Percy Jackson One Shots and S...

By unsureavenger

Short stories, in no particular order, of the beloved characters from the universe of Percy Jackson and the H... More

Percy Jackson: One-Shots & Short Stories
#1 - A Study Session Gone Awry
#2 - Your Secret Admirer
#3 - Beach Surprise
#4 - The Blackout (Part I)
#5 - The Blackout (Part II)
#6 - The Dreaded Day
#7 - Let's Go Camping! (Part I)
#8 - Let's Go Camping! (Part II)
#9 - Game Night
#10 - Flash From the Past
#11 - Montauk
#12 - The Accident
#13 - The Proposal
#14 - A Fateful Football Game
#15 - Lost Campers
#16 - The Blofis Wedding
#17 - Stalemate
#18 - Gold and White
#19 - Housewarming
#20 - Mistletoe (Part I)
#21 - Mistletoe (Part II)
#22 - New Year's Eve
#23 - Cheeseburgers and Fries
#24 - By the Beach
#25 - End of the Line (AU)
#26 - The Mission
#27 - Out of Touch
#28 - Nico the Babysitter
#29 - Night Out
#30 - A "Safe", "Calm" College Frat Party
#31 - Something Special (AU)
#32 - The College of New Rome
#33 - The Makeover
#34 - The Hot Lifeguard
#35 - Thanksgiving
#36 - Talent Searcher
#37 - A Goode Surprise
#38 - Acceptance Letters
#39 - Break My Heart Again (AU)
#40 - Ask Me, I Dare You
#41 - She's With Me
#42 - Don't Call Me Angel
#43 - The City of London
#44 - Just Be Here (AU)
#45 - Rule Number Four (AU) (Part I)
#46 - Rule Number Four (AU) (Part II)
#47 - Annabeth's Work Trip
#48 - Just Stay
#49 - The Library Book (AU)
#50 - Fake It Till You Make It (AU) (Part I)
#51 - Fake It Till You Make It (AU) (Part II)
#52 - Fake It Till You Make It (AU) (Part III)
#53 - Stuck With U (Part I)
#54 - Stuck With U (Part II)
#55 - Territory (Part I)
#56 - Territory (Part II)
#57 - Territory (Part III)
#58 - Territory (Part IV)
#59 - Territory (Part V)
#60 - The Avengers (AU) (Part I)
#61 - The Avengers (AU) (Part II)
#62 - The Avengers (AU) (Part III)
#63 - The Avengers (AU) (Part IV)
#64 - The Avengers (AU) (Part V)
#65 - The Avengers (AU) (Part VI)
#66 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part I)
#67 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part II)
#69 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part IV)
#70 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part V)
#71 - Parrot It Back
#72 - On What Grounds? Coffee. (AU)
#73 - What Happened After Happily Ever After (AU)
#74 - The Lonely Hearts Club (AU)
#75 - Oh, How The Turn Tables (AU)
#76 - Etched on Skin (AU) (Part I)
#77 - Etched On Skin (AU) (Part II)
#78 - Etched On Skin (AU) (Part III)
#79 - Etched on Skin (AU) ( Part IV)
#80 - Etched on Skin (AU) (Bonus)

#68 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part III)

1.5K 56 141
By unsureavenger

Chapter 68 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part III)
published: Monday, 24 August 2020

"Is this the place?" Kayla asked uncertainly.

Annabeth, who led the group in a determined walk, scanned the scene. This was the destination of Artemis' directions. It should be...

Her thoughts muted as, a few yards ahead, Annabeth spotted the outlier to the silent, sleeping people of Manhattan; a group of maybe 40 teenagers gathered.

They were in discussion, it was obvious, but Annabeth recognised Will Solace's blonde hair, and she surged forward, heartbeat speeding up inexplicably.

At the head of the group, someone was speaking. "...the Holland Tunnel. Jake, take the Hephaestus cabin there. Use Greek fire, set traps. Whatever you've got." It was Percy, giving out instructions to the demigods like he'd spent his entire life doing so. Annabeth couldn't help the grin that tugged at her lips upon seeing him like that. Percy was a natural leader. He might not believe it, but Annabeth did. "The 59th Street Bridge, Clarisse—" He broke off suddenly.

"We'll take that," Malcolm stepped in. "And activate plan twenty-three on the way, as previously discussed.

Thalia nudged Annabeth. "You okay?" They were still hanging at the pavement across the street, the demigods' paying rapt attention and not paying attention to their arrival.

Annabeth nodded stiffly. She could do this. She hadn't spent three months rebuilding her friendship with Artemis and reinforcing her position among the Hunters' ranks only for it to crumble once she caught sight of the boy who'd basically stolen her heart.

Screw you, Percy, she thought to herself, frowning inwardly.

"Okay," Percy nodded. "Keep in touch with cellphones." He demonstrated, picking up a Blackberry from a woman slumped on the sidewalk. "If you need to call, pick one up, call, then drop it. That'll make it harder for the monsters to zero in on you."

Travis raised a hand. "And if we find a phone we really like?"

Percy rolled his eyes. "No, you can't keep it."

"Aw, man."

"Hold it," Jake Mason said. "Percy, you forgot the Lincoln Tunnel." Even from this distance, Annabeth saw Percy bite back a curse and frown.

Taking a step forward, Annabeth called out, "How about you leave that to us?"

Almost in unison, the campers' heads swivelled to look in astonishment at the twenty-something almost-thirty adolescent girls as they crossed the street, decked out in varying shades of silver and grey clothes.

Cheers erupted from the campers. "Annabeth!" Connor almost yelled. "Thalia!"

Hugs and greetings were swapped all around — well, at least, the two of them were friendly. Annabeth knew that a lot of her Hunters didn't exactly enjoy the company other males.

"Where have you been the last year?" Annabeth heard Percy ask Thalia in disbelief. "You've got, like, twice as many Hunters now!"

Thalia laughed. "Long, long story. I bet our adventures were more dangerous than yours, Jackson."

"Complete lie."

"We'll see," she promised. "After this is over, you, Annabeth, and me: cheeseburgers and fries at that hotel on West 57th."

"Le Parker Meridien," Percy chuckled. "You're on."

Thalia shifted just as Connor side-stepped, and it was like they were opening up some kind of 'parting of the red sea' type thing, because Annabeth found herself right in Percy's line of sight.

For a moment, everything else slowed to stop. And not in the way Kronos had made it in Manhattan, but where nothing in the world mattered, except that Percy was right here—right here for the first time in a year, and Annabeth didn't know what to do.

"Hi," was all she managed.

That stupid lopsided grin broke out across his face. "'Hi' to you too."

Annabeth wanted to slam her head against a wall. Damn it.

Silena cleared her throat. "Well, if you two are done staring into each other's eyes."

Annabeth didn't know who blushed harder; her or Percy.

"Our defence sounds good," she said, ignoring the knowing looks Connor and Travis exchanged. "But if we don't blockade the rivers from those boats, guarding the bridges and tunnels will be pointless."

Percy nodded in agreement. "You're right. I've got that covered." Something like uncertainty flickered across his face. "Come with me?" he said suddenly.

Ignoring the blood pounding in her ears, Annabeth tried to lighten the mood and rolled her eyes. "Like I'd leave you to mess it up."

