Infatuation | Bucky Barnes

By victoriat90

He had two choices; leave her and let her die or take her with him and give her a life he wouldn't wish on an... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Author's Note #One
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy One
Chapter Seventy Two
Chapter Seventy Three
Chapter Seventy Four
Chapter Seventy Five
Chapter Seventy Six
Chapter Seventy Seven
Chapter Seventy Eight
Chapter Seventy Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty One
Chapter Eighty Two
Chapter Eighty Three
Chapter Eighty Four
Chapter Eighty Five
Chapter Eighty Six
Chapter Eighty Seven
Chapter Eighty Eight
Chapter Eighty Nine
Chapter Ninety
Chapter Ninety One
Chapter Ninety Two
Epilogue
Author's Note #Two
Author's Note #3
Small Update

Chapter Thirty Eight

35.9K 1.1K 514
By victoriat90

Three Months Later

Consequences. It was a word Catherine had come to dislike greatly over the past few months. She knew her actions the prior months would get her in some sort of trouble. She just didn't know what exactly until she was stood up in front of the United Nations along with Scott and Clint. The rest of their team had escaped, but since they had families, they were hoping to cut a deal. Luckily, Tony was able to help and they just ended up with house arrest for a few years.

Catherine's punishment was different. It was unique. It was something she hated. Being controlled. She was at the United Nations and US governments disposal. If they wanted her to go on some dangerous mission where she might die, she would have to or risk being thrown into prison. They also had the ability to make her attend any United Nations meeting they wanted and stand guard. They knew how much she hated it.

She preferred being out in the field, not being required to stand in a room full of politicians who never got anything accomplished while she wore some stiff pantsuit or pencil skirt. She often found herself rolling her eyes or even nodding off during the boring ass meetings. She would have rather had desk duty then deal with the meetings. Then again, it was better than prison or house arrest. She was also lucky they didn't strip her of her 'Agent' status.

"You look overwhelmingly excited." Tony remarked as Catherine walked through the living room of the Avengers compound with a bag in hand.

"I think the government likes to torture me. They've had me going nonstop for nearly three months. Two missions a week on top of me working security detail at events during the week. It's like they're trying to kill me." She complained.

"Did I finally find your weakness?" He teased.

"By weakness, you mean my low tolerance for bullshit then yes." She plopped down on the couch next to him and groaned. "I need a vacation."

"Then take one after you finish up at the United Nations meeting. You're going to have the quinjet anyways. I can send you a list of vacation homes we have around the world."

Catherine lifted her head off the couch. "How did I not know about this?"

"Because...in case you didn't know we've kind of been too busy for vacations. You do deserve one though."

"Maybe I'll take one." She said and pulled out her phone to check the time. "I've got to go. If I'm late they'll arrest me on the spot."

"Have fun!" Tony said sarcastically.

"Always."

Catherine walked outside to the hanger where one of the smaller quinjets sat. While flying wasn't her favorite thing to do, she didn't mind when she was the pilot. However, she wasn't the best pilot even with Hydra's training. Luckily, Sam had shown her the ropes a few times and the jet was pretty technologically advanced which helped. She secured her bag into one of the holders and then took her seat.

The last time she had been to Vienna was months ago when the whole mess that got her in the current situation happened. She prayed that they would hold the meeting elsewhere, but the United Nations insisted on having it there again. It would just be in a different building. She would barely have enough time to land the quinjet at a private airport, run to the hotel and change and then take a taxi to the building where the meeting would be held.

She had changed into a pair of high waisted, nude colored dress pants that tapered at the ankle. She put on a white, silk tank top and tucked it into the pants and pulled on a matching nude blazer. She made sure her side arm was secured and that she had the proper identification she needed to enter the building. Heels were not practical in case of an emergency, but it was required of her to wear.

She got inside the building with only ten minutes to spare. She could feel eyes staring her down as she went through security and walked through the lobby. Not everyone was happy that she wasn't sitting in prison for what happened. Some people didn't care.

"Agent Stark?" A familiar voice called out.

Catherine stopped walking and turned to see T'Challa entering the building with two women by his side. She had not seen him since Berlin. "King T'Challa. I didn't know you would be attending today."

