The Daughter of Time (Ace of...

By marcyswales17

Ace of Queen series. Maya Dorin's story More

Ch.1 Steal a Glimpse
Ch.2 Angel
Ch.3 Life's a beach
Ch.4 Ink
Ch.5 What's your name?
Ch.6 Tigress
Ch.7 Sweet Baby
Ch.9 The King
Ch.10 Sand and Time
Ch.11 For Hire
Ch.12 Three Full Moons
Ch.13 Chef's Kiss
Ch.14 Family
Ch.15 Derailed
Ch.16 Granddaughter
Ch.17 Creating Chaos
Ch.18 Gemini Blues
Ch.19 Lie to Me
Ch.20 Bleeding heart
Ch.21 Mati
Ch.22 Aphros
Ch.23 My Fiza
Ch.24 Never be Enough
Ch.25 You're home....
Ch.26 When you're in love
Ch.27 Home in You
Ch.28 Little things
Ch.29 Olives
Ch.30 If I had a soul....
Ch.31 Sugarless
Ch.32 Boundaries
Ch.33 Good News
Ch.34 A Whole New World
Ch.35 Three Wishes
Ch.36 Tyveer
Ch.37 Bells of Hell
Ch.38 Ira
Ch. 39 White Tiger
Ch.40 A Promise
Ch.41 See no evil, Hear no evil
Ch.42 The temple of Apollo
Ch.43 A Good Man
Ch.44 Thetis
Ch.45 Time Keeper
Ch.46 Selfish
Ch.47 A family Man
Ch.48 Nura
CH.49 Three
Ch.50 Heal
Ch.50 Flames
Ch.52 Clare Bear
Ch.53 Shooting Stars
Ch. 54 Comet
Epilogue

Ch.8 Brown Eyed Devil

10.6K 773 566
By marcyswales17

Chapter 8

Maya gasped loudly as she sat up on the sofa. Her heart stopped for a few seconds, before it tripped and stumbled. Maya began to lose her breath as she panted and cried. She looked around at the empty hotel room as her mind set on fire.

Heyder.......Heyder was Nick......her mate.

"Maya?" Adeline asked from the doorway as she dropped her bags by the entrance.

Maya didn't have the strength to speak as her sister entered the living room and frowned.

"What's wrong?" Adeline said in alarm as she rushed forward.

"Nick...." Maya said in between her shocked heartbeats.

"What?" Adeline sat down on the coffee table in front of her sister and looked into her eyes. "What happened?"

"I.....I traveled back," Maya bit down on her bottom lip to keep it from trembling. She felt her eyes water but she tilted her head back and fanned herself to keep the tears at bay.

"But the necklace," Adeline looked down at the little heart dangling from Maya's neck.

"Obviously, for some reason it's not working," Maya said. "I traveled back. And I saw Nick. He's......he was fighting Dad and Aunt Mavi."

"Why?" Adeline asked, her posture uneasy and her voice concerned.

"Because....." Maya didn't know if she could say the words aloud. Her stomach turned and her head spun. Was she under some kind of spell? How could Nick be Heyder.

"Maya?" Adeline shook her sister's shoulder. "What did you see?"

"Nick is Heyder," Maya spilled the secret.

"Oh my god," Adeline said, stunned. "What? That can't be......are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure!" Maya jumped up from the sofa. Adeline tried to stop her and keep her seated, but Maya brushed off her hands and began to pace the floor by the window. "I would recognize him anywhere, in any lifetime. I know what I saw. Nick is Heyder."

"But," Adeline frowned as she watched her sister. "Heyder and.....Aunt Mavi.....and Councilwoman Sofia."

"I know!" Maya said as she tugged at her hair. She stopped pacing the floor and placed her hands on her hips. She leaned forward and took several long drags of air. "I don't understand what is happening."

"Heyder is the bad guy," Adeline reminded her sister. "Mom and Dad always told us that. This makes sense now."

"What does?" Maya asked as she remained hunched over.

"Why you met Mirza first," Adeline stood up and walked over to her sister. "You belong with Mirza, not Heyder."

"But I don't want Mirza!" Maya said breathlessly. She felt her chest tighten at the thought of being with anyone else other than the brown eyed devil. "I know Heyder is wrong. I know he's not good.....but I still want him. He's my Nick. He's my Emir. I.....what is wrong with me?"

"Maya," Adeline held out her hand. "Take a deep breath."

"What do you think I'm doing?"

"You're overwhelmed right now."

"Clearly,"

"You need to tell Mom and Dad."

