Through the Years (Dramione G...

By kim_camaro

Hermes Granger fervently believed that Malfoy's sole purpose in life was to make his life a living hell. Dram... More

preface
the cast
Chapter One: First Year
Chapter Two: Second Year
Chapter Three: Third Year
Chapter Four: Fourth Year
Chapter Five: Fifth Year
Chapter Six: Sixth Year
Chapter Seven: Seventh Year/Horcrux Hunt
Chapter Eight: Eighth Year - Part I
Chapter Nine: Eighth Year - Part II
Chapter Eleven: Eighth Year - Part IV

Chapter Ten: Eighth Year - Part III

1K 34 5
By kim_camaro

__________

Like a force to be reckoned with
A mighty ocean or a gentle kiss
I will love you with every single thing I have

- Two by Sleeping at Last

__________

Iris Malfoy was avoiding him and it was starting to drive him insane already.

Hermes feared he might have freaked her out during the Yule Ball. Perhaps, he had been a bit too forward... too eager. His lips hadn't been pressed against hers for very long when she immediately jerked away and bounded back to the castle without a single glance back. He, on the other hand, stupidly stared at her retreating back with horror and guilt, silently berating himself for losing control.

But was radiant that night and beautiful and how could he stop himself when she was looking at him like that? Ashamed, he knew he'd always wanted to do that ever since sixth year, when Malfoy started pulling him into hidden alcoves and empty classrooms just to wrap her arms around his torso. There were moments when he had to stop himself from tilting down and brushing his lips against hers because Merlin, dear Merlin, Malfoy was so close and her scent was dizzying and she was soft against his arms and Hermes had never felt this way before.

He couldn't fault her every time she scuttled away when he was within sight. Hermes tried to apologize one too many times but Iris would go away even before he had the chance.

Christmas holidays was a blessed distraction because Malfoy went home while he spent the remaining break with the Weasleys. They'd invited him over because his house was still devoid of his parents and it would be painful to spend the break alone. The Weasleys were a nice distraction, and once Harry came over to spend the remaining days of December, thoughts of Iris Malfoy's lips and eyes momentarily left him alone.

By the time he was seated in Hogwarts Express, Hermes felt wildly nervous in seeing her. He was relieved she didn't sit with him in the Heads' Compartment; he'd been trying to come up with a decent conversation starter if she ever did show up until they finally reached Hogwarts.

When he came inside their shared common room, the Slytherin hilariously jumped in fright and hastily gathered her things. She was already clambering towards her room when Hermes released a tired sigh.

"Malfoy," he called out. Thankfully, she stopped fleeing but hadn't turned around to look at him.

Hermes carefully walked closer. "I..."

He paused and bit his bottom lip. What was he going to say? That he'd never stopped thinking about her lips even though they were miles apart? That he'd really liked her, honest-to-Merlin like like her because she was beautiful and brilliant and fiery? That he'd like to get to know her better, hold her hand when they're together, kiss her freely without holding back?

Her shoulders were tensed when he finally stopped a few feet away from her.

With a sinking heart, he knew what he should say instead. "If puts your mind at ease," he started, "you can forget everything that happened during the Yule Ball, Malfoy."

He frowned, knowing it was for the best, if they were going to continue working as Heads. Although their biggest project had finally ended, they still had to continue working together until the end of the school-year.

She hadn't moved for a few more minutes and Hermes was starting to lose confidence. He faltered in his steps and expelled a soft sigh. If she wanted to continue avoiding him, then so be it. He'd just work extra harder in the following days until she would feel comfortable around him once more.

Hermes' eyes quickly darted back at her when all of her things noisily slid down from her hands. Malfoy had whipped around as fast as lightning, her grey eyes ablazed with startling emotions, and before he knew it, she was barreling towards him. She threw her arms around him and he easily caught her, his arms also automatically sliding around her waist.

And then... and then she was kissing him and his brain effectively shut down.

She was kissing him with so much urgency and desperation and Hermes couldn't properly breathe. She was kissing him like her life depended on it... like she had wanted to do this for a very long time too.

He released a strangled laugh, pulling her closer to him because he needed to feel her more, and Iris practically melted against his arms.

She tasted like vanilla and toffee, of summers and tears and promises, and his nose filled with her wonderful scent. Her hands were buried in his hair, gently tugging him lower so that she could properly meet his lips with equal fervor.

