The Shadow Setters Book 1: Pr...

By FreddyTiernan

Jason Conroy is a popular 16 year old with the world at his feet. That seemed to be the case until unexpected... More

The Shadow Setters Book 1: Prominence - Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50

Chapter 23

4.2K 87 4
By FreddyTiernan

Chapter 23

David arrived home from work just after six and opened the front door to be greeted with a house ringing with raised voices and boisterous laughter. Not having seen a car on the drive had caught him by surprise that Jason's friends had actually arrived. Entering the sitting room, all of the guests exchanged hellos and Tim was introduced to the head of the household. 

'Good to see you all boys. I didn't see any wheels so I hadn't expected to see you. I take it you're the driver Tim? Where are you parked?' 

'Just down the road a bit. I wanted to let you get your car on the drive first; it's a bit better than mine.' 

David raised his eyebrows in satisfactory acknowledgement. 

'Well that's very thoughtful of you Tim, thank you.' 

'No worries Mr Conroy. Now that you're home, I'll just move it back.' 

With that, Tim picked up his coat and car keys and exited out of the front door. All the other boys exchanged a stealthy look of satisfaction amongst themselves. David returned his attention to the remaining group that was sprawled out over the remaining unopened boxes and indigenous furniture. 

'So then boys, it's a club tonight then I take it?' They all replied 'yes Mr Conroy' as one. 

'And no alcohol to be consumed as well I trust?' Their answer between them was a jumble of replies but all lead to the same meaning, 'No Mr. Conroy.'  

'Excellent. Then I hope you boys will have a very good time. What time will I expect to see you home Jason?' 

'We were going to stay over at Spider's mate's place after if that was ok with you? We thought that chances are we are all going to be pretty knackered afterwards and we didn't think it was fair to expect Tim to drive back. The offer was there to crash over so we were gonna take it and head back about mid day Saturday if that's alright?' 

Everyone's eyes were anxiously glued to David's thoughtful expression. After a few agonising seconds of waiting in silence, David answered. 'Yeah, that's fine. I don't foresee a problem with that plan; in fact I think that it's a very sensible solution. You're all decent boys, just remember to behave. I'm sorry to sound a bore, but in my position I have to ask.' 

Once again there was a resounding confirmation to Conroy senior's wishes and with a smile and a nod, David excused himself from their company and headed in the direction of the kitchen. Jason closed the door behind his father as the boys relaxed and exhaled as one. A knock on the front door signalled Tim's return. Jason sprang into action and within seconds the pair returned to the sitting room, both faces looked stern. Spider, the eternal pessimist jumped straight to a conclusion. 

'It's the wagon isn't it? Don't tell me you've binned it already Tim?' 

'You should see it. It's a mess son. Sorry.' 

Spider put his head in his hands, then swept back his long lank black hair to reveal his ivory white, gaunt features, now instantly showing an added strain, veins pulsing in his forehead. 'Tell me you're winding me up boys please? If anyone so much as farts in that wagon let alone ding it my brother will chop my Jacobs off, no lie, I swear.'  

Both Jason and Tim's faces changed from solemn to elated as their prank exceeded even their own wishes. 'You're such a worrier Spi.' Tim beamed back. 'Only spoofing old boy. Nice motor though.' 

The boys all laughed as Spider ignored them and took a huge sigh of relief. Jason turned to Tim. 'The old guy has swallowed it so we're on.' Tim looked at the other lads and they all nodded. 

'Nice one. When do you wanna do phase two?'  

Jason checked his watch. 'I dunno about you chaps but I could eat now. What do you reckon?' 

Steve underlined another concern. 'Hang on a sec J. You spoke earlier about suspecting the food around here is drugged and makes you sleep through planes buzzing your gaff. It we're gonna eat from the same places as you do then aren't we all gonna be asleep by ten o'clock?' 

'He's got a point.' Added Tim. 

Jason replied confidently. 'All taken care of. Show em Spi.' 

Spider dipped into his jacket pocket and pulled out a small cardboard box. 'Pro plus boys, never leave home without em. Well my brother doesn't.' Informed Spider. 'He's no stranger to night working, he swears by them and I've got plenty to go around.' 

'So then, if there are no further questions?' 

They all agreed as all growing teenage boys do that stuffing their faces with food that is bad for them is always a good idea no matter what time of the day it is. Jason left them to it in the lounge and went to speak to his father who was sitting at the table with a steaming brew, examining the daily mail as he usually did when time permitted him to do so. 

'Good day then?' Jason queried. 

'Yeah not bad, you?' 

'Yeah good. It's good to see the boys again, keeps me motivated, know what I mean?' 

