Slow Down | ✓

By MIDNXGHTSUN

[ COMPLETED ] Elijah West and Aliyah Pryce have something in common: They have both been hurt before. Aliya... More

𝐒𝐋𝐎𝐖 𝐃𝐎𝐖𝐍
00. PROLOGUE
01. TORTURE
02. TIPSY
03. HANGOVER
04. ONE-NIGHT STAND
05. MELT-ON-THE-TONGUE TYPE
06. MEMORIES
07. BRIGHT BLUE EYES
08. BROTHER-IN-LAW
09. REBOUND
10. FRIENDS
11. CHICKEN SCRAWL
12. DIFFERENT
13. OUT LIKE A LIGHT
14. THEIR THING
15. OUT OF HER LEAGUE
16. NOTHING ELSE
17. PORNSTAR
18. NEW GUEST
19. SOFTBALL TEAM
20. RHYTHM
21. CHIPMUNK CHEEKS
22. DIRTY HANDS
23. SENATOR WEST
24. SPOILED
25. AT LAST
26. PIGGY BACK RIDE
27. HOPEFUL
28. DINNER IN THE PARK
29. HOT SOUP
30. BREATHE
31. BY MY SIDE
32. SILENCE
33. LIMBO
34. DRESSED LIKE A HOE
35. ANNOYINGLY PERFECT
36. NATURAL
37. THE BONE MAN
38. HAPPY DAY
39. COMMITTED
40. SAVING KITTENS
41. SHARK OF A WOMAN
42. EMBARRASSING
43. DON'T SAY ANYTHING
44. BE HUMBLE
45. FUNNEL CAKE
⚠️ 46. PLEASE ⚠️
⚠️ 47. NO CLUE ⚠️
48. MAKES SENSE
50. BIRTHDAY BITCH
51. SEVEN CARAT
52. SWEET SPOT
53. WHY
54. BIGGER, BETTER THINGS
55. THE FAVORITE
56. YOUR PRESENCE
57. RING ON HERE
58. A MOTHER'S TOUCH
59. HOT CHOCOLATE
60. WARM COFFEE
61. PANERA BREAD
62. NEGATIVE
63. READY WHENEVER YOU ARE
64. HOME
65. DR. BLUE EYES
66. HAUNTED HOSPITALS
67. AIRPLANE MODE
68. RIVER
69. HEAVY SNOW
70. FOOT FETISH
71. PANCAKES & KICKS
72. CRY BABY
73. SKINNY ASS KNEECAPS
74. MORE THAN THAT
75. TAKE CARE
76. BURY A BODY
77. MARK YOUR CALENDAR
78. ALL BE WORTH IT
79. TWO WEEKS AWAY
80. BABY WEST
81. I DO
82. THE OTHER TWO
83. DATE NIGHT
84. LIFELINE
85. LOST WITHOUT YOU || the end

49. REHEARSAL DINNER

31.9K 1.9K 911
By MIDNXGHTSUN

49. REHEARSAL DINNER

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I forgot about the rehearsal dinner," A frustrated groan leaves Aliyah as she rushes all over her room, grabbing clean underwear and a suitable pantsuit.

She got off work early so she could take a little nap before Toni's birthday party. What she completely forgot was the fact that today is also Kayla and Trevor's rehearsal dinner.

As much as she would've loved to skip it to take advantage of another nap, she couldn't - considering she's the one that planned it all those months ago. Luckily, the times would seem to work out and still give her time to come back to the house and change in time for Elijah to pick her up.

He, along with the rest of the men coming, apparently, are the designated drivers. Toni's new 'man' and Hally's rich boyfriend are also a part of that group of men.

Aliyah had no clue how all three women managed to find themselves in relationships all at the same time.

She can hear Elijah's chuckle carry over her Amazon Alexa as he shuffles, "How did you do that, exactly?"