But, the Slytherin slowly pulled away and to his horror, he emitted a disappointed groan at the back of his throat. Hermes blearily blinked numerous times, trying to dispel the sudden haze that settled in his brain. Iris was staring back at him with wide, startled eyes; her cheeks painted red. Her lips were slightly parted, a little swollen due to his breathtaking kiss.

Thankfully, she hadn't run away.

"That was – I mean – " Words seemed to leave him completely, unable to form a coherent thought after that amazing kiss.

And then, her eyes melted into warmth that sent pleasant tingles down his spine. She was laughing, freely laughing, and Hermes admittedly stared a little too long because he hadn't seen her so openly happy and relaxed before.

"Bloody hell," was all she managed to say.

"You're not mad?" he tentatively asked, afraid that she'd snap out from her strange behavior and start avoiding him all together.

"I-I'm not," she stuttered, her cheeks turning redder. She shifted her gaze away from him and started to shyly bite her bottom lip. Hermes nervously swallowed, suddenly having an irrational urge of freeing her bottom lip with his own lips.

"I've wanted to kiss you for a very, very long time," he confessed, blushing himself. Iris' eyes looked back at him in surprise, clearly not expecting his confession. He hesitantly placed a hand against her cheek. The Slytherin jolted in surprise but thankfully didn't pull away. "You have... you have no idea." He leant closer and brushed a kiss against her forehead.

She gave him a smile he had never seen her wear before, a smile that lit up all the features on her face and made his heart almost leap out from his chest.

Concluding that Iris Malfoy wasn't entirely mad at all, he dipped his head once more to capture her lips into another breathtaking kiss.

__________

Simply put, they were inseparable.

Hermes spent most of his time in the Common Room, already setting up a makeshift study table near the fireplace for him to accomplish all his homeworks. Iris, on the other hand, studied anywhere she deemed comfortable. Most of the time, she would lounge on one of the overstuffed couches until she fell asleep.

The Gryffindor incessantly pestered her to study with him in the library; he was actually missing that place, what with the quiet and towering bookshelves. Now, because of their new... relationship, well, Hermes had to borrow all the books he needed for an essay just so they could study together in the Common Room.

She would only look at him with a glare. "I'd rather you don't Grangerify me, Granger," she seriously pointed out one time, refusing to step foot in a library just to study.

"You've been to the library numerous times before," he whined, itching to breathe in the smell of old books and parchments.

Iris gave him a small secret smirk, coyly grabbing onto his book and tossing it away. "And what do you think is the reason for that?" she slyly asked. She never really gave him any chance to think about it as he was too busy pulling her close and angling her head to kiss her deeply.

It was... a nice change, to be unbelievably attached to another person. Hermes was so used to following Harry and Ron around wherever they went, with moments of alone time just so he could catch up with something he loved to do – studying. But with her... it was like, he wanted to make up for the lost time they had. He wanted to make up for the time they almost always constantly bickered, oblivious to the fact that they were, in fact, very much attracted to each other.

Merlin, he still couldn't wrap his head around the idea of spending his every day with Iris Malfoy. He could already imagine a twelve-year-old Hermes Granger looking at him as if he'd gone barmy.

It didn't take too long for him to confess that he really liked her, after all these years. They were in the middle of a furious snog, and Iris was sitting on his lap, her hands buried as usual in his bushy hair. When he broke away just to gulp a few much needed air, he'd seen her face. Her grey eyes were bright, her cheeks pink, and she was wearing that very same smile that made his heart leap into his throat.

"I like you," he confessed without hesitation.

Her eyes widened in disbelief and she pulled away from him. Hermes blushed, realizing that she was practically on his lap and he had practically confessed his feelings.

"Only if you stopped being mean and hurtling insults like there's no tomorrow, that is," he hastily added, just to lighten the suddenly tensed atmosphere.

Her eyebrows flew up to her hairline. Iris leaned closer and playfully smacked the back of his neck.

"Blimey, Iris, I was joking," he murmured, rubbing his smarting neck. She blushed at how he addressed her, but Hermes couldn't really call her 'Malfoy', now that they'd been snogging senselessly, could he? Her first name rolled out from his mouth with ease, having called her as such in his mind for a very long time already. 'Malfoy' was a bully, mean-spirited child and 'Iris'... 'Iris' was beautiful and amazing and wonderful and... and...

