Reason [BNHA x HxH!Reader]

By bloomstruck

Everything happens for a reason - at least, that's what you'd like to believe. While playing Greed Island wit... More

[0] Departure
[1] Just Awake
[2] Solution
[3] Explosive Babies
[4] Auras
[5] Close Calls
[6] Field Trip
[7] Bird Brain
[8] Rampaging Evil
[x.1] Special
[10] Declaration of War
[11] The Magician's Baile
[12] Go Go Go! U.A's Sport's Festival!
[13] Always Reaching For the Top
[14] Go Seize It!
[1-5] Anthology Chapter
[15] Bright and Cheerful
[16] Chuunibyou
[x.2] Special
[17] Budding Suspicions
[18] Foreigner VS. Sparking Killing Boy!
[6-10] Anthology Chapter
[19] Realized Capacity
[20] Consequences
[21] Underlying Threat
[22] Unwind
[23] The Big Three
[24] Code Names and Internships
[11-15] Anthology Chapter
[25] Scarlet-Eyed Lament
[26] Admonishment
[x.3] Crack Chapter
[27] Playing Detective
[28] Hero Killer
[29] S.O.S
[30] Higher Ground
[31] Two Sides of the Same Coin
[32] Secrets
[33] Specialist
[34] Study Hard!
[35] Back to the Basics
[36] Practicals
[37] Advantages
[38] Friends
[x.4] Crack Chapter Pt. 2
[39] Never a Moment of Rest
[40] Revelations
[41] Bloodlust
[42] Homesickness
[43] Fanfare
[44] Reinforcements
[45] Unease
[46] Touch and Go
[47] Remedial Hell
[48] Hysteria
[x.5] Crack Chapter Pt. 3
[x.6] Crack - Denki's Misfortune
[49] Intruders
[50] Budding Chaos
[51] York New City
[52] Tourists
[53] An Informant's Infamy
[54] [Y/n]: Origin
[55] Hero Support
[56] A Little Help
[57] Reality Shift
[58] Reason
[59] Diminuendo
[60] Departure
[16-20] Anthology
[21-25] Anthology
[26-30] Anthology
END 1: Midoriya Izuku
END 2: Bakugou Katsuki
END 3: Todoroki Shouto
END 4: Iida Tenya
END 5: Ashido Mina
END 6: Kirishima Eijirou
END 7: Kaminari Denki
END 8: Sero Hanta
END 9: Uraraka Ochaco
END 10: Yaoyorozu Momo
END 11: Shinsou Hitoshi
END 12: Toga Himiko
END 13: Kurapika
END 14: Leorio Paladiknight
BNHA ENDING
SECRET ENDING
HXH TRUE END
[alternate realities]
[Q&A AND END NOTE]
5K Special: What If?

[9] Spreading Anxiety

8.9K 426 236
By bloomstruck

You were late. Having spent the morning, refusing to leave Aizawa's side in the hospital, time had passed by quickly. Before you knew it, it was already past one, and now you were rushing to get around to go to the café you had promised Detective Tsukauchi to meet up at.

After the attack at USJ yesterday, all class 1-A students had been questioned, including you. Apparently a lot of students saw your efforts to fight, and you were commended for your bravery and diligence by several pros. On top of that, though, you were scolded for disobeying a direct order from a pro-hero and one of your teachers, the threat of suspension looming over your head until Nezu had stepped in, saying there was no need for you to get in trouble for doing what was right. His reasoning was that you saw somebody in trouble, and acted to help, something a "true" hero would do. While it wasn't really why you had burst in, you thanked him anyways, grateful he had fished you out of trouble. After all, it's not like you could explain that there was somebody from a different dimension on the villains' side, somebody who may or may not be affiliated with you.

After the line of questioning, you were sent to Recovery Girl, the school's nurse. There was no need to heal you. Whatever bruises and scrapes you had accumulated, you healed quickly yourself, and unfortunately she couldn't replenish your stamina. With a lollipop and a pat on the head, you were told to go home and get some rest.

