Forbidden Fantasies (Darkest...

By SamanthaWilde

Aurora Beauchanan has a secret. As the daughter of the renowned Alchemist Nicholas Flamel, there are things a... More

1. Grimmauld Place 12
2. The High Council of Alchemists
3. Jealousy Doesn't Suit You
4. Debt and Retribution
5. Unexpected Travel Companion
6. Bloodmoon Ritual
7. Explanations and Consequences
8. Home Sweet Home
9. Revelations of the Past
10. Wicked Game
11. The Games We Play
12. Information Overload
13. Answering Questions
15. Trapped and Cornered
16. Outrage and Anger
17. Tempting fate
18. Taunting Truth
19. Fragments
20. Questionable Intentions
21. Irresistible Charm
22. Uncertainty
23. Midnight Squirmish
Important A/N
24. Unlikely Confidante
25. Are you Leaving or are you Staying?
26. What is There to Say?
27. A Kernel of Truth
28. Unaware of the Danger
29. Matters of the Heart
30. Someone I Used to Know
31. Tough Choices
32. Leave of Absence
33. Legacies
34. To Make Amends
36. To Separate The Lies From Truth
37. The Beauty Of A Broken Angel
38. Beyond the Veil
39. Before it Breaks
40. A Mother's Love
Epilogue-Severus Snape
Sinful Seduction

14. Many Roads Lead to Rome

12K 511 126
By SamanthaWilde

Well, first of all I'd like to thank @amadcat for the dedication of one of the chapters in her book, Always Together, which is awesome by the way!. Next I'd like to apologize in advance for what is about to happen in this chapter (or the next, not exactly sure when things will get a bit rough). And finally, please don't forget to comment and vote.

***********************************************************************************************************************

I was sulking.

That I knew. Sitting next to Severus the silence could be cut with a knife. We were both sitting on a bench in Villa Ada, Rome, Italy.

We were seated in the public area of the park, which was by far the largest. The bench iteself was shadowed by a big tree, and I was glad for that. The leaves were turning a dusky brown, and a crisp autunm wind was rustling through the park. Right now it was deserted, but I knew it wouldn't remain that way for long.

We were expecting company, after all.

"And when exactly are those supposed friends of yours to show up?" Severus' sarcastic remark came from beside me, and I flinched a little at his cold tone.

"They're not my friends" I muttered, my eyes darting across the empty grounds, hoping for any signs of movement.

"Well I would most certainly hope they were at this point in time" Severus replied snidely as he narrowed his eyes at me.

All he had been doing so far was taunt me. Mean, cruel comments designed specifically to piss me off and get under my skin. He hated being forced to go on this assignment with me. He hated having to apend time in my company.

"I've been here before" I hissed "But vampire Covens aren't easy to acess, let alone influence their inner policies and politics"

There was a brief silence, one in which I hoped Severus would shut up and back off. He had been insufferable every step of the way so far. It was as if ever since our fight he had just decided that whatever resemblance of politeness or normalcy between us was unnecessary. The whole 'not talking' policy had failed miserably, buthe had found that being a complete ass towards me largely made up for that.

"Covens?" He asked with a snort "Anything else that I should know before we head into the lair of these bloodsucking creatures?"

His voice was sarcastic, but my eyes snapped to his in warning.

"Don't talk like that. Vampires are very sensitive when it comes to their kind. They live in Covens, and they have an archaic way of living. There is a Royal Coucil, composed of Seven Vampire Princes, who in turn command a determined amount of Chancellors. A Chancellor is what they call the leader of a Coven. I don't know this particular Chancellor, but i'm hoping on his cooperation and support in order to convince the Royal Council" I explained carefully, aware that at any given moment we might be spotted by the Coven and taken further into their territory.

Villa Ada was one of the largest Parks in Rome, and for all intents and purposes it belonged in part to the Italian Royalty and in part to the Egyptian Government, who had their Embassy on the Private part of the park.

What no one knew was that it was also the place where one of the largest vampire Covens had resided for many centuries.

Suddenly there was a sound. A ruslte of leaves, a whisper of wind through the trees. Barely noticeable, but defenitely there. I inmediately understood its meaning, and with a curious look from Severus I stood up.

"Greetings" I said loudly, knowing we were no longer alone.

"Good afternoon, Alchemist" sounded a voice from somewhere beside me.