Hermes sighed in defeat. Good Godric, who knew Malfoy could actually reduce him into a blubbering fool? Hermes Granger always prided himself because he was rational and intelligent. Feelings were such messy things, one he'd never really anticipated at all.

"Shut up, Granger," she grumbled, hooking both of her arms around his neck once more. She never really got used to calling him 'Hermes', explaining that old habits die hard, but Hermes sometimes fancied himself into thinking his name sounded like a term of endearment when it came from her lips.

He sheepishly looked back at her and wondered if he'd freaked her out once more. He was bloody well new with this feelings and relationships; Harry and Ron were admittedly more knowledgeable in this part and he would very much want to ask questions about these things. He had tried to research his beloved books last sixth year when he found out he was attracted to Iris Malfoy of all people, but they never made sense. It didn't sit well with him – a person who thrived in finding the answers to all the complex questions in this universe.

Iris shifted closer, her body still pressed against him, and Hermes tried really, really hard not to think about how tantalizing she felt in his arms. His body was completely reacting to her proximity and he bloody well knew she could feel it, if not for that sneaky smirk on her face. She still hadn't slid off from his lap and took it as a good sign.

He reached forward and brushed her hair away. "I like you," he dared to repeat once more. He placed a hand against her cheek and darted a glance at her lips. "I really like you."

He didn't wait for her reply as he captured her lips for another proper kiss.

__________

Hermes rubbed a hand over his tired face.

He had been rereading his Transfiguration essay for hours and yet, he wasn't satisfied. He frowned at his Transfiguration textbook. He tried to search for anything he could add to his homework in his textbook, but it proved to be futile.

Sighing, he knew he needed to go to the library to search for other sources. "I need to go to the library," he murmured towards the blonde, sprawled languidly on the overstuffed couch with her head on top of his lap.

"Hmm?" she asked, seemingly distracted.

Hermes frowned at her abandoned Transfiguration essay, spying that she still hadn't written at least a foot. Granted, this essay wasn't due until two weeks from now, but Hermes insisted that they should finish it tonight. Iris would normally roll her eyes at his general swottiness and insist that there were far better things to do than study, but to his surprise, she merely sighed and relented.

Now that he wasn't busy with his essay, he was able to note that the blonde Slytherin looked distracted.

"Is something wrong?" he asked, reaching forward to fondly brush her silky hair away from her face.

She stared up at him with troubled, grey eyes. "Nothing's wrong," she quickly replied. "Go finish your essay, Granger."

"I have to go to the library to finish it," he repeated. "Didn't you hear me the first time?"

Iris frowned and sat back up. "Fine," she said, waving her hand dismissively. "I'll come with you."

Hermes' eyes widened. "Now, something's definitely wrong because you're just agreeing to everything that I'm saying," he accused. She scowled and tried to protest, but he already caught her hand and frowned. "Come on, tell me what's bothering you. Maybe I can help?"

She grumbled to herself before slumping. "You can't help," she pointed out. Hermes continued to pointedly look at her until she finally relented. Her cheeks reddened a little and she shifted her gaze away from his worried browns. "It's... tonight's the try-outs for the Slytherin Quidditch team."

"And?" he urged, prompting her to elaborate.

"And Astoria Greengrass is going to tryout for Seeker!" she floundered, her eyes blazing with pure indignation.

"O-kay," he slowly said. He'd never really interacted with the younger Greengrass before. He knew her older sister, of course, and she acted like Pansy Parkinson in all ways. He remembered seeing her sashaying the corridors of Hogwarts before and that's about it.

"The Slytherin Quidditch team is fucked if they let Greengrass play as Seeker," she continued. "That witch can't even catch a snitch if she tried to! Too busy maintaining her manicured nails impeccable and fixing her hair midair." She clenched her hands into tight fists and glared at Hermes. "I heard she was unopposed this time and blimey, the Slytherin Quidditch team will be surely doomed."

"Doomed?" Hermes echoed, a humored shine in his eyes.

"Doomed," she reiterated with a serious nod.

The corners of his lips twitched as he returned to his Transfiguration textbook. "Well, maybe someone has to step in to stop Astoria Greengrass from becoming a Seeker," he offered nonchalantly. At the corner of his eyes, he saw Iris' frown.

"I guess." She distractedly wound her arms around his torso and snuggled against his neck. His body reacted with her close proximity and he really wanted to kiss her right now, but he knew Iris' mind was miles away.