As if.

As soon as you were dismissed from U.A., you had went straight to the hospital, having arrived right when Aizawa had gotten out of surgery. He was all wrapped up like a mummy, and unconscious when you got there, but he was stable. He was safe. You hadn't been here for long, but you regarded Aizawa almost as a father figure, and weren't sure what exactly you would have done if it had been fatal. After all... Wasn't it your fault that you hadn't backed him up? If you had... You could have prevented this. Right?

You wound up spending the night at the hospital. Even though the nurses insisted that visiting hours were over, they didn't make any attempt to remove you from the room. You knew they pitied you, but you didn't care as long as they didn't make you leave. Throughout the next morning, you waited around, hoping for updates and for Aizawa to wake up, but he didn't, and eventually you were forced to leave and head back to your shared apartment to freshen up before your meeting.

Because of the attack on U.A., school was cancelled for the next two days. The brief reprieve was welcomed, honestly. You were quick to learn that school was definitely not your forte. You just were not a fan.

However, you couldn't rest - the night before, you had received a call from Detective Tsukauchi asking if you two could meet up today and go over how you're adjusting and the attack on USJ. As your otherworldly secret was kept from most law enforcement and pros, not many people could handle your information with care. You had relayed the best you could to All Might and Nezu, but Tsukauchi had requested to hear it from you directly.

Which... led you to now, in a small café.

"Ah, Miss [Y/n]. Over here."

At the sound of your name, you found the plain-looking detective and sat across from him, apologizing profusely for your tardiness as he held up a hand. "It's fine, I understand a lot has happened."

Unsure, you just nodded. Neither of you said anything as the server came over to grab drink orders, and you immediately ordered a parfait with your favorite fruit, assuming the detective would pay for it. You certainly weren't going to.

When the waitress left again, Tsukauchi spoke up, his voice kind. "Miss [Y/n], it's been only a week since you've been here, and things have been... lively, to say the least. Are you, um, adjusting well here?"

You felt bad for him. It was a semi-awkward situation, and he definitely didn't seem to know how to keep up a casual conversation with you. That was fine, you figured you could do enough talking for the both of you.

Leaning back in your chair, you ran a hand through slightly tangled [h/c] hair, your fingers gently working through the knots you didn't get when getting ready this morning. "Doesn't feel like it's been a week, but... I dunno. It's so different. Some of it is good different, but I don't really like this place, honestly," you confessed, meeting his eyes with a solemn look on your face. "All of these rules and regulations are so stiff. Not to mention unfair. This whole hero versus villain business just seems really two-dimensional. And then there are vigilantes, who try to do the right thing but get in trouble - it just seems way too black and white."

You weren't done rambling as Tsukauchi listened patiently. "Did you know I can't just go buy a ticket to go to another country? Because I'm not considered an adult here, I have to either wait a couple years or have my parents' consent. What's up with that? Back in my world, Gon and Killua and I could do whatever we wanted, and they're only 13 right now! We never needed a parent's permission. So I don't know. There are too many rules and laws to follow, and it's frustrating."

Done with your rant, you crossed your arms and huffed, your face becoming even more serious as you looked Tsukauchi squarely in the eyes. "At USJ yesterday... Those guys were trying to hurt us, and we weren't even allowed to fight back at all. I got in trouble for protecting myself and my friends. I didn't even hurt anybody - well, too badly. Do you realize how stupid that is?"

The poor detective, who had just listened to your onslaught of aggravated words, held his hands up in a placating manner. "I know it's different here than your own world, and it's probably overwhelming, but until you can get back, you can't stand out. I understand it's frustrating to you, but it's for your own safety. Do you understand?"

He was so nice that it made it hard to be mad at him, and you bitterly nodded, pursing your lips in a show of irritation. "I know. I know it's to keep me safe. But the villains already know about me apparently, so what's the point?"

