Asdfghjklove.

By potentialkingsman

There are things you can't and won't be able to explain. If you don't know how to get the right words out of... More

Before Anything Else
Essay and Another Project
Unexpected
Fighting
Exams
Graduation
Mom on the line
Title your Story Part
<A> Chapter One
<S> Chapter Two
<D> Chapter Three
<F> Chapter Four
<G> Chapter Five
<H> Chapter Six

Absent

20 0 0
By potentialkingsman

CHRISTINA

Leo didn't come to school today. Not anyone got bothered besides me though. That's because he barely participates for us to know that he exists and is actually part of the class.

To be honest, if you happen to randomly walk into Leo outside of the school, you won't really think of him as an introvert. The fact that he's a tall, freckled mestizo, pale-skinned, red-cheeked, visible nose line and perfect-shaped lips teenage boy then no. Not at all.

Others took advantage on making jokes about him. Well, they were a bit funny. I just can't stand the fact that it's somewhat bullying.

There was a part on how Leo celebrates his birthday - that he goes a foundation for the deaf and mute and they all try to make noise to have fun.

The class gathered on Elvey's place, the comedian of the class who's, unfortunately, my seat mate.

I would often get scolded when he whispers a joke to me and I suddenly laugh while the Teacher's discussing.

"What's the difference between Leo being present and Leo being absent?" Elvey asks.

"What is it?" Mark said from behind.

"Nothing" he pauses for a second and continues, "Nothing at all"

Then they all blurt into laughter while I give them a smirk.

Adrianna, the socialite in class, noticed that I wasn't in the mood to join them.

"Looks like someone isn't happy with us making fun of her - " she then elbows her best friend, Mia, before she ends her sentence, " - partner."

The entire class tease me and I just give them a fake laugh back.

"Ha-ha!"

Everyone goes back to their business focusing on the jokes about Leo. I didn't bother anymore and instead opened my Calculus book.

Valentine abruptly sits on the empty chair in front of me and faces it towards mine.

"Hey" he says.

I still focus on my Calculus book aware that he's talking to me.

"Hey" I reply.

He becomes quiet for a second so I face him instead and close the book, "What is it? Need anything?" I ask trying to put a smile on my face.

"Oh nothing. I was just wondering..." he indirectly speaks, "that.... uhm.... since we're talking about partners, and Leo, are you two -"

If this guy's going to ask me if we're getting along then that is a big 'no' so I immediately cut his sentence off shaking my head. Well, at least no one has to know.

"Oh have you started?" he sighs.

"Started?" I ask curiously recalling his question. This time, I think he wasn't really asking about us being friends.

"Oh. Are you talking about the project?"

"Yes, yes" he confirms, "What did you think?"

I didn't know what to say. It's a good thing Madeleine comes over and starts joining our conversation.

It's obvious how she'd been crushing on Valentine since he was introduced to our class.

Valentine came to school early in November after semestral break this year. He's a sit in though and that's because he's from Japan.

Valentine studies in an International School in his country but since it's winter season there, his parents were afraid they won't be able to survive the negative celsius weather (whatever) and so they moved here temporarily just until mid-February. And that's next week. Time flies so fast. He's leaving soon.

"So what are you guys talking about?" Madeleine asks as she leans on one side of my desk.

"Oh, nothing" I answer, "Valentine was just asking if me and Leo are done with our project."

"Oh yeah are you guys done with it then?" she interrogates.

Ugh why did I have to tell her the truth? Tssss. Madeleine is actually a pretty smart girl. Yet very competitive. She's first in class sometimes. I go second, sometimes. Although, that's because she sabotages the entire class not only me. She'll tell us not to do these things and that and those shit because she wouldn't do it too and the teacher won't be able to do anything about it because we all didn't do it. Yet low and behold, the next day, she has done those shit while the rest of the class have got nothing to show. Hello Miss Responsible to her and deduction of grade to us, oh well.

"Uhm, kind of finished with it" I retort, "We did it on...." I wanted to share to them about his place last night and that we half way did the project but he says he'll kill me if anyone finds out.

"Oh" I spoke again trying to take it back, "Nevermind"

"What, no... you were trying to say something" Valentine purports.

"Oh nothing I was just gunna share that we planned it on break time yesterday but I doubt you would be interested on that" I responded looking guilty to both of them. Lying once again. I'm starting to be really good at this.

"No, actually that's very interesting. What were you guys planning?" Madeleine annoyingly asks again.

I try to lie one last time, "Nothing actually, I don't know I might do it by myself."

I can't tell Madeleine about what we did. She's my friend but she's also an idea stealer plus credit taker. I don't think Leo will mind if they think I'm the one doing the project, besides, he doesn't want anybody else to know we talk.

"Planning?" Chelsea approaches with her boy friend Jonathan.

"Are we planning a party here? Who's place?" she claps her hand holding a phone on each one of them.

"No, Chels" I giggled together with Valentine and Madeleine.

"Planning about the project" I said.

"Yuck" she pouts, "Wait.... how's Leo?"

Valentine answers for me, "she says she might be doing the project by herself."