Aliyah rolls her eyes. She, genuinely, has no idea, "They not on my mind like that."

Now it's Elijah's turn to roll his eyes, "Yeah, sure." She can hear him sip on something — she would assume coffee considering he's still at work. "So, I'm getting off in three hours."

Aliyah glances at the clock for the third time in two minutes to see that it's only 4:32 PM. The dinner starts at 5:30 and lasts roughly 45 minutes. Then, Aliyah will check to make sure that everything is set for the wedding tomorrow, drive home, change her entire vibe and start her hype before Elijah picks her up and drives them to the club.

"Are you showering there?" Aliyah asks as she pulls her hair into a shower cap. She doesn't have the time or patience to re-straighten it.

Elijah's hum seems to make her dresser vibrate.

"Alright, I'm gonna hop in the shower." She tells him, her shower door open in anticipation, "I'll text you when I'm there."

"Alright, babe." He says before hanging up. It's with a sigh of readiness that Aliyah hops into the shower, energy rushing through her veins.

ALIYAH HAD DRESSED AS professionally as she could in the short amount of time that she had — she blames herself.

Brushing down her black pants for the third time since putting it on, she grabs her keys and phone and goes through the house, following her routine of leaving a single light on so people could assume that she was home.

She steps into her heels that she'd left at the door mat before leaving the apartment and locking it behind her.

The drive to the venue for the reception is filled with Bryson Tiller being blasted from the radio. Somehow, this was Aliyah's somber mood playlist.

She wasn't necessarily bouncing off the walls about the fact that the wedding of her exes — if one could call them that in a collective term — is less than twenty-four hours away, but she felt no malice.

If one were to push it, they could even say she was happy for them. She wouldn't lie and say that happiness was well overdue, because it wasn't.

She had gotten over it and now she's at the point of not really giving a fuck about them anymore. As a matter of fact, that seemed to be the case from the beginning. It's just the realization that this will all be over soon — it's enough to bring a smile to Aliyah's made-up face.

Six more songs play before Aliyah pulls into the almost empty parking lot of the Luxe Event Venue building. The lights shone through the windows, letting Aliyah know that the people who were supposed to set up got the job done.

Before leaving the car, she sends Elijah a short text letting him know that she made it safely. It's a short walk in her four-inch heels to get to the front door. She pushes a bright smile on her face before swinging it open and entering. Luckily, she was a couple of minutes early so she could greet everyone as they walk in.

By the time seven minutes had passed, it felt like her face was frozen in that one grinning spot. Her cheeks were starting to cramp and her lip was starting to twitch. Tens of faces had passed before she caught sight of the main stars.

"Hey," Aliyah greets them, her forced smile now falling as they approach her. Somehow, Kayla and Trevor ended up being some of the last people to arrive at their own rehearsal dinner — Aliyah couldn't care less about why, "How are you guys tonight? Nervous? Excited?"

All in all, Aliyah was just going through the motions. Despite the false innocent look on Kayla's face, Aliyah just sucks it up and uses the same chirpy tone she usually uses when the client's wedding is close.

Trevor's eyes seemed to be glued to Aliyah's face, his eyebrows furrowed in thought. She shifts, uncomfortably before mentally rolling her eyes and casting her gaze to the woman across from her, instead.

"I'm nervous and excited," Kayla's lips unfold into a wide grin.

Aliyah nods, "Nothing to be nervous about." It takes everything in her to say her next sentence, "You two are getting married tomorrow and it's gonna be the happiest day of your lives. I promise you."

THE REHEARSAL DINNER COULDN'T have been more boring. Okay, it wasn't that boring, but in comparison to what Aliyah is anticipating later in the night, it is dull.

As it ends, Aliyah finds herself at the table in the back of the hall, a glass of water in her hand. The table holds a couple of platters of cheese and crackers and mini-hotdogs and mini-burgers.

Typical rehearsal dinner food.

