The Daughter of Time (Ace of...

By marcyswales17

Ace of Queen series. Maya Dorin's story More

Ch.1 Steal a Glimpse
Ch.2 Angel
Ch.3 Life's a beach
Ch.4 Ink
Ch.5 What's your name?
Ch.6 Tigress
Ch.7 Sweet Baby
Ch.8 Brown Eyed Devil
Ch.9 The King
Ch.10 Sand and Time
Ch.11 For Hire
Ch.12 Three Full Moons
Ch.13 Chef's Kiss
Ch.14 Family
Ch.15 Derailed
Ch.17 Creating Chaos
Ch.18 Gemini Blues
Ch.19 Lie to Me
Ch.20 Bleeding heart
Ch.21 Mati
Ch.22 Aphros
Ch.23 My Fiza
Ch.24 Never be Enough
Ch.25 You're home....
Ch.26 When you're in love
Ch.27 Home in You
Ch.28 Little things
Ch.29 Olives
Ch.30 If I had a soul....
Ch.31 Sugarless
Ch.32 Boundaries
Ch.33 Good News
Ch.34 A Whole New World
Ch.35 Three Wishes
Ch.36 Tyveer
Ch.37 Bells of Hell
Ch.38 Ira
Ch. 39 White Tiger
Ch.40 A Promise
Ch.41 See no evil, Hear no evil
Ch.42 The temple of Apollo
Ch.43 A Good Man
Ch.44 Thetis
Ch.45 Time Keeper
Ch.46 Selfish
Ch.47 A family Man
Ch.48 Nura
CH.49 Three
Ch.50 Heal
Ch.50 Flames
Ch.52 Clare Bear
Ch.53 Shooting Stars
Ch. 54 Comet
Epilogue

Ch.16 Granddaughter

10.1K 733 395
By marcyswales17

Chapter 16

Going to sleep was out of the question for Maya. Her heart burned and her mind raced with unpleasant thoughts. She wanted to walk out into the snow storm and scream her lungs out in the darkness. But the thought that no one would hear her or come to her relief made her feel worse. She laid on her bed curled up into a ball. Her eyes stared at the blank wall in front of her.

Where did everything start to go wrong?

After hours of tossing and turning, Maya finally sat up and ventured out into the halls. She roamed around in the darkness looking at every painting and nick nacks in the house. The floorboard beneath her feet cracked in the old house but Maya didn't care. She found comfort in them as if they were the only one responding to and witnessing her heartache.

Maya, Heyder suddenly opened their mind-link. Why are you not asleep?

Maya didn't respond. She stood in front of the painting of Fiza in the study and let her tired blue eyes wash over it. She took note of how every brush stroke was perfect, every color carefully placed, every ray of light from the fireplace hitting the gold frame in the most divine way.

It was evident from the painting how much the painter loved his subject. All the focus was on her. She was at the center of the canvas, demanding the viewer's attention. No doubt that was how the painter himself saw her. The center of his universe....

Maya felt a bitterness rise in her throat. She felt her nails dig into her palm as she moved away and pulled back a chair from the table. With each beat of her heart, the ache spread a little more all over her body. She ran a hand through her hair and then rubbed her eyes. The restlessness in her made her want to itch at her skin until her flesh fell off.

For a brief second, Maya wondered if she should leave. But as soon as the thought had entered her mind, the bitterness in her intensified. There was no way she was leaving Heyder alone with Fiza. She knew staying and seeing them together would be the end of her, but if she had to suffer then so did he. Maya would stay right in front of his eyes so he never forgot just how much she wanted him.

As Maya sat on the chair with her knees pulled up to her chest, she felt Heyder's warm gaze on the back of her neck. She remained still in her seat and didn't let him know that she knew he was standing at the door. After some time, she heard Heyder sigh and walk in.

"What are you doing here?" He asked as he sank into the chair beside her.

"Wondering if I will survive prison life," Maya rubbed her eyes.

"Are you a wanted criminal or something?" Heyder raised a brow.

"No, but I will be after I kill you and Fiza."

Heyder gave a short laugh. He stretched his legs out and leaned back in his chair. From the corner of her eyes, Maya watched him move his finger as her chair began to turn in his direction on it's own.

"I'm surprised you are here," Maya said as she looked up at Heyder.

"I was worried about you."

"Oh be still my beating heart," Maya rolled her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Maya," Heyder said as he locked his eyes on her face. "I don't know what came over me when I saw her. All I could think about in that moment was that I had to make sure she was safe."

"You love her," Maya said with a sigh. She moved her legs down and folded them in front of her on the chair. "No one really forgets their first love."

