JEMIMA

By oluwayanmife__

Meet Jemima, a christian and a lover of God. Born by Christian Ministers and raised in the way of the Lord. B... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52

Chapter 11

362 170 5
By oluwayanmife__

I hurried out of my dad's car and entered the hospital, my Dad following closely behind. I walked towards the receptionist as we entered the hospital. The usual hospital smell hitting our nostrils, I opened my mouth to ask for Toni's ward number but my Dad was faster.

"Hello ma'am" My Dad said with a smile on his face. A smile enough to ease the disturbance in my heart for a while.

"Good evening sir, how may I help you" the Nurse at the reception asked, her lips giving way to her white teeth as she spoke.

"We are here to see Olatoni Olaonipekun" My Dad replied.

After a short time of going through her files, she lifted her head and directed us to Toni's ward, the smile not leaving her face.

My Dad and I walked away, taking occasionally turns as we were directed. My heart ached to see Toni, and It had been like that since Damilare told me about her being admitted to the hospital few hours ago. It dawned at me that I didn't even tell Dare I would be going later in day. After I called my Dad who was already aware of the sad development.

There was no way I could go with him anyways, my Dad wouldn't want to see me introducing a 'guy' to him, talk less of asking him to drive us to see a sick friend.

I definitely wasn't in for interrogations, weird mood changes, funny face expressions and unnecessary scolding and lectures my Dad was definitely going to dish out to me. He didn't even know any other friends of mine except Toni, not like he expects me to have any other friends anyways.

I wondered what it would be like when I get to introduce him to Mo' and Semiloore. I chided myself immediately.
My Dad was definitely going to give them that, 'Who are you to be my girl's friend ' face. And then start the question time, asking random and unnecessary questions. And possibly preach to them at the end of the day.

I had had to face that many times while I was younger, but then, I'm grown now. And over the years, I hadn't actually had any friends apart from Olatoni. Anne was the regular customer of that kind of situation, she was the one with plenty friends and the one that didn't really care about people's opinions about her decisions, not even Dad.

Olatoni, I feared for her, what she was putting up with, how she was denying herself of the freedom from her aunt's wickedness.
But then, I could only rant and give advices, it's her life and her decisions to make.

My Dad turned the Doorknob and the door swung open. And we entered the room, it had three beds in, I glanced through and saw Toni on the last bed at the other end of the room. I scurried towards her, Anita was there with her.

Anita was pastor Dennis' little sister, Toni's aunt. She used to live with Toni and her family when her parents were alive. Toni was really fond of her, she was young and very relatable, Toni once told me the most important people in her life are just three, Pastor Dennis, Anita and me. That made me very happy.

Anita always came to the Dennis' house when she was on school break. This was definitely one of those.

"Anita" I called out to her, excitement visible in my voice. I walked closer to were she was sitting and drew her into a hug.

"Jemima, how do you do, it's been a while" she said as I broke the hug. I sat beside Toni as I stared at her face, she was sleeping.

"What happened?" I asked Anita, concern writing boldly on my face.

"I don't really know, I just got to town today but I was told she had a small accident" she replied.

That was what everyone was saying, but I couldn't seem to get over the feeling that there was more to that tale.

"God is with her" my Dad said, the only thing he had said since we entered the room. We both muttered an amen.

I stared at Toni, and the bruises on her skin. This was definitely more than a "small accident". I squeezed her hands gently as I watched her eyelids open gently and slowly. Her lips parting like she had some thing to say. I studied her face, it had the same innocent look on it , as ever. I took a deep breath as she finally opened her eyes, though it looked all gloomy and wet.

"Toni" I called out to her, she stared at me as if to check if she knew me before. Her eyelids opened the more, showing her big eyeballs. I smiled thinking she was about to brighten up at the sight of me.

But her words shattered my heart.

"What are you doing here?" she asked tersely with a deadpan look on her face.

"Errr, ermm. Toni, how are you feeling. I heard you were at the hospital s..."I stuttered.

" I'm fine!" She responded curtly. I swallowed my saliva and released her hands slowly. "As you can see" she muttered under her breath but loud enough for me to hear. She sifted and turned to look out the window beside her bed.

I looked closely at her, and back at Anita. "Okay" I said. "Olatoni, how are you feeling. Your uncle called me earlier today so we came to see you" My Dad asked.

" I'm fine sir, thank you. I'll be out of here in no time" Toni replied, a small smile on her face.

" Jemima, I'll be outside" My Dad said, obviously noticing the tension in the room. I nodded my head in response.

"Err, me too. I need to stretch my legs" Anita said, standing up from her seat. I watched the duo walk out of the room and then turned back to face Toni.

"Toni" I started "I'm sorry for yesterday. I really am" I said as I felt my throat heat up. Toni shifted again, turning to her side. "Toni" I called out but I received no response. I reached out to hold her hands, but she recoiled as soon as my hands touched hers.

"I said I'm sorry"

"Leave" I heard her say.

"What??" I asked sincerely suprised. "I said I'm sorry Toni" I said, sounding all worked up.

"Jemima, please go. I don't want to talk to you" she said her voice shaking like she was going to cry. I held her hands again and moved closer to her. I stared at her eyes, and it was obvious it she was holding back tears. I felt my throat heat up and dry too, I swallowed my saliva rather forcefully as I tried to speak up. Losing my voice at the first attempt.

