Percy Jackson One Shots and S...

By unsureavenger

Short stories, in no particular order, of the beloved characters from the universe of Percy Jackson and the H... More

Percy Jackson: One-Shots & Short Stories
#1 - A Study Session Gone Awry
#2 - Your Secret Admirer
#3 - Beach Surprise
#4 - The Blackout (Part I)
#5 - The Blackout (Part II)
#6 - The Dreaded Day
#7 - Let's Go Camping! (Part I)
#8 - Let's Go Camping! (Part II)
#9 - Game Night
#10 - Flash From the Past
#11 - Montauk
#12 - The Accident
#13 - The Proposal
#14 - A Fateful Football Game
#15 - Lost Campers
#16 - The Blofis Wedding
#17 - Stalemate
#18 - Gold and White
#19 - Housewarming
#20 - Mistletoe (Part I)
#21 - Mistletoe (Part II)
#22 - New Year's Eve
#23 - Cheeseburgers and Fries
#24 - By the Beach
#25 - End of the Line (AU)
#26 - The Mission
#27 - Out of Touch
#28 - Nico the Babysitter
#29 - Night Out
#30 - A "Safe", "Calm" College Frat Party
#31 - Something Special (AU)
#32 - The College of New Rome
#33 - The Makeover
#34 - The Hot Lifeguard
#35 - Thanksgiving
#36 - Talent Searcher
#37 - A Goode Surprise
#38 - Acceptance Letters
#39 - Break My Heart Again (AU)
#40 - Ask Me, I Dare You
#41 - She's With Me
#42 - Don't Call Me Angel
#43 - The City of London
#44 - Just Be Here (AU)
#45 - Rule Number Four (AU) (Part I)
#46 - Rule Number Four (AU) (Part II)
#47 - Annabeth's Work Trip
#48 - Just Stay
#49 - The Library Book (AU)
#50 - Fake It Till You Make It (AU) (Part I)
#51 - Fake It Till You Make It (AU) (Part II)
#52 - Fake It Till You Make It (AU) (Part III)
#53 - Stuck With U (Part I)
#54 - Stuck With U (Part II)
#55 - Territory (Part I)
#56 - Territory (Part II)
#57 - Territory (Part III)
#58 - Territory (Part IV)
#60 - The Avengers (AU) (Part I)
#61 - The Avengers (AU) (Part II)
#62 - The Avengers (AU) (Part III)
#63 - The Avengers (AU) (Part IV)
#64 - The Avengers (AU) (Part V)
#65 - The Avengers (AU) (Part VI)
#66 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part I)
#67 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part II)
#68 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part III)
#69 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part IV)
#70 - Lieutenant Chase (AU) (Part V)
#71 - Parrot It Back
#72 - On What Grounds? Coffee. (AU)
#73 - What Happened After Happily Ever After (AU)
#74 - The Lonely Hearts Club (AU)
#75 - Oh, How The Turn Tables (AU)
#76 - Etched on Skin (AU) (Part I)
#77 - Etched On Skin (AU) (Part II)
#78 - Etched On Skin (AU) (Part III)
#79 - Etched on Skin (AU) ( Part IV)
#80 - Etched on Skin (AU) (Bonus)

#59 - Territory (Part V)

2K 73 231
By unsureavenger

Chapter 58 - Territory (Part V)
published: Monday, 22 June 2020

Hurtling through darkness was much more terrifying when Annabeth didn't know where exactly they were going. With Nico, she trusted the son of Hades to shadowtravel them.

With Janus, well, Annabeth trusted the god about as far as she could throw him. For all she knew, he could've sent them spiralling back into Tartarus.

The ground slammed against Annabeth's heels with a painful, sharp impact, sending bolts of pain shooting up her legs. She wobbled upon landing, grabbing Fay so the younger girl wouldn't fall.

"Oh my Gods," she murmured under her breath, watching the chaos unfold all around them.

The battle had clearly already escalated for some time. There were demigods and monsters clashing in every direction that Annabeth looked. Broken bodies littered the ground, and Annabeth didn't want to see which were dead and which were not.

"Fay," Annabeth told the girl urgently. "Go find the other younger campers."

"I can help," Fay protested.

"Annabeth's right," Percy said worriedly. "You've been through enough." When Fay didn't budge, Percy sighed and knelt down. "Hey, I know what it feels like to want to jump into battle. But the best thing you can do is help protect the youngest campers and those who are injured. Can you do that for me? For Annabeth?"

Annabeth gaped, impressed, as Fay nodded slowly before she turned her back and scampered off.

"You'll have to teach me that," Annabeth marvelled.