"The point is that it's still not widely known. If it gets out that you're from... another place... you'll never have a moment of privacy. The media will be after you, every villain will be after you. You won't be able to move freely at all." You winced at that last part, at the thought of being cooped up somewhere, and Tsukauchi caught on, matching your eyes with a serious look of his own. "This isn't a game here. You could have died back there from fighting those villains. They wouldn't hesitate to kill you, even if you're a child--"

"I'm not a child!" Your voice came out louder and harsher than you meant, and you shrunk slightly as some of the café's visitors glanced over at the two of you. "I'm not a child," you repeated, more quietly. "I've been in more dangerous situations than you can probably imagine. This League of Villains or whatever is nothing compared to the Phantom Troupe. They don't scare me."

Tsukauchi shook his head, looking somewhat exasperated at your outburst. "I think you're underestimating the people of our world, Miss [Y/n]. I understand your abilities are versatile, but quirks here can be just as dangerous. If you get too sure of yourself, the next time you meet villains, you might not make it. Do you understand? That's why it's important for you to lay low, and not engage with a villain when he starts talking about your background."

Wincing, you asked, "You heard about that?"

Tsukauchi chuckled. "All Might was there, too. Your classmates should drop it and not bother you about it, so don't worry. We told them that the villains were just making stuff up to cause discord." You nodded, and it was at this time the waitress came back, placing a large parfait filled with your favorite fruit to the top. Immediately, you started to dig in, thanking the waitress and then Tsukauchi, who only watched you with an amused look on his face.

Deciding to steer the conversation away from your questionable morality and your clear aggravation with this world, Tsukauchi spoke up again. "Miss [Y/n] . . . I heard what happened at USJ from All Might, but I'd like to hear your side. What exactly happened between you and Shigaraki Tomura?"

You swallowed thickly, tilting your head to the side in confusion. "Who?"

"Shigaraki Tomura. He is the apparent leader of the League of Villains."

". . . Hand guy?"

Tsukauchi was exasperated, but nodded. "Yes. He led the entire operation, and, according to All Might, targeted you specifically."

Shoveling another bite of parfait into your mouth, you nodded in agreement, chewing for a moment before swallowing. "I don't know what all you were told, but I'm not the only one here. There's a nen user on their side, and I have a feeling it's somebody I know," you told the detective, stirring around the parfait in thought. "That weird creature that All Might knocked out of USJ... I think its name was Nomu? Either way, it had nen infused in it."

At your words, Tsukauchi hummed, a thoughtful look on his face. "Do you think this Nomu was from your world?"

"No." Your answer was quick and decisive, and you took a smaller bite of your dessert. "This nen was different. As if it was jammed into the creature. I don't think the people here normally have the capacity for nen, because you all feel different. But, like, if that's the case, that means somebody else jammed that nen into the creature."

"And that's why you believe somebody else from your world is here."

"Mhm!" You wished you could offer suggestions, but right now you had a very limited list, and that list only consisted of people you knew weren't involved. That, unfortunately, meant that you were nowhere in your own investigation. "Whoever it is, filled in Tomura or whatever on me being here, because as soon as I attacked Nomu, they knew who I was and where I was from. They wanted to take me."

Your casual news shocked Tsukauchi, a disturbed look on his face, and you waved your hand around dismissively. "I won't go with them, don't worry. I don't really appreciate that they attacked me or my friends, and especially that they hurt Aizawa so bad. But I'm super curious as to who that other nen user is..."

Pouting, you rested your head onto the table, dramatically moping. "I just want to go home, and this nen user could be the key, if I can just find them--"

"No." This time, it was Tsukauchi who answered quickly, cutting off your musing as you sat back up. He was stern, his eyes sharp. "You cannot seek out the League of Villains. You understand that if they get you, you might not be able to come back. Leave this investigation to the pros, [Y/n]." His words came out harsh, and while you could understand that he just was thinking of your well-being, you were somewhat pissed off that he didn't trust you to be able to do this. You doubted anything you could say would change his mind, though, and so you sighed, lips thinning.

