What Makes a Monster

By Twoony

Vampires. A phenomenon so rare that there are only three. The first, one so ancient her origins are unknown... More

♱Author Note♱
♱One♱
♱Two♱
♱Three♱
♱Four♱
♱Five♱
♱Six♱
♱Seven♱
♱Eight♱
♱Nine♱
♱Ten♱
♱Eleven♱
♱Twelve♱
♱Thirteen♱
♱Fourteen♱
♱Fifteen♱
♱Sixteen♱
♱Seventeen♱
♱Eighteen♱
♱Nineteen♱
♱Twenty♱
♱Twenty-One♱
♱Twenty-Two♱
♱Twenty-Three♱
♱Twenty-Four♱
♱Twenty-Five♱
♱Twenty-Six♱
♱Twenty-Seven♱
♱Twenty-Eight♱
♱Twenty-Nine♱
♱Thirty♱
♱Thirty-One♱
♱Thirty-Two♱
♱Thirty-Three♱
♱Thirty-Four♱
♱Thirty-Five♱
♱Thirty-Six♱
♱Thirty-Seven♱
♱Thirty-Eight♱
♱Thirty-Nine♱
♱Forty♱
♱Forty-One♱
♱Forty-Two♱
♱Forty-Three♱
♱Forty-Four♱
♱Forty-Five♱
♱Forty-Six♱
♱Forty-Seven♱
♱Forty-Eight♱
♱Forty-Nine♱
♱Fifty♱
♱Fifty-One♱
♱Fifty-Two♱
♱Fifty-Three♱
♱Fifty-Four♱
♱Fifty-Five♱
♱Fifty-Six♱
♱Fifty-Seven♱
♱Fifty-Eight♱
♱Fifty-Nine♱
♱Sixty♱
♱Sixty-One♱
♱Sixty-Two♱
♱Sixty-Three♱
♱Sixty-Four♱
♱Sixty-Five♱
♱Sixty-Seven♱
♱Sixty-Eight♱
♱Sixty-Nine♱
♱Seventy♱
♱Seventy-One♱
♱Seventy-Two♱
♱Seventy-Three♱
♱Seventy-Four♱
♱Seventy-Five♱
♱Seventy-Six♱
♱Seventy-Seven♱
♱Seventy-Eight♱
♱Seventy-Nine♱
♱Eighty♱
♱Eighty-One♱
♱Eighty-Two♱
♱Eighty-Three♱
♱Eighty-Four♱
♱Eighty-Five♱
♱Eighty-Six♱
♱Eighty-Seven♱
♱Eighty-Eight♱
♱End♱
♱Q&A♱
♱Fan Art♱
Merch Shop!

♱Sixty-Six♱

5.3K 515 56
By Twoony

The door shuts softly behind me. I wish my thoughts would mimic it because they are anything but soft. That sly bastard, and by sly bastard I mean adorable dork! What the hell am I meant to say to that?! That's a damn compliment and he knew it and I know it and now I'm blushing like crazy! I know I am. My entire body is on fire.

I take a chance to inspect my appearance in one of the guest bathrooms. Sure enough, my face is so red that I look sunburned. My hair sure as hell doesn't help, only brings out the color more. Splashing cold water on my face, I take a deep breath and say, "You got this, Wallie. You've had dinner with Soran before--"

Which ended when Cathen burst in...don't think about that!

I smack my face a few times. "Calm down. This is just a dinner date. It's nothing. It's fine. Stop freaking out."

But telling myself not to freak out is like forcing myself to freak out even more. By the time the carriage is ready I'm about to fake sick and hide beneath my blankets. I'm not given a chance to do that though seeing as Soran has arrived. He says something to Higra atop the stairs then joins me at the doors, looking as perfect as ever in a tailored navy suit.

"Ready to go?" He asks while I open the door.

"Y-Yeah."

Soran smirks at my stutter. He walks away without a word.

The carriage driver opens the door for us. I'm a little taken aback since that's normally my job. Soran steps in first, leaving me wondering where I'm meant to sit. Across from him? Beside him?

"Wallie," he calls my name like a soft lullaby. I shiver.

"Ah, sorry," I apologize, swiftly hopping in and saying, screw it, as I take a seat next to him. Soran stares, which has me squirming in place.

"S-Should I sit over there?" I'm about to get up and do so until Soran takes my hand.

I freeze in place, staring at the connection between us when Soran answers, "No. Stay here."