Percy replied with a grin, thought it didn't reach his eyes. The tension in the air was palpable — a completely different type of tension now. He was worried about their friends and the fate of the camp.

"Hey, we made it out of the Labyrinth," Annabeth said, still disbelieving at her own words. "We can beat some monsters." Annabeth flicked out her whip into a staff as Percy drew Riptide. He nodded in reply, and the two of them sprang into action.

Annabeth had to admit that the one thing she would always be able to rely on with Percy was how well they fought together. Even when they'd been arguing day and night, fighting always came naturally to both of them.

Annabeth knew Percy better than he knew himself, and they always worked their way across the battlefield smoothly. Over the years, they'd swiftly moved through changeable forms and attack methods.

When Percy had the Achilles curse, Annabeth had been his entire defence. After it was washed away by the Tiber, he constantly forgot to cover his open side, and Annabeth found herself repeatedly jumping in to make sure he didn't get skewered.

Now, two years later, Percy had fallen into a different rhythm — sort of a combination of both his styles of fighting. Annabeth buffeted one of the monsters with her powers towards Percy, who promptly impaled it.

"I hope we find the Queen first," Annabeth said darkly. "She's not getting away this time." She ripped the heads off of three dracanae before knocking another onto the ground and spearing it through the chest.

"You're pretty scary with that," Percy informed her, waving unintelligibly at her whip. Annabeth replied with a wild grin.

Once they had cleared their area, Annabeth spotted a couple of monsters having peeled off from the main group and were hurling rocks at the Big House, breaking holes into the wooden planks.

Percy released a yell he slammed Riptide into the ground, the resulting tremor sending the dracanae wobbling. Before they could escape, Annabeth pounced, slashing her way through them without much effort. The ends of her staff sliced through them like a knife in butter.

"There!" Annabeth pointed towards the flash of green betraying the Queen's disappearance into the training arena. She didn't know who had let the Queen inside the camp borders, but Annabeth didn't want to know who the monster had threatened.

As they raced into the Arena, blocking the only entrance and exit, Annabeth brandished her whip menacingly, approaching the Queen.

"It was pretty stupid of you to return," Annabeth practically snarled. "Don't think I won't hesitate to send you back to hell."

The Queen sneered. "You're getting cocky, Annabeth Chassssse. And you're sssssssuppossssed to be the ssssmart one."

Percy warning shout alerted her to the whirring of machines as training dummies powered up and started circling the demigods.

Damn it.

"Defend the entrance!" Annabeth yelled as she bounded forward, attacking the dummies before they could get the jump on her. "Don't let her escape!"

Annabeth climbed the first training dummy with ease, flipping off it and landing squarely on her feet. When her toes hit the ground, Annabeth spread her hands, a telekinetic blast spreading the dummies out.

The Queen was wide-eyed, and Annabeth allowed herself a moment of smug satisfaction before she stabbed another dummy.

"There issssss more than one way out of here, demigod," the Queen hissed before she turned her back on Annabeth her tentacles sliding across the ground as she speedily headed for the arena bleachers.

Annabeth watched in mixed awe and dread as the Queen flipped like an acrobat into the stands, scampering up the seats as gracefully as a trapeze artist. The snake woman flung herself over the wall of the arena, disappearing as she dropped down on the ground outside.

Groaning internally, Annabeth nodded when Percy looked at her questioningly. As Percy raced out of the arena, Annabeth readied her own weapon and turned warily to face the six training dummies.

Come on, this is what you train for.

Annabeth parried three blades, sweeping her left leg across to kick one of the dummies. The robot flew across the arena, clattering as it rolled aimlessly on the ground.

Her staff loosened into a whip, and Annabeth proceeded to slash the thick metal rope across the dummies near her, almost cutting them to rags.

Annabeth narrowly dodged one of the remaining dummies' attacks before she speared it through the chest, using the other end of the staff to impale the dummy behind her.

She wrenched her blade out of both dummies, panting as she backed away from the destroyed robots and continued in the direction she'd last seen Percy.

Her heart sped up when Annabeth spotted the conflict raging between Percy and the Queen in the centre of the cabins.

The Hecate cabin lay in shambles, the roof having caved in and the windows shattered.

A storm to rival Zeus swirled around Percy, the rain pelting on the area as he stood protectively   in front of the Hermes cabin.

The Hermes cabin was the safe house for younger or disabled campers in the case of a battle. Names ran through Annabeth's mind — Fay, Phillip—

She shook her head. No, she had to focus.

Annabeth had to use extra strength to propel herself past Percy's winds. When she was in the middle of the fight, Annabeth joined his side, helping to beat the Queen back.

