in brass cuffs."

"Zubair," Mirza rushed up to the old man. "Do not fall for his tricks. He's only proposing marriage because he knows the laws won't allow us to touch her. She is dangerous! She is a fey!"

"How long have you known that, Mirza?" Maaz raised a brow. "How long have you known that Maya had Fey magic in her?"

"Why does that matter?" Mirza snapped.

"It does," Ali said. "If you knew for a while and didn't report it, wouldn't that be a ...... crime?"

"You knew too, Ali," Mirza said.

"But I was unconscious in a hospital recovering," he said. "I was in no state to come to the veil to report anything."

"Enough," Zubair took in a deep breath. "Under the Tyveer law, we can not let a fey live once we have knowledge of its existence."

Maya felt her heart sink.

"However, because Heyder......wants to marry this girl and the gods will it.......I will allow this marriage to proceed."

Both Ali and Heyder sighed a breath of relief.

"But....the wedding must take place tonight," Zubair said. "If she is to leave the veil, she will leave as Heyder's wife. Hafsa, prepare the bride."

Suddenly, the brass cuffs from around Maya's hands fell off. The tall girl turned towards her and offered her a hand. Maya's eyes flickered up to Heyder.

"It's okay," he gave her a nod. "Go with her."

"Come," Hafsa said gently.

Maya allowed the girl to lead her out of the hall. Her heart still beat wildly in her chest, but her fey magic was laying low letting her know she wasn't in any immediate danger. She followed the tall girl into a large bedroom and then into the bathroom. Maya watched as the girl snapped her fingers and the tub filled.

"Take your close off," Hafsa said looking over her shoulder.

Maya didn't move. She stared at the jinn not knowing what to do and feeling completely out of character and place. After a few minutes, Hafsa sighed and walked over to where Maya stood.

"Smile," she said looking into Maya's face. "You're getting married today. To Heyder."

Maya felt herself sway. The jinn lifted her arms up into the air and pulled off the sweater she was swearing. Tossing it aside, Hafsa moved onto removing the rest of Maya's clothes.

"Rose water," Hfsa said as she helped Maya into the bath. "It's traditional for brides."

Maya looked down at the rose petals floating around. When she looked up, Hasfa was waiting for her with a rob. For the next several minutes, Maya had no idea what was happening. Hafsa applied many perfumes and dyes onto her and explained the significance behind each and every single one of them, but Maya's mind was miles away.

How would her parents react, Maya wondered. Her father would be mad. Was she really about to do this? Was there really no other way?

Heyder.

She was about to....

Maya suddenly looked up as Hafsa adjusted the head jewelry on Maya's head.

"I'm getting married," she said.

"Yes," Hafsa laughed. "You are getting married."

"Oh my god," Maya suddenly leaped up from her seat. She caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror and began to panic. "I look like Fiza!"

"What?" Hafsa asked in confusion as she stared at the girl in the red wedding dress. "You look beautiful."

"Oh my god," Maya hugged herself as she sank to the floor. The large skirt she wore poofed around her as she covered her face and began to rock back and forth.

"You'll ruin your eye makeup," Hafsa said. "Get up!"

"I'm getting married!" Maya looked up at the girl. "I need a minute. Oh my god, my dad is going to kill me!"

Ali, Hafsa opened her mind-link. This girl is losing it.

Heyder is on his way, Ali responded right away.

No! He can't see the bride before the wedding.

"Maya!" Heyder began to knock on the door. "Maya, open the door."

"No!" Hafsa protested. "You can't see the bride."

"Open the fuckin' door, Hafsa!" Heyder bangeed onced more.

"Heyder!" Maya called as she began to rise from the floor. "I'm getting married."

Hafsa looked over at Maya as she stumbled and tripped on her wedding dress. Maya tried to reach the door by Hafsa grabbed her and held her back.

"Let go of me!" Maya tried to fight her off, but the brass cuffs had drained her. She felt as if she was living with one percent charge. Her arms felt heavy, her head buzzed, and the heavy wedding dress did nothing to help.

"Hafsa, don't hurt her," Heyder said. "Let her come."

"I'm going to call my dad if you don't leave," Hafsa threatened. "You can't see the bride."