She turned back to the Hunters, expecting an onslaught of judgemental looks, but all she got was confidence in their leader. Gods, the Hunters really weren't appreciated enough in the myths. "Thalia, take charge. Will you guys be good on your own?"

Thalia nodded, her gaze flickering almost imperceptibly towards Percy. "Yeah," she said. "Will you?" The double meaning was obscured to everyone but Annabeth.

"Yeah," Annabeth said reassuringly, and surprised even herself when she realised that she believed it. "Hold that position. I'll go with Percy, then we'll join, or we'll go wherever we're needed."

Somebody in the back of the group said, "No detours, you two."

There were some giggles, but Percy didn't react and Annabeth decided to let it pass.

"Those monsters won't know what hit them," Thalia said proudly. "Hunters, move out!"

She slapped her silver bracelet, and the shield Aegis spiraled into full form. The golden head of Medusa molded in the center was so horrible, the campers all backed away. The Hunters took off down the avenue, followed by their wolves and falcons, and Annabeth felt a swell of pride for them.

As she looked around the group of maybe forty demigods, she found herself hoping that this wouldn't be the last time she ever saw them together like this.

"So," Percy said. "You wanna give the pep talk?"

Annabeth elbowed him. "It should be you," she said truthfully. He returned the smile.

"You're the greatest heroes of this millennium," Percy said, voice swelling with confidence. "It doesn't matter how many monsters come at you. Fight bravely, and we will win." He raised Riptide and shouted, "FOR OLYMPUS!"

They shouted in response, and their forty voices echoed off the buildings of Midtown. For a moment it sounded brave, but it died quickly in the silence of ten million sleeping New Yorkers.

Annabeth saw about ten cars she'd like to try out, but unfortunately, with almost all the vehicles stuck bumper-to-bumper, she and Percy ended up having to take a red Vespa off a slumbering pedestrian. She stood behind him, balancing precariously with her arms around his waist as he zig-zagged through the traffic.

There was something different about Percy. Annabeth couldn't put her finger on it. Part of it was that he was looking at her differently. Or at least she thought she caught him doing so when she activated Governer Seward, one of Daedalus' planted automatons and part of plan twenty-three, as she and Malcolm has agreed.

Like he was thinking about something. Rare, really.

"Where's Clarisse?" Annabeth asked as they streaked down the streets of Manhattan. "I didn't see any of the Ares campers."

Percy shook his head. "They're being petty," came his disdained voice. "Had an argument with the Apollo cabin over a chariot. Decided that they aren't gonna join the fight."

Annabeth gaped, even though she knew he couldn't see her. "What?" she demanded. "I'll march over there and knock some sense—"

"It's Clarisse," Percy deadpanned. "I doubt that would work."

Annabeth thought that he did have a point there. Her feet wobbled, and she almost fell off. Quickly, she tightened her grip round Percy; if she died on a red Vespa, Annabeth would never forgive herself. She felt his abdomen tense, and she could just see his eyes widen fractionally.

When they stopped just outside Battery Park, Annabeth hurried along, almost tripping over gravel as she tried to keep pace with Percy. Before he could plunge himself into the water, Annabeth demanded, "Wait! What are you doing? You can't go in alone!"

"Can you breathe underwater?" he started sarcastically, then Percy's brow furrowed. "Wait, can you? I mean, if you can only die in battle—"

"I don't think now is the time to experiment," Annabeth said exasperatedly.

Percy gave her a sheepish look.

"But...after?"

Annabeth glared at him.

Percy scratched at the back of his head. "Okay, never mind. But the bottom line is, you probably can't breathe underwater, so, it's self-explanatory that I have to go alone."

Percy didn't say it in a harsh tone, and his eyes were on the water, scanning for threats, but Annabeth frowned anyway. She knew it sounded hypocritical, and maybe she was overthinking it, but Percy never left her behind. He had asked her to come along, but for the first time, Annabeth felt like she was out of sync with him.

"Percy, wait," Annabeth instinctively reached out to pull him back by the hand. Realising what she'd done, Annabeth dropped his hand like it burned, but at least she'd gotten his attention. "Something's going on with you."

Percy's eyes flickered, and Annabeth knew that she'd hit the nail on the head. "Tell me," she urged.

"It's nothing," Percy said hastily. "Look, just—wait here."

Annabeth wanted to leap forward and stop him again, but she deliberately held herself back, biting back any comments until he disappeared underwater.

She had always been able to read Percy like an open book. Even after she'd joined the Hunters, and maybe things had been a little weird in the Labyrinth because of Rachel and the kiss, but one thing Annabeth had always been able to rely on with Percy was that they were always on the same page.

And all of a sudden, it was like he'd picked up the pace without telling her and was now speeding ahead. And Annabeth hated being left in the dust.

He didn't even seem to realise he was doing in. Despite having all the rights in the world, Percy wasn't mad at her. He hadn't been mad at her when she left, which, frankly, he should've been. And he wasn't mad now. So what was it?

Then Annabeth's phone rang, and she gladly took the distraction from her own thoughts. "Hello?"

"Annabeth," the voice was urgent and low. "This is Michael Yew. From the Apollo cabin? Another army is marching over the Williamsburg Bridge. We need help. And uh, the monster leading the enemy...it's the Minotaur."

Annabeth blinked, unsure of what to make of that, but she hung up after assuring him that they'd be there as soon as they could.

Just as Percy resurfaced — good thing too, because she'd been moments away from jumping in after him, whether she could breathe or not — Annabeth slipped her phone back into her pocket, shooting him a worried look.

She relayed the message, quickly darkening his triumphant expression into a grim one.

Percy did his best taxicab whistle, and Annabeth already knew what to expect before Blackjack swooped down. Annabeth sat in front this time as Percy directed the pegasus to the Williamsburg Bridge.

Percy fell silent as they soared through the air, and Annabeth basked in this one last feeling of freedom. Gods, she'd missed this.

"You were right."

Annabeth turned her head over her shoulder to see Percy looking at his hands.

"About me not telling you something," he continued. "I-I took the Curse of Achilles." His eyes angled up warily as he surveyed her reaction.

Annabeth opened her mouth, then closed it.

"You dipped in the Styx?" she exploded after a few seconds. "Percy!"

"I had to!" Percy insisted. "Luke did it. It's why he could host Kronos. Look, I figured, we might as well take every advantage we get."

"Not if it means that you could kill yourself in the process!" Annabeth said frustratedly. "You could've died!"

"But I didn't," he reminded. Something in his eyes changed. He look almost...nervous. "I, uh, I saw something in the river—"

Blackjack bleated, interrupting Percy. Percy glanced down. "We're here."

Below, the Apollo campers were retreating, ducking behind cars as they tossed explosives and sniped monsters using their arrows.

Hellhounds bounded forward, and most of them were disintegrated by the arrows, but one of the Apollo campers was dragged away, forcing Annabeth to turn away at the grotesque sight she knew was about to occur.

Then she spotted the Minotaur, emerging from the monsters' ranks.

From the waist down, he wore standard Greek battle gear—a kiltlike apron of leather and metal flaps, bronze greaves covering his legs, and tightly wrapped leather sandals. His top was all bull—hair and hide and muscle leading to a head so large he should've toppled over just from the weight of his horns. As soon as he saw them circling overhead (or sniffed them, more likely, since his eyesight was bad), he bellowed and picked up a white limousine.

"Blackjack, dive!" Percy yelled.

The pegasus neighed in a frantic response.

