Asira

By mugensbride

Being Nigerian is one thing but being a teenager in Nigeria is another thing. With an overdramatic mother, a... More

Preface
Cast
1| Nosy Neighbor
2| Pelumi
3| Fine Boys and Puberty
4| Restaurant
5| 3AM Rescue Call
6| Hot pap, Akara and Bread
7| Brainville Prep
9| Popcorn and Telenovela
10| How Dreadful
11| A Prey and Predator
12| Curse you!
13| A Little White Lie
14| Spilled Beans
Merry Christmas!!!
15| The Liar
16| A Piece Of My Meat
17| Drama
ATTENTION!!!

8| Devil's Spawn

255 74 8
By mugensbride

I walked into class, my previous lesson— Geography— just ended, it required us leaving the class to the learning theatre. The class was rowdy when I entered, someone was sitting at my desk talking animatedly to Esse who sat at the desk next to Chris who in turn sat in front of mine.

I stop at my desk when Chris says something that makes the boy in my seat to laugh then he looks up at me still smiling "yes, do you want something?" He still had residual humor in his voice.

I felt Chris eyes on me. I was about to say something when Esse spoke up instead "Ode you're in her seat" and she laughed I could hear Chris try to stiffen his laughter. The boy in my seat had a look of realization on his face, his eyes wide and his mouth in an 'O' shape, I still had the blank look on my face when he jumped up like something stung his butt, he shoved his books into his sling bag and slung it across his chest.

He stepped out of my desk and made a mock bow before letting take my seat, I give him a suspicious look before taking my seat then I heard Esse laugh "Ifeanyi you're a clown, please go to your class o fourth period is about to start and you know how our evil English teacher acts"

Ifeanyi laughs and walks out of class after doing some kind of macho handshake with Chris and says they'll talk later. I let out a breath and dropped my bag that was currently on my lap on the desk. I look up to see Chris staring at me.

"You should loosen up a little Asy baby" he says with a sly smile on his face and I scowl at him making him laugh and this makes my heart flutter a little.

This little action petrifies me and I absent mindedly let my hand slide to my chest. Chris blinks at me with a scared looks on his face. "Asira are you okay?" He asks looking a little worried when Esse slaps his shoulder.

"You've scared the poor girl" she says scowling at him and I try to cover my embarrassment by clearing my throat.

"Ow! stop na, see she's fine" Chris fakes being hurt and Esse slaps his arm again making him laugh.

Jealousy pinches at my heart at the sight of them. Esse and Chris had always been really close, she was like Chris's best friend— that's if she isn't— there was even a time there was a rumor that they were actually dating but I had never got around confirming that so it only stayed a rumor to me.

They stop their little drama only when the class grows silent and that evil mistress of English walks in, she glares her small beady eyes through her wire framed glasses at us, the devil's spawn never smiled at us, she only carried— more like dragged— herself around the class looking for who to use as scape goat to her hatred.

Mrs Maggrette walks to the end of the class where the empty teacher's table and chair stood, it was meant for the subject teachers to sit at but most of them never sit down, they just walk in and start teaching but this bag of garri made it her soul aim to be comfortable at the desk before commencing her class.

"Bring out your notebooks" the mistress of evil says but their was something menacing to the way she said it, like she was about to derive joy from it but she never derived joy in teaching, she derived joy in inflicting pain instead.

Everyone in class was now staring at Kalu, that's when something clicked in my brain, we didn't have our books and fear encased every fiber of my being. I looked pitifully and partly horrified at Kalu, the class prefect, as he slowly rose to his feet, he shakily pushed his huge thick black framed spectacle up the bridge of his nose "Ma I— " before he could even finish his sentence Chris was already on his feet and speaking.

"I'm sorry ma, Kalu asked me to help him carry the books from your office but I forgot" this big bold idiot o, he just made the worst mistake of his life, nobody spoke when Mrs Maggrette hasn't asked them to, I made that mistake once and I painfully regretted it. Kalu was looking at Chris in horror, everyone was and he was doomed.

"I'm sorry ma, I'll just go and get it" he made a move to leave his seat when she spoke "will you shut up and stand where you are!" Her voice was unnaturally calm and when it gets this way we only hoped for the worst. From the corner of my eyes I could see people make silent prayer, why didn't you just shut up you this stupid boy I said internally now we're dead, haew God o, we're finished!

"You don't speak when you're not spoken to" she said in that sinister calm voice that sent shivers down my spine, the class was gravely silent.

"I don't care how you manage to take down the notes for today, sit down both of you" she spoke "I have two periods right?! So you'll use the remaining thirty minutes of the the second one to receive your punishment, now take down the heading, Sentences"

Oh blessed God!, why did my doom come so early, my heart hammered in my chest. What will happen to me?