Turning around swiftly I cought sight of Severus getting up from the corners of my eyes, but by now my attention was focused completely on the figure standing to my right. It was a man, probably in his late twenties, with dark blond hair and serious green eyes. He was dressed impecably, although I found his clothes a bit oldfashioned. Strang, coming from someone who dressed in wizzarding robes herself, I know, but this young gentleman was dressed in dark breeches fastened around his waist with a broad and heavily decoraqted belt, and knee high leather boots. He was also wearing a white shirt with a high collar and a cape fastened around one shoulder witha brooche in the shape of a sword crossing a cup. The sign of arms of the Italian Vampire Coven, I knew.

All in all he looked like some nobleman from the sevententh century.

"I am Aurora Avis Andromeda Beauchanan, representative of the Council of Elders of the Alchemists, requesting an audience with Chancellor Armand" I stated seriously, taking a quick look over my shoulder to cast a warning glance at Severus, who was looking at the messenger itently.

"Given the fact that it's early in the afternoon, you can understand that the Chancellor himself is still resting. Audiences shall be granted after sunset. I was sent to escort you to the Catacombs and ready some guest chambers awaiting your arrival" the man said, looking at me with an apoligetic look.

"I understand. We are however weary of traveling, so we would like to rest before our meeting with the Chancellor" I said cautiously. 

"Master Armand had expected your arrival, so two guest rooms have been readied" the young man replied evenly, turning around and briskly starting towards the private part of the park. I knew in which direction we were heading. Villa Savoia. What once was the house of the Royal family of Savoy, had now become the headwuarters for the Egyptian Embassy here in Italy.

And an entrancve to the Catacombes of Priscilla, which was where the Vampire Coven had taken up residence man y centuries ago. There had been other ways to access the catacombes, like the Capella Greca located on the Villa Salaria, which was one of the main roads across Rome. The Greek Chapel had an entrance through the cloister of the Monastery of the Benedictines of Priscilla. But it had been sealed decades ago and now the extremely secure private area of Villa Ada was the only method of entrance. It was patrolled by Militia Nationale of Rome as well as people from the Private Security Firm the Egyptian Embassy employed. This particular area of the park was fenced off, and the gates that allowed us entrance were heavily guarded.

"These Vampires sure appreciate being left alone" Severus muttered under his breath.

"The Chancellor puts the safety of his people before anything else" replied the young man as if he had been adressed directly, a proud edge to his voice "He has increased the security around here in order to prevent any attacks. Besides, the Coven likes to keep a low profile and to remain unnoticed"

I put my hand on Severus' forearm in order for to prevent him from saying anything else. Now was not the time. The venomous look he shot me and the roughness with which he pulled away from my touch was enough to put me on edge.

The young man was clearly human, but the way he talked about the Chancellor made it clear that he adored the man and was most likely willig to do anything to become part of the Coven. It was sad, really, to see how people became desperate to please and obey the Vampires in order for even the faintest hope at one day becoming immortal. The truth was that Wizzards tended to stay far away from the Vampire community, and only Muggles were desperate enough to belong to this whole other world of magic and the supernatural to become like pets-or worse, slaves- to the Vampire population.

Once we came withing eyesight of what used to be the Royal mansion the young man guided us on a path leading away from the Villa, down a well-worn track that wasn't paved but showed signs of recet usage. In a steady decline the road suddenly sloped down into a cave-like crevase, which was closed-off by another gate. This one a high-tech device that opened like a garage door it was made out of solid steel, and required a seventeen digit code in order to open or close. I watched with interest as the young man tapped onto the screen placed to the side of the gate, and took a cautious step backwards when the gate slid open. 

Revealing what looked like an underground garage. Cars were parked in enat rows, everything from town cars to fancy sport cars and SUV's. 

I gave the man a quizzical look.

"The main entrance is time-coded. You can only acess the Coven through the Villa after sunset" he explained with a shrug "This is sort of like the back door...."

Following the man we were guided throuigh a maze of passageways that eventually turned further down and down. The neatly painted white walls turned to heavy stone and dusky corridors. TL lights turned to chandeliers and lamps and a tile-linoleum floor turned to carpeted and wooden passageways. It was almost like we had walked into a seventeenth century castle, and I looked around curiously as we finally halted in a spacious corridor with a high celining that cnsisted of heavy stone arches and wooden beams.

"These are your rooms. Feel free to rest and freshen up. I shall come to retrieve you in a couple of hours and you shall have your audience with the Chancellor" the young man said, gesturing to the two doors oposite of eachother on the sides of the hallways, before disappearing as silently as he had appeared to us in the park.

