The Love That Bonds Us

onigiri_oya द्वारा

Agnarr has been waiting to go to the Enchanted Forest for the past four years. But after the following tragic... अधिक

Chapter 1 : The Enchanted Forest
Chapter 2 : Rescue and Escape
Chapter 3 : Return Of The King
Chapter 4 : Kindness of Arendelle
Chapter 5 : The First Of Many Meetings
Chapter 6 : He's Not Just Royalty
Chapter 7 : Fit For A King
Chapter 8 : The Good And The Bad
Chapter 9 : The Waltz
Chapter 10 : When Sparks Fly
Chapter 11 : What's Free Time To A King
Chapter 12 : Winter Days And Warm Fires
Chapter 13 : The Winter Festival
Chapter 14 : Can You Feel The Love
Chapter 15 : She's On His Mind
Chapter 16 : A Christmas Surprise
Chapter 17 : The Jule Bell
Chapter 18 : Presents Galore
Chapter 19 : Why Are Goodbyes So Hard
Chapter 20 : The Rock Trolls
Chapter 21 : A Cryptic Warning
Chapter 22 : Life Goes On
Chapter 23 : The Perfect Present
Chapter 24 : So This Is Love
Chapter 25 : A Kiss To Remember
Chapter 27 : An Ideal Bride
Chapter 28 : Woodcarver And Queen
Chapter 29 : He Is The King
Chapter 30 : She Works Through It
Chapter 31 : A Riveting Discussion
Chapter 32 : Appearances Are Everything
Chapter 33 : Queen In Training
Chapter 34 : Approval Or Disapproval
Chapter 35 : Strengthened Suspicion
Chapter 36 : The Girl Who Lied
Chapter 37 : Change Is In The Air
Chapter 38 : Giving Up
Chapter 39 : Three Surprise Guests
Chapter 40 : Love And Hate
Chapter 41 : The Angry King
Chapter 42 : The Sacrifice
Chapter 43 : When All Is Lost
Chapter 44 : Her New Adventure
Chapter 45 : An Engagement Party
Chapter 46 : A Coronan Affair
Chapter 47 : Forgiveness
Chapter 48 : The Mystery Solved
Chapter 49 : Happily Ever After

Chapter 26 : The Carpenter Dream

243 6 1
onigiri_oya द्वारा

IDUNA

A couple weeks had passed since the first time Agnarr kissed me, and yet that initial excitement still hadn't faded.

I was still buzzing even while I waited in the small, dingy room opposite Thomas Jordsen's office; the man in charge of the woodcarving business.

Though, this particular buzz came from the fact that Agnarr had given me a good luck kiss before the interview I waited for now. 

I'd told him all about my love of woodcarving and the stubborn man standing in my way. He'd been as supportive as I'd always known he could be and he'd told me that if worse came to the worse, he would help me get the job I wanted.

It was very sweet of him, but I couldn't accept his offer. This was something I wanted, and felt I had, to do on my own.

I soon began to twiddle my fingers around each other as time drew on and on and the silence became unbearable; anxiety and unease settled in my mind beside the happiness and joy of being with Agnarr. What was taking him so long? 

My eyes flicked up to trace the dark grooves of Thomas' closed, wooden door. The longer I watched them, the more unease I felt. I just wanted to stalk in there and get the interview started, but if I stood any chance of him employing me, I had to be patient. If I went in there unannounced I would immediately be in his bad books, with even less of a chance of becoming a woodcarver.

I presently began feeling slightly sick with nerves and I looked towards the floor, away from the thick door that blocked Thomas Jordsen from my view.

I'd figured out what I was going to say weeks ago, but now I feared I'd never be able to say them; perhaps he didn't even know I'd come to apply for a job. Perhaps he'd seen my application papers and decided he didn't want to see me. Perhaps he'd ...

The door suddenly opened and I stood abruptly, feeling awed by the man's presence. He was tall and well-built; his eyebrows were heavy over his dark, calculating eyes and a scowl was spread across his face, but Halima had warned me he always wore that expression.

"Iduna, isn't it?" he spoke gruffly.

I gave a quick nod of my head, "Yes Mr Jordsen Sir."

He flapped a hand at me and my stomach knotted with dread and an uncertainty that I didn't like.

"There's no need for such formalities, girl, just call me one or the other. Now don't keep me waiting any longer."

Amongst the anxiety and dread weaved a golden thread of my own stubbornness as he said that, and I frowned. What did he mean him? He was the one who had kept me waiting!

I marched into his office, holding my head as high as I dared, trying to come across as confident but not arrogant or cocky.

He gestured warily at the small, wooden chair opposite his own large, leather seat, which he slumped in, folding his hands on the desk in front of him.

I took the seat and crossed my hands politely on my lap, opening my mouth to speak first but Thomas went ahead of me.

