The institution

By Essien_Eno

Ugly events around Ivie Momoh's life made her preoccupied with a revolutionary three point agenda; to get her... More

The institution episode 1
The institution episode 2
The Institution episode 3
The institution episode 4
The institution episode 5
The institution episode 6
The institution episode 7
The institution episode 8
The institution episode 9
The institution episode 10
The institution episode 11
The institution episode 12
The institution episode 13
The institution episode 14
The institution episode 15
The institution episode 16
The institution episode 17
The institution episode 18
The institution episode 19
The institution episode 20
The institution episode 21
The institution episode 22
The institution episode 23
The institution episode 24
The institution episode 25
The institution episode 26
The institution episode 27
The institution episode 28
The institution episode 29
Thr institution episode 30
The institution episode 31
The institution episode 32
The institution episode 33
The institution episode 34
The institution episode 35
The institution episode 36
The institution episode 38
The institution episode 39
The institution episode 40
The institution episode 41 (Final episode)

The institution episode 37

516 134 7
By Essien_Eno

The institution episode 37

****

"The governor was rushed back into the house after he fainted at the early hours of today." Rita reported
Babylon turned off the television at the in the governor's room.
"I thought that idiot died alongside her idiotic death-seeking partners?" Delilah whispered, "Same thing I thought"
"How are they alive, how is she alive?" Delilah asked, "Ziko" He replied and Delilah tightened her fist.
"That idiot! How could he betray us, we have a code and we certainly keep to it"
"He wasn't initiated"
"And whose fault is that?"
"I hope he's dead"
"Ziko is dead, Jack shot him"
"And are you sure he hasn't resuscitated? Since the dead are coming back to life, shouldn't we expect anything?" She scoffed.
"We can either find a solution to this or we sit or we fold our hands while those people tell the truth of what happened that day. I feel it in my guts that Oscar's boy had something to do with this"
"Same here" Babylon agreed.
"We have to do something before those people start spilling, even though it means killing them again and this time let's hope for all our sakes that they stay dead!"

Ziko tried to stand after watching the news on TV. The doctor who had just finish checking up on him, gave him a stern stare.
"You can shoot lasers out of that eyy if you damn well like but I'm tired of sitting"
"You need rest"
"What I need right now is to walk around, stretch my leg, my ass has been on this bed for days now"
"The wounds are healing, just rest a bit. It's for your own good" he advised and Ziko sat back on the bed.

Racheal laughed on watching the video of Samuel being rushed into the house.
"The main thing hasn't even started and he's fainting"
"These politicians, they don't even have the guts, they live in the shadow of their security guards and people like us" Chopper noted and Racheal sighed.
"Just an observation" he added.
"Are you really going to turn yourself in?"
"After everything. I'm sure my sister would agree with the idea too. They believe in people doing the right thing, my sister and Ivie Momoh so.... Besides the Momoh chick was right, I would have killed Uki if Sister Ade wasn't around. I guess turning myself in will be a way of redeeming myself" he answered and the doctor passed by.
"Excuse me Titus, Doctor!" she called out then she followed him.
"How's the patient?"
"He's fine but he's supposed to rest but if I know that stubborn man, he won't do that" he answered leaving and Racheal walked towards the room where Ziko was.
Ever since she was inducted with the plans and about Ziko's importance in saving her life, she felt somewhat indebted to him.