They were at least a hundred feet up, but the limo came sailing toward them, flipping fender over fender like a two-ton boomerang. Blackjack tucked in his wings and plunged. The limo sailed over their heads as Annabeth ducked instinctively, missing by maybe two inches. It cleared the suspension lines of the bridge and fell toward the East River.

Monsters jeered and shouted, and the Minotaur picked up another car.

"Drop us behind the lines with the Apollo cabin," Percy urged Blackjack. "Stay in earshot but get out of danger!"

As soon as Blackjack's hooves touched the pavement, Annabeth nimbly slid off, landing on her feet, Percy at her side. Michael Yew jogged up to meet them, expression grave and tight-lipped.

But he was relieved to see them. "Good to see you. Where are the other reinforcements?"

Annabeth glanced at Percy. "We're it."

Michael snorted. "Then we're dead."

"Still have your flying chariot?" Percy asked.

Nah," Michael said. "Left it at camp. I told Clarisse she could have it. Whatever, you know? Not worth fighting about anymore. But she said it was too late. We'd insulted her honor for the last time or some stupid thing."

"Least you tried," he said.

Michael shrugged. "Yeah, well, I called her some names when she said she still wouldn't fight. I doubt that helped. Here come the uglies!"

Fast as lightning, Michael knocked an arrow and let it fly. The arrow made a screaming sound as it flew. When it landed, it unleashed a blast like a power chord on an electric guitar magnified through the world's largest speakers. The nearest cars exploded. Monsters dropped their weapons and clasped their ears in pain. Some ran. Others disintegrated on the spot.

"That was my last sonic arrow," Michael said with a frown. "We have to fall back. I'll get Austin and Kayla to start setting explosives."

No," Percy shook his head. "Bring your campers forward to this position and wait for my signal. We're going to drive the enemy back to Brooklyn."

Michael laughed. "How do you plan to do that?"

Percy drew Riptide in reply.

Annabeth turned to him. "Percy, let me come with you."

"Too dangerous," he said. "Besides, I need you to help Michael coordinate the defensive line. I'll distract the monsters. You group up here. Move the sleeping mortals out of the way. Then you can start picking off monsters while I keep them focused on me. If anybody can do all that, you can."

Michael snorted. "Thanks a lot."

Annabeth felt her cheeks warm at the compliment, but she was still mad about being left behind again.

She realised that Percy was still looking at her expectantly, waiting for her approval.

Despite herself, Annabeth nodded reluctantly. "All right. Get moving."

"Don't I get a kiss for luck? It's kind of a tradition, right?"

Percy looked like he thought she would punched him. Annabeth hoped he couldn't heard her heart hammering in her chest.

Did he have to be like that?

She drew her knife and stared at the army marching toward us. "Come back alive, Seaweed Brain. Then we'll see."

Percy flashed her a grin before he stepped out from behind the school bus. He walked up the bridge in plain sight, straight toward the enemy.

Annabeth ignored the burning look from Michael Yew, who may or may not have overheard their conversation — she really hoped he hadn't — and started walking back to the rest of the Apollo cabin.

"Okay!" Annabeth called out, clasping her hands together. "We need to regroup. Percy's gonna give us the signal to meet him up front, but till then, we need to clear out any mortals. If you're too injured to fight, don't be a hero — fall back. We don't need to lose anyone else today."

"Meet him?" Will said in disbelief. "You're kidding, right? There's an entire army of monsters."

Annabeth nodded. "I know. But," she took a deep breath. "I trust him. I know you guys do too." When she received begrudging nods, Annabeth decided it was the best she was gonna get and set them to work.

Once she had cleared her section, Annabeth squinted to see the confrontation further up on the bridge. The cars around Percy and the Minotaur were wrecked, and now Percy had lugged the monster's axe to the railing, bracing it against the metal as the Minotaur bellowed and charged. He ran chestfirst into the blade.

Then Percy grabbed him by the legs and tossed   him over the bridge, disintegrating as he fell. Annabeth blinked. What the hell? How exactly did this whole 'invincible' thing work?

She got her answer soon enough. Percy readied his sword — and Annabeth had a moment to think, oh my Gods, he's insane — and charged the army. It was about one hundred and ninety-nine to one, and Annabeth lurched forward in panic.

But then Percy started fighting, and Annabeth stopped in her tracks, jaw dropping. He wielded Riptide in a deadly arc of destruction through the monsters' ranks. Percy spun quicker than humanly possible, weaving flawlessly through the army as he sliced through armor like it was made of paper. Snake women exploded. Hellhounds melted to shadow.

A dracanae warrior came up behind him, spear  stabbing at his neck when Percy didn't have enough time to parry. The metal spearhead simply glanced off like Percy's skin was made of metal.

"Archers!" Annabeth said when she found her voice. "Gather up! Shoot any monsters attempting to rally!"

The Apollo campers scrambled to obey, one of them passing a bow and arrow to her. Annabeth knocked an arrow, squinting as she recalled Artemis' advice. Feet apart, pull back, keep your arm taut...

Annabeth released the arrow, which promptly struck a hellhound attacking Percy between the eyes. It disintegrated into dust.

"Nice shot," Michael said, impressed.

Annabeth shrugged. "They don't call us 'Hunters' for nothing."

Finally, the monsters turned and fled—about twenty left alive out of two hundred.

Annabeth was still in a stunned daze after seeing Percy's abilities, but she forced herself to focus.

Percy waved his arm in a beckoning gesture, and Annabeth yelled, "Now!" With the Apollo campers at their heels, they drove the remainders of the army back to the Brooklyn side of the bridge.

Annabeth shot Percy an alarmed glance. "Percy, you've already routed them! Pull back! We're overextended."

Percy didn't seem to hear her, determination etched into his features as he gripped the hilt of Riptide even tighter. 

The retreating monsters were running straight toward their reinforcements. It was a small group, maybe thirty or forty demigods in battle armor, mounted on skeletal horses. One of them held a purple banner with the black scythe design.

The lead horseman trotted forward. He took off his helm; blonde hair, eyes like molten gold. Luke. Annabeth sucked in a sharp breath like she'd been punched. She hadn't seen him since the Labyrinth, but this...

Annabeth and the Apollo campers faltered. The monsters they'd been pursuing reached the Titan's line and were absorbed into the new force. Kronos looked over at them, and he was a quarter mile away, but Annabeth saw the corner of his mouth curved into a smile.

"Now," Percy said, breathless, "we pull back."

The Titan lord's men drew their swords and charged. The hooves of their skeletal horses thundered against the pavement. The Apollo campers shot a volley, bringing down several of the enemy, but they just kept riding.

"Retreat!" Percy panted. "I'll hold them.'"

Annabeth had a vague thought, like hell I will.

Michael and his archers tried to retreat, but Annabeth stayed right beside him, fighting with her knife and mirrored shield as they slowly backed up the bridge.

Kronos's cavalry swirled around us, slashing and yelling insults. The Titan himself advanced leisurely, like he had all the time in the world.

Annabeth and Percy stayed shoulder to shoulder, facing opposite directions. A dark shape passed over them, and Annabeth dared to glance up. Blackjack and Porkpie were swooping in, kicking their enemies in the helmets and flying away.

She didn't want to kill any of these demigods, but they were on Kronos' side. They were bad.