I jotted down what the devil's spawn dictated into my jotter, the class passed rather painfully slow, I felt very edgy. I chewed on my bottom lip and shook my leg anxiously.

"Follow me" Mrs Maggrette dragged her lazy self out from behind the desk, I loathed this woman "all of you!" and with this last part everyone got up, I could hear some girls whimpering already. I shoved my jotter into my bag and trailed along out of the class with the rest of the students.

It felt like Moses leading the children of Israelites through the red Sea on dry land to the promise Land but in this case it was Mrs Maggrette leading us to a painful doom. I noticed students peeping out of their classroom windows at us, I held unto my bag strap tighter, my palms were sweaty.

"Wait here"

We all came to a halt in front of the English department office, Mrs Maggrette went inside. My heart was hammering in my chest and I breathed through my mouth, I looked around and saw some other students visibly shaking.

Devil's spawn returned from the office with Mr Okereke behind her, all English teachers were known for sticking together and having each other's backs.

"Give each of them ten strokes" she nodded in our direction "that will teach them to be serious" she smiled smugly. I heard people gasp around me and exclaim 'Haew!'. I could feel a sob form in my throat, God o!.

One after the other people went into the office to receive their strokes of cane. Esse came out with her fair face all red and blotchy with tears brimming in her eyes, flinging her palm that was swollen and red.

Kalu's glasses were all foggy and he had tears streaming down his face when he came out, Chris on the other hand came out with a blank look on his face. He burned the cane, people went in and came out then it was finally my turn.

I dropped my bag and wiped my palm on my skirt, blood rushed into my head and it felt heavy, I walked slowly into the office "Hurry up and don't waste my time!" Mrs Maggrette shouted and I walked a bit faster but my legs felt heavy.

I stretched out my arm and opened my palm then squeezed my eyes tightly, it was the only way I could let myself take it.

Whip!

"Daddy! I'm sorry"

Whip!

"I promise, I'll do better"

Whip!

"Will you ever disobey me again?!"

Whip!

"No, never!"

Whip!

"Please stop!"

Whip!

"Don't. Be. Useless." He said with every stroke "You can't take less than the best position in my house!"

Whip!

"Those people that take first, second and third don't have two heads!"

Whip!

"I'm sorry! I'll never do it again!"

Whip!

"Will you do your best?!"

Whip!

"Yes!"

Memories flashed through my mind with every stroke, tears leaked through my lashes when the flogging stopped, I still had my eyes closed when Mr Okereke shouted for me to leave.

I scrambled out of the office, my palm throbbed, my head ached, my nose leaked and tears streaked down my face. I hurriedly picked up my bag but with the tightened muscles and my palm swollen it felt like being stabbed in the palm.

I wiped my eyes with the back of my palm and took off running, my feet directed me, I didn't stop when I heard my name being called out, I just ran until I was inside the girls restroom on the SS2 block and entered one of the stalls and bolted myself inside.

I sat there sobbing, I didn't know why, maybe because I hated school or maybe because I loathed Mrs Magrette or maybe because I just didn't want to be reminded of things I've tried so hard to forget and push past.

The siren blared, fifth period was finally over which meant it was time for lunch break. I stopped sobbing and I walked out of the toilet stall and looked at the myself in the floor length mirror at the wall.

I was in disarray, my white short sleeve button down shirt was untucked and my Navy blue tie was loosened, my Navy blue blazer was unbuttoned and my black pleated flay skirt was turned in an angle whereby the zip now sat at the side of my waist instead of the back. The only thing in its proper state was my black knee socks and shoes.

This was the Monday, Tuesday and Thursday uniform but the much neater version. I sniffed and washed my face at the sink and wiped my face with the face towel from my bag. I dressed properly and ready to act like nothing ever happened.

A/N

Chei ya! Poor Asira can't take cane, Sha at least we got a sneak peek of her memories. Who even sent that busybody Chris to go and talk seff.

Anyways I hope you all liked this chapter and please click the orange star and share with someone, don't forget to comment your thoughts as well.

Have a great day!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.1K 1.9K 47
COMPLETED Elliana Williams has lived in Chicago all her life, but as punishment for always getting into fights, she is sent to Nigeria, Her mother's...
178K 41.9K 70
"If I tell you I am in love with you, how will you react? " he leaned close to me. Hmm... I could faint, jump in excitement, cry, run away, hug him...
15.1K 4.4K 68
She is beautiful. He is handsome. She is rich and kind. He is wealthy and arrogant. She believes in love and finding her soulmate. He hates love and...
45.5K 12.2K 75
The choices teenagers make... Some choose to smoke Some choose to steal Some choose to be bullies to defend themselves Some end up getting pregnant...