Nemesis, Vol. 1

By Vikings1428

Yuki, a 15 year old student, is having trouble dealing with the loss of his father, attempting to find normal... More

Fresh Air
Takeout
The Woman & the Shadow
International Justice Agency
An Obscure Nomination
Faded Memories
Justice?
The Student
Thoughts of the Sensei
The Child Protégé
The Student II
Combat Training
A Training Simulation / The Student III
Lester Nelson / The Student IV
Lunchtime!
An Informal Meeting / Thoughts Of A Sensei II
The First Mission / The Student V
A Proper Introduction
The Maestro
What it Takes / The Student VI
Do Not Cross
The Maestro II
Intermission I
Intermission II
The Maestro III
Thoughts of a Proctor
Investigations on Asclepius
The Maestro IV
A Recent Development
Theodore Retz
A Deranged Reader
Snowfall
A Familiar Face
Faded Memories II
Up In The Air

Alex J. Williamson

43 3 1
By Vikings1428

Alex didn't have many role models growing up, but he did have a twin brother; and although they were the same age, his brother always seemed like he was his older brother from the outside. Alex always looked up to his brother, but how long can he be a hero? 

His brother was always celebrated for his amazing feats anywhere from athletics to education. Alex's parents didn't take long to pick who the star of the family was. They hoped to push Alex to be like his brother, which confused Alex, was he not as good or talented as his brother? Role models weren't on the bingo board for Alex, hopefully, the spotlight can move away from center stage.

After a few competitive years of high school, Alex joined the IJA youth program recommendation test along with his brother, who was heavily sought after by many other programs made to excel the next child prodigy. Anywhere from Chess to Boxing careers could have been the outcome for the twin, but a higher challenge interested him more. 

Alex, however, had no expectations or high hopes for his future. He just envisioned a decent life, something that would make him proud of himself, and maybe something that would get his family's recognition. The shade can burn just as much as the sun. Would becoming an agent of justice get him the recognition that he yearned for?

But now, standing here frozen as if the film malfunctioned, that vision seemed like nothing more than an afterthought. The mark of the beast left Alex blinded, unable to see his own shadow. Instead, the sizzling brand placed on his heart created a new and unrecognizable monster. 

With little to no care for what once drove him, instead, it felt like laying flat in an ocean of blood. The heavy red waves deafened him, but maybe this position wasn't so bad, was it? Hedonism seemed like a more attractive partner than the divine purpose of recognition.

The smell of construction, commerce, and garbage made a perfect cocktail for the senses, it was something the students of group one were accustomed to within their two weeks on this assignment. Occasionally, the strong smell of freshly home fried foods would often overwhelm the natural cologne of the illustrious location, such as the food stand that Yuki and Alex found themselves at on this bright Saturday morning. This had been the energy they've been running off of lately, not quite what they would hope for, but with the accessibility, it was the most obvious selection.

"What—you kids again, what y'all want this time?"

"I'll have a hotdog." Yuki said.

"Hm? The usual then, I'm guessing?"

"Well—" Yuki paused, and glanced over at Alex, looking for confirmation for the usual order, but only saw him lost like he was stuck in a dark cave.

What happened to him?, Yuki thought, then continued "—just make that two."

"Alright, the usual it is." The man said as he began to place two hotdogs on a frier within his food stand.

"What's up with you?" Yuki asked Alex.

"I don't know... I just can't help but feel bad..."

"Feel bad, for what?"

"I... I just froze..." Alex paused, grabbing his head as if a harsh migraine suddenly struck him, then continued "I can't understand why I just froze..."

Why... why can't I get this out of my head..., Alex thought. 

The unrecognizable carcass had stained his head stronger than wine. Alex was confused, the pieces that were once transparent soon transitioned into stained glass. How could he make the stains go away before it becomes permanent? 

Questions consumed his consciousness faster than a dose of morphine. He was slowly being consumed by darkness and the hopes of Mount Olympus soon became nothing more than something in the clouds. It was up to him to find out whether the anchor was indestructible or not, but the appearance alone was enough to sink even the largest ships.

"Two hot dogs are ready for y'all!"

"How much for a pack of montibus?" Alex asked. His question was aimed at a cheap pack of cigarettes that sat behind the man at the food stand.

"5 Loons." The man said. Loons were the main currency within Kashitama and the most dominant one in the world.

He smokes?, Yuki thought, then said "I'll cover it."

The two youths headed back to the motel with Yuki eating both hotdogs on the way back and Alex barely finishing one cigarette. They headed straight for a conference room where they usually meet up with the others (besides Anastasia, who makes it her priority to not be as social as the others within the group) to discuss objectives and tasks that they've completed or will complete later on in the day. 