"So. Halima tells me you want a job as a carpenter. I'm here to tell you now that you have until the long hand reaches the twelve on that clock." he pointed to the huge grandfather clock standing proudly behind him, "I only considered seeing you at all because she told me how eager you were and she and I are old friends. So, convince me. Why should I take a girl on? Especially one as young as yourself? What do you have to offer as a carpenter?"

I stared at him for a few moments, completely dumbfounded. Then my eyes found the clock and I realised he was barely giving me five minutes to say what I needed to say. And the problem was, what I'd planned to say had now completely gone from my mind.

"Well Mr Jordsen, I think I have rather a lot to offer you. I grew up learning to woodcarve, I learnt it from my father -"

"And where are you from?" he asked.

"Excuse me?" I blinked and my heartbeat quickened, "I don't see what that has to do with anything?"

He leant forwards in his chair and circled his thumbs, making me feel almost threatened. "It has everything to do with it. No one in this Kingdom has any clue where you actually come from. If you tell me, I can trust you."

My heart began to beat even faster. I realised that I'd have to come up with something on the spot - if I didn't tell him something soon then this job would be gone from my grasp. I thought back to all those times Agnarr had shown me maps for various reasons. Only one place was standing out in my mind and I really hoped that it would make sense.

"I come from a little town in Corona known as Borlun." I said calmly, then held my breath as Thomas eyed me with suspicion for a long moment.

Then he sat back with satisfaction and I breathed a silent sigh of relief.

"Alright then. Borlun. That's a good place for woodcarving too. OK girl, you've got my attention."

A faint frown creased my face again, I should have had his attention this entire time! What did this man want from me?

"Anyway, my father taught me to woodcarve from a young age. So I'd say I have a lot of experience. I've brought some of my previous works to show you." I delved into my satchel and pulled out some of my little wooden figures, placing them on the desk in front of him.

He picked one up to inspect it, reaching into his drawer to pull out a pair of thin-rimmed spectacles which he placed on his nose.

As he was doing that, I glanced at the clock again, each tick reverberating through my skull like a heavy hammer.

"Nice craftsmanship." Thomas commented, turning the figure over in his rough hands, "Very nice. A keen eye for detail."

"Thank you Mr Jordsen."

Then he looked at me over the top of his spectacles, "But how do I know they are yours? You could have bought these anywhere. Or got some young lad to let you use them for the day."

"What do you mean?" I slammed my palms against his desk before I could hold back, "Do you see any signatures carved into these? No, so I haven't bought them. And what young man would let me borrow them? Are you seriously accusing me of such a thing? They were all made by my own hand, using these tools." I dug my hand into my satchel again and yanked out my greasy-handled tools, tossing them carelessly onto the table for him to see. "And if you don't believe me, then pass me a block of wood and I'll prove it to you, right here, right now." I even went to the extreme of thrusting out my hand, as if demanding he give me the challenge.

I usually never lost my temper. This was one of those rare moments where I couldn't keep the anger bottled in any longer. Blind rage was bubbling inside me like an angry fire and if I didn't release it then I'd explode. I just couldn't believe this man! He was accusing me of lieing on the unsturdy foundation of my being a girl. I couldn't stand men like him, who thought lowly of women. We were made for much more than cooking and cleaning and looking pretty for a man's pleasure.

I didn't like the way he was looking at me now, though. It was with a vague interest which made me shift uncomfortably and diluted my anger ever so slightly with more uneasiness.

When he continued to stare at me with that mild interest, not saying a word, I furrowed my brow even more and spoke heatedly again, "Well? Are you going to make me prove myself or are you going to accept that I'm as good a carver as any man you have ever employed?"

Still there was no response.

I decided this called for desperate measures and went on with, "And if you still don't believe me, just know that I can take this matter up with the King. As I'm sure you're well aware, he and I are very ... close." I let a smile play on my lips as I said that. While few people knew of our budding relationship as lovers, many knew that we were close friends. And while I didn't intend to bring Agnarr into this at all, it was still entertaining to watch as Thomas' pupils dilated ever so slightly.

"There's no need to bring this matter to the King, girl." he said, still trying to dominate the situation even when I clearly had the upper hand.

"Of course not."

"And I think I can believe these are yours - no need for a demonstration - if, as you say, you are from Borlun and have been taught to woodcarve by your father."

I nodded again, not worrying to much that I'd falsely told him where I came from as I'd stated truth in that my father had taught me all I knew.

"And I like you - Iduna of Borlun." he surprised me with the use of my actual name. "You're feisty and that's a good thing. Just as stubborn as I am. I'm giving you three days in my workshop to prove you belong." he jammed a fist against the table, causing his neat rows of pencils to shake, and gave me what he probably meant to be a smile but what looked more like a grimace. With a face that always scowled, he must find it hard to smile.