"It was a last minute thing. I'll actually be speaking today." He informed her.

"Well, I look forward to hearing that. Please, excuse me. I can't be late for my...job." She told him.

"We should talk after the meeting." He suggested.

Catherine looked at him confused. Why would he of all people need to talk to her? "Of course. Enjoy the meeting."

She tried to shake off the strange interaction with him and focus on getting to her position. She knew the meeting was going to last hours. Everyone wanted to have the chance to say something or argue. It was mostly boring until she caught sight of a familiar person.

"Agent Ross. I had no idea politics were of interest to you." She greeted the gray haired man as he stood next to her.

"They're not. I'm only interested in Wakanda." He said.

"Wakanda?" She asked confused.

He gave her an almost knowing smile. "Yes. I'm actually friends with Wakandans now."

Catherine tried to control her facial expressions when he spoke. Instead of questioning him further, she turned her attention back to T'Challa as he took the podium.

"My name is King T'Challa , son of King T'Chaka . I am the sovereign ruler of the Nation of Wakanda and for the first time in our history we will be sharing our knowledge and resources with the outside world. Wakanda will no longer watch from the shadows. We cannot, we must not. We will work to be an example of how we as brothers and sisters on this Earth should treat each other . Now more than ever, illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. In times of crisis, the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

Catherine was blown away by his speech. In the brief time she had heard his father speak, she should have known he would be just the same. The room erupted in chatter. Some people looked interested. Others were snickering to themselves.

"With all due respect, King T' Challa," the French ambassador spoke. "What can a nation of farmers offer to the rest of the world?"

Catherine watched as T'Challa's face spread into a smile. Behind him, images began to flash. A beautiful, sprawling city with mountains in the background. Lush greenery. Technology, medical equipment, and planes she had never seen before. It was all so mesmerizing and beautiful. Everyone in the room seemed equally shocked. For once, she was actually happy to hang back and speak with one of the representatives. She wanted to hear more from T'Challa.

"I must admit. I'm impressed." Catherine told him as he approached her after the meeting was over. "I think your father would be proud as well."

He nodded his head and motioned for her to follow him. "I agree. Losing a parent is...difficult."

"It is." She said with a small voice. While she had only been two when they died, she still mourned her's everyday.

"Forgiveness is also difficult." He added and stopped to look down at her.

"As much as I like the euphemisms, what are you trying to get at here exactly?" She asked.

"I know what Sergeant Barnes did." He said quietly.

Catherine looked at him slightly taken aback. "I don't understand..."

"Captain Rogers told me when he brought Sergeant Barnes to Wakanda."

Wakanda. Bucky was in Wakanda. She didn't know why Steve would take him there especially after T'Challa accused him of murdering his father, but then the words from Steve's letter appeared in her head. He was somewhere safe. Somewhere he could get help.

"Is he okay?" She asked.

"He is. He's getting the help he needs, but there are things that technology cannot heal sometimes. He feels an immense amount of guilt."

"You want me to come see him." She came to the conclusion.

He nodded. "When you are ready. I know that it might be difficult for you, but I feel like it could also be beneficial. Wakanda has a way of helping people who need it in mysterious ways. I will send the coordinates to you. You are welcomed there at any time."

"Thank you." It was all Catherine could say. She was in such shock and she didn't know what she wanted to do.

She stood motionless as T'Challa walked away. She ended up walking back to her hotel in an effort to clear her head, but it hardly worked. Was she ready to see Bucky again? Was she ready to forgive him? And what would Tony think? It was all so confusing. That was until she received a text message from an unknown number an hour later. She stared at the coordinates.

"Fuck it." She said and began to pack her things.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35K 674 25
Bucky and a girl he never met before have to go undercover as married on a mission to Europe. He feels alienated in the modern world, while she goes...
112K 2.7K 22
18+ Readers ONLY please! Being burned by the man I loved and thought I was going to spend my life with was without a doubt one of the hardest times i...
30K 1.3K 8
Short Story X reader of the one and Only James B. Barnes. You're a doctor living in New York, doing your best to help injured veterans adjust to thei...
173K 6.6K 63
MCU X OC insert. a story where my OC gets transported to MCU universe which she is a very big fan of. she can't help but fangirl over everything sh...