She entered into the room to see him on his feet holding two clutches about to make his way out of the room.
Racheal placed her hands akimbo on her hips.
"The doctor said you're supposed to rest"
"Well I'm tired of lazying around doing nothing. I feel useless and I'm not used to having such feelings"
"You got shot, twice. You almost died"
"I guess I'm a legend quite alright, since everyone's talking about this. Well, It's not my first time, not my second and won't be the last" Ziko answered and she scoffed.
"Are you even listening to yourself. You might have no family but some people were worried about you. Mr Williams for starters was really disorganized. Now you have a chance of feeling better and the least you can say is it's not the first and it won't be the last. What kind of person are you? I don't know shit about you but I when I found out you're not a complete dick, I even got worried"
"I have two kids, A boy and a girl and I do care about them"
"Why are you acting all I don't care what happens to me when you have kids. You should at least strive to be strong for them, not for anyone" she retorted and he went back to sit in bed.
Then he leaned the clutches against the wall.
"I haven't seen your wife visit"
"I was moved in yesterday and  I don't have any"
"Oh"
"Yes, surprised?"
"I...." she stammered, she didn't even know how to answer the question.. "How are you feeling?"
"I've had worst"
"Stop speaking as though you're bragging about your battles, I asked a simple question"
"That's what it means. I'm fine, I've had worst injury, there was this time I suffered a blast at my back. It left a scare, no one thought I'll survive. I've always been a survivor and I'm not scared of death. Every man dies"
"You sound like a cult man instead of an anti-cultist person"
"I was a cult man actually, the best of us in the team were former frat men"
"Really? What changed your mind?"
"It's a long story"
"Hey." She sat on the bed. "I really don't do anything interesting here so.. I guess I'm all ears"
"I don't like speaking about it" he answered and Racheal sighed.
"It's okay"
There was a awkward silence which lasted about five minutes. The only audible sound was the clearing of throats from the both of them.
"This is awkward" she finally admitted afterwards, "I already sat down to listen to gist"
Ziko shut his eyes, Rachel had just managed to break through his resistance.
"Ten years ago, My daughter, Oma was just three years old and my son was eight months old. I came home that day and my daughter was in school" he blinked some tears in.
"This other cult group marched in, there were four of them. They opened fire and they shot at us, I couldn't even do anything. I woke up after a two weeks, Babylon took care of the whole bill, he had to, it was partly his fault. The Oscar foundation took care of my children, but my wife died. I felt like it would have been better to have died in that battle than make it alive. I felt awful, nothing made sense anymore, life, my job, nothing mattered anymore. For Beatrice and my children, I tried to redeem myself so I found people of like minds and we started up the anti-cult institution" he cried.
"I'm sorry" she apologized.
"I guess we're all trying to redeem ourselves."she added.
"What are you trying to redeem yourself for?"
"There's no redemption for me, not after what I've done"
"You haven't done anything bad"
"I was a prostitute, I never imagined going that far but I did and I every day I wake up and I see my self worth gradually reducing"
"I've done worst things that you can imagine, the blood in my hands... They keep me awake sometimes but just knowing I'm doing one good thing, that's enough redemption for me, what you did. Getting that file, that's enough redemption"
"I killed my aunt" she busted into tears then she leaned against Ziko's shoulders crying.
"If I had called the number"
"This isn't a time for regret, your aunt knew she was going to die. I spoke to her before Jack...." "What did she say?' she pulled back and he gave a faint smile.
"She said I should protect you, I'm sure she must be letting out a sigh of relief knowing you're safe"
"Thank you for helping me. I really appreciate the help"
"You're welcome. Did I mention I met your sister once?" He asked and she opened her mouth in surprise, "How?"

Emotan called for a meeting, the turn out was more than the first there were about eighty two women present because the news of Eghosa's resurrection.
"I know we've all heard the news and you all have definitely come to hear the full news. Well we're live on Facebook and we're here to open everyone's eyes to the truth. I invite to this podium to speak to us, a woman whom I've spent my life admiring, a woman that was wrongfully pronounced dead, my sister Eghosa" she announced and Eghosa went up to the podium.
"My women I greet you oh." She began in English then she continued in Bini, "I know for some, your heart still beats in fear because you feel the person standing in front of you is a ghost but I want you to be relaxed, It's still me the fearless Eghosa"
Some of the women jubilated.
"We are back!" Some of them yelled,
"Yes oh! We are back! Eight years of lies, eight years of atrocities here and there but we have remained quiet not saying anything but today we are saying enough is enough! I have had this anguish burning In me for eight years, out of the fear of ending up dead. They thought they killed us in that bush so we buried ourselves for eight years and now we've resurrected and we are here to say to the government." Before she could complete her words a gun shot was fired towards her direction and it hit the wooden podium, so she hid besides it.
Everyone presente started running off for their lives. The anti-cultist group who were present alongside with trusted Police men headed by Faruq held their guns ready to open fire incase the shooters tried to shoot again.