"So... library?" he offered after a minute.

The Slytherin was silent, before she slowly extracted herself away from his embrace. "Change of plans," she muttered quickly. "I have... somewhere else to go to."

Before he could ask her to elaborate, Iris was already running towards her room. Hermes chuckled under his breath and went back to his essay.

"Don't wait for me," she called out, her head sticking out from her room. "I'm going to visit Blaise and Theo in the Slytherin dungeons."

Hermes made it a point to look the other way when she practically zoomed out of their dormitory, her precious Nimbus 2001 slung across her shoulders.

Once she was gone, Hermes gathered his things and strode towards the library, silently wishing the blonde good luck.

When he came back later that night, fully satisfied with his accomplished Transfiguration essay, he was surprised to see that Iris was sitting primly on one of the overstuffed couches. She was still clad in her Slytherin Quidditch robes, her beloved broomstick leaning against the coffee table.

Her cheeks were still flushed from flying, her immaculate hair a little disheveled. Hermes took a deep breath, heart stuttering at the sight of her illuminated figure. Her eyes were alit and her lips stretched widely into a huge smile.

Merlin, she looked beautiful.

"So, I take it your visit with Nott and Zabini had been fruitful?" he teased.

Her cheeks reddened in embarrassment but her smile did not fall. "Granger," she gushed. Hermes grinned and clutched onto her outstretched hands. "I got in! I'm the new Slytherin Seeker!"

He was relieved. Although his research in the library had proven to be successful, he was still quite distracted, knowing that Iris was trying out for the Slytherin Quidditch team. He remembered her words last time he suggested she try out for the sport she clearly loved. 'I don't deserve it,' she simply pointed out in dismissal. It made his heart swell a tiny bit, knowing that Iris was one step closer to accepting her second chance.

"I didn't doubt you would," he confessed.

A sly smirk appeared on the blonde's face. "You should have seen Astoria Greengrass' face when she found out I was vying for the same position," she recounted.

Hermes smiled and silently strode closer. Iris immediately stood up and easily slid her arms around his torso. "You have to watch my games, Granger," she demanded.

"I hate Quidditch," he quipped, placing his chin on top of her head. She smelled of rain and spring and it made his heart flutter.

"I hate studying," she countered, tilting her head to give him a withering glare. "But I accompany you every time you suggest we start our homework. So, payback."

He quirked an amused eyebrow. "You don't hate studying," he retorted. He remembered her eager scribbles on her parchment, the excited glint in her eyes every time she discovered a new information, and her odd habit of chewing on the end of her quill when she came across a particularly difficult passage. He liked watching her study sometimes, and he never realized that Iris Malfoy actually enjoyed studying. He used to think she was just naturally gifted in terms of knowledge, perhaps being tutored by numerous teachers back when she was younger, which was why she was constantly second in their class. It annoyed him sometimes how he had to study extra harder, spend more times in the library, reread passages hither thither and never saw her study at least once in the library.

Now, he found out that she'd rather not show to people that she was, simply put, just as swotty as he was.

"The first game's against Ravenclaw," she insisted and started rambling about the other team's strengths and weaknesses and how she would loudly crush them all for even doubting her Seeker skills.

He hated Quidditch, truly, but maybe he didn't hate it that much when it was her who was talking about it.

__________

Iris woke up with a jolt.

Terror briefly ceased her whole as she clutched her wand and scrambled out of her bed.

"Lumos," she murmured, nervously scanning her whole room to locate the source of the sound. She was sure she heard a 'crash' somewhere. Months of living with Voldemort under the same roof made her fidgety even with the slightest of sounds. She'd long learned that she shouldn't easily dismiss things that deemed safe at first.

Swallowing down her trepidation, she willed her racing heart to slow its pace. After another quick sweep, she made sure that there was nothing amiss in her bedroom, before finally accepting that the 'crash' she heard might be from a dream.

The blonde slid back onto her bed but still held tightly onto her wand. She strained her ears for any strange noises, this time pinpointing soft 'thuds'. Her eyes widened as she stared at the wall that divided her bedroom with Hermes.

'Granger,' she thought, immediately shooting out from her bed and running out of her room. She threw a brief once over at their common room just to make sure there weren't any intruders before barging into the Gryffindor's room.