David frowned. 'I'm not sure that I do but if it makes you happy to see them then I guess then that can only be a positive thing for you. So anyway, I take it that you are all going to get something to eat before you shoot off?' 

'Funny you should say that, I was just about to ask you if you were ready for dinner. The majority vote is Indian. How does that sound?' 

'Like a good call.' David rose instantly out of his chair and whipped the jacket off of the back in the same action, picking his keys from where he left them next to his half drained mug of tea. 

'Ahhh, don't worry about driving, if you go with Tim he'll drive. Plus he's blocking you in and some of the lads need to get some dosh out. I thought you wouldn't mind going with them? I don't have the foggiest when it comes to things like that round here.' 

David rubbed his chin for a few seconds then replaced his keys on the table. 'Yeah ok then. We'll be about forty minutes alright?' 

'Yeah, no worries.' 

'Good. That will give you plenty of time to clear that pile of washing up in the sink you've managed to create.' 

'Ok dad. Cheers.' 

Jason sped back into the sitting room and told the boys that they were off on a food and money trip. They nodded acknowledgement silently and checked pockets for wallets about their persons. With the group of Tim, Grant and Steve huddled enthusiastically at the door, David joined them then they all piled out into the absolute darkness and cold that seemed commonplace to Jason. He smiled as he heard the whines and protests from the boys as the weather introduced itself once again to the new residents. He waited in the hallway patiently as he heard the seven seater loaded up and pull out of the driveway then onto their destination. Jason spun around only to be greeted by a silent Spider looming behind unannounced like a giant black crow which made him jump. 

'Jesus Christ Spi! It's scary enough round here without you bleeding adding to it!' 

Spider looked bemused and slightly concerned. 'Sorry J. We ready to do the business then?' 

Jason caught his breath and headed towards the kitchen nodding. Within seconds he had retrieved the bunch of keys from the table and jogged back through the hall, past Spider and upstairs. Spider still had a hint of bemusement littering his features.  

'So what do you want me to do J?' 

Jason was on the landing and called down enthusiastically to his best friend. 'Keep an eye on the time for a start then get yourself up here. We've got about forty minutes.' Spider wasted no time and darted up to join his friend. 'Grant is gonna prank my phone as they are leaving to come back so we'll have just under ten minutes or so to leave things as they were without the old man knowing that we've been rummaging around.' 

'Do you think he'll notice then?'  

Jason grinned. 'You wouldn't believe how meticulous that man can be, trust me. If it's not as it was before we went in there, he'll know, then we're stuffed son.' 

Spider's look of bemusement had dissipated and had formed a look of growing concern. 

'Well technically you'll be the one that's stuffed but I know what you're getting at. Best do a proper job then old boy eh?' Spider gently slapped his friend on the back as Jason acknowledged the sentiment and moved into the realm of his father, both tiptoeing gingerly inside like mythological characters entering the lair of a dangerous monster. Jason fumbled through the bundle of keys as Spider scanned the room. 'So what are you actually expecting to find in that draw?' 

Jason ignored Spider as he located the old bronze key and carefully guided it into the bottom draw's barrel. He held his breath as he slowly turned the key anti-clockwise. A tiny click was heard and Jason looked up to Spider who was hovering once again. 

'We're in.' 

Spider gesticulated impatience with his pointing at the newly opened drawer but his tone was even. 'Well open the bloody thing man, we haven't got all day.' 

Jason's returned look answered that he would comply promptly but his hands had began to waver slightly as he slowly pulled the handle towards him. Spider leant in as far as he dared without landing on top of Jason. He peered inside to be greeted by the top of a black laptop. There was no doubt about it that it was no ordinary laptop. It was a state of the art machine, only several millimetres thick at best. Jason slowly elevated the laptop from the wooden depths with great care and delicacy, mirroring the actions of a tomb raider of old. He gently placed the machine on the top of the table and opened it, heading straight for what he assumed was the power switch. Spider had his hand on his hips as he admired the cutting edge technology before him. 

'Very impressive. I don't think I have ever seen a lappy as flash as this.' His eyes scanned all over the surface for a clue as to its maker without any success. 'That's weird. There isn't even a logo on it. Have you ever known that before?' 

Jason had a look of confusion about him as he stared at the machine whilst Spider examined it. 'No I haven't. Funny thing is though I've seen my dad working at home before but I've never seen him work on this one.' 

'You sure?' 

'Positive. Don't you think I would have noticed the old guy working on this? Look at it. It makes my lappy look like something found on an archaeological dig. No mate, proper weird. Look, it hasn't even got a touchpad on it!' 