Heyder remained quiet for a few minutes. When he didn't deny Maya's declaration about his love for Fiza, Maya felt her heart shatter a bit more.

Why couldn't he love her?

"I don't know how she's here," Heyder said with a sigh. "I'll have to fi-"

"She's here because of me," Maya stopped him. "I fucked up."

"What do you mean?"

"My traveling to the past disturbed the time veil. There have been mini ripples and tears. I'm guessing it got worse and she just fell through. But then again.....that's only my theory. She could be something totally different."

"She could be," Heyder agreed.

"But you would know," Maya looked up at him. "You would know if your Fiza was not who she said she was."

The corner of Heyder's mouth turned up slightly as he tried to hide a small smile, "You're jealous."

"Observant, aren't we?" Maya threw his own words back at him from earlier in the day.

"And you're not even trying to hide it."

"Why should I hide it?"

"Most people would," Heyder stated.

"That's their problem," Maya turned her face away to look at the fireplace. She felt Heyder's eyes linger on her face as his gaze heated up her cheeks.

"Maya," he called her after a while.

"What?"

"I do love you."

"I thought jinns can't lie," Maya frowned as she turned to look at her mate.

"I love you because I know who you are," Heyder explained. "I love you because I know we are meant to be, because I always find you. But I'm not in love with you."

"How sweet," Maya snorted.

"I think it would be unfair to you if I were to be in love with you because I loved Fiza or Diana or Willow," Heyder ignored Maya's remark. "I want to be in love with you because you are Maya. I want to love little things about you and not your past selves."

Maya dropped her gaze to her fingers as she picked at her nail. Her heart was split into two as it ran in circles. She was starting to understand what Heyder was getting at, but she was also very impatient. She wanted to skip all the parts in the beginning and arrive at the moments in their relationship where he saw nothing but her.

"So what do we do?" Maya looked up as she let go of the breath she was holding.

"I would like to get to know you," Heyder smiled. "Find out what makes you tick. Discover all the ways I can annoy you."

"And how will we do that with your wife in the other room?"

"First of all, she's not my wife," Heyder smirked. "And second of all, she's not staying."

"She's not?" Maya was surprised.

"No," Heyder shook his head.

"I thought...."

"She doesn't belong here," Heyder rubbed the five o'clock shadow that was starting to appear on his face. "How will it even work when we break the curse?"

"It will break for her since you kissed her," Maya said. "We haven't kissed yet, so therefore I am still un-cursed."

"I guess," Heyder said quietly.

"Don't you want that?" Maya felt her heart shrink a little in her chest. "You could be with her here once you break the curse."

Heyder's brown eyes lifted as he looked at Maya through his thick dark lashes. His jaw tensed as Maya took a shaky breath.

"You love her," she continued. "She was the first one you ever loved. You could start your life with her again. Have that wedding, finish the house, maybe even have kids."

Maya laughed quietly. She bit down on her bottom lip and looked over to the fireplace one more.

"The man that wanted all that died many years ago with her," Heyder followed Maya's eyes to the fireplace. "I'm not the Emir Fiza fell in love with."

"No, you're not," Maya said. "You're not as kind."

"I'm not what you expected, am I?"

"No," Maya shook her head. She turned her eyes to find Heyder watching her. "But you're still everything I want."

"And you're everything I need," Heyder said. He leisurely rose from his chair and held his hand out for Maya.

Maya didn't waste any time to think as she took his hand and let him pull her out of her seat. He tugged her forward until she was pressed against his chest. His strong arms wrapped around her as she hooked hers around his neck.

"Tell me about yourself, Maya Dorin," Heyder whispered as he gazed into her eyes.

"What would you like to know?" Maya smiled.

"What's your favorite color?"

"Black. You?"

"Red,"

"I can't stand red," Maya scrunched up her nose.

"Black and red," Heyder smiled. "A classic combination."

"You and I, we're always in style," Maya leaned her head against his heart. "Do you remember seeing me that day at the beach?"

"Yes," Heyder said as he pressed his cheek to her hair. "It would be an understatement to say I was shocked."

"Did you know how I was?" Maya lifted her head to look at her mate.

"No," Heyder said. "I had no idea who you were. All I knew was that a 13 year old had tried to wipe me off the face of the earth."

"It was an accident," Maya laughed. "I'm sorry."

"You had me fearing for my life," Heyder teased.

"What about that day at the balcony?" Maya asked. "How did you know?"