A soft touch to my chin has me looking up, meeting Soran's gaze. He's close, almost hesitant in leaning forward. My eyes flutter closed in anticipation, or maybe to hide my obvious embarrassment. I've yet to cool down; the kiss doesn't help, only amplifies it. When Soran's lips meet mine, I lean into him, relishing in the quiet touch. His hand gently holds me and his lips move slow.

The carriage lurches forward. We fall apart, but only for a brief moment. Another kiss, less hesitant than the first. The warm spring air grows humid. My fingers twist into the soft fabric of his jacket. Soran's hand combs through my hair. Our kiss deepens until I'm short of breath, panting against his lips when he pulls away for a breath. This time there's no hesitancy though, only yearning for more. Soran's hand slips around my waist, holding me close while I cling to his jacket.

Afterwards, we're both blushing. I like it, and I like how Soran takes my hand again. He's leaning back now, peering out the window silently. Not that I'm any better, I'm looking over the interior as if I expect to see something new. The silence isn't awkward, instead, it's comforting.

When we pull up to the restaurant, that comfort evaporates.

"I can't go in there," I whisper, peering up at an immaculate light gray brick building. The windows are held in place by twisted iron frames of ivory leaves. Spiral marble columns hold up an arched black awning. The double doors are monstrosities in their own right, narrow and tall with stained glass windows and a ruby carpet leading inside. This is a place for Soran, not me.

"Why not?" he asks.

"Look at it."

Soran looks. The door opens. He turns back to me and says, "I don't see why you can't go in."

"It's too fancy." I pick at my pants as if to prove my point.

"There are private rooms. You need not concern yourself with table manners."

"Are you trying to say I have bad table manners?"

"They could use some work."

My jaw drops. I'm about to give him a good lecture except he's already gone holding out his hand for me. That only brings about another blush that tickles my cheeks. I'm almost tempted not to take his hand, but damn me for being a hopeless romantic because I think it's super sweet and why the hell would I pass up this opportunity?

Regardless of how embarrassed it makes me, I take Soran's hand. To say we're being stared at is an understatement. The doormen lock eyes with me, both so wide-eyed I fear they may roll out of their sockets. But the doors are opened without hesitation to reveal a restaurant fitting of the exterior.

The first floor could rival the king's own castle. The walls are elevated with intricate black iron moldings around blinding silver crystal chandeliers. Couples in fine garbs sit at elegantly crafted tables with ruby table cloths and simple candlelight centerpieces. Servers walk tall with trays of wine and snacks, waiting to attend any at a moment's notice. Right now though, no one is being attended to seeing as Soran always garners the attention of everyone, but I think it's worse now.

We're still holding hands. Everyone is staring. My heart's racing.

Being next to Soran, I suddenly feel so small. He fits in, a man of elegance and grace, of power and beauty that surpasses most (my biased opinion says all, but I digress.) Then there's me, the butler in a typical uniform that can barely read and has never amounted to anything. Of course, that's not what others see. All they see is Soran holding hands with a mortal and that mortal must be crazy or brainwashed, which pisses me off, but also terrifies me.

"Is t-this alright?" I whisper, glancing to our hands to inform him of what I'm referring to.

"Are you uncomfortable?"

"Just--" I look about the room. "Everyone is staring."

Soran says nothing, but that's only because his gaze says enough; with me, you'll have to get used to it.

"Nevermind, I'm fine," I quickly say, holding a little tighter.

Luckily, we follow a server up a spiral staircase to the second floor. At the end of the hall, a heavy black door is opened to reveal the private room. It's not much different than downstairs, only there's an extra sitting area with a couch and a coffee table filled with sweets. After we take our seats and the server leaves to retrieve our drinks, there's silence.

I'm hiding behind the menu that I still cannot read. Why the hell do they write in cursive? I can understand print, but cursive continues to elude me. Is that meant to be a S or a G?

Giving up, I sit the menu aside, pouting until Soran looks over. Seems he caught the look though because he asks, "Having trouble?"

"Don't tease me for not being able to read cursive."

"I would never."

"I can feel you thinking it."

"Oh? What am I thinking then?"

"That I'm stupid."

"I never once thought that."

I'm a bit taken aback. That wasn't teasing; it was honest. I'm starting to wonder if he's flattering me on purpose, maybe even earlier was an accident. He could be secretly smooth, who knows!