They'd almost made it to the centre of the bridge when something strange happened. Annabeth felt a shiver ripple down her spine, and she glanced to her right, where she saw Ethan Nakamura charging them with a knife in his right hand, aiming for Percy's back.

A warning blared in her head. Without thinking, Annabeth flung herself forward, intercepting the knife as it sliced through the flesh of her shoulder.

A painful cry tore from her lips as she fell to the ground. Poison, Annabeth's mind supplied helpfully. Why was this always happening to her?

Her free hand came out to clutch her arm, and Annabeth saw Percy spin around, horror flickering over his face when he glanced down at her and saw what had happened.

Percy slammed Ethan in the face so hard he dented the helm. "Get back!" Percy slashed at the air around them in a wide arc, driving the demigods away. "No one touches her!" The threat hung in his tone, and in her blur of agony, Annabeth saw him shoot her a pale, fearful look, the first trace of fear she'd seen in him since the battle started.

Interesting," Kronos mused.

He towered above them on his skeletal horse, his scythe in one hand, studying the scene with narrowed eyes.

"Bravely fought, Percy Jackson," he said. "But it's time to surrender . . . or the girl dies."

Annabeth groaned. "Percy, don't." Her shirt was soaked with blood, but they'd made it so far.

"Blackjack!" Percy yelled.

As fast as light, the pegasus swooped down and clamped his teeth on the straps of Annabeth's armor before the enemy could even react.

Air rushed past her as they hurtled through the sky. Annabeth felt her vision shake, jarring in and out of a void of black. Blackjack neighed, and Annabeth didn't speak horse, but it sounded an awful lot like a worried "hang in there".

Her eyelids fluttered close and Annabeth was swallowed into a realm of unconsciousness.

<<< >>>

Annabeth dreamt of two women, hiding behind a tree, lying in wait as a gazelle grazed nearby.

"My lady, please, listen to me!" the first woman said desperately. She had dark, black hair that hung to her hips and piercing blue eyes.

The second woman's gaze hardened, silver grey pupils narrowing. Annabeth realised with a jolt that this was Artemis she was looking at.

"It is not up for discussion," Artemis said shortly. Annabeth was now becoming surer that this was a memory of sorts, from centuries ago.

"I say it is," the other woman said defiantly. She set her bow down. "He's a good man."

Artemis' lips pulled tight. "You took an oath."

"I'm sorry," the woman whispered. "I've broken it. I've already fallen in love with him; if you met him, you'd see—"

"No!" Artemis spun around wildly to face the woman, eyes cold. "We are virgin huntresses. It is our nature. You go against it, and you go against me."

"I'm sorry," the woman said miserably. "The Hunters are my family — but Laertes," she broke off and swallowed. "I love him," she said finally.

"You are my lieutenant," Artemis' voice came out barely above a whisper. "You are meant to be the person I trust most. And you have broken that trust, Anticlea."

Something pricked at the back of Annabeth's mind. She knew that name.

"Leave if you must," Artemis said solemnly. Emotion had vanished from her gaze, leaving a dull void and looming betrayal. "You are my friend, and I will not force you to stay."

Anticlea brimmed with relief. "My lady—"

"But," Artemis said sharply. "Know that you have betrayed me. Know that you have shattered a friendship." Hurt flashed across her face. "Know that I loved you, and that I do not any longer."

Anticlea recoiled like she'd been slapped. Annabeth felt sick to her stomach.

"Artemis," Anticlea whispered, tears gleaming in her eyes.

Without giving her a second glance, Artemis raised her bow and struck down the gazelle. It went down with a shriek. "Goodbye," she said venomously. "May the other gods shine down on you."

Lithe as a panther, Artemis walked away. Gradually, but visibly, the glowing aura surrounding Anticlea began to fade. She looked down at herself, bewildered, but Annabeth knew what was happening; her oath had been lifted.

The scene faded suddenly, dropping Annabeth into a spiral of black. A world built up around her, and she dizzily felt her feet hit the floor. She stumbled backwards, glancing around in alarm.

To her right stood Artemis, with auburn hair now, but the same steely eyes.

"My lady," Annabeth stammered. "You—You sent me that dream?"

Artemis nodded grimly before looking down at her feet. "That was Anticlea," she said after a long pause. "A lieutenant of mine. She fell in love with Laertes, king of a kingdom that we visited, and begged me to let her leave the Hunters."

"Anticlea and Laertes," Annabeth echoed. "I remember now. They were Odysseus' parents."

"Clever," Artemis remarked, observing her in a way that made Annabeth straighten her back. "Do you know what happened to her?"

Annabeth swallowed. "She-she died. While Odysseus was away at war. From grief."

Artemis nodded again. "Even after she returned to Laertes, she continued to pray to me. Guilt ate away at her for abandoning me. When Odysseus disappeared, Anticlea thought I had done it to punish her for her crimes all those years ago. She died in despair, believing she had killed her own son."

"Why are you telling me this?" Annabeth breathed.

"Do not think I have forgotten your request," Artemis said, voice low. "And I know that you have not had a change of heart." She squinted. "Have you?"

"Have you?" Annabeth returned. 

Artemis pursed her lips. "No," she said, but there was a note of hesitance in the way she spoke. "After Anticlea, I made it a rule that lieutenants would not have the same freedoms to leave as the rest of my Hunters. Falling in love, leaving us; it ruined her."

It took all Annabeth's energy to bite back her thoughts. You ruined her, Annabeth couldn't help thinking. You let her leave thinking you were angry at her. You are the reason she died.

"Do not make a mistake by dwelling on this," Artemis said softly, reaching a hand to rest it on her shoulder. Her grip was firm, but not harsh. "The Hunters are your home, Annabeth. You must accept that."

The scene faded before Annabeth could reply, but she saw Artemis' brow furrowed in confusion before she disappeared.

Annabeth blinked at the disorientation. She was in a garden. Flowers bloomed all around, and her bare feet pressed into the fresh grass.

"My dear Annabeth."

She turned around slowly, already feeling her stomach churn at the sickly sweet voice.

The woman standing there had hair as dark as midnight, pulled up into an intricate twirl. Her eyes glimmered a mix of green and blue, a colour complemented by the grass and clear sky.

"Aphrodite," Annabeth voiced in surprise. Two goddesses in one dream? Really?

"It's nice to finally meet you," the goddess said, flippantly gesturing to her. "Officially, of course. I've had my eye on you for a while now."

Annabeth felt her heart tighten. That was never a good thing. Aphrodite was a meddler. She never had anyone's best interests at heart except her own.

"Artemis is such a bore, isn't she?" Aphrodite rolled her eyes as she snapped her fingers. A stone bench appeared behind her which she promptly settled onto. "Sit with me."

Annabeth obliged for fear of offending the goddess, biting her lip nervously. "Um, is there any specific reason for this visit?"

"Well, of course," Aphrodite spread her hands. "You wish to leave the Hunters." She arched an eyebrow. "Right?"

Annabeth clenched her jaw. How did all the gods seem to know her business? That was just great. In the back of her mind, Annabeth wondered it this was being broadcasted on Hephaestus TV.

"Like I need an answer." Aphrodite waved a hand dismissively.

"It's not possible," Annabeth said quietly. "Artemis is...She has disallowed it."

The goddess levelled a serious gaze. "Love always finds a way."

"I don't want to hurt her." Annabeth paused. "Or any of the other Hunters. They're—They took me in."

