Meliorism ยฐ TVD

By snowbuck

This is the sound of war, It echoed in her mind, and it reflected on her bloodied hands. In which her family... More

MELIORISM
cast + playlist
before
0 | unwanted help
01 | beginning of the end
02 | full of life
03 | too much
04 | hurtful
05 | born to run
06 | all over again
07 | murder song
08 | everything is okay
09 | fear on fire
10 | a force to reckon with
11 | a walking disaster
12 | point of no return
13 | violent ends
14 | fire within
15 | like everybody else
16 | the outsider
17 | blood of my blood
18 | too many faces
19 | blood stain
20 | heaven in hiding
21 | when it's dark out
22 | one fool, one liar
23 | when the party's over
24 | turn to nightmares
25 | pray for the wicked
26 | looking too closely
27 | the fate of the hearts
28 | losing control
29 | little white lies
30 | crossfire
31 | to be human
32 | the domino effect
33 | tainted souls
34 | waking death
after
35 | ghost of you
36 | unfinished business
37 | war of hearts
38 | watch me burn
39 | bad kind of butterflies
40 | angel on fire
41 | devil in me
42 | golden days
43 | let the dark in
44 | enemy fire
45 | the rise and the fall of the Bekkers
46 | the end of control
47 | dreaming death
48 | a light in the middle
49 | going nowhere
50 | almost fading
51 | the space between
52 | monster among us
53 | the smell of fear
54 | rhythm of the night
55 | between worlds
57 | beneath the cut
58 | the awakening
59 | memento mori
60 | a moment of silence
61 | to start a war
62 | panic room
63 | the brighest star
64 | the end of the beginning
65 | the one that got away
thank you + discussion

56 | world on fire

914 45 22
By snowbuck

| meliorism |
chapter fifty six

҉  ҉  ҉ 

    The barricade in the door stayed there, pressed against the wooden door as a last resort of protection. Even though she didn't feel threatened in their facility, she still needed to take precautions, just because her father was one of them that didn't guarantee her security.

Rhena began to put away all the stuff she used to make the barricade and organized everything as before. She folded the blankets and cleaned a little bit before taking her bag.

With a last look around the studio and the frames that went back into happier days, she exited the place. An unexplainable feeling washed over her, it was pulling her in, not wanting to let go. But she didn't know what it meant, she wasn't that skilled or powerful to find out either.

Her eyes were down on the pavement, not looking at anyone. She feared that if she did, the moment of her last visit to somewhere like this would resurface, and that was the last thing she wanted. Instead, she walked silently to the main building, where they were preparing breakfast.

It was the middle of the day, where the sun was at its brightest and the wind was beginning to travel into their area. Like the day before, everyone seemed happy, content to live there. They were just like her, yet they seemed to be in control. Why couldn't she be like that? She was a little jealous.

    Once she arrived in the main room, she had already rehearsed her lines. Even if they invited her to stay again, she was going to decline. She wanted to go home, or what was left of it. The trip was a few hours away, and her goal was to arrive before sunsets.

    From the door she saw the four commanders, all chatting in rather discreet as other people sat around the table she previously was. She walked towards them, eyes on the shiny marble floor, and didn't look up until she was in front of them.

    "Rhena, glad you could join us" Rhys smiled at her, causing the conversation to end abruptly "hungry? We saved you a plate"

    "Actually, I'm...I think it's time for me to go home" she pursed her lips, looking at the man whose face fell a little at her words "thank you for welcoming me and for all your hospitality, I really appreciate it"

    "You're not staying anymore?" Leah furrowed her eyebrows, sharing a look with Ivan.

    "No, my, uh, family is a little worried so I best be home before nightfall" she smiled tightly, briefly looking at the woman "but thank you for everything, it was nice to meet you, and if I know something about my father I will contact you immediately"

    Rhys and Nanette stood up, nodding. They motioned her to lead the way, which she did. Rhena nodded at the two remaining leaders and began to walk out with the two behind her.