Spider had proceeded to tie back his long black shiny hair in anticipation of forthcoming work; the hair he deemed would be a distraction. He refused to pull his gaze away from the screen as a spectacular loading sequence with strange symbols materialised with colours that made Spider float his hand in front of the screen, almost feeling as if the colours and images were projecting further out from the liquid crystal display. As Spider's fingers danced in front of the screen, he realised that they were. 'Jesus son! Did you see that!? Look at it! It's projective 3D! I've never seen a computer do that! Even the keypad is 3D. I'm not being funny J but if this computer was mine, I'd lock it away as well, this thing is amazing.' 

Jason had risen from his crouching position and was standing next to Spider. The loading sequence had finished and the two boys stared at the Rilonn Chemicals company logo. Spider pointed at the ever shifting image. 'Is that the name of your dad's employer?' 

'Yeah.' 

Spider raised an eyebrow. 'Never heard of em.' 

'I bet not many people have mate. I'm betting that the whole company could be a front.' Jason moved out of the way to give Spider more of a chance to work his magic. he was known to be top boy when it came down to all technology. 'Look, hurry up and get into the main screen so we can have a look see.' 

Spider complied but struggled initially to get to grips with the computers strange projective image controls. After several minutes and a few huffs of impatience from Jason, Spider gained access to the laptops files. 

Twenty minutes had elapsed with the two of them scanning over files that really warranted a detailed perusal. Realising this to his immediate frustration, Jason checked his phone then ordered a halt to the proceedings. 

'Look Spi, I think were whizzing against the wind trying to find something here. Lets get a copy of the files then we can have a lengthy look at what's in there.' 

Spider agreed as he examined his watch then turned his attention to the external ports, to which he found none. 

'What's the problem?' Jason questioned. 

Spider held his arms out. 'There's no place to stick anything in to this!' 

'What!? you've got to be joking!? What are we gonna do if we can't download anything? The whole thing would have been a waste of time!' 

Spider held his hand out to halt Jason. He looked at his friend sternly but his voice was oozing enough calm for both of them. 'listen. If you can put data into it then you must be able to get data out. go and get me a memory stick or something ok? fetch me the biggest one you have. You still got that terabyte one that you stole from me?' 

Jason frowned 'Gave me?' 

Spider shook his head 'Yeah that one. Go and get it and i'll figure it out somehow. Go!' 

when Jason returned he saw that Spider looked more at home with the laptops controls. He handed the memory stick to Spider who looked at Jason with an excited expression on his face. 

'Well, by that cheesy grin I take it that you have found a way to download?' 

Spider continued his excited mood with a lopsided grin. 'Ahh sort of, but I don't think you are gonna believe it. Watch.' 

Spider placed the memory stick by the side of the laptop and pressed several controls on the floating pad. A beam of purple light ejected from the machine and engulfed the stick. Within seconds a light pulsed on the stick to confirm a successful union and the download began. Jason watched open mouthed. 'You are joking me. and that's working?' 

Spider nodded as he checked. 'Yeah, it's going in, and quickly. can you believe it?' 

Jason shook his head, stunned at what he was seeing. 'Will that do the trick?' 

'I hope so mate. There is a hell of a lot of information on this thing. Time will tell.' 'Talking of time.' Jason checked his watch and cursed. Spider followed suit as he checked his own watch. Just over thirty minutes gone. Where were they? Spider's eyes drifted around the room once more as he waited for the download to complete. His attention fell upon the three quarter closed bottom drawer and frowned to himself . 'Did you have a look through the rest of that drawer J?' Jason looked at his friend with a blank look. 

'No, I didn't.' 

Spider smiled broadly as his gaunt features were stretched to accommodate. 'Well now would seem like a good time.' He looked yet again at his watch and underlined what Jason already knew. Jason knelt down, opened the draw ever so slightly wider and carefully dipped his hand inside. Spider stared at him, desperate to discover an answer that would reveal itself on Jason's features. After a few agonising moments without a word, Spider could refrain no longer. 'J?' 

Jason looked up. 'Yeah?' 

'You're killing me here son. Is there anything else?' 

Jason looked stunned as he stared at his friend. 'Yes.'  

189

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

390 159 11
He just wanted to see his dead brother one last time. Now he finally gets his chance .... *** The end of the world has arrived. Only several have sur...
6.3K 176 8
History is written by the victors. It's something we've known for years. The classic biblical tale depicts an eternal struggle between gruesome demon...
40.1K 692 45
Danzabelle is a 16 year old girl who has an incredibly complicated family...but don't we all? Her mother is the one and only Mistress of the angel wo...
2.5K 157 33
|7X FEATURED| Daniel Matton wasn't ready for an adventure, not until 3023 sent him into space on a journey to prehistoric times. The prehistoric anim...