"And yet, you can't get Percy off your mind," Aphrodite reminded. "I know you have other reasons for wanting to leave the Hunters, but this is my specialty so I hope you'll understand why I focus on it." A smile stretched across her face. "Gods, I just love a good love story."

Annabeth throat clenched, and something close to anger sparked in her chest. "I'm not a story," she said flatly.

"Oh, of course, dear," Aphrodite said dismissively. "I understand."

Annabeth frowned. "No, I don't think you do. I've heard horror stories about you and the Hunters. You forced Polyphonte to have children with a bear! You aided Zeus in his seduction of Callisto!" Annabeth knew that what she was doing was pretty stupid. Invoking the wrath of the goddess of love was about to seal her doomed fate, but Annabeth really didn't care. She was angry at everything and everyone, and frustrated beyond belief. "I refuse to be another experiment of yours for your own entertainment. And I sure as hell won't let you do it to Percy."

A cool look washed over Aphrodite's face. Her eyes gleamed dangerously as her mouth pulled into a tight frown. Suddenly, she wasn't as beautiful. A shiver rippled down Annabeth's spine.

"I should strike you down for your disrespect," Aphrodite almost snarled. Her shoulders somewhat relaxed. "And yet..." she paused. "I am intrigued. You defend Percy. It shouldn't surprise me, except that children of Athena are usually so boring."

Annabeth gritted her teeth. Don't punch a goddess, she repeated in her head.

"Love always finds a way, Annabeth," the goddess said coolly.

Annabeth braced herself for what she knew was coming next as Aphrodite waved a perfectly manicured hand, and the world dissipated.

Annabeth awoke with a panicked mind, and for a moment, she thought she was staring at Aphrodite again, but then she realised that it was Silena, looking down at her with concern.

Almost instantly, agony washed over her, potent enough to elicit a pained gasp. She couldn't feel pain in her dreams, but now that she was awake, Annabeth could feel the stab wound in her shoulder like the knife was still there.

"You're awake," Silena looked like she had been about to cry. "Oh my gods, don't ever do that." The daughter of Aphrodite flung her arms around Annabeth, who stilled helplessly as she had her arms pinned down.

Her lips were drier than the Sahara, and Annabeth could feel a migraine throbbing in her temple.

Her vision blurred suddenly, and Annabeth made a pained noise in the back of her throat.

"Relax," Silena said tearfully, swiping a cool cloth across her forehead. "You're not out of the wood yet, okay? Will said to rest."

Annabeth wanted to argue. She had a war to fight. Hunters to lead. She couldn't rest. But she caught a glimpse of her wound under her bandages — a gash surrounded by grotesque green shades — and faltered. Yeah, she wasn't going anywhere for a while.

Taking in her surroundings, Annabeth realised that she was on the terrace of a hotel — an expensive one, from the looks of it. Demigods milled in the rooms on the other side of the door, and Annabeth could see some of her siblings on the terrace with her.

"The Hunters!" Annabeth realised suddenly. "Thalia—"

"Is downstairs," a voice finished. Annabeth looked up to see Will Solace, all blonde hair and business-like as he strode in, face grin as he lifted up the bandages to examine her wound. "They all are. And they're fine. It won't do you any good to worry." Will swallowed. "I think they lost someone."

Annabeth nodded, her throat closing up. She didn't know who they'd lost, and she didn't know if she wanted to know. She prayed to all the gods that it hadn't been Phoebe or Willow.

"When can I—"

The crowd parted suddenly in a commotion and flurry of whispers, and Percy burst out, face creased anxiously.

"Annabeth—" he choked up, cutting himself off. She saw his gaze flicker over her and guilt flash through his eyes.

"Poison on the dagger," she mumbled. "Pretty stupid of me, huh."

Will Solace exhaled with relief. "It's not so bad, Annabeth. A few more minutes and we would've been in trouble, but the venom hasn't gotten past the shoulder yet. Just lie still. Somebody hand me some nectar."

Percy slipped his hand into hers, kneeling down beside her, as Will cleaned out the wound with the godly drink. "Ow, ow, ow!" she gasped as the wound stung furiously, making her head spin. Her grip tightened on Percy's fingers as she cried out in pain, and she saw him wince.

Silena muttered words of encouragement. Will put some silver paste over the wound and hummed words in Ancient Greek—a hymn to Apollo. Then he applied fresh bandages and stood up shakily.

That should do it," Will said, looking exhausted and pale from the healing. "But we're going to need some mortal supplies."

Conversation ensued, but it faded into the background as Annabeth closed her eyes, the pain from the nectar starting to fade back into the now-familiar dull throb.

She zoned back in as Travis Stoll said, "Come on, guys. Let's give Annabeth some space. We've got a drugstore to raid . . . I mean, visit."

The other demigods shuffled back inside. Jake Mason and Percy exchanged words in low tones, ending in Jake nodding before filing out with the rest of them.

Fortunately, Annabeth didn't have to ask Percy to stay. He didn't budge.

Jake closed the terrace doors behind him, leaving Silena, Annabeth, and Percy alone. Silena pressed a cool cloth to her forehead. "This is all my fault."

"No," Annabeth said weakly. "Silena, how is it your fault?"

"I've never been any good at camp," she murmured. "Not like you or Percy. If I was a better fighter . . ."

Her mouth trembled, and Annabeth was reminded that she'd just lost Beckendorf and now the world was crumbling down around her.

"You're a great camper," Percy told Silena, sincerity shining in his eyes. "You're the best pegasus rider we have. And you get along with people. Believe me, anyone who can make friends with Clarisse has talent."

She stared at him like he'd just given her an idea. "That's it! We need the Ares cabin. I can talk to Clarisse. I know I can convince her to help us."

"Whoa, Silena. Even if you could get off the island, Clarisse is pretty stubborn. Once she gets angry—"

"Please," Silena pleaded. "I can take a pegasus. I know I can make it back to camp. Let me try."

Annabeth exchanged wary looks with Percy. On one hand, there was almost no chance that Silena could convince Clarisse. On the other hand, being on the battlefield in her current state of mind would only endanger Silena. She nodded slightly.

All right," he told her. "I can't think of anybody better to try."

Silena threw her arms around him. Then she pushed back awkwardly, glancing at Annabeth. "Um, sorry. Thank you, Percy! I won't let you down!"

The doors slammed behind her, and there was a shuffling noise as Percy knelt down, gaze raking over her with concern.

"You're cute when you're worried," Annabeth muttered. Part of her freaked out as soon as the words were out, but the daze of the fight and the poison in her veins numbed it. "Your eyebrows get all scrunched together."

The corner of his mouth twitched. "You are not going to die while I owe you a favor." He frowned. "Why did you take that knife?"

Annabeth swallowed. Why had she? Percy had been in danger and she'd acted purely on instinct. "You would've done it for me," she said.

Percy didn't argue with that. But he still looked anxious. "How did you know?" he asked after hesitating for a few seconds.

"Know what?"

He threw a furtive glance over his shoulder to check if anyone was there. Annabeth pulled her legs to her chest as he sat down next to her. "My Achilles spot," he said quietly. "If you hadn't taken that knife, I would've died."

Annabeth felt the breath leave her lungs with a soft whoosh. "I don't know, Percy. I just had this feeling you were in danger." She gave him a hesitant look. "Where is the spot?"