Jack drove off along with some member of the gang.

"Should we go after them?" Faruq asked and a man shook his head.
"There's no point, they might still be around. Let's first of all get Madam Eghosa out of here first"

Emotan rushed towards her sister. "Are you okay?" "Yes" she laughed like a crazy person.
"Wrong move Babylon," she whispered. "I guess we'll have to go to DTV to continue this then"

Samuel finally woke up to see Delilah's face over him. "Jesus!" He yelled in fear and she raised a brow at him. "Am I that hideous?"
"Did you see her? Sh... Sh... She said she was coming to haunt me. Was I the only one who saw her or was I dreaming?"
"She's real" Delilah answered and Samuel fell on the bed again.
"Are you going to faint again?" She snapped and Samuel placed his hands above his head.
"How is she alive?"
"That fool Ziko did this. I don't care if he's dead, if I can see his dead body, I would have put holes in every damn part!" She snapped then she exhaled.
"Now the whole of Benin is talking about you fainting like an idiot. Can you imagine that?"
"Who have we offended now?" He asked unconsciously then he hissed.
"Has Babylon made plans?"
"Has Babylon made plans?" She mimicked him, "If you stand up for once to give ideas of what should be done, will you die?"
"I was unconscious. Do you know how I was feeling, my heart was like, it would come out of my chest. Why wasn't I taken to the hospital?"
"Well, I knew it was a minor issue and all we needed was to pour water on you but I didn't though. Of course I knew you were just being a coward"
"What if I had died"
"We would have given you a proper burial"
"Don't joke about things like this Delilah."
"I'm not in a good mood Samuel, don't expect me to be the perfect wife right now. If I didn't care about you, I would have been out of this house" she answered.
This was followed by a brief silence.
"Doctor Adams said it was a mild heart attack and he advised you stay away from things that will make your blood pressure higher"
"With everything happening? Even you sitting close to me is enough to make it go higher." He complained and she glared at him.
He threw his face against the wall then he hissed again.
"I know Babylon must have done something. What's in place?"
"There's a meeting at the market square and" her phone rang, it was a call from Babylon.
"Babylon kind of ordered for Eghosa's  elimination"
"Is that even smart?"
"Wait" she picked up the call.
"Good news?"
"No. They missed, she's not dead and they're moving towards DTV. She's going to confess"
"Are you going to make her do that?"
"What should I do? Go there and stop her? Live today, fight another day Delilah. We're screwed if she goes there. We don't know what trick that William guy has in stock for us. I'm not going to sit around and watch it unfold"
"Are you doing what I think you are?" She stood up and Babylon laughed.
"I'll advise you and your husband to do same"
"You're running away from a battle. When... When have we ever done that? We're warrriors, didn't our parents teach you better"
"The last time I checked, our parents ended up in jail and that's the last place I want to be. I'd rather die by the gun!" He snapped and she hung up.
"Cowards everywhere!" She yelled and Samuel struggled to rise up.
"He's running away right?"
"Was i speaking in French?" She snapped back then she rolled her eyes.
"Just one simple challenge and he's planning to run"
"I better call the maids to start packing up my things too"
"To where?"
"The governor is sick, very ill and needs to be rushed to the United States for treatment. I better call that Silvia to start cooking up something to publish" His eyes scattered around for his phone.
"Where's that phone let me also call Dr. Adams"
"You're not going anywhere"
"Let's be real here. If Babylon is running it means he's out of options and has little ideas left. This idea to leave is the only best thing I can think of right now and you have to admit that it'll work fine"