Severus didn't give me a second glance before disappearing into his room. Sighing at his damned stubborness I also entered my assigned chambers, marveling at the luxurious rooms. Two annexed rooms with a heavy wooden floor and  decadent carpets spread out before me. One was obviously a sitting room, with a beautiful leather couch and several chairs and even a small table, complemented by a huge fireplace and a bookcase that covered most of the wall. Then there was the bedroom, with a huge four-poster bed and two wooden nighstands flanking it. Beautiful paintings decorated the walls and I could see another door. This one led to the en-suite bathroom, which looked suit for a king with the white marble bath and golden-and-white tiles on the floor. A vanity with a gorgeaously wooden framed mirror stood there also, and I was appaled at the display of wealth and riches of the Coven.

I sighed deeply before turning my attention to the closet that stood on the opposite side of the room, across from the bed. Hesitantly opening it I was suprised to see numerous gowns and dresses, all in my size, arranged neatly in rows and stacked on the shelves.

It was worrisome. 

After all, of they knew something as intimate as my clothing size, who was to say what else they knew?

It was of great concern to me that the Chancellor had anticipated our arrival. Even more worrisome was the fact that he seemed to  be expecting something.  Sending someone to meet us, granting us an audience this easily.... it was suspicious.

Maybe I was reading too much into this....

...or maybe not.

Shaking my head in defeat I figured I wouldn't be getting anything else done before seing Chancellor Armand. So I might as well take a break. Strippimg from  my traveling gear I made my way to the bathroom, where I let the tub fill with steaming hot water before settling in the comfortable heat and relaxing. My mind was on high alert, my mind whirling with unanswered questions as I let myself soak in the scalding hot water. Lavender-scented bathsalts prickled my skin and I sighed in content. Maybe this wasn't all that bad.

After about an hour in which I tried to anticipate a response to every possible scenario,  I hoisted myself out of the now tepid water,  toweling my body dry with quick strokes before slipping into a pair of dark blue wizzarding robes. This one was tied closed underneath my bosom with a silver thread, and intrincate embroidery of the same colour traced a pattern of plants and flowers down the plaids of my dress. The sleeves were wider at my wrists, showing my pale and nearly translucent skin up to my elbows. Pinning my hair in a loose chignon I deemed myself presentable for the Chancellor and waited for the knock on the wooden door I knew would come.

When it did I was outside rather quickly, not at all suprised to see Severus standing next to the young man that had escorted us earlier. Both took in my appearance, the young man with an approving glance that lingered on my waist and trailed higher from there, Severus with narrowed eyes that did nothing to hide the disdain present in those black depths.

The young man led us through other corridors, larger ones this times, and grand hallways that seemed to go on forever into the watchful silence.  When we finally reached a massive oak door engraved beautifully with a celtic pattern of unending knots, the young man pushed them open revealing a majestic hallway that appeared to be hewn out of solid rock. Like a King's Hall, like the main room of a Cathedral, it was supported by stone pillars that supported the heavy weight of the catacombs ceiling. For that is what it was. A catacomb. I could still see where some of the effigies had lain, where stone headstones and heavy atone tombs had left their mark on the heavy cobblesrone floor. I could see the engravings on the wall, the crosses, the religious symbols carved into the stone to protect and watch over the dead. Niches in the walls revealed statues of angels and gargoyles alike, with saints hewn out of white marble, now blackened by the passage of time. 

In the centre of the room the floor was made up in the shape of a five-pointed star, and at the far end of the hall a stonw throne stood, veiled in shadows, as the rest of the hall was faintly illuminated by torches.

Like some Gothic underground tombe....my subconcious supplied at the sight unfolding before me.

"Chancellor Armand Savoy" the young man supplied, sinking to one knee and crossing his arm, hand balled into a fist, across his chest, eyes cast down to the stone ground.

Looking up I now noticed the throne was occupied.  How I failed to notice this before was beyond me, for now I shivered at the sight of the man slowly rising from the stone throne at the far end of the room. He was an elderly man, maybe in his late fifties, with graying hair and sharp features, like an eagle. His piercing silvery eyes were what scared me though.  No compassion. No kindness. Just that stone-cold and calculating look.

"I am Aurora Avis Andromeda Beauchanan, emissary of Nicholas Flamel, the great Alhemist and representarive of the Council of Amchemists" I started, taking a few hesitant steps forward before dipping into a low curtesy, head bowed respectfully "I have come to plead my cause before you, My Lord, in the hope of being heard by a powerul Chancellor and a great man"

He stood up, his cloack fluttering around   him like the wings of a bat. If anyone had ever called Severus the dungeon-bat, then they had clearly not met Armand Savoy.  He looked like darkness personified,  eyes flaring as he assesed me from a distance.

"I know who you are, Alchemist, and I know why you have come seeking Audience" he said, his icy voice harsh and emotionless "Speak, and you shall be heard..."

So I did.