I gaped at him. Unsure of what had just happened.

"Oh shut your mouth, girl. I've given you the job haven't I? Get out of here and I want to see you bright and early tomorrow morning. And bring your own tools with you. It's always best to use what you're comfortable with. And make sure you're wearing thick clothes that you don't mind getting torn or dirty. It's a tough business, carpentry."

My mouth still hanging slightly ajar, as he didn't seem too hate me after all, I quickly got to my feet and gathered all the figures and tools I'd brought with me, stuffing them back into my satchel.

I gave a polite, albeit brief, inclination of my head as I went to the door, "Thank you so much Mr Jordsen. You will not regret your decision to employ me."

The man chuckled and it made him look almost handsome behind his heavy set features, "Just call me Thomas, girl. And mind you don't let any of the men know you've got the job. I want to see the looks on their faces when they see a girl waltz into the workshop tomorrow."

"What do you mean?" I asked, though the twinkle in his eye told me he didn't mean to be rude or anything like that.

He flapped a hand at me again and stood up to hold the door open, "Nothing, girl. Most of them are young and desperate, probably never seen a girl before in their lives. Even if some lad has snatched you up, I want to see their priceless, excited faces when they see you. Plus I've never taken on a girl before. This will be new for everyone."

A half smile found its way onto my face as I left the office; and on my way back down the stairs, passed the workshops behind the main store, and through that too, I started thinking about what to make of Thomas Jordsen. He was a confusing man to say the least. Certainly stubborn so I must have made quite the impression on him, which I supposed must be a good thing as I got the job I was after.

I got the job I was after ...

All of a sudden, I leapt into the air with triumph; it may only be a trial period, but he was giving me a chance! And Halima had told me that it would be hard and disappointing.

I could hardly wait to tell her that I had succeeded when I slammed into something.

For a disorientated moment I thought I'd walked straight into a wall in my euphoria, but that couldn't be right as I was bathed in warm summer sunlight. And then it dawned on me that this was a person - of course it was.

"Fancy seeing you here." Agnarr grinned down at me.

I brushed the fringe back from my face and lowered my eyelashes dramatically, "Indeed. I didn't expect to find you waiting for me. How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough." he answered, taking my hand as we strolled leisurely and aimlessly down the street, before asking, "Say, how did it go?"

I tried to shrug it off like the whole interview had been no big deal, but my elated beam was giving me away, "It went better than expected. At first he was dark and brooding, but after I lost my temper -"

"Iduna? Loosing her temper? Blimey, he must have been one stubborn man to break through your defences. I thought I was the one with the anger."

I slapped his shoulder lightly, "You are. I couldn't take that title away from you. But he was stubborn and made me feel like I was nothing just because I was a woman. So I gave him a piece of my mind. And I think he liked me for it! He called me feisty and gave me three days in the workshop to prove myself."

"I should think you already have." Agnarr kissed the top of my head affectionately, "I know that man too. Quite a few years ago, when my father was still alive, he used to be the Royal carpenter, but he retired the year before the Tragedy and promoted one of his finest to work at the Castle instead. So if he's given you a chance, you can be sure that job is yours."

"Well I hope you're right, because if I fail this trial period, I don't know what I'll do. Probably end up working in a Florists."

"Well, I can see you working in either."

I frowned up at him, "I don't want to be a florist. I want to be a carpenter."

Agnarr laughed, "I'm just thinking aloud here. There isn't a doubt in my mind you will become the greatest carpenter Arendelle has ever seen." he gestured in the air grandly and I dissolved into laughter as well.

"What did I do to deserve you?" I whispered, mostly to myself, but he still heard me.

"I should ask you the same question, what did I do to deserve you." he gently brushed a loose strand of my fringe behind my ear and tilted my eyes to his, "But I suppose you don't have an answer?"

I shook my head, resting it on his shoulder, "No I do not and I fear I never will. But I'm getting ahead of myself; let's just focus on the present - the right now. It's one step at a time Agnarr." this was all very new to me and I just wanted to take things slowly.

"You're right. One step at a time." he replied wistfully.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

124K 4.3K 15
ᯐ 𝐅𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐈𝐃 ( 𝙵𝚁𝙾𝚉𝙴𝙽: 𝙱𝙾𝙾𝙺 𝟷 ) ─────────────────── ❝ 𝐇𝐎𝐖 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐌𝐄..?❞ ❝..𝐈...
446K 14.1K 65
Being a king is hard. Raising a son is hard. Living with eternal grief is hard. King Thranduil is just trying to keep his kingdom running and his son...
11.6K 200 15
Back at North pole after years from what happened to the Arendelle Family, the globe of North's is being strange again. Children stopped believing at...
69 1 13
After the failed attempt to bring back what dears to her, Ariana lost herself once again. But it didn't last long when she's forced to come out of A...