His room was drenched in darkness but she could make out his silhouette. He was madly thrashing about, soft whimpers escaping from his lips. She couldn't make out the words coming out from his mouth but she knew he was having a nightmare.

"Granger," she called out, hastily walking towards his bed. She illuminated his room with a swish of her wand. She peered at his form and paled, noting the beads of sweat on his forehead and the unmistakable terror on his face. His blanket was tangled with his writhing body and more whimpers escaped from his mouth.

"Granger," she rasped out once more, leaning down to place a hand on his shoulder. "Wake up."

"No... no please, I don't know," he begged.

"Hermes," she tried again.

This time, his eyes flew open. He shot up from his bed, his wand instantly on his hand, as he fearfully scanned his room.

"It's all right," she soothingly called. "It's just me."

Once his eyes settled on her, the fear in his eyes melted into a combination of relief and embarrassment. "Iris?" he whispered.

"Yes," she replied with a relieved sigh. "You were having a nightmare."

Her eyes shifted on the shattered glass of water beside his bed. Hermes followed her line of vision and blushed. "I'm sorry I woke you up," he said, shakily running a hand through his damp curls. He whispered a soft 'Reparo' at the mess he had made.

Silence settled between the two of them. The Gryffindor tried to calm his breathing while Iris hid her shaking right hand. He was wearing a thin white shirt; his forearm was uncovered and under the dim light of his bedroom, she was able to perfectly see his 'Mudblood' scar.

Sensing her gaze, Hermes immediately covered his scar. "Go back to sleep, Iris," he softly said with a small smile.

She swallowed down her emotions as her eyes landed on her own Dark Mark. It was grey and almost fading nowadays, but it was still there and Iris would do everything just to get rid of it.

"What... what did you dream about?" she asked.

He was silent for a beat, prompting her gaze to shift back to him. Hermes' gaze was transfixed on his uncovered scar once more. Even if he didn't voice it out, Iris somehow knew what his nightmare was tonight.

Her right hand shook violently and she tried, she really tired, to stop its shaking. Visions of his torture, of Bellatrix Lestrange maniacally carving that horrible word on his forearm, of his screams and his eyes and his warmth all swam into vision and Iris found it hard to breathe. He may not know it, but among all the nightmares she was having during the war, his torture always jolted her awake at night with tremendous guilt and suffocating fear.

Oftentimes, in her nightmares, he never woke up from Bellatrix' torture.

To her surprise, he reached forward and held her hand. His hold was tight and secure, waiting until her shaking finally subsided.

"Are you all right?"

She released a low, hollow laugh. "You were the one who had a nightmare, Granger," she shakily pointed out, her grey eyes connecting with his worried ones. "I'm the one who's supposed to be asking that question."

Hermes' expression was indecipherable as he shifted forward until he could rest his forehead against her abdomen. Iris automatically placed her hand on top of his curls, her eyes fluttering close as she breathed in his scent. 'He's alive,' a voice whispered inside her head. 'He's alive and safe. He's alive.'

"Forgive me." Her words were soft, almost breathed out like a silent prayer, and she wondered if he had ever heard her. A lone tear slipped down from her eye as she gazed down at his curls in remorse. She was sorry for all the things she had done to him in the past. She was sorry she didn't accept his help. She was sorry she hadn't done anything when he was tortured. She was sorry... she was sorry that she was selfishly trying to bask under his warmth and kindness when she didn't deserve them at all.

The Gryffindor slowly shifted his head to stare up at her. The corners of his eyes were wrinkled with a kind smile. "It wasn't your fault," he pointed out, but Iris was already shaking her head.

"No, no, not just that, Granger," she confessed. "Everything." Her tear-filled eyes connected with his once more. "Everything."

His eyes glinted in the dark, surprised with her words. She watched as a myriad of emotions passed through his eyes – shades of black and brown until it was gold and bright like a sudden burst of sunlight. His warm gaze persistently pierced through her very soul, like a fire ablaze after a long, cold night with promises of safety and shelter.

Slowly, then he grasped her left forearm and lifted it against his lips. All the while, his brown eyes never broke from hers. Iris tried to pull away, tried to remove that vile tattoo pressed against his lips, knowing that something so evil and wrong shouldn't taint someone as good and right like he was.

But Hermes kept her locked in place. "I forgive you," he whispered against her skin. "For everything."

Her heart swelled with too much emotions and she tried to make sense of it all. When Hermes looked back at her once more with a smile, all she could understand was that he made her feel pure and wanted.

