Eros

By TimorRon

Eros, a world forsaken by its gods, left to be governed by kings and Magi, gifted with control over various e... More

Hail to the King - 1
Hail to the King - 2
Hail to the King - 3
Hail to the King - 4
Hail to the King - 5
Hail to the King - 6
Hail to the King - 7
Hail to the King - 8
Hail to the King - 9
Hail to the King - 10
Hail to the King - 11
Hail to the King - 12
Men of Light and Shadow - 13
Men of Light and Shadow - 14
Men of Light and Shadow - 15
Men of Light and Shadow - 16
Men of Light and Shadow - 17
Men of Light and Shadow - 18
Men of Light and Shadow - 19
Divine Execution - 20
Divine Execution - 21
Divine Execution - 22
Divine Execution - 23
Divine Execution - 24
Blood Bath - 25
Blood Bath - 26
Blood Bath - 27
Blood Bath - 28
Blood Bath - 29
Blood Bath - 30
The Red Reaper - 31
The Red Reaper - 32
The Red Reaper - 33
The Red Reaper - 35
Vengeance - 36
Vengeance - 37
Vengeance - 38
Breaking Point - 39
Breaking Point - 40
Breaking Point - 41
Breaking Point - 42
Crowned in Crimson - 43
Crowned in Crimson - 44
Crowned in Crimson - 45
Crowned in Crimson - 46
Courtesan's Love - 47
Courtesan's Love - 48
Courtesan's Love - 49
Courtesan's Love - 50
The Blackrose Legacy - 51
The Blackrose Legacy - 52
The Blackrose Legacy - 53
The Blackrose Legacy - 54
The Blackrose Legacy - 55
The Blackrose Legacy - 56
The Blackrose Legacy - 57
Death's Embrace - 58
Death's Embrace - 59
Death's Embrace - 60
Into the Wild - 61
Into the Wild - 62
Into the Wild - 63
Breath in the Smoke - 64
Breath in the Smoke - 65
Breath in the Smoke - 66
Breath in the Smoke - 67
Breath in the Smoke - 68
Killing Time - 69
Killing Time - 70
Killing Time - 71
Killing Time - 72
The Sanguine Vow - 73
The Sanguine Vow - 74
The Sanguine Vow - 75
The Sanguine Vow - 76
When Fire Rained - 77
When Fire Rained - 78
When Fire Rained - 79
When Fire Rained - 80
When Fire Rained - 81
Champions of Corpses - 82
Champions of Corpses - 83
Champions of Corpses - 84
Champions of Corpses - 85
Champions of Corpses - 86
At Last, You Die - 87
At Last, You Die - 88
At Last, You Die - 89
At Last, You Die - 90

The Red Reaper - 34

139 16 6
By TimorRon

"Is it a good time, my king?" James said, bowing at the open doorway of the king's study.

"James," Roxwell acknowledged him before he raised his eyes from the parchment he read. "It is, come in."

Roxwell gestured at the armchair at the opposite side of the bulky, wooden desk. James lowered his head in gratitude, entered the room and closed the door behind him. The plates of his armor clinked gently as he fitted himself in the seat.

"A word from our agents in the Syndicate arrived." James said.

"Ah, how fares our favorite prince?" Roxwell leaned his elbows on the desk, his fingertips tapping against one another rhythmically.

"More homicidal than ever, I am afraid." James frowned. "Felor, the agent to climb the highest up the Syndicate's ranks, was thrown off the Black Tower the other day."

Roxwell's face darkened. James spoke on.

"Our agents searched his corpse for signs of torture. You can imagine at what state a fall of fifteen floors had left it, but they managed to confirm his ear was missing."

"So everything he knew, now the Black Prince knows." Roxwell concluded. James nodded.

"You know that our agents had been trained to withstand torture, but when it comes to the Black Prince... Let's say I am not betting in their favor."

"Was he aware of the other agents in the Syndicate?" Roxwell asked.

"Two of the three," James answered. "I suggest we have them return home as soon as possible."

"Have it done." Roxwell said. "And make contact with the third, he is to flee from the safe house until reinforcements arrive."

"Reinforcements?" James voiced his interest. "Who do you have in mind, my king?"

Roxwell's fingers ceased their tapping, his palms firmly pressing together. "Sebastian Silverwood."

James blinked in surprise. "Are you certain Sebastian is the right choice for this task, my king? I consider the man a friend, but not only is he a wreck nowadays, when it comes to the Black Prince... he is as personally involved as it gets."