Reluctantly, you nodded. "I guess. But if it gets worse... This involves me directly, now, and I have every right to seek out answers, don't I?"

You could tell that wasn't what Tsukauchi wanted to hear, and he shook his head, pressing on. "Promise. Promise you'll drop this."

Promise? You couldn't make a promise you couldn't keep. You couldn't drop this. Choosing to not say that, you pretended to agree, relenting for the time being. "Alright, alright. But if they confront me, I'm not just backing down. Okay?"

Poor Tsukauchi, you could tell you were driving him nuts, and he raked his hand across the top of his head. You were severely stressing him out. "Just stay safe, Miss [Y/n]. We only want to keep you safe until you can get back to your own home."

You didn't doubt that, and instead you nodded grimly, stretching your arms above your head and faking a dramatic yawn. "Sorry," you apologized somewhat flatly, "I don't think I got a lot of sleep last night, staying at the hospital and all. I should probably head back so I can get some actual rest and clean up the apartment for when Aizawa gets back," you said, before plastering a bright smile on your face to appease the detective. "If I find out anything else, I'll let you know! So do the same for me! Thanks for paying, bye!"

Quickly zooming out of the café, you fished out your phone, heading back to the apartment before Tsukauchi could try and stop you or ask any other questions. Like hell you were going to sit back and do nothing. Honestly, that detective was crazy. As much as you appreciated everything he had done for you, you didn't like that they were all still treating you like some little kid who had no clue as to what she was doing.

One way or another, you would find out who that nen user was.

Making it home, you cringed at the state the apartment was in, starting to slowly pick things up and at least make it look somewhat livable. It had only been a day since Aizawa was gone, but from that day you hadn't really bothered to do anything. Granted, it wasn't the tidiest place to begin with, but if Aizawa saw this mess... You could already imagine his irritated scolding at your laziness.

Once the apartment was somewhat decent, you dug around until you found a spare notebook, uncapping a red pen that you had found and sitting at the dining room table. In your own written language, you wrote down "OPERATION: HOME", before creating bullet points to note down the information you knew so far. It wasn't a lot, but your investigation had to start somewhere!

By the time you were finished jotting down notes, a suspect list, and what little you knew of the League of Villains and its leader, it was late, and you were just getting ready to hit the hay when the door opened slowly.

"Huh?"

Peeping your head out, your eyes lit up immediately at the figure in the doorway, and you ran to hug him.

"Aizawa! You're okay!"

Your teacher grunted, awkwardly patting you on the head with what little mobility he had, and you noticed the figure behind him. "Oh, you're Present Mic!"

Present Mic, who was also your English teacher, seemed just as surprised to see you just as you were to see him as he helped Aizawa inside. "Shouta, you have a kid?!" Present Mic exclaimed, at the same time you asked, "Is he your boyfriend?"

"Both of you, shut up."

You and Present Mic both laughed at Aizawa's predictably grumpy nature, and for the first time today you managed to relax, finally able to see your guardian. Seeing him hobble around comforted you that he would be fine, and you closed the door behind the two, goofy smile on your face.

Everything would be fine, and for now, that's all you could hold on to.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.9K 1K 35
"You know, optimistic fools die early but...I like your confidence so I'll let it slide." ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ A broken gi...
215K 7.7K 42
𝘏𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘴𝘭𝘪𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘥. 𝘌𝘺𝘦𝘴 𝘸𝘪𝘥𝘦. 𝘔𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘩 𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘱𝘦. 𝘐𝘵 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘧𝘢𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘳. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘯 𝘩𝘦𝘳 �...
27K 617 19
Killua and Gon find themselves in another universe without any idea on how to get back into their own world. They meet others, make new friends, but...
89.9K 3.5K 44
This story has been rewritten! _____ After many months of Gon and Killua being separated, a cloaked figure took Gon to a new world. Killua and Alluka...