lifeline ⇾ kai parker

Por kaisms

amidst the relentless danger always plaguing mystic falls, mila ramone visits her hometown in hopes of reunit... Mais

𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞: 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐧𝐞
01┃homecoming
02┃remember to remember me
03┃untimely demises
04┃the after you
05┃into the woods
06┃midnight calling
07┃eye of the storm
09┃rescue missions
10┃blood ties
11┃the firsts of lasts
12┃back to you
13┃one condition
14┃witching hour
15┃belonging
16┃tattered vows
17┃picture perfect
18┃the wreck of our hearts
19┃lost and found
20┃tangled souls
𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞: 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐭𝐰𝐨
21┃hello cruel world
22┃familial
23┃jeweled fates
24┃to be human
25┃burnt edges
26┃rumor has it
27┃war of deception
28┃promises kept and unkept
29┃true colors
30┃the enemy of my enemy
31┃all in good time
32┃light in the dark
33┃wedding bells
34┃a string of fate
35┃harmonious tribulation
𝐟𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞: 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞
36┃cross my heart
37┃memory lane
38┃a serpant's coils
39┃the other side of the door
40┃in my veins
41┃disillusion
42┃warped sensibility
43┃to the bone
44┃one hell of a miracle
45┃not all monsters
46┃dreamscapes
47┃a sandclock catapult
48┃the ghost in the byline
49┃once upon a time
50┃lifeline
𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞: 𝐚𝐧 𝐢𝐧 𝐝𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐡 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐜𝐮𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐪 + 𝐚

08┃heaven and hell

1.6K 68 45
Por kaisms

CHAPTER EIGHT

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

HER PHONE WAS SQUISHED between her ear and shoulder while her hands gripped the last of the grocery bags. She slowly made her way inside, attempting to listen to the voice on the other line despite the background noise of a TV sitcom and the clatter of dishes being washed.

"Whatever plans you have today, cancel them."

"Hello to you, too, Damon."

She sets the groceries down on the kitchen counter, freeing her hands so she could grip her phone properly. "I mean it. Do whatever you have to do. I need you at the house."

"Why? Is something wrong?"

"Well, we're trying to send a message to Bon-Bon today."

"I know. Elena told me earlier. She didn't explain how, though."

"Kai is how."

"What?"

"Yeah, the little weasel showed up and said he wanted to help. Explained he felt obligated to since it was his fault. I wouldn't have believed him if he didn't go on and on about his feelings for an hour. Turns out merging gave him a conscious, who knew?" Damon explained to her. It reminds her of the other night when he showed up at her house, when she told him she forgave him for everything he did -- just like that.

Of course when Mila said that, she was only speaking for herself. Her friends were another story, and she knew it would take more than a heartfelt apology for them to even consider forgiving Kai for all of the madness he's caused. Which explains why he had offered to help with Bonnie, proving that he wanted to make up for everything. Mila hoped this wasn't a temporary change of heart and Kai was really trying to be better. Otherwise, the only thing she herself would be proving is that she was an idiot for believing him.

"So what's the problem?" Mila continued putting away items; her mother had joined her after finishing up the dishes."If you're getting help, then things should be moving along."

"The problem is that he's annoying. He won't shut up. Can barely focus. And since most of the nonsense coming out of his mouth is about little ol' you, I figured having you here will keep him in check."

"Kai rambles on about anything and anyone. I doubt me being there would make a difference."

"Yeah, but Kai doesn't talk about how he could look into my eyes forever and how much he wants to plant one on me. He talks that way about you. Lucky for us, I think he's got a crush on you, Mils."

"Do I sense jealousy? Do you want Kai to plant one on you?" She quotes him, lips upturned, and her mom sends her a questioning look but lets her daughter continue with her conversation.

"What you sense is disgust and disturbance. And I better be sensing your arrival within the next twenty minutes or I might throw him out before we make any progress," Damon told her, the irritation obvious in his tone.

After going back and forth a few more times, Mila finally agreed and ended the call with the persuasive vampire. She finished up in the kitchen, and before she could ask her mom if it was okay for her to leave, the woman already told her she could go. Mila knew at this point over the years, with Elena's kindness, Caroline's ability to be a people pleaser, and Damon's flirty comments, that her friends had successfully gained her parents' trust and acceptance.

"Have fun. And if you're gonna stay the night, let me know. Say hi to Damon for me," her mother said to her as Mila gathered her things to leave. She lifted the cup of tea she had made to her lips, watching her daughter search for her car keys that were right in front of her.

"If I didn't know any better, I would think you're planning to leave Dad for him," Mila commented, distracted. Eventually, she noticed her keys and picked them up from the kitchen table.

"The only man I would divorce your father for is Elijah. Such a shame his family left town. He was such a gentleman."

Mila nodded, muttering a weak 'yeah' because her mother was unaware that the gentleman she was speaking of was an original vampire who had a very homicidal brother you didn't want to be on the wrong side of. To be fair, Elijah was the most likable sibling to her; he always treated her kindly.

After saying goodbye to her mom and her dad when she passed him in the living room, she was out the door and yet again on the familiar route to the Salvatore Boarding House, where apparently a Gemini Coven witch was waiting for her arrival.