"Okay, okay," Heyder banged his head against the door. "But I can talk to her right? Let me talk to her."

Hafsa looked down at Maya in her arms. She pushed against the floor with her magic and brought the lifeless bride to the edge of the door.

"Maya," Heyder's voice instantly grew gentle. "Listen to me. We will figure this out, okay. I love you. I love you so much. I will never let anything happen to you."

"Heyder," Maya felt her eyes water.

"Yes, Birdie?"

"You're not like my dad," Maya sniffled. The small sound, along with the words made Heyder's heart flinch. He pressed himself closer to the door and sank down to sit on the floor.

"You're not like Owen," Maya's voice shook. "And you're definitely not like Paws."

"I know," Heyder hung his head.

"You could never love me like them," Maya continued. "But I.....I don't want you to."

Heyder remained silent. He had nothing to say as Maya sat on the other side of the door crying.

"When....when we get out of here," Maya moved closer to the door. "I want you to love me the way you want to. The way only you can."

"I will," Heyder nodded. "I promise, Birdie."

"Heyder?"

"Yes, birdie?"

"I don't feel so good,"

"What's wrong?" Heyder sat up straight with concern. "Hafsa, is she okay?"

"She's fine," Hafsa said. "She's just drained from the cuffs. Now get out of here."

Maya had no more energy left in her. She felt Hafsa pull her up to her feet and then drape a red veil over her head. Once everything was in place, the jinn opened the door and walked Maya to the hall.

Through the sheer veil, Maya watched the crowd part. Everyone was silent and stole glances at her as Hafsa moved her down the aisle. At the end, Maya spotted Heyder in a dark shirt that buttoned up all the way to this neck. Around the sleeves, gold designs moved down to give the illusion of vines. As Maya walked closer, she realized there were red roses embroidered in between the gold vines. She lifted her gaze and found the jinn watching her.

I won't let anything happen to you, Heyder opened their links.

His brown eyes moved up and down Maya's body as she slowly walked towards him in the red wedding dress. The hall was silent as the night. The only sounds that could be heard came from the bangles that moved on Maya's wrists.

Hafsa walked Maya all the way up to where Heyder stood in front of Zubair. She placed the girl's hand in the jinns and took a step back.

"Hold onto her tight," she whispered. "I think she might pass out."

Heyder nodded. He gripped Maya's hand and hooked an arm around her. Pulling her up to his side, he started to constantly push his magic into her.

"Heyder," Maya looked up, her voice a whisper.

"Yes, my love?" Heyder looked down at her through the veil.

"We're getting married."

"Yes," Heyder said. The ghost of a smile appeared on the jinn's lips.

"I think I'm dreaming," Maya said.

"Shall we begin?" Zubair cleared his throat. Heyder turned away from Maya and nodded his head.

Zubair sprinkled a mixture of rose water, sandalwood, and holy basil onto the couple from a little golden jar. He then took Maya's right wrist and cleared the skin with a silk cloth. Heyder held his breath as Maaz stepped forward with a large book in his arms. From it he began to read aloud the meaning of marriage and union.

Beside Heyder, Maya was starting to feel like herself once more. Heyder hadn't stopped healing her and with every passing second she grew more and more alert.

"Maya, daughter of Exton and Gemma. Do you take Heyder, son of Elvan and Ira, to be your and only your for as long as it takes for the last star to burn out?"

Maya leaned towards Heyder, "Do I say I do, or yes?"

"Say anything," Heyder whispered.

Maaz cleared his throat.

"I....I do," Maya gripped Heyder's hand.

"You have to say it three times," Maaz whispered.

"I do......" Maya looked over at Heyder. "I do......I do."

"Heyder, son of Elvan and Ira. Do you take Maya, daughter of Exton and Gemma to be yours and only your for as long as it takes the last star to burn out?"

"I do, I do, I do," Heyder said looking into Maya's eyes.

"You may now mark your wife," Zubair, who had been holding Maya's hand, passed it along to Heyder.

Maya held her breath. He tried to tug her hand back, but the old man wouldn't let go. He held on firmly until Heyder took it.

"Heyder...." Maya's heart began to race.

"Trust me.....please," Heyder begged quietly.