Yuki and Alex walk in, and to their surprise, Martin is standing by a whiteboard on the opposite side of the room. It seems as if Yuki and Alex's entrance broke the silence within the room.

"Sir?" Yuki said. He was surprised at Martin's appearance in the conference room, a place he's never stepped foot in.

"Good, you guys are finally here. Here's what we have so far on the murder last night." Martin said.

He placed a bright-colored folder on the table where everyone was seated at. The folder seems empty from the outside.

"Do we have the weapon?" Anastasia asked. The others are surprised that she showed up.

"We do have a weapon, but we also believe there might've been a second weapon that wasn't at the scene." Martin said, then asked, "Yuki, Anastasia, what did you two learn from the witness yesterday?"

"He said that all he saw was blood, but clearly, he was still in shock." Yuki said.

"So nothing that we don't already know... Great. How about you two? Find anything?" Martin asked, angling his question at Olivia and Kaso, who was sent to see if there was anyone else who witnessed the murder last night.

"No, we didn't find anybody..." Olivia replied.

This is nothing..., Martin thought, then said, "So all we really have is what the killer left there and the body..."

"Did you run the weapon for any prints?" Vivian asked. She looks somewhat better compared to last night, the vomiting has stopped for now.

"Yeah, and nothing there too, the killer must've been wearing gloves or something." Martin said. He couldn't quite understand how someone can be so careful yet completely reckless at the same time.

"Shouldn't we be doing something, shouldn't we be out there looking for whoever did this?" Yuki abruptly said. 

Why are they still conversing when a cold-blooded murderer remains at large here? Shouldn't their priority be to find whoever did this?

"It's not that easy when we have nothing to go on... all we really have that's helpful is the fabric found on the body and underneath the victim's fingernails." Martin replied.

"Do we even know what kind of fabric it is yet?" Kaso asked.

"No... not yet..." Martin replied. His hopes of getting more information were now a shot in the dark, a hopeful pull but ended with the shortest straw.

"So what exactly are we doing here?" Vivian asked.

"All we have left is to go over—" Martin said before he was abruptly interrupted by his phone buzzing on his side. Before he answered, he finished his words "—Go over the crime scene photos, for now, I'll be back." Martin finished and exited the room.

"Wow, this sucks." Yuki said. He was disappointed that they were left to scavenge for details while the murderer remained at large.

Martin took the phone call in the hall just outside the conference room, it was important enough to eject him from the hopeless meeting with group one.

"So, what is it?"

Martin was a little irritated, but he wasn't one to let his emotions get the better of him. Often, he tries to remain as emotionless as he possibly can. Once you've delved yourself into the darkness, after some time, you miss the sunshine.

"Sir, the fabric on the victim, it's cashmere. The victim wasn't wearing any cashmere, so it must be from the killer's clothing."

"We have nothing on our end, anything else over there?"

"Not really... other than the fabric, we have just as much as you do, sir."

"Hmph... whoever did this isn't your average killer, he covered his tracks, and he did it well..." Martin said, then thought, Just how the hell did he do it, I can understand if the body was cleanly cut up, it would only express his careful character, it's as if he let something else loose, and then properly put it away before he finished himself. He killed the victim as if this was personal, but nothing adds up so far. Just what the hell are we dealing with here?

"Well, we just have to wait until we can get something new, and quick because I fear he may do this again, and soon, sir."

He may? A person like this will do this again? It's all a matter of location and opportunity at this point., Martin thought.

For the first time, he was personally challenged. He was at the thirty-foot brick wall and something out of the ordinary happened. It didn't fall over as it usually does with one blow. Whoever this was, they weren't someone Martin would like to meet just yet.

"I wish we had more than this..." Martin exclaimed. 

Martin didn't know whether to smile or continue being frustrated with the challenge that fell into his lap. How should one react to such a challenge?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 95 41
Graduation is near, but Yuki and the rest of Class B are far from being prepared for the occasion. The continuation of Nemesis, Vol. 1, Yuki and the...
4.7K 444 112
MIKARU HYROYUKI GOT A SECOND CHANCE.....TO SUFFER AGAIN! It all began with a simple 16 year old Japanese boy, MIKARU HYROYUKI. It may seem hard to be...
947K 12.8K 57
A young boy is considered a delinquent in school, not following rules, getting into fights and as teachers believe he has no future. But what happens...
299K 4.3K 41
(Y/N) (L/N) is a 15 year old kid. He has a great life from his years. Until he was caught up with a disease and was now dying. He then woke up in the...