"No! Are you crazy?" Maya took a step back. "What am I going to tell them? That I'm in love with a maniac Jinn they imprisoned 23 years ago?"

Adeline didn't know what to say as she started at Maya with a worried expression.

"Oh my god," Maya shrieked. "Mom and Dad kept him locked up for 23 years! He's going to be pissed!"

"What do you mean?" Adeline asked with a nervous laugh. "We....we'll never know because he will never be released."

Maya stared at her sister in silence.

"Right, Maya?" Adeline took a step forward. "He's going to stay in that jar?"

"I.....I don't know," Maya said honestly. "I don't know anything."

"He's staying in the jar," Adeline said as if the decision was finalized. "You are going to tell Mom you started traveling again and she is going to make you a new necklace. You can date Mirza if you want or date some other guy. Life will go on but Heyder must never be released."

Maya's lips parted as something in her blue eyes shifted. Adeline didn't like the ping of fear that rose in her throat as she peered at her sister. She knew Maya was impulsive and too curious for her own good. It was her curiosity that would be the end of her one day.

"Maya," Adeline leaned forward and took her sister's hand. "Our family had gone through way too much. We can't raise more hell with Heyder. You understand that, don't you?"

"What if.....what if he's not as bad as he thought?"

"He tried to drain our mother of her powers while she was pregnant with us!" Adeline's eyes widened. "He tried to split up Mavi and Owen and invited Azazel into our home."

"But..."

"There is no but Maya," Adeline shook her head. "Maybe in the past he was good, maybe he loved you. But the Heyder our family met is not your Nick. He's dangerous and can never be trusted."

Maya stood like a statue staring at the floor. Her mind started to turn numb as the two halves of her heart raged war. She wanted to meet Heyder. She had so many questions for him. But she knew Adeline was right too. Maya felt her knees shake as the muscles in her leg grew weak. Leaning back on the window for support, Maya began to slide down the wall until she found herself sitting on the floor with her knees pressed to her chest. Adeline followed her and sat down in front of her.

"I can't believe this is happening to me," Maya said in disbelief. "Why is this family so damn cursed?"

"That's not true," Adeline rubbed her sister's arm.

"No one in this family ever got lucky in love...... well, except you."

"Every couple has their issues to work through," Adeline sighed as she dropped her hands. "But we're not cursed."

"We are," Maya said. She shut her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose. "What do I do, Ada?"

"Nothing," Adeline said. "You are going to do nothing. Just let mom and dad handle this."

"I can't tell them about Heyder," Maya shook her head. "It will drive them insane with worry and anger."

"Then you'll have to forget him," Adeline said. "You'll have to remind yourself that he is the monster from our bedtime stories not the prince on a white horse."

Maya slowly nodded her head. She felt her insides twist and her heart pain as she tried to light up all the memories of Nick and Emir in her mind. She didn't know how long she would last or which side of her heart would win. But she had to try. She had to try because if she was wrong then the consequences would be deadly.

____________________

"How was Milan?" Gemma asked as Maya passed the salad bowl to her at dinner.

"It was boring," Maya lied. Her eyes immediately flickered to Clare, who knew her cousin was lying.

Clare..... Maya opened their link.

I don't really care, Clare answered back. I won't talk.

"Adeline called," Xavier said from the head of the table.

"She did?" Maya dropped her gaze from Clare and turned to look at her grandfather. "Did she reach home safely?"

"Yes," Xavier nodded as he cut into his chicken. "Ben picked her up from the airport."

"That's good," Maya picked up her glass of wine and took a sip.

"Are you feeling alright, Maya?" Mavi asked from across the table.

"Yes," Maya laughed. "Why?"

"You've been a little quiet since you got back."

"Just a little tired," Maya shrugged. "I was up late and didn't sleep much during the flight."

"I really appreciate you attending the event with Ada," Mavi smiled. "You looked beautiful."

"Thanks," Maya smiled.

"I wish I could have gone," Cleo said with a deep sigh. "It was for animals. I would have loved to hear about the programs."

"Oh you would have loved it," Maya laughed. "I met a guy who runs a tiger rescue organization."

"Really?" Cleo perked up. "What's his name? What group is it?"

"I think the organization was called Tigress," Maya pushed her hair over her shoulder. "It's run by this guy. His name is Mirza. Mirza Kattan."

"I'll look him up," Cleo said as she picked up a string bean.

"You had coffee with Mirza," Clare suddenly said as she tilted her head to one side and stared at her cousin with a question in her gray eyes. "Why?"

"Jeez, Clare," Maya laughed. "Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag."

"Wait," Exton turned to look at his daughter. "Who is this guy?"

