Spirits

By Charlie-Duke

Maurea wants a place to belong and, after finally finding it with the Spirits of The Ocean, she must defend i... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38

Chapter 25

28 6 29
By Charlie-Duke

I joined Isabella standing at the window. Her long brown hair was pulled in her fist as she twirled the ends, a tick she developed when thinking.

"What was the nature of your conversation?" I asked, clasping my hands together. The skin that used to be soft and subtle was now tough, calloused and dry.

Isabella studied me before smiling. She extended both hands and I walked over, taking mine.

"I only asked him how you met and why he felt obligated to help you," she explained. "It's natural I worry for my little sister. Jax seemed to share my sentiments."

I shook my head at my sister's bold actions. She had always been the stubborn sister, facing all obstinate head on.

"If I'm being honest," I pulled away, tugging at her hands, smiling, "I have only known him for a few weeks."

I hated to admit I had allowed someone she viewed as a stranger to join me and brought him to her house, but Isabella was drawing her own conclusion. That could be dangerous, but I could use the situation to ease her into the idea of Jax. If she trusted the both of us, we could learn more from her. I didn't want to see my sister as the enemy, but our motives were less than honorable.

"If you say so," she teased. "He does care for you. I only had to ask what your relationship was before he agreed to protect you when I cannot be there."

I felt my face heat up as Isabella swept past me. Her dress hid her stomach and I realized she must have just developed symptoms.

"Does your husband know you're pregnant?" I looked down at her dress and the state of the house. If I was Lord Bartne, I would have never left my pregnant wife alone. He wasn't a horrible man, but he held no love for my sister. A child could change that.

Once Lord Bartne found that Isabella was expecting, there was a fool's chance of kidnapping her. Not only that, once Isabella gave birth, she would be inseparable from the child. Our window of opportunity had shrunk tenfold.

"No. I don't talk to him often, he's busy." Opening the door, she led me out. "Let's go for a walk. How does that sound?"

I followed Isabella out of the room, leaving the breakfast dishes for the maids. The house was finely decorated, but it looked worthless next to my sister's smile as she pointed out her favorite artwork and showed me the library that occupied her days. She seemed genuinely happy and I pushed the thought of stealing her away for the moment, imagining I was here for a friendly visit.

"What happened to your clothes?" Isabella asked as she finally opened the door to the gardens.

"I had to hide in many different places," I shrugged, "and it's not easy travelling across the country."

"Still, they are exceptionally dirty," she said, scrutinizing my appearance. "Your hair and skin look as if they've been drowned in tar."

I lifted the cotton shirt, studying the mud crusted on the lower part. "I don't think they are that bad. A simple wash and the fabric will be almost new."

Isabella gasped and my heart stopped, thinking I had revealed my non-desirable attire. Instead she pulled my pant leg up, revealing the only boots that had fit me in the storage room. "Where did you get the heeled boots? They aren't your style." She leaned in, glancing around the room, "Only country prowlers wear boots like this."

Isabella looked at them with a crinkled nose. The mud coated soles and cracked leather were comfortable, but I could understand how she would mistaken them for a prostitute's footwear.

"They were the only option. I trust you know me well enough to believe that I am honorable and meant no harm. Besides," I joked, "I don't intend to wear them much longer." Just until I was able to return to Intutum with my sister as an ally.

Isabella huffed, turning away to walk through the glass door and I followed her. She waved her hand at them.

"Why don't you keep wearing them and you can change into riding boots before you leave?"

I realized that the boots weren't as practical, but I still they were still familiar feelings, comforting like an old friend. After all, they came from my home.

"I will consider your offer." I agreed, not intended to accept if the matter rose again.

The orange trees shaded the path that wound through the flowers and hedges from the rising sun. It was too early for the oranges to be blossoming, but I could imagine the smell when the velvety buds exploded. For now I enjoyed the crisp morning air as the trickling of water echoed somewhere beyond the trees.

"When I first moved here, the garden was void of life and, with Lord Bartne away for business, I took it upon myself to restore it." Isabella stared at her trees and flowers with pride like a mother showing off her child. "What do you think?"

I could feel the warmth from the rising sun and the cool breeze. The wind carried the aroma of roses and chrysanthemums to me and I smiled.

"It's just like when we were younger, isn't it?" I gapped, feeling controversy over the reminder. It wasn't a good place, but it had some good memories.

"Of course, I had to leave the gardens and stable, but I didn't forget them. Look over there." Isabella pointed to a small foundation tucked away between two large trees, the marble edge just apparent.

We moved closer and the calm mood turned sullied. The water trickled over the stone fish swimming up the sides, a bitter reminder.

"It's exactly like I remember it," I said, walking over and taking a seat.

"I even put the crack in the base," Isabella spoke as her features clouded, her mind caught in the past.

I looked and found the crack was still there cutting up the edge of the seat. The green moss crusted inside like home. It had been there for years, pins and stubbly fingers unable to clear the invader.

"It's amazing, Isabella." She was looking at me, waiting for my approval. "Why don't you come with us? We could get a new fountain, a house and a stable or anything you could possibly want."