    The three walked silently all the way from where they came from, it seemed so long ago, her notion of time was getting worse and worse. She watched slowly as she passed the building, it was deserted, most of them were inside, preparing for the rest of the day, while others didn't waste it doing what they had to.

    When they arrived at the doors, Nanette moved her hand swiftly and the locks opened, and there was the other side. Her heart ached, knowing that the moment she stepped out of that compound, she was on her own, again. She hesitated a little before turning to see the two.

Rhena took Rhys' necklace off her neck and extended it to him with a small smile "thank you for everything"

Rhys took the chain into his own hands, nodding "whenever you want, you're always welcome" he put his necklace around his neck, which it shined for a few seconds before returning back to normal.

"Be safe, Rhena" Nanette smiled at her, her eyes shining a little, as if she knew something other didn't.

Rhena nodded and gave them one last smile before turning around towards the car. She began to fish for the keys just as she headed first whispers behind her, she knew they belonged to the two adults, but she didn't turn around or attempt to hear.

However, it seemed like it had turned into a heated conversation, because her own necklace started to burn lightly, something it was doing too often. When someone yelled out her name, she stopped as she was about to enter the car.

Slowly, she turned around and watched as Nanette was walking towards her. Behind her, Rhys was looking down, but didn't make any attempt to stop his friend.

    "Is everything okay?" Rhena questioned the moment the older woman was in front of her.

    Nanette sighed before looking up at her, looking more tired than a few moments ago. She opened her mouth to say something, but she closed it. She repeated this for a few seconds before showing her head. In a rush, she took her hands into hers, giving him a squeeze. She realized that whatever she was about to tell her, it was meant to be secret.

    "You are meant for great things, Rhena" the witch whispered, not wanting any outside source to hear. Her green eyes analyzed her, not understanding "that is why you need to know that they are coming, you deserve a chance to save yourself"

    Rhena frowned "What do you mean?"

    "The people you once knew are no longer the same, they will do whatever it takes to take you down and everyone you love, because nothing is more terrifying for them than a lost power source" Nanette was beginning to shake, concerning her even more "when the moon is at its brightest, that's when they'll come, that's when the world will turn upside down"

    Rhena was now panting, the fear she had on her heart was beginning to spread and mix with the rest of her emotions. They were coming for her.

    "You're the only one that can save yourself from the impending doom that was set to destroy you" Nanette's words echoed in her mind, it was clearly a warning something she needed to take and hold it close "only you can change it"

     "Why me?" Rhena whispered, she was falling, she had always been falling. She couldn't find something to hold onto.

    "Because you're a flame, Rhena" Nanette smiled sadly "you can burn everything around you and they want that, they are attracted to power" she leaned a little closer, shaking her head "that's why you need to choose wisely, you're Fire is rare, you're a beautiful disaster, one that can take us all out"

    Rhena's kip trembled, shaking her head "I didn't ask for any of this"

    "None of us did, yet here we are" Nanette shrugged lightly, giving her hands a squeeze "I know it's a lot to carry, but it has to be you"

    "Why? Why me? I'm not powerful or strong, or—" Rhena shook her head.

    "There's no one better for this" Nanette smiled, putting her hands around her cheeks "Because no one expects an angel to set the world on fire"

    Rhena looked down, speechless. The witch gave her a last smile before removing her hands away from her. Slowly, she started to walk away from her, leaving the teenager alone.

    Next thing Rhena knew, the two disappeared, and was alone in the deserted woodsy. Her head began to hurt as she leaned in the car, clearly confused.

Of course, she knew they were coming for her at any moment, but hearing it from another person just made it more real. Because perhaps this time, she might actually die. She had so much to do, so much to learn, she didn't want this end.

With shaky hands, she entered the car and rolled down all the windows, letting the air travel in the vehicle. She needed a clear head, something to distract herself from her soon impended doom.

As she drove away from there, she couldn't help but feel another piece of her heart breaking and resting in the place. The words of the witch were burned in her mind, replaying over and over again.

They're coming, the voice whispered in her head, they're coming for you.