Percy's winds roared in Annabeth's ear as her whip curled around the Queen's ankle and Annabeth promptly threw her away.

The Queen landed beside Hestia's hearth, frantically beating out the flames on the sleeve of her dress.

"You think you can beat me?" the Queen screeched. "I am a superior monster!" Too late, Annabeth realised what the Queen was about to do a second before the monster picked up a log from the hearth and hurled it at the cabin behind them.

Annabeth watched in horror as the wooden Hermes cabin caught fire with ease, the flames licking away at the planks.

Screams could be heard from inside as the children and the vulnerable streamed outside, gathering in a circle behind them.

Annabeth recognised Fay and Phillip among the demigods, who had a total of about 20. Instinctively, Annabeth stepped in front of them, glaring daggers at the Queen.

"You can't hurt them," Annabeth yelled over the storm. "They're under our protection. You'll have to go through us."

"You underestimate me!" the Queen's eyes glinted maniacally. Her pupils narrowed into slits. "You, boy! I recognise you as one of my previous guests!"

Annabeth glanced back to see Phillip freeze up when the Queen pointed at him.

"Come here, my boy," the Queen's voice grew sickly sweet, almost musical. "Come to me." The lilting tone was so soft, so soothing—

"Charmspeak," Percy choked, and Annabeth shook the haze off of her mind. "I thought empousai were the only ones—"

"Come here, my child," the Queen purred, and to Annabeth's horror, Phillip took a dazed step forward.

Annabeth started running. "No, Phillip!" she shouted.

"Freeze!" the Queen ordered sharply, and Annabeth did just that. Her feet slowed to a stumbling halt, and it was like Annabeth couldn't move. "The rest of you! Don't move!"

She wanted to so desperately — Phillip — but she couldn't move. "Phillip!" Annabeth managed as she tirelessly fought off the effects of the Queen's charmspeak.

Percy was in a similar state, taking wracking gasps as he moved sluggishly, far too slow to stop the younger boy from blindly walking towards the enemy.

"Phillip, stop it!" Fay's cry of dismay pierced the air. "Stop it!" she shrieked. "Stop it!"

For a heart-stopping moment, Phillip faltered, trembling as he froze in his spot. "Fay," Annabeth heard him murmur. Annabeth stared at him in astonishment for a moment — how had he—

Alarm bells went off in Annabeth's head when saw the Queen pull an arm back, her spear in the air, aimed directly for the unsuspecting demigod—

Annabeth cried out as the monster let the spear fly like a javelin, the blade streaking through the air. A moment too late, Annabeth roughly yanked her feet from the glue holding her down and staggered forward.

No, she wouldn't reach him in time — the bade —

But someone else got there first. Fay had torn herself from her previous position and was hurtling past Annabeth in a blur of orange, barrelling right for Phillip.

Then the sickening squelch of metal piercing flesh as Fay shoved Phillip out of the way, the spear impaling straight through the gut before she collapsed to her knees, blood staining her shirt.

Annabeth's world shook. "No!" the cry tore from her throat as Annabeth blazed past the fallen demigod.

Red tinged her vision. Fury bubbled in her veins.

The Queen was fast but Annabeth was faster.

She slashed her whip at the dracanae's throat, the metal slicing clean through the Queen's neck. Green blood splattered across the ground before Annabeth, and the Queen gurgled for a moment, her hands coming up to grasp her throat as her eyes widened—

And then the dracanae's body burst into bronze dust, her head rolling onto the ground like a sick imitation of Medusa.

The staff fell out of Annabeth's hand as she stumbled backwards, spinning around with growing dread to see Fay on the ground, propped up against Percy as Phillip sat by her side.

"No, no, no," Annabeth murmured, refusing to believe that this was happening, because, no—Fay couldn't be—

Dark, red blood spilled from her lips, drawing a line from her chin to the neck of her orange Camp Half-Blood t-shirt.

"Fay, why?" Phillip was sobbing, tears streaking his face as he tenderly held the hand of his best friend. "Why did you—"

Fay's fingers twitched weakly — her hand curled around his. "You know why," she croaked. "I like you, dummy. You're my best friend. I wish I—" Fay broke up off with a shaky couch. "I wish I—"

"I l-like you too," Phillip's lip trembled as he made a visible effort to suppress his cries. "Of course, who-who wouldn't? You're my best friend too, Fay. You're brave, and strong, and sweet, and-and—"

Phillip's voice cut off abruptly into a sob, his head bowing down as his tears dripped onto Fay's shirt.

Fay's dark eyes had gone glassy, a vacant expression settling over her face as her hand went slack in Phillip's grip.