"I could feel you sometimes," Heyder said. He unwrapped an arm from around her waist and pushed her smooth hair out of her face. "I can't explain it, but sometimes I knew someone was watching me or standing right next to me. Sometimes, I even heard your voice."

"You did?"

"Yes," Heyder nodded. "Like a whisper or a memory crossing your mind."

Maya's lips pulled up into a smile, "Thank you for saving me that day."

"I couldn't live with myself if I didn't," Heyder sighed.

Maya pushed to her tippy toe and placed a small kiss on his cheek. She felt a surge of energy rush over her body as he pulled her closer and buried his face in her hair. His warm breath tickled her neck as he brushed his lips over her shoulder.

"Winter or summer?" He whispered into her ear.

"Fall and Spring," Maya said as she shivered from his touch. "Ice cream or cake?"

"Tea," Heyder smiled against her cool skin. "Breakfast in bed or candle light dinner?"

Maya didn't answer right away. She felt her stomach tighten from the ideas that flashed behind her eyes. Heyder pulled back slightly to look at her as she stood biting her bottom lip.

"Just hours and hours in bed," Maya said as her eyes fell on the jinn's lips.

Heyder held back his smile as he moved his hand up Maya's back and tangled his fingers in her hair. He gently tugged her head back and exposed her long neck. Maya's lips parted in anticipation as Heyder brushed his mouth over her smooth skin.

"Silk or lace?" She asked as he teased her skin.

"Nothing at all," Heyder's chest rumbled as he crushed Maya against himself. She used her arms to pull herself closer to him until he lifted her off the floor and carried her over to the sofa.

Their ragged breaths mirrored each other as Heyder took a seat with Maya on his lap. Her legs were on either side of him as he nibbled on her shoulder and neck. Maya moved her hips and earned a groan from the jinn as his fingers dug into her hips. She smiled to herself as she moved over him again.

"Stop," Heyder gripped her hip and made her still.

"You said just no kissing," Maya complained.

Heyder chuckled as he leaned his head back and untangled his hand from her hair. Maya fell against his chest as he shook with laughter. Her heart started to swell up with how good it sounded.

"You are vicious and scary," Heyder said.

"Am I?" Maya smirked.

"You are terrifying the living hell out of me," Heyder said looking up at her. "I come so close to throwing everything out the window when I'm near you."

"Maybe you should," Maya said.

"Maya," Heyder frowned.

"Hear me out," Maya climbed off his lap and took the seat beside him. Heyder felt her feet on his lap as he waited for her to continue. "As I was talking about Fiza, something occurred to me. If you don't kiss me, there is no cure to break."

"You stay safe," Heyder said.

"Yes, but if there is no curse then what are we trying to break?" Maya asked.

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying that you have to kiss me," Maya said. "We can only break a curse when there is a curse."

"No," Heyder frowned. "It's too risky."

"It has to happen,"

"What you are saying makes sense, but no."

"Why not?" Maya protested.

"I'm not kissing you until I have the cure in my hand," Heyder's voice had lost all of it's playfulness. "Who knows when we will figure this out. It might take years."

"Seriously?" Maya whined. "Years."

"I don't know," Heyder said. "But I'm not purposefully starting the timer."

"Then let me help!" Maya pleaded. "Please. We can do so much together. Don't shut me out."

"I'm not shutting you out," Heyder shook his head. "It's unsafe."

"Did you miss the part where I beat the hell out of your brother?" Maya raised a brow. "Didn't you see how well we worked together?"

Heyder shut his eyes and groaned. He rubbed his face with both hands as Maya waited for him to answer.

"Please," she said, poking him.

With a heavy sigh Heyder nodded, "Okay.....fine....but I will only tell you what you need to know. There are just somethings I can't share with you."

"Why not?"

"For your safety," Heyder said.

"Okay," Maya nodded. "I can work with that."

Heyder took in a deep breath and ruffled his hair as Maya jumped up from the sofa. She rushed over to the table and began to look at all the papers scattered around.

"What do we know so far?" She asked.

"Not right now," Heyder pulled her back. "You need to go to sleep."

"I'm fine,"

"You have bags under your eyes," Heyder teased. "Go to sleep. We can start in the morning."

Maya folded her arms across her chest. She had a deep frown on her face as she started up at the jinn through her lashes.

"I need some sleep," Heyder said. "And I would like for you to join me."

Maya was about to protest when Heyder picked her up and threw her over his shoulder. She squirmed to get down but the jinn teleported them to the spare bedroom down the hall. She squealed as he laid her down and pulled his shirt over his head. Maya pushed herself up to her elbows as she let her eyes wander over him freely.