Whatever it took, she needed to face them and be strong. Powerful or not, she needed to prevail. With the little knowledge she had, she needed to do something. And that is what she was going to do.

She was going to save herself.

҉ 

The moment the moonlight illuminated the town of Mystic Falls, was when Rhena Bekker arrived. The streets were deserted, making it look like a ghost town, despite not being so late to be out. She looked straight ahead, just wanting to go home already.

Her hands gripped the steering wheel, trying to relax as she listened to the soft background music provided by the radio. She massaged her temples as a silent breath escaped her lips.

When she pulled into her driveway, she saw two figures in her doorstep. For a second her heart started to beat frantically and she was about to go back. However, when the two figures turned around, she calmed down.

Training off the car, she took her bag and let it hang from her shoulder. Out of instinct, she looked up at the sky, where the moon greeted her. It was almost full, almost at its highest and brightest point. She looked away as she played with the keys in her hand.

"Where have you been?" one of them asked quietly, studying her.

    "You were supposed to arrive hours ago" the other grunted, causing her to sigh but smiled lightly, grateful for their concern "Rhena?"

    "I took the long way home" she mumbled, shrugging a little.

    Before any of them could say anything, she hugged Damon, burying her face into his chest. He was surprised for a moment, but returned the hug, it was a gesture she had been lacking.

    Stefan stood awkwardly to the side, looking down. It wasn't until he saw how her arm reached out and grabbed his arm gently to pull him into the hug that he reacted. She wrapped her other arm around him and said nothing.

The brothers shared a look, thinking that maybe something must have gone wrong on her trip there. The three stayed there for a couple of minutes until she took a step back and sniffled, giving them a small smile.

    Rhena circled them to open the front door, clearing her throat as the sensation she felt the night of the party began to appear. It didn't take long through, because as soon as it came, it disappeared.

    "You look pale" Stefan frowned, making her turn to see them.

    "Did something happen?" Damon questioned, but she shook her head "Did someone hurt you or tried to—"

    "No" she shook her head again "they were very welcoming, and polite"

    "Then what's wrong?" Damon raised his eyebrow, taking a step forward.

    "I'm just tired, it was a long drive" she lied, smiling gently at him "are you staying?"

    "I came to see you were safe" Damon smiled down at her, leaning into the door frame "Stefan, on the other hand..."

    Rhena turned her gaze to the youngest Salvatore, who shifted in his position. She raised her eyebrows lightly, silently asking what he needed.

Stefan cleared his throat "I uh" he looked down for a moment before meeting her eyes "I need your help"

Rhena turned to see Damon to see if he held any answers, but her uncle just shrugged. She turned to see Stefan again and nodded gently. Her mind went back to the day he was restrained, the day she had given him her word; if he needed help, she would do it.

    "Good night, Rhen, I'll come by tomorrow morning" Damon gave her a kiss on the cheek before giving a brief look at his brother. Stefan rolled his eyes and nodded and the two watched him leave.

When Stefan turned to see her, she pursed her lips "come in" she invited him, moving away so he could enter. He nodded and entered the house, looking down.

Rhena turned on the lights of the living room and kitchen and let her bag fall into the table. She opened the fridge and got some cold water before offering some to him, but he denied. She took off her jacket and let it hang from the chair.

    Stefan sat down on the couch, observing the photographs and the decoration of the Bekker household. Very few people had entered, most of the time the siblings went to their friends houses, not vice versa. For centuries, they had remained hidden from the wandering eyes, after all, no one was good at keeping their eyes closed in Mystic Falls.

    Passing a hand through her messy hair, she walked towards the living room, taking sips of her cup. She sat down on the opposite side of Stefan and sighed silently. This perhaps was going to be her very forest good deed using her powers, all by herself. The first of many.

    "What can I help you with?" Rhena's question made him think deeply. At first, he didn't know if it would be possible, but Klaus had freed him, now, he just needed to get what was stolen from him back. And who better to reach out for help than the broken girl who's decisions and will were taken away her whole life.