"Ahhh! Good for Leo. He has you as a partner" she then looks at Kaye, her partner, and sighs.

"Well this is for both of you to learn how to actually do something on projects" I say.

"Well, I won't really be needing the learning-how -to-do-projects part. My dad says I can always work for the company" she says and faces Jonathan.

Why are these people like this? They don't understand how it's important to actually learn these things. I wanna tell them how their businesses can go bankrupt anytime but I'd rather not.

Watch your mouth - I remind myself even though I know that I should tell them that not everything in the world is permanent. We should learn how to be ready for what is going to happen in our lives. We must value what is with us right now. The world we're living on is full of surprises.

Madeleine then faces Valentine once again.

"So Val, now moving on to parties as Chelsea said, aren't you having a farewell party before you leave us?" she asks pouting, flickering her eyes in a very annoying way whilst holding him on his shoulder.

"Yeah, Val. Aren't you having a party?" Chelsea repeats.

Valentine stares at me and shrugs trying to remove Madeleine's hand. I'm guessing he's feeling very uncomfortable.

"Party?" now the entire class gather towards us. Obviously, everyone heard.

The boys encourage Valentine to throw a casual party before he leaves, "C'mon dude it'll be great!"

"Yes, but what will I say to my parents? They're only throwing out a party for the business. And it's a formal gathering. A black and white suit thing. I don't think I can bring or invite all of you there, I'm sorry" Valentine says.

"Well, yeah. We're telling you a different thing" Mark, the star player of the basketball team, speaks.

"Just our class, no business. All of us are getting tired of formal parties come on" Trevor, the Junior girls' crush, begs Valentine this time. The entire class quickly discusses the details of the party all at once.

"Well, I'll try if I can rent the clubhouse for you on Sunday. I'll just inform everyone on facebook" Valentine says.

"That's the spirit!" they all cheer and applause for Valentine. Some boys tapped him on the back.

I still wasn't in the mood.

Suddenly our last period teacher comes in. It's English class so it's Miss Keyton. Everybody starts going back to their seats except for Valentine.

He stands up from the chair he was sitting on which was in front of me and moves closer.

"If this party.... uhm.... you know... will push through.. Will you go?" he whispers to me.

"I'm not sure" I start speaking also in a low voice as I grab my notebook out from my bag, "I guess.... Depends what time though. I'll be training for the business with my parents starting tomorrow."

I explain further hoping I could reason out, "And I'm not sure if I could get home early... I might call Leo when I arrive and ask him to do the project with me, I really want to finish it soon."

Val just nods and I notice his face change blank. He starts walking back to his chair and feeling bad, I suddenly pull him by his arm saying, "But.... you know... you're also leaving soon so I guess I still have other times to do the project. We'll see."

The expression on his face brightened. Ugh I hate making promises and doing it. Why was I born with an inch of that nice attitude? Errr. I should stop faking to others just to make 'em feel better.

"Oh, okay. Thanks Christina!" he smiles, "I'd really appreciate it if you'd come."

I notice Madeleine staring at us so I let go of his hand and just simply give him a nod.

"Oh. And you can bring Leo too. I'm guessing you have his contact as his partner so you can inform him about it" he says smiling and goes back to his chair.

I mouth him an 'okay' while giving him a thumbs up. I guess the party's going to happen then.

Then I face Miss Keyton.

"Miss Burney" she says.

The entire class stares at me. Uh oh.

"Where's Mister Alves?" she looks around the room.

The entire class teases me once more wondering why Miss Keyton asked me that. And I suddenly remember what happened yesterday after school. No shit, sherlock.

"Quiet class" she taps on the teacher's desk and my classmates stop teasing and howling. They all turn to her.

"Uhm... Miss... He's absent..."

"Well yes, I know, I see that" Miss Keyton says. The class chuckle and she taps on the desk once again.

"Okay then. I was just hoping I could talk to him about yesterday. Regarding the matter on whatever happened" she repeats and the class gives me a suspicious look once again.

Errr. Ahhh.

"Anyways, we can talk about it some other time" she says, "now... class -" She starts speaking and discussing in front but I wasn't listening because I was thinking about Leo's whereabouts. Again.

Suddenly, Elvey comes closer to my seat and asks, "What happened yesterday?!"

The person in front of me, Adrianna, asks too, "Are you the reason why he's absent? Is that what you're feeling bad about?"

"No!" I shout.

I tap my desk loud enough for teacher to hear. The class faces me again.

"What's the matter this time, Christina?" Miss Keyton looks back even though she was actually starting to write on the board.

"I'm sorry, ma'am. Nothing"

"Then be quiet" she says.

I try to focus on the discussion this time and so does everyone.

This is a weird day. Where the hell did Leo go?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65 1 21
The True Meaning of Love and Getting a Relationship / Marriage
345 32 9
More than just friends, but less than lovers.
103K 2.8K 12
expect the unexpected.
220K 8.4K 51
Charlotte's life at home was anything but simple. There was a lot of fighting and money issues, but everyone climbs a mountain to see the sunrise. Ch...