Annabeth swallowed down a cry.

Fay was dead.

Annabeth sat there numbly for what felt like an eternity. All she could do was stare at the broken form of a little girl — not even a teenager — who she'd gone through hell to save, and who, in the end, died anyway.

Her gaze flickered to Phillip, and a bubble of sympathy exploded in her chest. Phillip had just lost his best friend and his first crush. Annabeth knew that it would take a long time to stop hurting.

When Luke died, even though she didn't like him anymore, it was like her heart had cleaved into two. Yet she knew he was doing the right thing, a small comfort for her.

But Fay had been snatched away so unfairly.

Annabeth tilted her head up slowly, meeting Percy's eye. His face was pale and his eyes were anguished, but he still raised a trembling hand and closed Fay's eyes for the last time.

She heard him mumble a quiet prayer in Ancient Greek.

Αντίο, ήρωα. Χορός στα πεδία του Elysium.

Goodbye, hero. Dance in the Fields of Elysium.

Thalia had taught them that prayer. It was one of the things she said to the Hunters.

You will be in Elysium, Annabeth said silently. She could picture all her fallen friends welcoming Fay with open arms. And you'll be in good hands.

The three of them didn't move until Chiron trotted up, face grim as he took in the sight. Something about his eyes told Annabeth that Fay wasn't the only one they had lost tonight.

<<< >>>

"Hey." The gentle voice was a familiar comfort Annabeth was grateful for. "Can I come in?"

Annabeth offered Percy a half-hearted smile as he stepped inside, looking around the Athena cabin.

"I don't think I'll ever come in here without being afraid that your mother's going to smite me," Percy said absently, his eyes flickering nervously.

Annabeth felt the corner of her mouth twitch up. Her mother had a reputation for despising Percy, although more recently, when Annabeth was up in Olympus for some architecture meetings, Athena had mentioned some sort of disappointment over their break-up.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Percy asked suddenly.

Annabeth exhaled deeply. The burning of the shrouds had taken place last night. It had been two days since the battle, and the campers were recovering from heavy losses.

Six demigods had died.

Among them, Fay and Kayleigh. Annabeth hadn't known the Harlan's girlfriend that well, but any death was regrettable.

Confronting Harlan had quickly become inevitable. Annabeth knew she had to do it.

"No, it's okay," Annabeth sighed. "This is...this is something I have to do on my own." It wasn't a such a heavy responsibility anymore, but a duty she gladly took on.

Camp Half-Blood was her home, and she would protect and lead it at all costs. And she took pride in the choice she'd made.

Later, when the sun was going down and the colourful sunset started to prevail, Annabeth knocked on the door to the Nike cabin.

The door swung open to reveal Harlan inside by himself. His eyes were ringed with red and he looked more quiet than Annabeth had ever seen him.

"I need to talk to you," Annabeth said, equally tired.

Harlan just gestured for her to enter silently.

When she looked at him, Annabeth found that she couldn't bring up all that rage that she previously had to shout at him and hurl accusations. They had both lost someone in the most recent battle.

"Your greed and your lust for power cost us so much," Annabeth said coolly, clenching a fist as she tried to keep her composure. "Your hate for Percy almost got him killed. And your need for revenge — it got Fay and Kayleigh killed."

"You don't think I know that?" Harlan's voice sounded so depressed, so broken that it pained her. "You don't understand what it was like."

His face scrunched up agonisingly. "Being alone. Completely. You had friends — you had Luke, Percy, Silena, Charlie. I had nobody. I resented the demigods, all of you, for making my life a living hell. For talking about home and friendship and unity when all I'd ever experienced was them turning their backs on me."

"I just—" Harlan clenched his jaw. "I wanted to take something back from them for what they did to me." He swallowed. "But it went too far. I didn't even see what I was doing until it was over. Revenge becomes meaningless when one of your best friends dies."

"It's not too late, you know," Annabeth said gently. "You don't have to be the villain forever."

Harlan winced. "I doubt that. I made everyone miserable. One way or another, I caused the battle with the dracanae. Camp Half-Blood won't be my home anymore — it can't."

"So I'm leaving," Harlan said simply. Annabeth's eyes widened, and that was when she finally noticed the emptiness of his bed and the duffel bag on top of the duvet. "I'm a son of Nike — I can handle myself out there. I don't have to take that kind of hate anymore, and I don't have to try hard to fit it or to get revenge anymore. I can have a new start elsewhere."

"Maybe Camp Jupiter," Annabeth suggested.

Harlan didn't look very impressed. "Maybe," he allowed.

"There is one more thing you should do before you go," Annabeth said quietly.

