It Began With a Smirk

By JadedRein

When Rein decided to make the move from Connecticut where she'd been living with her marine father to join he... More

1: Welcome Home
2: By the Way
3: Make an Impression
4: Settling In
5: Rain in the Grass
6: Invitations
7: Playing Rough
8: Wake-Up Call
9: Sucking Up
10: Let the Grass Grow
11: A Friend in the Making
12: First Day Jitters
13: Have You Seen the New Girl
14: So Far so Good
15: Intervention
16: Clear Skies
17: Upsetting the Enemy
18: Playing the Parents
19: Heads Up
20: Perfect Gentleman
21: Mind Games
22: Jakeson in the Flesh
23: A Ramble Worth Erasing
24: From a Distance
25: Have Some Space
26: Nude Conversations
27: Too Close
28: Table Trading
29: A Day With the Guys
30: Booty Call
31: Fatherly Love
32: Plan B
33: Acceptance
34: Green Little Monsters
35: Rich Kids
36: Dripping Wet
37: Phonecall Frustrations
38: Nothing at All
39: Behind Closed Doors
40: Beyond Control
41: Hospital Beds
42: Up and Down
43: Aftershock
44: Beach Blues
45: Getting Wet
46: The Inner Workings
47: Blastoff
48: Knight and his Trusty...Car
49: Grow on Me
50: Civil or Civil War?
51: Liquid as Bitter as Truth
52: Look Inside
53: Confusion in the Calm
54: Forgotten
55: Boys and Their Rivalries
56: Shakedown
57: Retrieval
58: A Taste of Jealousy
59: Father and Son
60: Grease Lightning
61: Relationship Talk
62: The Little Things
63: Past Regrets
65: A Slumber Part of Sorts
66: Kisses; Some Sweet Some Sour
67: A Good Time
68: Terrible in the Terrific
69: Stand Off
70: Awkward Moments Never Cease
71: Knowing the Truth
72: Wanting More
73: Forbidden Fruit
74: Admittance
75: Breaking the News
76: Everything to Lose

64: Back to the Basics

121K 1.3K 66
By JadedRein

The alarm clock going off woke me with a start and I bolted upright and smacked it off. Uhg I fell asleep in my clothes. I realized as I stretched and slowly let my senses come back to me.

The sight of Kale fast asleep beside me in his boxers made me jump from the bed.  I can’t believe I fell asleep! I looked down at him for a moment.  He actually was nice to me.

My mind wandered as I got into the shower. I finished, dried my hair, and got dressed in my school things.  By the time I left the bathroom Kale was no longer in my room.

I bounded down the stairs and out the front door. Please don’t be late. I thought nervously not wanting to see Kale. I didn’t know how to act around him after last night. He actually acted like he cared. Was it just an act?

My mind spun but the more than welcomed sight of Jakeson’s car pulling up to the house made me grin.

I sang along with his music as I opened the car door and smiled at him.

“Someone is in a good mood.” Jakeson laughed.

I shrugged. “It’s good music.”

“You left your mp3 player plugged into my system.” He motioned towards the console.

“I know. I figured you’d need a good music makeover.” I winked and unhooked it and put it into my pocket.

I looked over my shoulder as we pulled down the driveway in time to see Kale coming out in his school uniform a glare on his face.

It wasn’t until lunch that I saw Kale again.  He was standing in line a bit behind Jakeson and I as we got our trays. That’s weird. He usually beats us to line.

“Eating at the normal table again today?” Jakeson asked as I paid for him with a michevious smile. “I’ll get you back.” He laughed as he took our trays.

I nodded. “Yeah sounds good.”

We sat next to each other at the table and Spencer smiled from across the table. “Nice to see you chose to sit with us.”

I laughed. “I felt like being abused today.” I winked.

Brendon swooped in and leaned casually against me as he started working on eating his bag of m&m’s.  “Want some?” he offered holding the bag out for me.

I shook my head. “I don’t really like chocolate.”

“A girl who doesn’t like chocolate?” Jakeson asked sounding surprised and I looked over at him and laughed.

“Is that bad?”

“Are you sure you’re a female?” Frankie asked giving me a teasing look.

“Yup.”

“Prove it.” Spencer said waggling his eyebrows.

I looked down at my tray and noticed I needed a fork. A mischievous smile came to my face. “You better hope I am.”

I got up from where I was sitting and Spencer raised an eyebrow. “Why?”

“Because otherwise the fact that you are about to watch my ass as I walk away would make you gay.” I winked and walked off to get the fork.

Behind me I could hear Brendon chuckling as Jakeson hissed “Don’t stare perv.” At Spencer and Frankie.

Boys. They make things too easy. I headed back towards the table and took my seat my heart feeling like it was about to jump from my chest. Kale.

And he wasn’t alone. No he was with some black haired girl. The problem was, they were making out. Ignore it. It doesn’t matter. I ignored it as I took my seat across from them.

“Enjoy the view?” I teased Spencer and he grinned over at me.

“More then you know.”

Jakeson gave him a glare. “Don’t you have a test to study for?”

I pretended to pay attention to their playful fighting but I couldn’t. He could at least take it elsewhere. I thought sourly as I did my best to avoid looking at them. 

“You should spend the night at my house.” Brendon announced out of the blue and I looked over at him.

“Yeah sounds great.” I gave him a huge smile.

Kale must have overheard because I almost laughed when he spoke up. “You can’t.”

I looked over at him. Oh wow he finally surfaced from his kiss. I thought sourly. “Why not?”

“You can’t sleep over at a guys house.”

I laughed. “I stayed at Jakeson’s house before.”

Kale glared over at me. “I said no.”

I shrugged. “I’m sorry daddy but I’m going to go.”

Brendon chuckled. “Relax Kale we’re just going to watch movies.”

“Oooh yay a slumber party.” I said as Brendon and I chuckled together. Sometimes I can’t help but think he’s gay with how well we get along.

“You guys can borrow Horsemen. Great horror movie.” Jakeson offered.

“Why don’t you just come with?” Brendon asked giving him a smile.

Maybe he is gay? “He likes you.” Brendon whispered in my ear quietly. I couldn’t help it as my cheeks flushed.

“Room for one more?” Spencer asked.

Brendon nodded. “The more the merrier.” 

“In that case I’ll come too.” Frankie shrugged. “Might as well make the best of a Friday night.”

“Horror  movie fest it is then.” Brendon grinned at me.

“But we don’t want to scare Rein.” Frankie said giving me an amused laugh.

I rolled my eyes. “Yeah I’m sure I’ll be fine.”

“I’ll come too then.” Kale said in a bored tone.

I didn’t bother to look up. “Sounds like a nice fun sausage fest.” Sarah said in a bored tone. I wonder how she feels watching Kale with other girls? I mean I know they aren’t dating but still it would hurt. It hurts me and I’m just his friend.

Step sister. I reminded myself. “Rein will be there so we avoid the sausage fest title.” Brendon pitched in. 

Long Way to Happy - Pink

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44 34 34
Sometimes the one you love, is just a temporary part of your life *********** New college student, 18 year old Hallie Cook was looking forward to the...
3.6K 85 13
You are a teenager from New York. Life is great. Your family is very wealthy. You have many friends. You are known as a very happy, bright and good g...
789K 1K 5
Finding relationships is easy... keeping them is the real game. Ellie Harrison is a shy, introverted senior at Santa Cruz High School. Her brother Ja...
19K 159 29
Alyssa goes on vaction with her best friends (including her boyfriend) to the place that she call her paradise on earth. Her grandparents used to liv...