    "I want my humanity back" he muttered, looking up to meet her eyes. She took a sharp breath "I want your help, if you're willing to"

    Rhena looked down, biting the inside of her cheek. It was a lot, she knew, especially because she was still trying to gain confidence in her abilities. But he wanted her help, something no one had ever asked for in that magnitude.

    "I'll try to do everything I can" she pursed her lips, looking up at him "I'll help you" Stefan smiled, nodding thankfully.

The two were silent for a few moments. It was now the third time they had been alone, when they met, when he visited her in the compound, and now. It was rather odd, Stefan had always felt the distant connection with her, bigger than any of the people in town. Even though he already knew of the reason why, he still felt there was more.

    Rhena was no stranger to silence, especially when someone was around. She had been categorized as a shy person growing up, although Damon, Caroline and Tyler beg to differ. She could run her mouth for hours and hours, but sometimes, silence was enough.

    "You know, maybe it was a good thing you weren't here a couple of hours ago" his voice caught her by surprise, noticing he was starting a conversation. She raised her eyebrows expectantly "Esther tried to perform a spell to kill all of the Originals"

    "What?" she frowned, now understanding why she felt like a truck had run over her a hundred times.

    "It didn't work, of course, so she fled, so did Finn, but the rest are still here" he informed her, thinking that might make her happy. But he didn't include any other detail, it might come down like a waterfall into her peacefulness.

    "I don't trust her" Rhena raised her eyebrows, drinking the rest of her water "at least she was unsuccessful, I don't know what I would do if lose—" she cleared her throat, shaking her head "anyway, how about you come by tomorrow? Maybe I can start, the sooner you're free, the better"

    "Yeah, yeah" Stefan nodded, standing up from the couch.

The two made their way to the door, where she opened it for him. With a last goodbye smile, he stepped out of the home. She watched as he walked away, until he was far away enough, she closed the door and all her walls went down.

Rhena tried to do breathing exercises, anything to stop the panic and fear that was coming her way. The moment was near, too soon. If she could wish for more time, she would, but unfortunately, things didn't usually go her way.

It was slowly starting to hit her: she had to fight, and possibly lose her life. But if it meant getting rid of the organization that caused her years and years of suffering and trauma, it would be worth it. If it meant saving future people like her to prevent them from going into their path, it would be worth it.

The only thing she asked for was a little peace, a little rest...for both her mind, and soul.

  ҉  ҉  ҉

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

738 46 8
โ ๐˜๐Ž๐” ๐ƒ๐Ž๐'๐“ ๐Š๐๐Ž๐– ๐“๐‡๐„ ๐‡๐€๐‹๐… ๐Ž๐… ๐ˆ๐“ โž โœผ ใ€š the vampire diaries universe x fem! mikaelson! oc ใ€› ใ€– the vam...
944K 23.2K 55
๐€ ๐ฌ๐จ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ฆ๐š๐ญ๐ž ๐›๐จ๐ง๐ ๐ฐ๐š๐ฌ ๐œ๐ซ๐ž๐š๐ญ๐ž๐ ๐›๐ฒ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐Ž๐ซ๐ข๐ ๐ข๐ง๐š๐ฅ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ญ๐œ๐ก ๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ ๐ฎ๐ข๐ฅ๐ญ ๐’๐ž๐ฅ๐ž๐ง๐š ๐Œ๐š๐ž ๐†๐ข๐ฅ๐›๐ž๐ซ๐ญ...
337K 9.1K 57
๐€๐ฅ๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ๐ฌ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐…๐จ๐ซ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ | โ๐™ฌ๐™š ๐™ฌ๐™š๐™ง๐™š ๐™– ๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™ง๐™–๐™ฃ๐™œ๐™š ๐™ก๐™ค๐™ซ๐™š, ๐™๐™ž๐™ข ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™ž; ๐™ฉ๏ฟฝ...
95K 2.7K 44
๐‹๐ž๐จ๐ง๐จ๐ซ๐š ๐Œ๐š๐ญ๐ข๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ž, A girl turned weapon, obtaining an insatiable desire of knowledge. Desperate to hold the worlds secrets in the palm of...