Aliyah had, sneakily, stuffed her face with those mini-burgers with the thought that she would rather not drink her life away on an empty stomach.

She's biting into another one when she hears somebody clear their throat behind her. Pivoting on her heel, she quickly chews the food in her mouth and faces the woman stood behind her.

She's ridiculously pretty.

"Hi," The woman's tone gives the conversation an awkward start, but she has a wide smile on her face, "You're Aliyah Pryce — the wedding planner, right?"

Aliyah resists the urge to furrow her eyebrows in confusion, "Yes, I am. And you are . . .?"

The woman holds out an eager hand, "Gianna. Gianna Williamson — I'm the Maid of Honor, and Kayla's best friend."

Now, Aliyah does furrow her eyebrows. The first name is familiar. She could've sworn that was the name of Elijah's ex-girlfriend, but then again, he didn't tell her her last name and there are multiple people in Charlotte with that name so Aliyah doesn't jump to any conclusions.

And needless to say, Aliyah is rightly confused. She's the Maid of Honor but Aliyah hasn't met her before? She wasn't at the dress fitting or the meeting Aliyah had with the other bridesmaids.

Gianna seems to read her mind, "I was traveling. My plane landed last night. The other girls filled me in on the meetings."

Aliyah nods even though she still didn't really get it. If you're the Maid of Honor, one would assume that you would at least try to be there a month before your best friend gets married.

Hmm.

Aliyah nods, "Well, welcome back."

Gianna's grin seems to widen, if that's even possible. "Thank you." She pauses — leaving Aliyah to wonder what the hell she's about to say now, "I just wanted to thank you for doing all this for Kayla and Trevor. They've had a rough couple of years and now, they're the happiest I've ever seen them."

Rough couple of years?

Aliyah wasn't sure if she cared enough to ask her to elaborate. She wasn't even sure if that was even her business — but if Miss Ma'am is out here talking about it with her, then it might as well be.

However, she doesn't ask.

She doesn't have a chance to before a male voice calls over to them.

"Gi!" The man that walks over is tall and has a bright smile.

Guess beautiful people herd together.

The closer he comes, the more familiar he looks. Then finally, he's standing in front of Aliyah and her eyes widen in shock.

To her utter surprise, Aliyah can't even mumble a single word when she sees that the man in front of her is the same man whose ass Elijah beat almost two weeks ago.

What the fuck?

One week he's tryna jeer up her man by talking about her and the next, he has a woman by his side who he's going to a wedding with.

Aliyah shifts back, uncomfortably.

"Ready to go?" The man asks as he wraps an arm around Gianna's waist.

She sends him a soft smile before pressing a kiss to his cheek, "Yeah, babe, I was just introducing myself to the person who planned all of this." Finally she turns to Aliyah with an apologetic smile, "It was nice meeting you, Aliyah."

Aliyah nods, "You too."

With that, the man on her side sends Aliyah an acknowledging nod before the two turn away and leave the emptying hall — leaving Aliyah to wonder what the hell is going on.

okay so a LOT to unpack here

also this (idky) took me ab a week to update but i didn't actually start writing the chapter till last night so look at datttt

ALSO LOOK AT WHAT PAIINOIA MADE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IM SO HAPPY!! IT'S ALL MY SOCIALS FOR MY WP ACC — feel free to follow me on insta and pinterest

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.7K 2.5K 27
"I can't change the past but I can change the future and I want that future to be with you." ~~~ After one kiss from one of Pittsburgh's hottest: Car...
1.5K 81 11
I felt his hand as it gently pushed the strands of hair that were blocking his view of my face, behind my shoulder. The action caused his fingers to...
2.6K 235 23
Divine Jackson is driven. She's always had people to take care of, and that list barely included herself. So, it was hard making any room for a man...
24.3K 940 44
"I just thought..." I begin, flustered, not really sure where my words are headed. He shakes his head. "We can't," he states, removing my hand from h...