"Is he cute?" Gemma asked.

"He rescues Tigers?" Rye raised a brow. "Just what we need in this family."

"Oh my god," Maya groaned. "Calm down, you crazies. It was just one coffee. And I only went because Adeline forced me to go."

"How did you meet him?" Exton asked.

"I met him at the event," Maya said.

"Did you give him your number?" Rye asked.

"No," Clare said. "But she took his number."

"Clare!" Maya shook her head.

"Are you going to call him?" Mavi asked.

"Stop it!" Maya groaned. "This is why I don't tell you guys anything. I only had one coffee with this guy and I'm pretty sure Mom is already planning my wedding with him."

"I am not!" Gemma said in her defense.

"I sure hope not," Exton said. "I don't want my daughter marrying Tiger King."

"No one is going to marry anyone!" Maya said. "Paws! Step in any second now."

Xavier chuckled as he slowly cut his chicken to small pieces, "Leave her alone."

"Dad," Cleo turned to Owen who had been sitting quietly next to his wife. "Can I have a tiger?"

"No," Owen said.

"Why not?"

"Because it will eat you," Exton said laughing.

"Princess Jasmine had a tiger and it didn't eat her," Cleo stuck her tongue out at her uncle.

"You have more than enough pets," Owen said to his daughter.

"Never enough," Cleo frowned.

"Why couldn't you collect shoes or weird stuff animals," Clare asked. "Why animals?"

"Why couldn't you pick a different hair color or different eyes?" Cleo looked at her sister. "Why that face?"

"Cleo," Mavi said with disapproval as Rye tried to conceal her laughter.

"She started it!" Cleo pointed to her sister.

"And I will end it too," Clare smirked.

"Mom!"

"Enough," Rye said as she regained her composure. "I'll have you two feed the elderly at the hospital if you don't stop."

Maya was zoned out from the ordinary chaos of her family dinner. She rubbed the back of her neck as she picked at the string beans on her plate. She had hardly eaten anything and just spread the food around to make it seem as if she had. Her mind wandered to places she didn't want to go to but she couldn't help it.

"Hey guys," Maya suddenly said before she could stop herself. "Do you remember those stories about Jinns you use to tell us when we were kids?"

Mavi's eyes flickered to Owen for a split second before she looked away. Owen took a deep breath as he cleared his throat and shifted in his chair.

"Yes," Exton said. "What about them?"

"Nothing," Maya shrugged as if it was no big deal. "Adeline and I were just talking and we kind of both forgot about those stories. It was.... Strange."

"You guys were so young," Gemma said. "I don't expect you to remember at all."

"But I do," Maya said. "A little bit anyways."

"They are tricky beings," Xavier said. "Very cunning."

"And very good with words," Owen added. "They can't lie but they are very good at deceiving you with the truth."

Maya's heart sank as she listened to her family. She had forgotten jinn's couldn't lie. A new fear started to grow in her mind. What if Heyder had been tricking her?

But why would he do that? He was really in love with Fiza and Willow and maybe even Theodora. That couldn't have been a lie.

"How....how did you capture Heyder?" Maya asked in a quiet voice.

An uncomfortable silence fell around the table. Everyone looked around at one another without saying much. Maya could sense everyone's discomfort. Suddenly, Clare pushed her chair back and stood up.

"I'm having anxiety," she said quietly. "May I be excused?"

"Yes," Mavi said. "Do you want me to come with you, baby?"

"No," Clare shook her head. "I want to be alone, please."

"Okay," Owen said. "I'll bring you ice cream after dinner."

"Thank you, dad," Clare walked over and kissed her father's cheek before she exited the room.

Maya watched as everyone around the table suddenly forgot about her question and focused all their energy on the girl leaving.

"How has she been?" Rye asked her daughter. "I know she started counseling."

"She's tricky," Mavi sighed. "She doesn't say much. It's hard to understand her."

"She has her days," Gemma added. "Some times during training she's the happiest little thing but other days she looks as if she can tear apart the world."

"That's not terrifying at all," Cleo said under her breath.

"Do you think it's good for her to stay home all the time?" Maya asked. "I mean, she should be out there living her life."

"It's hard for her," Xavier said. "But I know she's trying. I see it."

"Yes," Owen nodded. "She surprised me at Adeline's wedding last summer."

"Yeah, that was sweet," Mavi smiled at the fond memory.

"Maybe that's what she needs," Maya said. "Good energy. Where do you find that? Like a.....good energy yoga club or something."

"She likes cooking," Exton shrugged.

"She did say something to be about a culinary school in France," Rye said.