━━━━━

THE INKY BLACK SKY WAS adorned by a sprinkle of stars and an illuminating crescent moon. Gone was the monochrome blankness that previously painted the atmosphere above them, replaced by the only sense of realness they have received. While looking up at the sight with wide, gentle eyes, she almost felt like she was home again.

"I was wondering where you went."

The voice was followed by the sound of light footfalls along the shingled roof and eventually the quiet settling of his body when he sat down beside her. Mila was sat cross-legged, and his legs dangled from the edge, but her knee still brushed against his thigh from the closeness. Neither of them bothered to move away for space.

Mila found herself smiling softly before she turned to face him, finding his comforting gaze. "Not like there's many places to look. What happened to your shirt?"

"Oh, it's kinda ruined from the whole lightening strike fiasco." Kai glances down at his own bare torso, the moonlight doing wonders for the taunt, pale skin. "And it's not like I have closet full of spare clothes. So I have to go without one. Sorry. I know this is gonna make you drool."

"You mean sick. It's gonna make me sick," she clarified, her grin only growing wider. She found it impossible to be anything but happy right now.

Kai couldn't help but smile back at her, his heart utterly consumed by how beautiful she looked at the moment. Her hair was now dry, falling in slight waves down her back. Her skin practically glowed under the mystical night sky. And there was her mesmerizing green eyes, which were, like he's previously claimed, still so effortlessly easy to fall into.

Things changed the instant he regained consciousness. He felt the shift in the air. He sensed every ounce of negativity fade away just as quickly as the harsh rain did. Most of all Kai saw the clear picture of Mila above him, desperation coating every inch of her wrecked expression. What they had done, what they had said, became meaningless. The only thing that mattered was that they were in this together, through the blissful highs and destructive lows, and both of them silently vowed to keep that eternal promise.

"I'm surprised you're not thinking up new theories and obsessing over new plans to escape," Kai admits.

"After everything we've gone through since we've been here, I am taking a breather. We're not going to get anywhere if I'm always stressing about our next move. You were right. I need to take moments to relax or I will just blow up," Mila tells him, her stare drifting back to the glistening stars above them.

"Wow. You admitting I was right? We are for sure in a different realm."

"No need to gloat. Besides, who even knows what exactly this place is. I mean, maybe this is simply what happens when you're supposed to go to hell and aren't meant for heaven."

"No. I don't think so."

"Why not? It makes sense."

"You wouldn't go to hell." Kai shakes his head, his own eyes trained on the sky, but the certainty in them was still clear.

"How would you know that?" She scoffs, peering down at her lap. She twiddled her thumbs. "It's not your decision to make."

"Because I know. I know you. You're not meant for that place, and I'm sure even the universe knows that."

Her heart tugs in her chest at his words, which once again attracts her attention, and soon she's staring back at his angular face. If Mila was in the same state of mind she was when she first got here, she would have despised what he had said and the feelings that came along with it. But she wasn't. She knew better than to hang onto all the hostility. She wasn't going to get angry at him for doing something right, even after the so many wrongs he's committed.

So instead, she allowed herself to smile, letting his response mean something. "Actually, I'm pretty sure the universe has it out for me."

"And why's that?" Kai asks, leaning back so his elbows supported him. Sparks of his mischief are found within his attentive gaze.

"Because I'm stuck in someplace worse than hell: With you," Mila teased.

"You don't need to act like you're not still head over heels in love with me. I know you are."

"How can I love a man who can't even dress himself? That suit was the most hideous thing I have ever seen. And I have to constantly look at that animal growing on your face."

"Oh, I know how to translate that. Let me run it through my internal processor. Beep, beep, boop, bop — you want me to take the rest of my clothes off."

"The only thing I want is for you to shave. Maybe I would want to take your clothes off, then," Mila stated after the uncontrollable giggle that escaped her.

"Ouch. Okay new plan. No more figuring out an escape. It looks like we have to find a razor first." Kai shrugged, feeling just as alight and free as she was.

"You better get on it."

"If that's what it takes to get on you."

This initiates her to shove him, but it only encourages the sly smirk on his face to grow. Despite his suggestive references, Mila allows herself to get more comfortable and lay down beside him, amused by his behavior if nothing else. Out of the corner of her eye, she watches Kai do the same, lying back completely, one arm tucked under his head and the other resting by his side.

For the first time, peace had worked its way in through their entire beings, wrapping around their souls, sinking into their bones, reflecting in their shining eyes. It was almost as if everything was forgotten and no betrayal had set them apart. They were just two normal people, pretending to admire the enchanting sky when what they were really admiring was each other.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

42K 2.4K 15
When Charlotte Gilbert travels to the prison world to save her best friends, Damon and Bonnie, her life suddenly shifts. Her plans to finally bring h...
163K 3.1K 75
𝐂𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐫𝐚 𝐆𝐢𝐥𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐭. Elena and Jeremy's older sister, who went to Europe after graduation and left a small, remote town behind. But wha...
126K 2.7K 41
Is it fate or destiny that will bring these two together? ❝You don't know who matters the most in your life, until they're brutally taken from you, a...
20.4K 529 13
Emily may have looked ordinary but there was nothing normal about this girl. She was the Devil's Daughter in that she was a spawn of the Devil himsel...