"Toni, Olatoni" I started,my voice shaky and barely audible. "You know you can talk to me. What's wrong, I'm sure something is wrong. Toni, I'm your friend, probably the only person you are close too. If something is wrong you can talk to me" I said, blinking back the tears that were trying to escape from my eyes. I was that emotional.

She took a deep breath as tears rolled down her cheek, snivelling out she said.

"Yes Jemi, you are my only friend, the only one" she said. As she giggled between sobs, rather sarcastically. "Just Get out!!!" She yelled at me, out of the blues, managing to sit up that same second, she had glistering eyes as tears rolled down her cheek.

My heart skipped a beat, as the sound of footsteps approaching got louder.

"What's going on here" the nurse that entered asked as she started observing Toni. My lips seemed too heavy to speak, all I did was stare. Stare at Toni, and try to wonder what I could have said to trigger that reaction.

"You need to leave now" the Nurse said, and I looked up to her. " She needs a lot of rest, and I don't think your presence is helping her at all" She said.

" But she's my friend" I muttered. Just then, Anita and my Dad stepped in. After few seconds of calling out to Toni and trying to understand what was happening. We finally left the room.

"Take care of yourself" My Dad said as he closed the door to my room.

I coiled up on my bed and  covered myself with a duvet. I covered my entire body up to my head, preventing me from seeing light and getting me all heated up. Tears rolled out my eyes, soiling my clothe. I didn't bother pulling off my clothes when we got back. My nostrils were all blocked as I snivelled quietly.

Just then my phone rang. I groped with my hands, searched the bed for my phone. Without attempting to leave the 'hot' comfort I was having. I didn't bother checking the caller ID as I picked up the call.

"Jemi!" The person exclaimed excitedly. I had to remove the phone from my ears and actually check the Caller ID.

Anne🥰

I placed the phone back to my ear and replied. Trying to sound as okay as I could fake.

"Anne, what's up" I said.

"Jemi, how are you love. I've missed you so much" she said, in her ever cheerful voice. I managed to smile a little.

"I'm fine, I've missed you too. So you remember me today" I replied.

" Hey Jemi, what's wrong. You don't sound yourself" she asked.

" I'm fine Anne, I'm just sleepy" I lied.

" Okay, well... I'm coming home this weekend, to spend the weekend with my darling sister" she stated.

" Well, well, well. If it isn't the i_want_to_stay_away_from_home girl?" I said mockingly.

" Alright. I'm not coming again then. I just wanted to come greet you ni. I actually thought you missed me" she said in a babyish tone, I imagined her pouting like a child, and a small smile crossed my face.

"No na, I do miss you. It's just that, I didn't know you'll be so eager to come home when you haven't even spent three weeks at the hostel".

" Ehn. It's nothing nah. I'm coming home oo, just called to let you know"

" Okay nah"

We talked about random things for a while before she cut the phone. My heart felt a bit lighter as I sat up, I thought about everything and concluded it was stupid of me to cry.

That was just me, I always hated to admit my emotional nature. I drag my body out of bed, I opened the bedside drawer and collected some tissue paper, blowing my nose into it. I stood up and threw the waste in the waste bin in my room.

I pilled off my clothes and went into the shower. I showered for more than thirty minutes, having moments where I cried and then afterwards scolding myself for crying and going back into the tears.

I walked into my room in a bathrobe, I picked up my phone and checked the notifications. I had two missed calls from Mo' and a text from Dare. I checked the messages, and replied to it. Mo'was simply asking after Toni and how my leg was.

I had actually forgotten about the pain I had been feeling few hours ago. And just then, it was like the leg was remained to pain me. I started feeling it's pain again. I groaned as I checked the messages I had sent to Toni. While in the car, on our way home from the hospital.

I dialed her number but there was no response. I dialed again but it was answered by Anita. Telling me Toni was indisposed.

Toni and I rarely had issues, but when we did it only lasted for few hours. This one seemed different, I really wondered what was wrong, I was worrying a lot. Just then the voice of my truest friend dropped in my heart.

When we worry a lot. Worry displaces God from the center of our lives. And you know what that means.

Tears rolled down my eyes as I knelt down to do what I hadn't been doing for a while....

I prayed.

__________

Hey guys 🤗❤️

I've been really busy lately that's why the update was delayed.

This chapter got me thinking and erasing and writing and all that.

But I hope you guys like it.

❤️
Show this book love my voting and commenting.

Oluwayanmife loves you ❤️❤️❤️🥰🥰
_____________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

386 68 24
God is good. All the time. And all the time, Is God really good? Sopuru finds God at such a young age only for her new found faith to be tested by th...
60 1 46
Olivia is a troubled teenager. Religion is something she's always despised. What happens when one person shows her that everything she's ever known i...
581 165 21
The teenage period is usually not always easy. You make mistakes, you learn from them. It's like a moulding phase towards adulthood, which tends to b...
21.2K 5.1K 34
When Adeleke Jemimah finally joins her elder brother at Crest University; practically nothing changes. Separated from her best friends; Jemimah had t...