And just like that, the rest of the dinner was spent talking about Clare. Maya was grateful for the distraction. She didn't know what had come over her when she had asked about Heyder. It was a bad move and she needed to be more careful. She had promised Adeline she would try and forget about him. However, the task was proving to be impossible. After dinner, as Rye and Cleo scooped ice cream for everyone Maya found herself watching Mavi.

Why her? Maya asked herself. Why did Heyder pick Mavi? Was he really in love with her aunt?

The thought bothered Maya more then she would have liked to admit. She was so desperate to understand what had happened. The millions of questions that came to her mind left her feeling overwhelmed and restless. But the fact that she may never have her answers drove her wild.

After a while, Maya rose to her feet with a sigh. Xavier looked up from his book and asked if she was okay.

"Yes," Maya nodded. "I'm going to bed."

"Don't you want ice cream?" Mavi asked from the piano.

"No, thank you," Maya's eyes darted to her aunt.

Suddenly, a very strange realization hit her. She continued to stare at the side profile of Mavi as her heart shrank.

Dark hair, sharp nose, high cheekbones.....

Maya's lips parted in a silent gasp. Mavi had an eerie similarity to Willow....which meant she had a similarity to Maya as well.

"Piggy," Maya called out to her aunt.

"Yes, baby doll?" Mavi smiled over her shoulder and she played the piano.

"This weekend someone at the event said you and I look alike," Maya smiled. "Do you think it's true?"

"Of course it's true," Mavi laughed. "You're my niece! We both have strong Dorin genes."

"Yes, I always said you two did look pretty similar," Rye said from where she helped Cleo. "One is blonde and one is a brunette."

"I would make a better twin with you," Mavi joked.

Maya gave a short laugh as her heart began to hurt. Was that why Heyder.......

"I'll bring Clare's ice cream up," She said as she shook her head quickly.

"Are you sure?" Owen asked.

"Yeah, yeah," Maya waved her hand. "I'm going up anyways."

She walked over to the table and grabbed two bowls of ice cream. She was about to leave when Rye stopped her and threw in two extra scoops into each bowl.

"You are the best," Maya said, kissing her cheek.

"Tell me something I don't know," Rye smirked.

Maya quickly hurried out of the family room and began to head towards Clare. She shook out her hair and tried to clear her mind as she took rapid steps until she arrived in front of the closed door. With her feet, she tapped on the door and waited for Clare.

"Clare?"

"Yes?" Clare asked from behind Maya.

"Shit!" Maya jumped in fright. "Where did you come from?"

"I was in the greenhouse," Clare said as she took her bowl of ice cream. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Maya said. She took a spoonful of the dessert and pushed it into her mouth.

"You shouldn't talk about him in front of my parents," Clare suddenly said.

"I'm sorry?"

"Heyder," Clare clarified. "They are still not over what he tried to do. It'll take them a while."

"Yeah," Maya said as her shoulders dropped. "It's going to take everyone a while."

"So what's the plan?"

"What do you mean?" Maya asked in confusion.

"How are you getting him out?"

"What?" Maya began to choke on the sugary food. "What are you talking about?"

"You are getting Heyder out, aren't you?"

"No!" Maya said in disbelief. "Why would I do that? He's dangerous."

"He's your mate," Clare said as if it was obvious.

Maya gave a short harsh laugh. She didn't like the way her heart did a flip.

"He's not my ma-" Before Maya could finish, Clare reached out and touched her forehead.

A sharp pain appeared on Maya's back as she felt the ice cream bowl drop from her hands. She felt her body lunge forward as the wind rushed past her ear. The ground moved from beneath her feet as she zoomed through time.

Maya shrieked as she slammed into a wall and sank to her knees. She grabbed her head as a pounding headache raged behind her eyes.

"Ah....what the fuck," she groaned as she rolled onto her back. She shut her eyes against the bright light and covered her face with her hands.

"No, no, no!" Someone muttered in the room. Maya quickly turned her head and found Heyder pacing the floor.

Had he seen her?

Maya jumped to her feet and groaned once more as the rush of blood made her headache worse. She threw one hand against the left side of her head and pressed down in hopes that it might hurt less. With an awkward limp, she straightened up and looked at the man pacing in front of her.

"You're not her," Heyder said as he rubbed the back of his neck. "I fucked up....again!"

"Heyder!" A girl called his name.

Maya turned to find Sofia standing behind her. The woman was dressed in a white wedding gown with a long veil that dragged behind her.

"What are you talking about?" Sofia demanded to know.