Harlan arched an eyebrow.

"Abolish your position," Annabeth said firmly. "It's too much power for one person to hold. Return equal balance to all the counsellors. If an absolute, final decision is needed, Chiron can make it. No one should be able to take advantage of the position to hurt anyone else."

Harlan pursed his lips, and Annabeth could almost see the musings running through his mind.

"That's all I wanted to say." Annabeth twiddled with the hem of her t-shirt, hesitant as she reached the door. "Good luck out there, Harlan." She threw one last glance back at the boy who had had so much taken from him, and who had taken so much from the world, before she turned her back and continued down the path.

<<< >>>

The counsellor's meeting was bustling once again. Annabeth had grinned at the re-return of the ping pong table.

It was one of her favourite things about camp; they were stronger than anyone would ever expect. The losses they suffered never made them lose hope, and they moved on together.

Harlan's sudden departure had taken the campers by surprise, and left a position empty. Chiron had called today's meeting to make a final decision on that. Annabeth hoped that Harlan had taken her advice.

"So, as you're all probably expecting, we're here today to make a decision regarding the position of Council Head," Chiron declared.

Annabeth felt Percy glance at her — he knew that Annabeth gone to speak to Harlan, but she hadn't had the opportunity to tell him about the details of their conversation yet.

"Harlan has resigned from his position," Chiron announced. "And as his last act in power, he yielded Head of the Council to Annabeth."

Annabeth choked on her breath, eyes widening. "What?" her voice was soaked with astonishment. "Me?"

For a moment, she blindly wondered if there was another Annabeth.

"Harlan hated me," she snorted. "Are you sure you heard him right?"

Chiron had an amused expression on his timeless face. "A hundred percent." Annabeth caught the swell of pride in her mentor's face.

Annabeth fumbled for words to answer, her eyes darting around the room. Piper looked at her encouragingly — Nico looked like he had expect this anyway — Clarisse wore a knowing smirk—

Her gaze landed on Percy. Anticipation had seized his features, but there was also something else. An expression Annabeth didn't often see on Percy — thoughtfulness. Percy was usually the one to act first and think later.

But he looked at her now, and Annabeth remembered what she'd told him down in the Labyrinth. The pressure she felt to be who everyone thought she was. 

But this pressure, you don't have to crack under it. You're Annabeth Chase.

"No," the word tumbled from her lips before she even comprehended what she was saying. Confused murmurs spread across the room, Chiron's brow drawing together in bewilderment.

"Don't get me wrong," Annabeth delved on. "I'm honoured — I really am. But I can't take on that kind of responsibility." She knew that she'd be a much better leader if not all the weight was on her shoulders. Annabeth didn't want to turn into anything like Harlan.

"No one should. It's risky," she continued. "That much power — it's tempting for everyone. I know myself, I know my fatal flaw, and I know that I would be much better as an unofficial leader."

Finding the right balance. That was what she was doing.

Janus had given Annabeth two vastly different choices. He made it seem like to choose the demigods, she had to give up being normal. And to live like a mortal, she would have to give up everything she loved about herself.

Well, screw the gods.

"And I would say that I strongly advise that the position is abolished," Annabeth finished. "It hasn't done us any good since its creation. The panel of counsellors has always worked for us — everyone having an equal say."

Her lips quirked up into a smile. "The Romans might be able to answer to two praetors, but we're the Greeks. We do things differently, and I love that about us."

Annabeth waited with bated breath as agreeable chatter crossed the arena. Angling her head towards a certain son of Poseidon, Annabeth couldn't help but roll her eyes when Percy shot her a goofy thumbs-up sign and a lopsided grin.

Oh, that grin was going to be the death of her.

Of course, they discussed. Counsellor meetings usually bored her, but Annabeth found that it wasn't so bad today. She was starting to appreciate things going back to normal.

Chiron eventually reached the decision that Annabeth was right — to which Percy had added, "Was anyone surprised?" — and promptly abolished the position.

It gave Annabeth great relief that the camp would be in good hands once she returned to her mortal life. Though she was definitely planning on making frequent visits to make sure nothing like that ever happened again. Not on her watch.

As everyone filed out of the arena, chattering and laughing, Annabeth realised with a start that it was the 4th of July. She released a sigh of disbelief; so much had happened in the last week that she couldn't believe that this was supposed to her the highlight of her trip.

The giant yolk that was the sun was starting to set, and the Stolls began ushering everyone down onto the beach.

The annual camp fireworks were about to start.

"Marshmallows à la Leo," the son of Hephaestus declared as he handed out speared, slightly burnt marshmallows out to everyone. "We love America!"