For a moment, Annabeth regretted asking the question — he wasn't supposed to tell anyone.

But then Percy said, "The small of my back."

Annabeth lifted her hand, her fingers ghosting over his spine. "Where?" she breathed. "Here?"

Percy's hand came up to hold hers, moving it until it reached an obscured spot on his back. "You saved me," he almost whispered. "Thanks."

Annabeth drew her hand back, but Percy continued to hold it, fingers weaving between hers and warming her from head to toe.

"So you owe me," she said weakly, attempting to lighten the mood. "What else is new?"

Annabeth slowly shifted into a sitting position so that she was shoulder-to-shoulder with Percy. The pain of her wound faded into the background as she felt his hot breaths fan her neck.

"Artemis and Aphrodite came to me in a dream earlier," Annabeth said, feeling her voice falter as her eyelids started to droop.

"You should rest—"

"No," Annabeth interjected. "I-I need to tell you." She looked down at her feet. "Artemis is mad at me. Back in May, I asked her if I could leave the Hunters."

She heard Percy's breath catch in his throat.

"What?" he whispered.

"I made a mistake," Annabeth said hollowly. "I did it for Thalia at the time. I-I didn't think I would miss—" She hastily amended her sentence. "My life that much."

Angling her gaze up, Annabeth saw Percy looking down at her, eyes wide at her revelation.

"She said 'no'," Annabeth said miserably. "She said—" She broke off as her voice cracked. Percy's arm swept up to rest on her shoulders, gently pulling her into his side.

Annabeth rested her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes. "I shouldn't have left you." Her voice was so soft she wasn't sure if Percy heard her, but the way he took in a wracked inhale told her that he had. "I've missed you so much," she said, knowing that she had already said too much — what was a little more? "Percy," she shifted so that she was looking at him. "You don't know how much—"

"I think I do," Percy said, a dry laugh bubbling up. He frowned. "These last two years have been the worst. It killed me when you left. I thought I would never see you again..."

"You never said anything."

"I thought you were happy," Percy whispered. "I didn't want you to feel guilty. I wanted you to be happy." He swallowed. "Annabeth, when I dipped in the Styx, it-it was like my entire soul was melting." A small smile tugged at his lips. "Then you were here. Pulling me out, looking exasperated and telling me that I couldn't get away that easily—"

Annabeth bit her lip hard enough to draw blood.

Percy looked up at her from beneath his lashes. "You're my anchor to the mortal world," he said quietly. "Without even realising it, you saved me. Again."

Annabeth wet her chapped lips. "You owe me a lot of favours," she whispered. Her hand was still in his, and now she carefully folded her fingers into his, mutely dragging her thumb against the back of his hand. Percy smiled as she did so.

As she tilted her head to the right, Annabeth realised her mistake; they had shifted so close, as if by subconscious magnetic pull. Her lips were inches away from his, and Percy's gaze drifted down to hers.

Annabeth knew she was moving forward. Percy followed suit, his breaths lingering on her mouth. He was half an inch away when Annabeth managed, "We can't."

Leaning down, Annabeth's shoulders dropped as she buried her face in her hands. Her shoulder screamed screamed in protest, but some part of her appreciated the shock back to reality.

"It would break my oath," Annabeth choked, looking up helplessly at him. "She would punish me. Punish you."

As if by subconscious will, Percy raised a hand, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear as his jaw clenched. Hopelessness was mirrored in his eyes. His hand lingered, brushing against her cheek in a way that elicited a sigh from Annabeth's lips.

"And what if I think that that's worth it?" Percy lowered his hand. "Wouldn't be the first god I've pissed off."

Annabeth appreciated his attempt at humour, but she couldn't bring herself to laugh. "I'm not willing to risk you," she whispered.

For a moment, Annabeth thought that he was going to try to kiss her again — she was pretty sure she wouldn't resist this time.

Then the door slammed open with a lingering "BAM", making them jump apart in surprise. Connor Stoll stood in the doorway, gaze flickering between them.

"Percy," he said, sparing Annabeth a wary look, like he didn't want to give her any bad news. "Grover's here with Mrs O'Leary. I think you should talk to him."

Percy gave her a last glance, like he was unsure of whether to leave. Annabeth offered him a reassuring smile, even if she didn't feel it in her heart. "Go, Percy. I'll be fine."

He shot her a wistful look before he followed Connor Still out the door. Maybe in another life, Annabeth thought miserably as he disappeared behind the door.

She sat there for a few more minutes, head spinning and replaying everything that had just happened. She could almost feel Percy's fingertips like ghosts on her skin.

Annabeth squeezed her eyes shut, walking away the despair lodged in her chest. There isn't anything you can do about this, she told herself sternly. She'd taken the oath and realised her feelings too late. Apparently, Percy had done the same.

Annabeth had always thought that knowing someone felt the same way would be thrilling, relief coursing through her. But Percy's confession did nothing but make her feel even more frustrated. Because everything she had ever wanted was right there, and yet she couldn't have it.

Knowing that she wouldn't be able to do anything except berate herself internally, Annabeth struggled to her feet. Her accelerated healing from being a huntress combined with Will's healing and the godly food was dulling the pain of her wound.

Annabeth slunk out of the terrace and travelled below to find the rest of her Hunters. Phoebe was nursing a nasty gash on her forehead; Willow tended to another girl; Kayla and others were out salvaging arrows. The fight had taken its toll.

She stayed with her Hunters — Thalia returned after a while — trying to keep up morale and accepting any comments they had. Every hour, she would drift to the window, using the shield Malcolm had lent her to check on the entrances to Manhattan.

It wasn't long before Annabeth caught sight of the oncoming army. She cursed under her breath, exchanging a wary glance with Thalia, who was already starting to assemble the able-bodied Hunters.

"Someone should get Percy," Grover said. Apprehension was thick in the atmosphere. No one was in any state to fight, but they didn't have a choice at this point. He glanced at her.

"I'll do it," Annabeth said with a half-hearted nod. Percy was off sleeping in one of the few empty bedrooms, and she didn't know what to think when she looked at him.

Annabeth shouldered her shield, giving out instructions to the mix of demigods and immortal hunters before she left to find Percy.

He lay on the bed, curled up in a peaceful position, but Annabeth took one look at him and knew that he was anything but. His shoulders tensed and his face was creased in clear distress.

Nightmares, Annabeth guessed as she neared him tentatively.

Before she could do anything, Percy's eyes sprang open in wide alarm, sitting up so quickly that he slammed his head against her shield. "Ow!"

"I was just about to wake you," Annabeth informed him. It took a second for his eyes to clear, and he swallowed. Annabeth cleared her throat.

He was frowning, looking down at his feet.

"Percy?" Annabeth urged. "What's wrong?"

"N-Nothing," Percy said in a way that told Annabeth he was lying. "What are you doing in armour?"

"I'm fine," Annabeth insisted. "Nectar and ambrosia fixed me up."

Percy arched an eyebrow, unconvinced. "Right. You can't seriously go out and fight."

"You're going to need every person you have," Annabeth reminded. "There's an army—"

"Heading south into Central Park." He nodded "I know." Percy proceeded to tell her about his dreams; about Maria di Angelo, the Oracle's curse, May Castellan's insanity, and worst of all, Ethan Nakamura and Kronos.