"You are not her," Heyder said again. He paused to look at the bride as his chest rose and feel in a desperate attempt to keep himself together. "I thought you were."

"Who are you talking about?" Sofia asked. "I'm not who?"

"Me!" Maya said. "You're not me!"

"I'm sorry, Sofia," Heyder took a step back. "I can't. This marriage means nothing to me now."

"We just got married!" Sofia yelled.

"I thought you were someone else. It's all my fault. I fucked up."

"Heyder," Sofia took a step forward. "I love you. We will be happy together."

"No!" Maya said as she watched the girl walk up to her face and take his face into her hands.

"I don't love you," Heyder said. "You need to leave."

"Leave?" Sofia frowned. "Go where?"

"Don't worry about that," Heyder took a step back. "I'll take care of it."

"I am your wife!"

"No," Heyder shook his head in anger. "You could never be my wife."

"Don't do this, Heyder," Sofia's eyes narrowed.

Maya turned her eyes to look at her the jinn when suddenly everything disappeared from around her. She looked around in shock as in a blink of an eye she found herself standing outside a victorian style home in the middle of a snow storm. Turning in her spot, Maya peered through the snow as she heard a soft giggle.

There, out in the yard, her gaze landed on Fiza.

Maya's heart began to beat with incredible speed as the girl ran through the snow with a playful laugh and looked over her shoulder. Maya followed her gaze to the man behind her. It was Heyder.

"Emir!" Fiza laughed. "Stop!"

Heyder's face broke into a huge grin as he scooped Fiza into his arms and twirled her around in the air. He brought her down and kissed her pink frozen cheeks before kissing her eyelids and then her lips.

Maya felt a tear run down her face as she started at the couple. He was so happy..... The light in his eyes and the smile on his lips.

"Do you like it?" Heyder asked Fiza as he turned her around to face the house.

"Yes," Fiza nodded. "But something is missing."

"What is it?"

"I want a pond. Over there," the girl pointed to a patch of land by the side of the house. "And I want Cherry blossoms all the way to the gate."

"What else?" Heyder asked as he rested his chin on the girl's shoulder and followed her fingers.

"A swing on the porch," Fiza said. "Oh! And bigger windows. I want to be able to see the snow from every room."

"That's it?" Heyder laughed.

"Yes," Fiza nodded as she turned around in his arms and looped her arms around his neck. "That's all."

"I'll see what I can do," Heyder teased.

"I want all the work done by our wedding," Fiza said.

"And if it's not?"

"Then..." Fiza pretended to think for a while. "I won't come out to see you when you come for your bride."

"Don't," Heyder yanked her closer. "I'll steal you away from under everyone's nose."

"You wouldn't dare," Fiza said, a bit breathless as her eyes dropped to his lips.

"Don't tempt me now," Heyder smirked. "Because I can't wait to bring you home."

Maya felt her heart burst into a million pieces. She knew how this story ended. Fiza would never come home. She really wouldn't come out to see him on their wedding day.

Fat, ugly tears rolled down her face as she covered her mouth and sobbed. She sank to her knees and covered her face as her shoulders shook.

"Maya!" Clare gripped her cousin's shoulder. "What happened?"

Maya looked up in alarm. She was no longer in the snow covered fields. She was on her knees in the palace halls with a bowl of ice cream on the floor.

"Are you okay?" Clare asked as she bent down to look at her.

"What....what happened?" Maya asked.

"I don't know," Clare shrugged. "You just dropped to your knees and started crying."

"I.....I did?" Maya asked. She couldn't remember how she had started the spell. "How.....how long was I on the floor?"

"Ah...like maybe ten seconds," Clare said.

That was odd, Maya thought. The spell usually lasted longer than that.

"You okay?" Clare rubbed her arm as she helped her stand back up.

"Yeah," Maya sniffled as she pushed her hair back.

"Don't lie," Clare frowned. "What did you see?"

"A lot," Maya sighed. "I... I need a minute."

"Do you want me to stay with you?"

"No," Maya shook her head. "Thank you, but I need to be alone right now."

"Okay...." Clare said. "Call me if you need anything."

"I will," Maya said as she picked up her bowl and began to walk away. Her mind played the image of Fiza and Heyder over and over again in her mind as she walked away from the girl. But with each passing step a frightening idea started to solidify in her mind.

She needed to get Heyder out.  

What are you thinking junebug? :) Also what was your favorite part? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.1K 1.4K 17
"You Showed Me The Beauty Of Life."
1.6K 78 26
393 0 50
Girl suffers from Stockholm syndrome and falls in love with a vampire
4.9K 265 22