"Now that, James," Roxwell smiled beneath his russet mustache. "Is exactly what makes him the most suitable man for the task."

James's eyebrow perked. "More suitable than a Paladin of a stable mind state, my king?"

"But of course."

"How so, if I may ask?"

"Dealing with the Black Prince had proved problematic because we simply could not foresee what a low and twisted path the man will take to get what he desires. As loyal as my Paladins may be, I wish not to have any of them face the variety of moral dilemmas the prince is fond of abusing. I need a man who has no family or loved ones that may be taken hostage, nor be swayed by a carriage of gold for even a second. I need a man who has experienced the way of the Black Prince before. A man who had lost everything, and remained with naught by burning hatred."

"I withdraw all doubts then," James grinned without humor. "The man you're looking for is Sebastian Silverwood."

-

Raul fluttered his raised hand's fingertips, holding the shroud of flames on the elf's bare feet. Whenever a stray flame licked up his untouched foot, it was bent and leashed back to feast with the rest. The elf dangled from the ceiling by iron chains, screaming and kicking. He could keep kicking until his legs fell off, the flames wouldn't leave unless Raul let them.

Raul rolled his hand, and the fire dispersed into smoke. Blackened bones jutted out the front of the elf's charred feet - the remains of his toes.

"I will ask again." Raul breathed the acrid smoke of burnt flesh like fresh mountains' air. "Where lays the Eastern Tribe?"

"In the Damuzari Woods." The elf rasped in between heavy pants, his hatred surpassing the pain in his voice. Raul frowned at him disappointedly.

"You will surrender to the fire and answer, that's for certain. The only question is how much of your flesh will be ash by then."

"Perhaps you're not as good of a torturer as you believe you are." The elf's lips distorted in a grin. "After all, two from the cells next to mine had been taken before me."

"I've had enough of you imprisoned to afford losing my patience here and there." Raul wiped the grin off the elf's face.

"And while I've had my doubts with the others, I am certain that you are aware of the Eastern Tribe's location."

"What makes you so sure of it?"

"It has come to my attention that you're the late chieftain's younger brother."

Raul wiggled his fingers and a flame came to life between them, twirling from knuckle to knuckle. The elf tensed at the mere sight of it.

"Oh, don't worry, it's not for you." Raul said, the flickering light of the flames dancing over the wicked claw marks that scarred half of his wrinkled face.

"Bring her in." He called, and two guards entered the cell, pushing forward an elven woman in chains.

"Laira!" The elf cried upon seeing his daughter. Her viridescent hair matched the gentle glow of her eyes, gracing her porcelain features with mellow shades of green. A sash of cloth muffled her yelling towards her father. The elf rattled his chains violently. "Don't you dare lay a finger on her!"

Raul ignored him and turned to her. She tried to step back and the guards tightened their hold of her arms.

"You have a beautiful daughter." Raul raised his hand before her face and the flames rolled to the tips of his fingers, radiating heat across her skin. "Would you like to keep her that way?"

-

They walked around Deadmen's Bay, as crossing the lawless city with a sack of three hundred gold pieces seemed like a shout for trouble. Alora moved the coin plumped leather sack from one hand to the other as its heavy weight strained her muscle. Beside her, Kaido slumped against the wall to his left again.

"Are you sure you're okay?" She asked, stepping closer.

"Yeah," He rested his head back against the pale bricks and shut his eyes. "Just give me a moment."

She managed to get him somewhat presentable despite his refusal to delay for a wash in the river or purchase of clean clothes. A wet towel wiped most smudges of blood from his face and hair, and the cloak concealed his ripped and bloodstained clothes.

Oddly, none of his wounds bled. At the glimpse she got of them when he stripped his armor, they seemed to have crusted as if they were days old, rather than hours. What happened to Kaido in the arena was a mystery that wouldn't quit running her mind.

Whatever it was, it must be why he's exhausted - power like that can't come without a price. She thought to herself, but still yearned for solid answers.

"Alright," He opened his eyes. "Let's go."

He swayed off the wall when Alora's hand fell on his chest, stopping him.

"Haven't you pushed yourself far enough?"

"I'm fine-"

"You are not fine, you can barely take a dozen steps without stopping."

They both fell silent, and when their gazes met, he saw concern in her eyes.

"Look," Alora sighed, her voice softening. "There's an inn over the corner we just passed. Your wounds aren't as bad as they should be, gods know how, but they still require dressing. We'll wash the blood off you, fix you up, and get you a hot meal and a good rest. I promise I will stay awake and watch the gold."