Annabeth bit her lip worriedly. "Do you think Ethan knows about your weak spot?" Being invulnerable came with a karmic negative to balance it out, and they couldn't risk Percy in the battlefield if one small gash could kill him.

"I don't know," Percy admitted. "He didn't tell Kronos anything, but if he figures it out—"

"We can't let him."

"I'll bonk him on the head harder next time," he suggested. "Any idea what surprise Kronos was talking about?"

She shook her head. "I didn't see anything in the shield, but I don't like surprises."

"Agreed."

"So," Annabeth frowned, "are you going to argue about me coming along?"

"Nah. You'd just beat me up."

She managed a laugh, which made Percy grin.
He grabbed Riptide, and they went to rally the troops.

They heard the army before they saw it. Annabeth stood with the Hunters this time, determined to protect them as best as she could.

At the north end of the reservoir, the enemy vanguard broke through the woods—a warrior in golden armor leading a battalion of Laistrygonian giants with huge bronze axes. Hundreds of other monsters poured out behind them.

"Positions!" Annabeth yelled.

The Hunters collectively shifted nervously, but they held their ground. The idea was to make the enemy army break around the reservoir. To get to the demigods, they'd have to follow the trails, which meant they'd be marching in narrow columns on either side of the water.

At first, the plan seemed to work. The enemy divided and streamed toward them along the shore. When they were halfway across, their defences kicked in. The jogging trail erupted in Greek fire, incinerating many of the monsters instantly. Others flailed around, engulfed in green flames. Athena campers threw grappling hooks around the largest giants and pulled them to the ground.

Annabeth raised her arms and the Hunters sent a volley of silver arrows into the enemy line, destroying twenty or thirty dracaenae, but more marched behind them. Thalia raised her spear and a bolt of lightning crackled out of the sky, frying a Laistrygonian giant to ashes.

Grover raised his pipes and played a quick tune. A roar went up from the woods on both sides as every tree, rock, and bush seemed to sprout a spirit. Dryads and satyrs raised their clubs and charged. The trees wrapped around the monsters, strangling them. Grass grew around the feet of the enemy archers. Stones flew up and hit dracaenae in the faces.

The enemy slogged forward. Giants smashed through the trees, and naiads faded as their life sources were destroyed. Hellhounds lunged at the timber wolves, knocking them aside. Enemy archers returned fire, and a Hunter fell from a high branch.

Unfortunately, the Titan in the gold armor wasn't waiting for his forces to advance around the sides. He was charging toward them, walking straight over the top of the lake.

"Percy!" Annabeth grabbed his arm, pointing to the sight.

A Greek firebomb exploded right on top of the Titan, but he raised his palm and sucked the flames out of the air.

"Hyperion," Annabeth explained, feeling both in awe and scared. "The lord of light. Titan of the east."

"Bad?"

Annabeth tried not to roll her eyes. "Next to Atlas, he's the greatest Titan warrior. In the old days, four Titans controlled the four corners of the world. Hyperion was the east—the most powerful. He was the father of Helios, the first sun god."

Percy winced, but said, "I'll keep him busy."

Annabeth shook her head. "Percy, even you can't—"

"Just keep our forces together," he made her promise. Percy gave her meaningful look. "Hey, I'll be careful."

Annabeth felt her throat tighten. She couldn't lose Percy. "You'd better." They shared another moment before Percy surged forward, raising his hands.

Annabeth had chosen the reservoir to set up for this very reason; Percy drew power from the water, and with smooth steps, started to tread atop the water.

She wanted to roll her eyes at his dramatics, but a dracanae spear nearly pierced her and Annabeth was forced to draw her attention away from Percy's duel.

"Hunters," Annabeth yelled, raising her dagger. "Forward! Archers, now! Thalia, to me!"

The daughter of Zeus appeared by her side as another volley of silver arrows took down the first line of Laistrygonian giants.

They clashed harshly, Annabeth slashing her dagger in every direction as clubs and fists collided with her shield. She hadn't been in the middle of the action like this yet, but now, Annabeth saw what the others must've been going through.

Every time a Hunter cried out in pain or Annabeth saw one of them crumpled underneath an opponent, a fresh bolt of pain struck her. Annabeth forged through their ranks with Thalia at her side, suppressing the urge to turn back and help.

Thalia impaled one of the giants, and an arc of lightning shot out of her spear's tip, burning an entire column of them to ash.

"Holy shit!" Thalia didn't try to disguise her astonishment as she paused momentarily. Annabeth spun around, following her gaze to see Percy fighting Hyperion on land now.

A hurricane swirled around Percy, storm clouds hovering overheard with crackling lightning and thunder. The winds buffeted
the Titan, who was drenched in water, back before he could make a move.

"Wow," escaped Annabeth as she released a small noise of disbelief. Sometimes, with how dumb Percy tended to act, she forgot that he was one of the most powerful demigods around.

Phoebe's grunt drew her back into her own fight, both of them beating back a trio of giants. Phoebe knocked arrow after arrow, flawlessly letting them fly as Annabeth covered her flank, fuelling viciously with a dracanae woman.

In her peripheral vision, Annabeth saw Grover use his reed pipes to encase Hyperion in a tree trunk.

She stabbed, and the last giant of this legion disintegrated. For a brief moment, the campers cheered, and the army started to retreat.

However, it was short-lived, because Kronos unleashed the "surprise" Percy had mentioned earlier; a pink, soaring boar.

"REEEEEET!" The huge pink creature soared over the reservoir—a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade nightmare blimp with wings.

"A sow!" Annabeth cried, gesturing wildly to her Hunters, hoping the other campers could hear her. "Take cover!"

The demigods scattered as the winged lady pig swooped down. Her wings were pink like a flamingo's, which matched her skin beautifully, but it was hard to think of her as cute when her hooves slammed into the ground, barely missing one of Annabeth's siblings. The pig stomped around and tore down half an acre of trees, belching a cloud of noxious gas. Then it took off again, circling around for another strike.

Percy had scrambled to his feet and was retreating to her side. "Don't tell me this thing is from Greek mythology?"

Annabeth gave him an apologetic look. "Afraid so. The Clazmonian Sow. It terrorized Greek towns back in the day."

"Let me guess. Hercules beat it."

"Nope," Annabeth said. "As far as I know, no hero has ever beaten it."

"Perfect," she heard him mutter.

The Titan's army was recovering from its shock and reorganising their forces. They probably only had seconds before the monsters were ready to fight, and their forces were still in a panic. Every time the sow belched, Grover's nature spirits yelped and faded back into their trees.

"That pig has to go." Percy grabbed a grappling hook from one of the Hunters. "I'll take care of it. You guys hold the rest of the enemy. Push them back!"

Grover's brow furrowed. "But, Percy, what if we can't?"

Annabeth saw Percy flinch, and she could see the guilt in his features; whether for having to leave her or for being the only one still without a scratch.

"We'll try our best," she interjected, nodding to him. Her shoulder was starting to hurt again, and Grover looked exhausted from his woodland magic.

"Retreat if you need to," Percy said. "Just slow them down. I'll be back as soon as I can," he promised.

When the sow came down for its next pass, Percy threw the grappling hook. It wrapped around the base of the pig's wing. The sow squealed in rage and veered off, yanking the rope and him into the sky.

Annabeth saw him hurtle away, clinging onto the rope for dear life and with a terrified expression on his face that would've been funny if they weren't about to be overrun by enemy forces.