"I'm Italian," Nico informed him, and was promptly swatted away by threat of fire.

The atmosphere was charged with excitement and friendliness, and Annabeth could finally relax. Smiles were contagious, and they even coached a begrudging one from Nico by the time night started to fall.

"It's back to normal," Piper moaned happily. The 15 of them were spread out on the beach, Katie content with building sandcastles with Chris.

The Stolls, as usual, were off organising the fireworks, and Annabeth wondered what the fireworks would be like this year.

"No more Hercules," Rachel said immediately to that with a groan. "I'm sick of him."

"He's a classic!" Leo protested. He winced. "Even though he was kind of a dick."

"No, no, no," Nico declared. "You're all wrong. It's got to be Achilles this year."

"Also a dick, by the way," Percy added. "He was so depressing."

"He was a ghost!" Nico said defensively. "Of course, he was depressing!"

"You know he was supposedly gay," Annabeth commented nonchalantly.

All her friends turned to her with stunned expressions.

"Really?" Grover asked, astounded.

Annabeth rolled her eyes exasperatedly. "Come on! Have none of you ever read a book?"

When the others seemed to get over that not-so-crazy idea, Annabeth realised that a certain daughter of Ares was missing.

"Where's Clarisse?" Annabeth wondered aloud, glancing around.

Percy scanned the beach. "No idea. She's usually off teasing the new couples by now."

Annabeth caught Grover and Nico exchange knowing looks. "You guys are onto something," she said accusatorially. "What've you done now?"

Grover plastered on an innocent face. "Nothing."

"No, no, that's his 'I'm guilty' face." Percy pointed at him dramatically.

"Oh, look," Will said suddenly. "The fireworks is starting."

Annabeth's mouth dropped open as she swivelled her head round, looking at the hooded expressions of her friends. "You're all in on this!" she gasped. "What is it?"

"The fireworks," Leo emphasised, nudging her. "Come on, let's get closer to the water."

Percy, who was sitting on her right, gave her a worried look, but obliged anyway. He stood up, offering her a hand which Annabeth took, flushing when she felt the eager stares of her friends.

"This isn't over," she told them sternly before Percy dragged her down the beach, sand spraying everywhere.

They stumbled to a halt, Annabeth laughing uncontrollably as Percy yanked her back before she could fall into the water from the momentum.

"Look!"

Annabeth followed Percy's gaze to see the first scene of the fireworks burst across the night sky.

She squinted to make out the figures as they moved, the sparks fired into the air in procession.

"What..." Annabeth's voice trailed off as she made out the image of a zebra in the background, a wooden floor, and two people huddled on the ground together.

The yellow sparks of golden hair and the mop of black hair —

"Oh my gods," Percy choked out a laugh first. "Oh my gods, that's—that's—"

Percy looked down at her, the fireworks bursting in the sky reflected in his eyes as he gazed at her like she was the only person in the world. The moonlight lit up his features, his wild grin — gods, that grin again — and his flushed cheeks.

"That's us," Annabeth breathed, shaking her head as a smile spread from ear to ear. "Kindness International."

It was the animal truck from their quest for Zeus' lightning bolt — the first time she and Percy had ever really talked to one another. Up to that, they'd pretty much just argued and shot insults back and forth.

Annabeth remembered every detail vividly; how it was far too easy to tell this strange boy about her nightmares and her dreams, and how she felt like she had a family for the first time in forever.

"That's what they were ganging up on us for," Annabeth realised with a start, and when she turned her head, she saw their friends standing a few metres away, grinning satisfactorily as they stared at the fireworks display.

Annabeth shifted her gaze back to the moving images, and the surprised shouts from the smokers had started to fade as the scene dissipated.

"Oh gods," Annabeth's hand flew to her mouth as the next burst of fireworks illuminated Long Island Sound.

They were on Circe's island, Annabeth lying unconscious as Percy placed the Golden Fleece around her neck.

"I can't believe they did this," Percy said in disbelief, but he didn't sound very irritated by it.

Annabeth grinned. "I can't believe they didn't use a scene of you as a guinea pig." When he turned an accusing glare on her, Annabeth just shrugged innocently. "You made an adorable guinea pig."

"Should I make the change permanent?" Percy chuckled. "Eat celery for the rest of my days."

"Ah, no," Annabeth said lightly. "I'd miss you too much." The fireworks blinded her, but not as much as the beaming smile that stretched across Percy's face.

Butterflies were going crazy in her stomach, and all Annabeth could do was stare at the mesmerising display.

She should've been suspicious. Her friends hadn't given her any grief about her and Percy — of course, they'd been planning this the entire time.