Ralph walked into Silvia's office smiling. She was on a call with the governor so he had to be put on hold.
She scribbled on a notebook while Ralph waited.
"Yes Mr Governor, yes Sir." She nodded then she hung up rolling her eyes then she rubbed her forehead.
"Rough night?" Ralph asked and she rolled her eyes.
"So the Governor is awake then"
"Were you expecting him to die?"
"No. I mean that video that has been trending with fainting. That's something that will never get old'"
"Welcome to Nigeria Ralph. It's not called a trend for a reason, soon it'll pass and no one will talk about it again"
Ralph nodded; she did have a point there.
"What do you want?" She asked and he passed a news draft to her.
"Ghost of activist past comes back haunting." Silvia read his headline and then she scoffed, "Seriously?"
"What?"
"You're a joke Ralph, your whole career is a joke"
"Why can't you take me seriously?"
"Because you don't take yourself seriously? How do you come up with these headlines? Is it supposed to be funny? We're supposed to promote the image of the Governor not make people laugh at him"
"I really miss those period when we can post whatever we want. When you post the serious things, Ivie will try to piss off some sexist or rapist and James will always try to be the dick and I'll be the funny one. We can post whatever we want"
"Times have changed. If you're totally blind to see it"
"Well times are changing too. You saw what happened right? Eghosa and those activist that were declare me dead. When they even declared them dead, the number was not real." He placed his hands on the table now looking at the scribbles on the table.
"The end is coming for the governor and you're also too blind to see it."
"What do you mean?"
"Curious much?"
"It's election season, Benson will win"
"I'm putting my money on that Osagie guy"
"Well get ready to lose cause sometimes we just have to wake up to the reality called life. People will always choose the popular party, people will always choose the money"
"Like you did. Like you chose the money over Ivie and you betrayed her by testifying against her. Giving false testimonies that didn't even make it to court"
"Get out of my office"
"Sure I will, it was more fun working for Ivie than it was working for you and PS, it's not your company; it's more of Ivie's own. It was just an initiative by four of us but my name isn't even on the origin when you search for it online and don't think for na second that I buy the whole. It was a mistakes, when we were giving out names in 2009 the online publisher left out your name, I don't buy it! Cause I've always known that thing was done by no one other than you and James"
"Well you're not wrong, no one knows you, you don't even look the part. You're plain pathetic, you don't have a life, no wife, no kids"
"Oh like your life is perfect Silvia. Look at your life, you're going through a rough marriage,  I'm pretty sure after Ivie is done with you..."
"What can Ivie do?" Silvia scoffed.
"What power does she have? The contract I made, makes me head of this paper for as long as ever"
"I'm done I resigned till Ivie takes over"
"You're drunk"
No I'm not"
"You won't last the month, don't come begging, I might not be merciful this time to give you a job"
"Don't count on it" he smiled leaving the office then he looked at Getrude.
"See you after the new government"
"You resigned?"
"Best thing I've ever done" he smiled leaving then he called  Ivie who was in a office with the Editor-in-chief of The conquest newspapers.
"Are you going to have it published or not?"
"We don't know how true is it"
"It's hundred percent true, I'm the kind to exaggerate or lie when writing. You can either have it typed it not. I wouldn't have come if I didn't get a good recommendation"
"I'm sorry. Pardon me, I.... I just want to ask you real quick. Don't be offended but in case you need a job, this place is freely opened for you. We could use your talent"
"I'm flattered but I have getting my company back on my mind. Thank you for the offer though"