Maya bit down on her bottom lip as she watched Heyder pull the sleeve of his shirt back. The skin of his wrist began to glow as a triangular design started to shine. With slight hesitation, Heyder brought the glowing mark down upon Maya's wrist.

The same feeling of being healed over took Maya. she felt her body buzz with bliss and warmth as Heyder held his wrist down on her. He lifted his brown gaze and watched her as the blue of Maya's eyes rippled.

"You may lift the veil of your wife," Maaz said with a smile as he closed the book.

Heyder let go of Maya's hand at once. She looked down and gasped when her eyes caught the triangular mark on her skin. As she looked up, Heyder slowly took a step forward and lifted her veil.

But before Maya could react or say anything, Zubair took her hand and Heyder's hand. He turned to the crowd and held up their identical marks.

"Husband and wife," he declared.

Ali was the first one to throw the handful of flower petals he had been holding. Hafsa beside him did the same and pretty soon the whole crowd threw up the flowers in celebration of the couple.

"Congratulations," Maaz shook Heyder's hand. He took Maya's head and placed a kiss on her forehead.

"Congratulations," Zubair said. He too repeated Maaz's actions.

From the corner of his eyes, Heyder watched Mirza approach them. Instantly he moved closer to Maya and shielded her from his brother.

"Don't even think about touching her," Heyder warned.

"I'm only here to congratulate you, little brother," Mirza smirked. "Finally a married man."

"Yes, now leave. And I'll deal with your little friend once I'm out of here."

Mirza's eyes grew dark. Maya felt herself move closer to Heyder as the other jinn leaned in closer.

"You did not win," Mirza whispered. "I will never let you win."

"Get. Out." Heyder said through his teeth.

Mirza suddenly smiled like a wild cat. He turned towards the crowd and clapped his hands to gather everyone's attention.

"My brother is married!" He announced. "Yes, we have had our differences but things are different now. Heyder, you deserve everything that's coming to you. Let's all toast to that."

Maya and Heyder watched as everyone raised their cups. Ali sat his down on the table and frowned.

"How about a kiss?" Mirza asked.

Heyder stilled beside Maya. she felt his body go rigid as her own spine shivered.

"Come on Heyder," Mirza laughed. "Kiss your bride. Don't be shy."

"Mirza, that's enough," Heyder tried to take Maya's hand and walk away.

"Come on everybody," Mirza called out to the crowd. "Who wants to see the newly weds kiss?"

Suddenly everyone cheered. To Maya and Heyder, it sounded like the bells of hell. They turned away and tried to rush down the stairs.

"Come one Heyder," Zubair said. "Kiss your bride."

"No," Heyder shook his head.

"Why not?" Mirza gasped. "Was this marriage a trick? Do you not love each other?"

"Mirza, stop," Heyder began to buzz. His eyes flickered silver and he took a step toward his brother.

Maya stumbled back a step as she looked around with worry. Her eyes caught the looks on all the Tyveer's faces. She could see them questioning why the groom would not kiss his bride. As Heyder and Maya faced off, she started to sense the shift in the room. Everyone, including Zubair, was starting to question Heyder's motives. And as the wheels in their heads turned, the fey magic in Maya stated to rise up.

"Heyder," Zubair narrowed his eyes. "What is the matter? You were begging to marry her just moments ago and now you won't kiss her?"

The fey magic was right under Maya's skin. She was scared if anyone looked close enough they might see it moved under her skin. She knew she had to act fast as she watched the green of Zubair's eyes melt away to silver.

"Kiss the bride, brother," Mirza pushed.

Heyder's hands balled into fists. He was about to take a step towards Mirza when Maya suddenly grabbed his arm and pulled him back. Heyder looked back at her in surprise as she pushed up to her tippy toes and pulled his mouth down to hers.

Everyone in the room cheered. Ali turned pale as a ghost.

Maya barely had time to understand what she did as Heyder pushed her back gently and looked into her eyes. He stared down at her in complete and utter shock. His lips parted as the brown in his eyes darkened.

"What did you do?" He asked.  

Oh holy good god.....what now? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

385 0 50
Girl suffers from Stockholm syndrome and falls in love with a vampire
4.9K 265 22
51K 1.3K 19
Sequel to Emma Gilbert.