I was rambling and waving my hands in front of me, trying to express the importance of her leaving.

"I can't!" Isabella hissed. Her eyes were narrowed, a complete shift in personality.

"But why not? You have no loyalty to these men. Your husband doesn't spare you a glance and father is still as controlling as ever. We can run far from here, start a new life." I bit my lip before adding, "Help people."

Our quiet morning became tense as I felt the stuffy feeling in my chest grow as my hands shook in my lap. This was my last attention to convince her to leave with us. If those words didn't soften her resolve, nothing would.

Isabella's face was scrunched and she glared at me, brown eyes burning. I was pushing her to anger that only father could bring out.

"You don't understand why he has to do it. If you had married your ex-fiancé, you would understand why I need to stay, but now the burden doesn't fall on your shoulders. You concern yourself with what could have been. I have a purpose here and you have a second chance." Isabella stood and began walking back to the house with me storming after her. "I am happy as long as you're safe and happy."

I grabbed at her arm, trying to get her to listen to reason. Isabell had always been the proper lady and listened to father, but I knew she hated him as much as me if not more.

"What purpose? The wife of a nobleman, unable to speak up to fight for your beliefs? They only need you to produce heirs. You can't possibly be happy with that role. Come with me, you can work for yourself, even with the baby. You can't sacrifice who you are for them forever. Please, come with me," I begged.

Isabella shook her head. Tears were growing in her eyes as we entered the house, but she refused to look at me.

I kept trying to talk to her and show her my side of the conversation, but she simply sat at the window and ignored me.

I gave up as Isabella kept her eyes trained away from me.

I looked up at her sudden intake of breath. Her face went stone cold and an ashen look appeared as she gazed out the window. She stood quickly and I had a moment of hope thinking she was going to agree with me before Jax ran into the room.

The front porch groaned as Isabella waved at us, telling us to run. She looked terrified and only one thing could scare her that much. I felt my body freeze as I listened to the squeal of the hinges.

Jax grabbed me and pulled us into a small cupboard at the side of the room. The only other way out was where the sound of footsteps came from. Heavy boots tread in the entrance hall and I could hear Isabella walking out toward the sound.

"Father, husband, Sir Nicholas. What brings you here so soon? I was under the impression you would return later this week."

I could feel my chest rising and my breathing hitched and became shallow. Jax looked at me and I stared back at him, ready to collapse. He raised a finger to his lips and I nodded. There was nothing in the world worth risking a meeting with my ex-fiancé and his companions.

"We caught the women running for the ocean," the deep voice boomed in pride. "It only took us a few days to find her, so we returned early."

The sound radiated through the room and chilled me. I never thought I would have to hear my father's voice again. I assumed they were talking about me, but they hadn't found me. Jax looked at me questioning, but I shook my head dreading the thought of some poor girl captured by them.

"That's nice to hear, dear," Isabella said, with an edge to her voice. "Would you like to eat lunch in the dining hall now?"

"Yes," Lord Bartne replied. "Please go tell the maids to prepare it and come get us when they are done."

I heard her light footsteps down the hall and the creaking of furniture as the men sat down. Only the thin door separated us now.

"Now that I helped you hunt down the demon, are we going to find my fiancée?"

I grabbed Jax's arm as I heard the deep voice of Nicholas. Nothing had changed in the weeks. He was still smug, arrogant and completely self-centered. When he had visited after the engagement, he only referred to me as his fiancée and treated me like a piece of meat.

"We'll find her, don't you worry. She has nowhere to go and has no experience outside of our house." I heard my father's laughter and he was joined by the others. "For now, we just have to keep hunting."

The men continued their conversation while the air in the small closet became hotter. The stuffy room was small and I could feel a bead of sweat trail down my neck. I was still clinging to Jax's arm, but I found I couldn't let go.

"Lunch is ready." Isabella's voice was like bells in the distance.

I almost cried when I heard the men get up to leave. After a few minutes, the room went silent and the voices travelled down the hall into another room. The door opened and Isabella stood there, panic on her face.

"Hurry. You need to leave now. If they find you," she cut off, looking over her shoulder. "He can't find you, Maurea."

She ushered me and Jax out of the closet and to the doorway. She pushed a bag into my hands and peered around the corner. "Read my letter and meet me tonight. I love you, stay safe."

Isabella gave me a brisk hug before opening the front door and pushing us out. As soon as the door closed, we turned down the road and ran as though our lives depended on it. The sweat from the closet mixes with the sun to coat our bodies in a thin skin of water. If only this water could calm me the way the ocean could.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.8K 752 10
In which a boy who thinks he controls everything meets the girl who actually does. --- Peter Pan is king of Neverland, a mystical island of his own c...
236 20 4
completed - 3rd place in the Phoenix Wars (miscellaneous category) as of 4/23/18💛 #1 in nautical as of 3/1/19💛 #38 in lore as of 4/7/19💛 - "You ma...
287 2 18
Ayda is a girl living in a world where, the second you're born, you are born with a prophecy that explains the main course your life will take. And b...