I talked for nearly half an hour, explaining the resurrection of Lord Voldemort and his rise to power. I talked about the danger he opposed to all of us, and the alliances that had been forged to resist the Dark Lord. I pointed out the benefits it would bring him to ally himself with us, the protection we could offer his Coven.  All this I said, and much more. I tried not to think of Severus, who was watching me. I tried only to think of my goal, my task. I had to find a way to make this work. Whatever it took, I had to get the Vampires to join our cause.

When I was done Chancellor Armand nodded, slowly turning towards his throne and walking up to it, his hand trailing the stone headpiece of his magnificent chair. He seemed completely and utterly uninterested in what I had just said, and the dismissive look he gave me was enough to make me doubt this whole mission.

Then, suddenly, a noise could be heard.

Clapping.

....wait what?

Clapping?

My head snapped towards the sound with such speed I nearly twisted some muscles in my neck. The sound came from somewhere in the shadows that surrounded the stone pillars alinged in a circle around the grand hall. With my keen eyes I saw a shadowy figure walk slowly around the edge of the circle, clapping his hands. I saw Severus stiffen as he watched the person approach. The hairs at the back of my neck rose and I inmediately knew we were in trouble.

Big trouble.

"A very moving speech, Aurora. Very touching" the voice said, deep and rumbling like waters underground "But then again, I expected nothing less. You always had a way with words"

"Alexander" I whispered, closing my eyes briefly, wondering for maybe the gazzillionth time why everything seemed to happen to me.

He came out of the shadows like a ghost. His pale skin contrasting with his piercing teal eyes and pale blond hair that looked nearly silver in the dim light of the catacombes. One eyebrow was comically risen in a perfectly curved arch, like a statue hewn from marble, his eyes boring into mine as I watched him approach.

"Funny how we always seem to run into eachother, isn't it?" he said, voice like silk as he stood before me.

I smiled.

It was a small smile, but I could see the triumphant gleam in his eyes as he leaned down to place his ice-cold lips softly agaisnt my cheek in what he managed to make a very intimate gesture, hand trailing my jaw and brushing away a defiant strand of blond hair.

"Aurora darling, it has truly been too long" he said with a satisfied smile as he pulled away, looking over my shoulder and casting a questioning glance at Severus, who stood rooted to his spot.

"Many many years have passed since we last saw eachother Alexander" I muttered, cautiously choosing my words.

"Indeed. Now, why don't you inroduce me to your-ah... companion" the way he said it made me shiver. Like he ssomehow knew that Severus meaqnt more to me than that.

"Severus, this is Prince Alexander Sterling" I said, cautiously placing myself between the two men as I made the necessary introductions "Alexander, this is my traveling companion, Severus Snape"

The two looked at eachother and I saw the familiarity in their stances, bodies rigid, shoulders tense. They were alike and yet so different. Sevrus looked dark broody and misterious while Alexander looked everything but. He, however, excuded this air of danger. He looked quite relaxed, but you could see the underlying tension. Like a predator, ready to strike.

Which, in a way, I suppose he was.

"The Chancellor will need some time to consider your words before giving you a definite answer" Alexander replied casually, casting a glance over his shoulder to the Chancellor, who was watching the exchange with interest. The look Alexander gave him must have spoken volumes, for the Chancellor gave us a curt nod before disappearing behind his throne.

"And what are we to do in the meantime?" Severus snapped, eyes darting from Alexander to the place where Chancellor Armand had disappeared.

"We are to do nothing" Alexander said with a sly smile "You are to return to your chambers and await further instructions there"

I stiffened. The way he talked to Severus, in such a derogatory manner, was enough to put me on edge. I saw him clench his jaw, and prayed to Merlin that he wouldn't do anything stupid to jeopardize the mission.

"And me?" I asked carefully, avoicing Severus' pointed glare.

"Would you care for a midnight walk?" Alexander asked innocently, as if he hadn't heard my qurstion, offering me his arm "I have heard Villa Ada is lovely this time of year. Specially at night."

I knew inmediately what he meant. After all, he had more authority than Chancellor Armand. He was a Vampire Prince, member of the Council that ruled all the Covens. He probably wanted to discuss terms with me. He could easily influence Armand to sway one way or the other in his judgement of our request. Hell, he could probably order him to do so.

Which meant I had to play my cards right.

I saw the disbelief in Severus' eyes as he saw me nod and place my hand gently in the crook of Alexander's arm. As we walked away, the young man who had previously escorted us inmediately appearing at his side to guide Severus back to his quarters.