"Not even when I admitted that I couldn't read?" I ask as if I expect his answer to change.

He shakes his head, seeming to decide on what we're going to eat seeing as he sits the menu aside.

"I admit to being annoyed. Higra is usually very thorough so I expected to have been informed, however, I am aware not everyone can afford to learn. Besides, there are a great deal of things you know that I do not."

"Like what?"

"I have no idea how to work on a farm tending to fields or animals."

"Yeah, but you know how to run giant corporations."

"Are they more important than farmers?" he asks. "Do farmers not feed the kingdom?"

All this flattery is going to make my heart kick the bucket. His gaze isn't helping either, the warm red of his eyes grow more intoxicating by the day, like the red of dawn, brilliant and warm. Good thing we're sitting because my legs feel like jello.

"You're being abnormally nice today. Did something happen? Are you about to tell me I'm fired or kick me out of the house?" I ask.

"My apologies. I'll make sure to be cruel to you from now on."

"I'm teasing." I lightly tap his leg beneath the table with my foot. "I like it, you being nice."

I'm a little shocked that he returns the gesture. Then the doors open. Our server walks in, pouring us both a drink before taking our orders. When he's gone, silence replaces him so I try to use drinking as an excuse to not talk or come up with something to say. I wonder if Soran is doing the same.

Peering over the glass, I catch him drinking too. When he sits the glass down, he taps the base with a single finger, much like he was doing earlier on his desk. He's staring at the window as if it'll come up with something to say. I end up laughing at our odd but should have definitely seen it coming predicament.

"What's so funny?" he asks, watching me lean forward to shield my face in my hands.

"This is funny."

"This?"

"Us not knowing what to say all of a sudden, being nervous." I chance peeking through my fingers. "It's kinda nice, in an awful sort of way."

"Suppose so."

"In Chandri there weren't any places like this," I say, finally dropping my hands to the table. I play with the ruby tablecloth, feeling the fabric or pinching it between my fingers while thinking of earlier. "A date there was a walk, a drink at the local tavern or swimming in the river. I guess being here makes me uncertain of what to do--ah, but I'm not saying that I don't like it! This is nice too, just different."

"We could do all that," he says, catching me by surprise. "Go for a walk, swim in the lake, a tavern is likely off the table, but we could have a date at home."

"So you're admitting that this is a date?"

"What else would it be?"

"An employer showing his gratitude to his incredibly hardworking employee."

Soran rolls his eyes. "You're as annoying as ever this evening."

"Like I said, an incredibly hardworking...boyfriend."

Soran actually chokes on his drink. I laugh then laugh some more when I catch the faintest dusting of pink under his eyes. He's showing all kinds of great reactions today. I'm starting to feel spoiled.

He clears his throat. "You're always full of surprises."

"Thanks!"

I give a triumphant grin, one that is soon covered up by Soran leaning over the table. He catches my smile with a kiss, running his fingers through my hair. The taste of red wine lingers, but it's certainly not what is making me feel light headed. Then he pulls away, leaving me breathless.

"W-What was that for?" I ask.

"No reason. I just wanted to."

I really like him.

I really like Soran a lot.

♱♱♱

Early update, hi...mostly cause I thought today was Wednesday and posted on Tapas only to realize it's Tuesday. Oops xD But yes, Wallie, we know you like Soran a lot :) And he likes you~ With all the drama lately, we need more fluffy so you're welcome lol Got a few story suggestions for you if you're interest! First one is, if you want a story that'll make you smile and laugh, check out my friend Lena's story, The God of Love is a Deadbeat. You can read it on Tapas or Wattpad :) I left an external link for Tapas so check it out!

Second is, I HAVE A NEW STORY! That's right, check out Fools in Love if you want a college romantic comedy. It is going to be ridiculous, if you can't already tell by the cover lol check it out!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

271 113 30
Mei's life wasn't the best, but it was passable. After spending 2 years as a vampire, she believed the girl was getting a hand on the experience. Her...
29 1 10
The woman begged, but the king did not listen to her and laughed at the woman, telling her she was a crazy witch. The woman got angry and said that s...
10 0 8
Andre always lived a pretty mediocre life, choosing to stay in his own lane and be as unoffensive as possible. That is, until he is asked to work the...
115 19 19
Book One of the Saccharine in Nightmares Series Are you naturally Awakened? Someone who has always known deep in their soul there's another existence...