The third scene emerged, dark red embers imitating an explosion in the background, as two best friends sat behind a rock, moving together into a kiss.

Annabeth went as red as the fireworks.

"I can sense emotions!" she heard Grover's faraway bleat. "Never forget that!"

Annabeth buried her scarlet cheeks in her hands, unable to stop laughing even as she did so. "Oh my gods, I can't believe the entire camp is watching this right now."

If possible, Percy was blushing even more than she was.

Before she could back down, Annabeth added, "It was a good first kiss."

Percy looked more dazed than anything else. "Easy for you to say. I could've spent the entire day standing there trying to remember my name."

Gods, Annabeth had thought he'd died after that. And as she had stood up to burn his shroud and give his eulogy, Annabeth had been glad that she'd at least kissed him first.

Percy hesitantly slung an arm across her shoulders, and Annabeth could've died there and then knowing that everything in her life was right again.

Annabeth snuggled into his side, smiling giddily when she caught him freeze up with panic. It helped that he was just as nervous as she was.

"Is that you taking the poisonous knife for me?" Percy broke her out of her thoughts, gesturing to the scene.

Annabeth could picture it in her head, and she nodded. "Yeah."

"Did I ever thank you properly for that?" Percy mused.

"Well, you did show me the one spot on your body that could kill you," Annabeth laughed. "I'd think so, yes."

"Wrong," Percy corrected. "I'll never be able to thank you enough for that."

"Imagine if you'd died then," Annabeth murmured. "Owing me so many favours."

Percy laughed, his face scrunching up in that adorable way that Annabeth loved. "A right nightmare."

The next scene took Annabeth by surprise — she'd expected a certain other image. It was their reunion kiss upon the Argo II landing in New Rome.

Annabeth remembered how stressed she'd been that day. Anxious to see Percy again and yet still worried about how the separation would hit them. It was crazy to think about
how much they'd grown up between the Titan and Giant wars. They were less than a year apart, and yet, Annabeth could've sworn that they became completely different people.

"You judo-flipped me," Percy thought aloud. "It hurt."

Annabeth bit her lip. "Good." Her voice trembled, and Percy looked down at her concernedly.

"Are you okay?"

Annabeth swallowed as Percy's arm slid off of her shoulder. "Percy," she broke off, unsure of what to say.

It was Percy. There was so much history there. So much tension. So many things she should've done, should've said.

"I'll start," Percy offered, earning a weak, bubbling laugh from her. "Okay, um, I didn't think this was how my 4th of July was going to go."

"I thought I'd end up watching the fireworks alone, wishing that I had never left you in the first place," he confessed. His eyebrows suddenly shot skyward. "Oh, wow."

Annabeth's attention snapped back to the fireworks, which had caught his eye.

It was Percy, dangling off of the edge of a cliff, Annabeth hanging on for dear life as Tartarus loomed below them.

For the first time, Annabeth didn't feel that jolt of fear that never failed to seize her. "It doesn't scare me anymore," she said suddenly. "It-it doesn't—"

Annabeth glanced up at Percy, his face cast in the dark, red glow. "Because now that's one of the moments where I knew that I loved you," she finished, her voice unwavering, even though her heart was beating faster than she'd ever experienced. "I knew that I would love you forever."

"I'm sorry," the words tumbled out like a stream, but Annabeth couldn't stop yet — there was so, so much she had to tell him. "I'm so sorry," she inhaled with a shuddering gasp. "For everything."

"For what?" Percy said helplessly, looking down forlornly at his hands. "It took two people to break up this relationship."

Annabeth squeezed her eyes shut.

"I love you," Percy's voice just brushed above a whisper, and Annabeth was ready to melt. Her eyelids fluttered open to see him gazing at her with so much admiration that it hurt. "I love you so much that it hurts sometimes."

"I'm scared, Percy," Annabeth whispered, feeling her eyes prick with tears. She blinked them back. "I'm scared that if I let myself care for you too much, it'll hurt so bad if anything ever happens to you."

"You don't have to be scared anymore," Percy pleaded. "It's worth the risk. You and me."

"I'm gonna mess it up." Annabeth shook her head. "I'm gonna ruin it, and you'll never want to speak to me ever again—"

"That's a lie," Percy interjected emphatically. Tentatively, he reached up and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "My heart shattered when we broke up, and the first thing I do when I see you again is gravitate back to you. I'll always be here for you, Annabeth. That's a promise I can make."

"I love you," Annabeth whispered. "More than I could have ever imagined was possible. More than anyone loves anyone."

"I highly doubt that," Percy murmured. "I think there's one person who can contest that." The corner of his mouth quirked up. "Namely, me."