Ralph called Ade almost immediately, "Hey Mama" "Hey dear, you just made me smile right now. How are you doing? How's work?"
"I just resigned"
"Why?"
"Cause I finally realized that I don't want to work for that bitch any longer and i believe in the power karma's and in the power of restitution."
"I'm sorry"
"I missed you" he confessed and she nodded.
"I missed you too but with this whole lockdown thing and trying to be safe. We just have to take precaution"
"Yeah it's as if the only people getting all the joy is Ivie and Liam" he answered and Ade laughed.
"You're sick" she commented.
"I would really love to meet your parents immediately after all these, I've been thinking and I seriously need to start up a family, maybe have kids"
"Sounds like a plan. Maybe we'll have our child shortly after Sister Ivie gives birth""
"Ivie's pregnant?" Ralph asked in shock and Ade laughed.
"Well you didn't hear that from me"

After the meeting, Ivie instantly put a call through to Ralph after the meeting. "I missed your call. I was in the middle of a meeting. What happened?"
"I already called your husband to be about it"
"About what?"
"I saw something scribbled on Silvia's  note, the governor called her, gave her what to publish. Apparently, he's planning on going out for a treatment abroad"
"He's trying to escape"
"My thoughts exactly"
"He can't escape just yet, he has to pay for his crimes"
"Yes he does."
"I'm on my way there"

"You won't find me here. I already resigned from work" Ralph confessed and Ivie felt bad.
"Why?"
"Well, for starters, i did what I should have done years ago. I want to work under you and not under that bitch. I'd rather be your purse going everywhere with you, it much more fun than being seen as no good"
"It might take a month, two months but everything will be fine"
"I believe in you" he answered.
"Someone forgot to mention she's pregnant" Ralph chipped in and Ivie laughed.

The news at eight on DTV had half of the population in the state glued to the television. "Madam Eghosa Obaseki allegedly claimed to have been in hiding because the Governor and his associates ordered their assassination. Here's her story" A newscasted announced and a playback of the interview with Rita earlier on in the day was played.
"I along with nine activist marched to the government house. We protested and we chanted songs but nothing happened, the governor paid deaf ears to our cries to have mercy on Ivie Momoh. The shocking thing was that no press was around, it was like the first thing they did when they got in was to hijack the power of the press. Then we went to the police station to show our seriousness, we didn't use violence, two policemen came out of the car and he shot one of us. Ronald Campbell who I heard testified that it was the use of violence that made the policemen open fire. I even heard that some people said we had guns too. That was all lies, it wasn't a violent protest. We were taken to a bush or a forest, I engaged in a discussion with the kidnapper and I confirmed my suspicion. Before he could kill us, a mole in the gang shot him dead and that was how we could survive. They wanted us dead, particularly me, they wanted me dead."
"Ma I can't help but notice your use of they" Rita paused, "Who are they?"
"The governor, his wife and his associates, the deputy, his chief adviser on political matters, Babylon, Ahmed Salisu, Haruna Suleiman, just to name a few. They perpetuated this"
"And why would they want you dead Ma"
"To silence me from the truth I knew all those years, just as they tried to silence Ivie Momoh too by falsefully taking her to jail for a crime she didn't commit. She knew nothing about those things they accused her off, just like I was asked to be assassinated.  Samuel Godwin didn't win the election eight years, it was completely rigged. I knew that information and I had proof, they knew and they decided to kill me for it just like what happened earlier on in the day during our live session on Facebook. Eight years and we've all been deceived with lies, this is the real truth. Whether or not they come after my life again, I refuse to keep quiet any longer."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

257K 28.3K 51
A story of heartbreak, betrayal and bounce backs.
12.4K 654 20
Forced to marry, Mmasi begins to explore her unwanted marriage and her husband, Feelings are brewing and dramas unfolding. Complete ☑️
249 53 27
Small town girl named Rose. who lost her mother when she was very young. Rose lives with her father but he is very depressed as his wife is no more w...
1.9K 387 18
*** Only three things are certain in life: death, injustice and love. Umma had drilled this into Amina's head from the day she was born. One couldn't...