He peered into her eyes for a solemn moment, then cracked a smirk. "Did you just offer to bathe me?"

She punched his shoulder, her lips twitching in amusement despite her will. "I am being serious you ass."

"As tempting as your offer is, especially the bathing part," He said, and she rolled her eyes. His mouth bent in a sad, weary smile. "Niki has to know. I won't delay it for another minute."

Her eyes fell from his and she realized her hand was still pressing his chest. She withdrew it and turned away to hide her flustering cheeks.

"How much farther is it?"

-

The sun shone red, kissing the sealine, as the two of them walked up the suburbs along the mountain ridge.

"Third house from the end." Kaido said, recalling Rock's instructions, and they stopped before it.

"It's a nice house." Alora pointed out as they stood at the door. He nodded faintly, then reached out and knocked.

She heard dashing bare footfalls from within the house. The door swung open. The woman who opened it was beautiful even in the washed-out dress that loosely draped over her slender body. Her wavy hair tumbled over her soft cheeks, and her small nose bent disappointedly at the sight of them. Kaido pushed back his cloak's hood, and her eyes once again sparkled with joy.

"Kaido!" She threw her hands out and leapt at him excitedly, clasping and squeezing his torso. He let his arms fall about her in a gentle hug.

"Hey Niki." He whispered, as if struggling to find his voice. Alora's heart broke when she saw Niki smiling ever so happily over his shoulder.

"Where the hell have you been?" She stepped back and pouted at him, but it wasn't a second before her smile beamed again. He parted his lips, but she spoke on before he said a word.

"And where the hell is William? That jerk of a husband promised he'll be home three days ago. You must've met him, otherwise you wouldn't have known of this place-" She paused.

"Kaido, what's wrong?" Her brow furrowed as she eyed his numb expression.

"I'm sorry, Niki." He said, his voice low, almost swallowed by the silence. "He's dead."

"He's what-" Niki frowned, her gaze snapping about. "Did Fat Sam put you up to this shit? I swear I'm going to murder that fucking-"

"Niki," Kaido raised his voice over hers. She looked up to him, her eyes glistening with tears.

"He took a loan from the Syndicate to buy the house," He spoke quietly as tears rolled down her deadpan face. "He nearly had enough to pay the debt when they got him."

Niki stood, unresponsive, and Kaido nodded towards Alora. She picked up the sack from the floor and opened before Niki.

"It was his last wish that we close the debt for you." Kaido said as Niki lowered her eyes to the sack. "There's enough there to pay the Syndicate, and still have more than plenty left-"

"I don't want this fucking gold!" Niki cried out suddenly, pounding her clenched fists on Kaido's chest.

"And I don't want this fucking house!" She screamed, beating against Kaido again. He braced the impact, standing still and wordless.

"I just want him!" Her fists landed on his chest for the final time as she slumped against him, sobbing. He wrapped his arms about her and she broke down, nearly slipping off her feet. 

"I just want him..." She looked up to him, tears streaming down her cheeks, and her voice hushed, shaking with despair. "Is that too much to ask?"

"Mommy?" The three of them peered to the little boy that paced out the house. He looked no older than four, and was nearly as blonde as William. Niki pulled away from Kaido, the sight of her son made her regain her self-control.

"Hey sweetie," She wiped her tears and smiled at him. "Can you wait for me inside please, I will be right there."

"Did dad die?" The boy asked, and Niki froze.

"It's okay mommy." He told her with a child's undisputable confidence. "Dad told me he'll be dead soon."

Niki stared at her son speechless as he spoke. "He told me that everything will be okay, that he loves me very much, and that I have to be strong and take care of you for him, mommy."

Unable to stop her tears anymore, she fell to her knees before the boy, slipped her arms beneath his and pulled him tightly against her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.9K 5.6K 37
**REBOOT OF VALTERRA IS NOW LIVE -- LOOK FOR "PRIMORDIALS" ON MY PROFILE ** The Shattering, a cataclysmic battle between the Light and Dark, left mos...
58.1K 2.9K 82
Damsels aren't supposed to wield swords, especially ancient swords that will have the blood of thousands spilled across it. ✵✵✵✵✵ Deep in the mountai...
432 77 116
In a world that has never known mages, the phoenix god decides to shake things up, changing the soul of a human to grant him the powers of a phoenix...
391 106 34
The war that started it all. Five hundred years ago a war erupted in Elementa when humans started hunting a revered race called the Drekablóð; half h...