His arms were covered in tattoos. They rose up to his shoulders and then gave way to this smooth skin. Over his heart was the feather Willow had drawn for him and right below, on his ribcage was another large hummingbird. On his left side, right across the humming bird was a perfectly drawn rectangle with the image of an angel kissing a girl.

Maya reached out and traced her fingers over his hard body, "What's this?"

"I like it," Heyder said, looking at her fingers. "It reminded me of Theodora. She used to like angels."

"I like it," Maya admired.

Heyder placed one knee between her legs and leaned forward. He didn't stop until Maya was flat on her back, staring up at him with her hands on the belt loops of his pants. He smiled as he lowered himself and gathered her up in his arms. Maya shifted as Heyder rolled to his side and pulled her to his chest. She felt her heart flutter as he turned her around and buried his face in the crook of her neck.

With her back pressed against his chest, Maya felt her skin tingle to life as Heyder sighed and held her tightly. She laid perfectly still as she matched up her breathing to his and started to feel the blanket of slumber come over her.

_____________________

The next morning when Maya woke, she was completely alone. The bed was a mess as she sat up slowly and stretched. The sheets lingered with Heyder's scent as she pushed them off of herself and climbed down.

With sleep still coating her eyes, Maya walked to the study and found it empty. She was about to open her mind link to Heyder and ask him where he was when she heard voices coming from downstairs. Curiously, Maya moved to the bottom floor and followed the sounds.

Heyder stood leaned up against the counter to the left side of the kitchen as Fiza busied herself with dicing tomatoes. His eyes bounced to Maya as she entered the kitchen.

"Morning," Maya said with caution. She had no idea what to expect.

Fiza looked up and smiled, "Good morning."

"Fiza this is Maya," Heyder rushed through the introduction.

"You look just like me," Fiza set down the knife and wiped her hand on the small dish towel. "Are we related?"

"Maya is.... connected to you," Heyder said from where he stood.

"How do you two know each other?" Fiza asked looking over her shoulder to Heyder. "Is she your wife?"

"No," Heyder and Maya said together.

Fiza slowly turned to look at Maya once more. She gave a small smile as she waited for an explanation.

"Are you two together?" She asked.

Maya held her breath. She looked up at Heyder and waited for him to answer. He was deliberately trying not to look at her.

"Do you need anything else?" He asked Fiza as he walked out the fridge.

Maya felt her jaw drop to the floor. Did he just avoid the question?

"Some onion please," Fiza smiled sweetly.

What the hell? Maya mind- linked Heyder. Why didn't you answer the question?

I can explain, Heyder said calmly.

You better explain, Maya stomped over to the coffee machine and poured herself a cup. She looked over her shoulder and frowned as she watched Heyder hand Fiza the onion and their fingers brush.

"Heyder," she snapped. Both Fiza and Heyder turned to Maya. "Do you want coffee?"

"I already made him a cup this morning," Fiza said.

"Of course," Maya mumbled under her breath.

"I'll take another cup," Heyder sighed as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Did you not sleep well?" Fiza frowned. "I told you to lay down. Why don't you ever listen to me?"

"I'm sorry," Heyder said. "I was worried."

Maya narrowed her eyes at Heyder's soft tone from where she stood pouring coffee. She pushed the pot back into its slot aggressively before picking up the second mug and handing it over to Heyder.

"Oh, you forgot the milk," Fiza frowned as she looked down at the coffee.

"Excuse me?" Maya asked.

"Emir likes milk with his coffee," the girl said as she grabbed the milk from the fridge and poured a little into the mug.

"I didn't know, Heyder," Maya glared at her mate.

"That's alright," Fiza laughed. "I'm here now, and it'll all be okay, right?"

Maya wanted to throw her hot coffee onto the girl as she wrapped her arms around Heyder and smiled up to him. He looked down at her with a quick smile before he wiggled himself free and moved to the other side of the counter.

"Maya, would you like a plain omelette or with tomatoes and onion?" Fiza asked as she moved back to the chopping board.

"I think I will throw up if I eat anything," Maya said.

"Are you feeling alright?" Fiza frowned. "Want me to make you some tea?"

"No, thank you," Maya turned away and walked to the breakfast bar.

"I can't explain this feeling," Fiza said, shaking her head. "It's so strange seeing you here."

"The feeling is mutual," Maya sipped her black coffee.

"How many children did we end up having?" Fiza turned to look at Heyder.

Maya spit out her coffee back into the mug. She began to cough as she stared at Heyder in shock.

What the hell is happening? She demanded to know through their mind- link. What did you tell her?