All of a sudden, cheers erupted from the campers on the beach, deafening applause and whoops filling the air.

Annabeth's eyes drifted once more to the fireworks display. It had changed again.

"Look," she said with a choked laugh. "Look, Percy."

The scene played by the fireworks was Percy and Annabeth kissing underwater, surrounded by a large bubble of air, seaweed shrouding the sea bed as they embraced passionately.

Percy was laughing. "That really was the best birthday present—"

His smile, his laugh, the light dancing in his eyes; it was all too much.

Annabeth hooked her fingers into the front of his shirt and pulled him in, smashing her lips against his.

A groan escaped her when they finally kissed, and Percy didn't take long to react. Once he got over his initial shock, his hands were on her waist, crushing her into him as she threaded her hands in his hair.

Annabeth felt him grin against her mouth, and for a moment, she couldn't believe this was happening — they were kissing on the beach under the fireworks — and she was too feverish to even think straight—

"Well, it's about time!" a voice declared.

Annabeth withdrew, laughing as she saw Clarisse standing further up the beach with her arms crossed and a manic grin on her face.

Déjà vu rippled through Annabeth as the rest of the campers surged forward, hoisting them onto their shoulders amidst helpless laughs and shouts.

"The lovebirds need to cool off!" Connor yelled gleefully.

A resounding cheer was the only warning Annabeth got before she was carried down the beach.

Percy grappled for her hand, and when she looked over, his eyes sparkled in a way that made her want to start kissing him and never stop.

Annabeth's face was burning, but she was laughing too, gripping Percy's hand tight right until they were dumped into the water, sinking into the blue waves as the dying embers from the fireworks pelted into the sea.

There was a flurry of bubbles as Annabeth plunged into the water, and when the bubbles faded, she was looking at Percy, floating opposite her inside their air bubble.

"They're probably waiting for us to come up," Annabeth heard herself say, even as Percy grabbed her hand and pulled her closer, the water leeching from her clothes and hair in an instant.

"Hey," Percy said with a mischievous grin. "When you're the son of Poseidon, you don't have to hurry."

Annabeth clasped her hands behind his neck as he leaned in. The 4th of July display might've been over, but fireworks continued to explode in Annabeth's head.

And it was pretty much the best underwater kiss of all time.

—*—

okay...confession: I absolutely loved writing this! I think it's the longest story arc I've ever written that wasn't it's own book — honestly 30,000 words was crazy, I so didn't mean for that to happen, oops!

It was really enjoyable to write Annabeth and Percy being broken up but still teaming up together. I got way, way, way too attached to Fay, and I'll admit that I did have to pause when I eventually came to writing her death — she and Phillip remind me too much of Percy and Annabeth.

I think writing Harlan and Stephen were the most difficult, because I had to try really hard to make them three-dimensional characters, you know? I didn't have time to develop Kayleigh and Jennifer more, unfortunately.

There aren't many of my one-shots which have Grover, Camp Half-Blood, and all around nice Greek feels to it, so I thought I'd do this, a little more serious with PJO-style writing.

Annabeth and Percy's kiss at the end, while obviously inevitable, brought back so much nostalgia — was that just me? I loved every second of it, especially the others ganging up on them!

Anyways, I love you guys, thank you for suffering through five weeks to read this entire arc (even though I wrote all five chapters in two days) and I hope you liked it!

Stay safe, everyone!

P.S. Because I'm feeling a little mean, here's a sneak peak into next week's chapter (and the subsequent arc which will probably be just as long as 'Territory'). I like the premise, and I hope you do too!

Synopsis: In a universe where our favourite demigods are the Avengers, billionaire Percy Jackson doesn't exactly invite his new team of superheroes to move into his tower and become his family — but they do it anyway.

List of Demigods as Avengers: (sneak peak)
Captain America/Steve Rogers: Annabeth
Iron Man/Tony Stark: Percy
Thor: Jason
Hulk/Bruce Banner: Leo
(and many more to be seen!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.7K 801 33
The title says it all. Just a collection of a couple of stories I thought up. Possibility of percabeth-meets. This is my first book ever. So, sorry i...
786K 10K 33
Hey, it's Percy again. I know what you're thinking: 'not another prophecy!' but luckily for you, this isn't about another quest. It's about mortals...
2.2K 70 37
A few years after the war with Gaea, the demigods face another series of problems. A new wave of maleficence headed by someone only known as the "Mad...
290K 4K 32
[COMPLETED] 『M.M.D』 Stands For Mortals Meet Demigods. • Why don't you start reading it? Open the book! Whaat- No I'm not kidnapping you, Gods, your m...