"What do we do?" Grover said hopelessly.

Annabeth shouldered her shield. "We've got this, Grover," she said comfortingly, nudging him fondly. "Hunters! Go off in paris to reinforce each cabin! Switch to close-range equipment — we won't be able to drive them back, but we can slow them down up front."

Marching towards the rest of the campers, Annabeth gestured to her siblings. "We're going to slowly retreat back towards Olympus, but don't let them get past our defensive line. We're spread thin but we can hold it if we try." She offered the campers a grim nod. "Got it?"

There was a chorus of weak "yes"es. Annabeth pounded her shield, yelling, "Okay! Let's go!" Thalia hefted her spear into the air, releasing a battle cry that the others echoed.

Annabeth threw a glance over her shoulder to see the Titan's army beginning to advance. Rolling her shoulder with mild discomfort, Annabeth readied her dagger.

"Athena campers, with me!" she urged as she started to run forward, meeting the opponent in the middle. A harpy swooped down from overhead, and a silver arrow promptly sprouted from between her wings, causing the monster to burst into dust.

Annabeth slashed and parried madly as she clashed with a giant, ducking between his legs before she stabbed up, and the monster keeled back, squashing two of his fellow soldiers before disintegrating.

Of course, Annabeth and her siblings were pushed back, but at least the army was slowing. Arrows sprung from behind her — from both the Hunters and the Apollo kids — picking out strays in the army.

Annabeth fought with all the strength she could muster. It became a numbing experience, taking a few steps back each minute, because every monster she dispelled was replaced by two more. But her battle senses and instincts kept her on her toes. One of her siblings went down with a scream, and Annabeth leaped to her aid, stabbing the Hyperborean giant with an arrow.

The big, blue monster roared in irritation, ripping the arrow out as he swiped at her. Annabeth leaped back, fending off his paw from hitting Malcolm, who stood to her other side.

"Don't let him get through!" Annabeth shouted, standing protectively over her younger sister Maddie. The Park Avenue tunnel behind her would give the army a route straight to Olympus.

But Maddie was incapacitated, and Malcolm was struggling to dodge each blow, his movements sluggish with tiredness.

Fortunately, a dark shadow loomed over them as Blackjack swooped down, Percy slipping off of his back and landing on the giant's head. He bashed his nose with his shield before sliding off, hitting the ground running behind the giant. A cloud of ice-cold breath exited the giant, dusting the pavement in snow.

Annabeth saw her chance; "Hey, Ugly!" she shouted. Sure enough, the giant turned, lumbering and he glared at her, leaving his back unprotected.

Percy stabbed him in the knee, and Hyperborean buckled. From the point where Percy had stabbed him, cracks appeared in his body. They got larger and wider until the giant crumbled in a mountain of blue shards.

"Thanks." Annabeth winced, trying to catch her breath. Her chest heaved. "The pig?"

"Pork chops," Percy informed her.

"Good." She flexed her shoulder. Annabeth caught Percy's concerned expression and rolled her eyes. "I'm fine, Percy. Come on! We've got plenty of enemies left."

The next hour was a blur.

After Annabeth convincer Malcolm to return to base with Maddie, she and Percy raced from block to block, trying to shore up their defenses. Too many friends lay wounded in the streets. Too many were missing.

As the night wore on and the moon got higher, they were backed up foot by foot until they were only a block from the Empire State Building in any direction. At one point Grover was next to her, bonking snake women over the head with his cudgel. Then he disappeared in the crowd, and it was Thalia at their side, driving the monsters back with the power of her magic shield.

Mrs. O'Leary bounded out of nowhere, picked up a Laistrygonian giant in her mouth, and flung him into the air like a Frisbee. Annabeth used her invisibility cap to sneak behind the enemy lines. Whenever a monster disintegrated for no apparent reason with a surprised look on his face, Annabeth saw Percy smirk.

But it still wasn't enough.

"Hold your lines!" Katie Gardner shouted, somewhere off to her left.

The problem was there were too few of them to hold anything. The entrance to Olympus was twenty feet behind Percy. A ring of brave demigods, Hunters, and nature spirits guarded the doors. Percy surged forward in a last effort. He slashed and hacked, destroying everything in his path, but Annabeth could see him getting tired.

Behind the enemy troops, a few blocks to the east, a bright light began to shine. Annabeth thought it was the sunrise. She squinted closers and realised it was Kronos riding toward them on a golden chariot.

A dozen Laistrygonian giants bore torches before him. Two Hyperboreans carried his black-and-purple banners. The Titan lord looked fresh and rested, his powers at full strength.

Annabeth pulled off her cap, panting furiously. "We have to fall back to the doorway. Hold it at all costs!"

Percy nodded and opened his mouth, but was interrupted by the sounding of a horn.

It cut through the noise of the battle like a fire alarm. A chorus of horns answered from all around us, echoing off the buildings of Manhattan.

Percy shot Annabeth a bewildered look.

"Not the Hunters," Annabeth said, just as confused. "We're all here."

"Then who?"

The horns got louder. It wasn't more enemies; Kronos's forces looked just as confused. Giants lowered their clubs. Dracaenae hissed. Even Kronos's honor guard looked uneasy.

Then, to their left, a hundred monsters cried out at once. Kronos's entire northern flank surged forward. Annabeth thought they were doomed, but they didn't attack. They ran straight past and crashed into their southern allies.

A new blast of horns shattered the night. The air shimmered. In a blur of movement, an entire cavalry appeared as if dropping out of light speed.

"Yeah, baby!" a voice wailed. "PARTY!"

A shower of arrows arced over their heads and slammed into the enemy, vaporizing hundreds of demons.

"Centaurs!" Annabeth yelled, whirling around.

The Party Pony army exploded into their midst in a riot of colors: tie-dyed shirts, rainbow Afro wigs, oversize sunglasses, and war-painted faces.Hundreds of them filled the entire block.

"Percy! Annabeth!" Chiron shouted across the sea of wild centaurs. He was dressed in armor from the waist up, his bow in his hand, and he was grinning in satisfaction. "Sorry we're late!"

Battle cries erupted from the rest of the centaurs as they attacked with paintballs mixed with celestial bronze.

The entire Titan army turned and fled, pushed back by a flood of paintballs, arrows, swords, and NERF baseball bats. The centaurs trampled everything in their path.

"Stop running, you fools!" Kronos yelled. "Stand and ACKK!"

That last part was because a panicked Hyperborean giant stumbled backward and sat on top of him. The lord of time disappeared under a giant blue butt.

Annabeth stood by Percy's side as they pushed the army for several blocks until Chiron yelled, "HOLD! On your promise, HOLD!"

It wasn't easy, but eventually the order got relayed up and down the ranks of centaurs, and they started to pull back, letting the enemy flee.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.2K 78 23
I've seen so many other people do this, so I decided to give it a try! If you want a real description here: We all know how annoying mortals can be...
81.7K 801 33
The title says it all. Just a collection of a couple of stories I thought up. Possibility of percabeth-meets. This is my first book ever. So, sorry i...
11.5K 131 30
Mortals and demigods alike meet our favorite demigods and couples! There may be stories with multiple parts, some where the demigods are gods or the...
696K 9.5K 75
The complete collection of Percy Jackson one-shots. Mostly people meeting our favourite demigods, mortals, Satyrs and more. ~ Most are no mist ~ th...