"We can talk about that some other time," Heyder said to Fiza as he got up from the chair. Maya's eyes followed him as he walked out of the room and headed upstairs.

"He's not the same," Fiza frowned.

Maya turned to look at the girl, "I'm sorry?"

"I understand," Fiza sighed. "He's lived for so long without me. It must be strange for him to see me here. He wouldn't tell me about our family. I think he doesn't want to dig up old memories."

Maya didn't know what to say as she stared at the girl with wide eyes.

"I can't even imagine what it must have been like for him to outlive our children and then our grandchildren," Fiza continued.

"Yeah....." Maya sat the mug down on the counter slowly.

"But I am happy he's still in touch with our family," Fiza shook her head, smiling. "It makes me happy to see he's still watching over our lineage."

"Yeah...." Maya said once more as she got up from the chair. "I'm going to go upstairs....."

"Alright," Fiza nodded. "I'll call you when breakfast is ready."

Maya whirled around and ran out of the kitchen. She zoomed up the stairs and followed the narrow hall to the study.

"What the fuck, Heyder?" she asked as she burst through the door. "Why does your wife think I'm you great great great granddaughter?"

"Please do not phrase it like that," Heyder made a face. "I'm not into stuff like that."

"What did you tell her?" Maya closed the door and marched up to the jinn. "Did you tell her the truth?"

"No," Heyder said. "I couldn't."

"Why not?"

"I couldn't look into her eyes and tell her she never became my wife and that she died because of me," Heyder shook his head.

"So what did you tell her?"

"I told her I was immortal and that she has someone traveled to the future,"

"And she filled in the rest with me as your granddaughter."

"Maya," Heyder flinched again with disgust. "Stop saying that."

"This is wrong,"

"Yeah I know," Heyder said. "With your own granddaughter?"

"Shut up!" Maya smacked his chest. "I'm talking about Fiza. She needs to know the truth."

"It will overwhelm her," Heyder sighed. "Please, just let her think whatever she wants for a few hours before we send her back and close the time jumps."

"Why didn't you tell her we were together?"

"She will freak out,"

"And what about me?" Maya raised her voice. "I'm freaking out!"

"Maya," Heyder grabbed her arms and pulled her closer. "Please, I'm just asking for a few hours. We'll send her back and she will spend her very short limited time with Emir thinking she has a full happy life ahead of her."

"That's wrong,"

"I want her to be happy," Heyder said. "Please. Don't crush her."

"This is not fair," Maya shook her head. "To anyone."

"I know," Heyder bowed his head. "I'm fucked up. But I can't have her go back knowing she's doomed."

"I don-" Maya was about to say when the doorbell suddenly rang downstairs.

Heyder looked over his shoulder with suspicion before looking at Maya.

"Are you expecting someone?" he asked.

"Yes," Maya snorted. "Willow and Theodora."

Heyder ignored her comment as he walked out of the study and moved downstairs. Maya heard him say something to Fiza before the sound of the front door opening reached her ear. With a heavy sigh, she went to see who it was.

"Where is she?"

Maya heard a very familiar voice as she neared the top of the stairs. She moved a little quicker until she saw the person to whom the voice belonged to.

"Dad?" Maya asked, coming down the stairs.

"Maya," Exton sighed as his eyes landed on his daughter. He rushed forward and pulled her into his arms. His clothes were still cold from the winds outside. He kissed Maya's head several times before pulling back to look at her face.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Y-yes," Maya said. "What's wrong?"

"We got a call from the Vikings this morning," Exton said. "There was a tear in the time veil. You mom and I were worried something must have happened to you to cause such a thing."

"No...." Maya frowned. "I'm fine."

"Are you satisfied?" Heyder asked from where he stood by the door. "Now leave."

"Heyder!" Maya scolded him as Exton growled over his shoulder.

Maya jumped in between the two men as Heyder's eyes switched onto silver and Exton was seconds away from shifting.

"Stop!" Maya said as she held up her hands. "Cut it out!"

Suddenly, Fiza walked into the Foyer.

"Breakfast is ready!" She said cheerfully. "And Emir, your brother is here."

Maya and Heyder looked over to the girl in shock as Mirza appeared out of the living room.

"Family reunion," he said smiling.  

HAHAHA.....Oh this is a mess

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90 0 89
The continuing story of Kylie and her life with the Guards
16 2 29
Horror. Vampires. Love. Death
100K 8.2K 102
A Zulu Royal Story about a young girl choosen for the throne.
55K 1.4K 17
"You Showed Me The Beauty Of Life."