 Alexander led me through a different set of halls and pasageways this time, until we finally came to a  heavy wooden door. As it swung open soundlessly I noticed that on the other side it was covered by a beautiful medieval tapestry. Suddenly we were inside Villa Ada, warm lightbulbs illuminating a spacious hallway of which the walls were lined with beautiful painting s of famous artists. The floor was made of white marble, and as we walked towards the main entrance we encountered no one.

The manor was decorated in a Victorian style, but I saw the Egyptian influence. The Embassy had been trying to give this place a littel touch from home, it seemed.

Leading me through the front doors Alexander had a firm hol on my forearm, and was guiding me in a desicive manner. He didn't say anything until we were well out of reach of any curious eyes-and ears-before talking to me.

"Do you know who Chancellor Armand really is?" he asked in a conversational manner.

"Well given the fact that his last name is Savoy, I can make a pretty good guess" I admitted with a shrug, wondering what Alexander was up to.

After all, with this man nothing was ever as it seemed...

The look he gave me told me he wante me to continue speaking.

"The House Savoy -otherwise called Casa Savoia-is one of the oldest royal families in the world, havng been founded in the year 1003 in the regiuon that goes by the same name. Through gradual expansion it grew from ruling a smaal county to eventually rule-through it's branch Savoy-Carignano- the Kingdom of Italy-" here I was interrupted by a small gesture from Alexander.

"And why do you think they became so powerful, Aurora?" he said, gesturing to the forest around us, which was now silent as atomb. Like even the local fauna could sense a predator as dangerous as Alexander, I thought.

"They expanded through judicious marriages, I suppose" I answered, wondering what the hell Alexander wanted from me. I always felt a little uneasy in his prescence, like I had to be continuously careful as to what I said and did.

"More like methodical, himanipulative political aquisitions to gain power and influence" Alexander corected me.

"...So?" I asked softly, wondering once again what Alexander wanted form me. He had always liked playing games.

"You know that Villa Ada expands over 450 acres?"Alexander said out of the blue, looking around us and seeminly admiring the night sky "And that the Savoy family ruled a United Italy for over 85 years?"

I said nothing. He would tell me anyways.

"It's all Armand's doing, Aurora. All of it. He used to be Italian Royalty, now he's Vampire Royalty. He's an Elder and has a lot of influence" Alexander started, looking at me expectantly.

"Again: so?" I asked, knowing that I was pushing my luck.

"Her heartless and cold, Aurora. Your little speech back there didn't as much as make him blink. He knew about Lord Voldemort, and he simply doesn't care" Alexander breathed, smiling at my dumbfolded look.

"But it would mean placing his Coven in danger" I whispered "Why would he do that?"

"Not any significant danger, love" Alexander murmured "Besides, Armand is a bloodthirsty monster when it comes to War. Why on earth would he side himself with you when he can just watch from the sidelines and enjoy the massacre?"

I shivered.

"He has to come to his senses then" I breathed "He'll just have to listen to me"

Alexander chuckled.

"Oh really?" he said, his voice velvety soft "And why would he do that?"

"Because you will tell him to" I said decisively as I turned to look at Alexander.

A wicked smile crossed his face and for the briefest moment I wondered what the hell I was doing. There would be a price, of course. There always was when it came to dealing with Alexander Sterling.

"Hmmm...I don't particularly remember agreeing to this crazy scheme of yours" Alexander said with a teasing voice.

"When have you ever agreed to any of my crazy plans?" I said with a teasing smile of my own.

Something flashed in his pale blue eyes. Desire, maybe? I couldn't be sure.

"Well this is most certainly an interesting development" Alexander mused, wathcing me intently "I don't recall you ever asking me for anything"

"I'm not asking you for anything" I reminded him gently, praying that he wouldn't persue his present line of thought.

"Not yet" Alexander muttered, flashing me a smile of pearly white teeth and razor-sharp inscisors "Not yet......"

**********************************************************************************************************************

Well there it is. I'll try to put up the next chapter as soon as I can. Please don't forget to comment and vote.

Mauw.

Sam out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.5K 897 25
Shes in love, madly in love with the wrong person. A person who cant give her what she wants. NO wont give her what she wants. Hermione Jean Granger...
21.4K 436 33
Y/N x Remus. Don't be scare there will be Lockhart and Snape too. In this story Voldemort doesn't exist. Y/N is a student of 6th year at Hogwarts...
1.3K 79 36
When asked to return to Hogwarts, Aurora-Nyx must face a past she has wanted to forget. With an old friend and Potions Professor, Aurora and Severus...
55.3K 2.2K 33
In a world where soulmates are a real but rare magical phenomenon, Hogwarts is all a flutter to find out their grumpiest professor is soon to be fore...