"I love you," he whispered.

Iris' eyes widened and she almost backpedalled in shock, but Hermes kept his hold on her. His eyes were earnest and firm. It was as if he was speaking the truth, and Iris, for the life of her, could not understand how such a radiant boy could love someone like her.

"You shouldn't," she softly replied. "I don't deserve it."

He gazed at her with such warmth and sorrow combined. Instead of words, he pulled her down until she was sitting on his lap, wrapped tightly around his arms, and kissed her until she believed that maybe, just maybe, she deserved to be loved after all.

"I love you," he murmured once more in between kisses, gently tilting her head so that he could kiss her more deeply.

Iris shivered in his embraced, desperately clinging to his thin shirt in return. He whispered the things in his heart as he trailed kisses up to her cheeks, brushing her tears away. He trailed kisses down to her chin and to her neck, leaving burning marks that never seemed to hurt.

"Iris," he whispered, tentatively pulling away from her. Her lower abdomen twitched deliciously at how his eyes almost looked like dark chocolate, pupils blown wide and deep. "I... I think." He paused, his gaze travelling down to her swollen lips. "I think it is best if you leave."

Conflicting emotions of want and love clouded his eyes as he managed to quirk a small smirk. "I am well now," he explained. "I think I have enough thoughts to keep me up tonight."

He gave her a meaningful glance and Merlin, dear Merlin, how could she deny herself this time?

"Maybe tonight," she whispered in reply, already dipping her head to meet his lips halfway. "Maybe tonight you'd like some company?"

His dark eyes widened in surprise, but Iris had already covered his lips with her own.

__________

Iris Malfoy was very, very distracting.

The moment she came inside the Great Hall, Hermes couldn't keep his eyes off her. She was wearing a green sundress that ended just above her knees, clad with black heels which were horrifyingly pointy. Her hair was held away from her face by a silver headband. She looked far too dressed for a casual weekend, but then again, this was Iris Malfoy. She must always look impeccable, no matter the occasion.

Her grey eyes briefly met his, a small smirk on her face, as she slid on the bench beside Theodore Nott, exactly across from Hermes.

He still could not understand why they had to hide their relationship. Neville and the other Gryffindors were already asking why his presence in the Gryffindor Common Room was scarce. Thank Merlin he was Hermes Granger; if he told them he was too busy studying or finishing a homework, they'd accept it without a beat.

Except Ginny.

Ron's little sister always had a knack of noting even the smallest of things. She almost caught them once canoodling in a broom cupboard, but with Hermes' quick thinking and Iris' wand work, Ginny's attention was diverted.

Hermes knew it was only a matter of time before the whole of Hogwarts – the whole of Wizarding World, really – discovered that one-third of the Golden Trio was in fact very much in love with the Malfoy heiress. It would be a moot point hiding it consistently if Hermes could just show them by sitting beside her during classes and during meals.

But Iris was adamant. Something about his golden reputation, she reasoned. Something about their terrible past, she said. And every time he tried to bring up their relationship, she would just scowl and block him off. It was starting to get frustrating.

"Have you heard from Harry and Ron?" Ginny then asked, snapping him off from his reverie.

He glanced at the redhead and nodded. "Yeah," he said with a frown. "I heard Ron triggered a bloody booby trap and got himself sent to St. Mungo's for a day."

"He's an idiot," she said with a laugh.

Hermes rolled his eyes. "I worry for those blokes so much," grumbled, grabbing a piece of toast on one of the platters. "I kept them alive for seven years and now that I'm not constantly with them, they're doing stupid things that can get them killed."

"Harry and Ron will manage," Neville piped in with a humored smile. "Blimey, it's been what? Months now?"

A part of him felt sorrowful that his best friends didn't seem to need him anymore. After all, Hermes Granger's sole purpose in life prior to Voldemort's defeat was to keep his friends safe and alive. Now that the dark lord was vanquished, they wanted to do different things.

Ginny bumped her shoulder against his. She gave him an understanding smile and said, "They really miss you, Hermes. Harry's been lamenting how he cannot get Granger's Hug of Warmth anytime he wanted but he's too embarrassed to tell you in his letters because he knew you'd call him a – "

" – wanker," Hermes said, smiling when Ginny said the same word at the same time.

"Exactly," she said with a laugh. She patted his back comfortingly, then proceeded to talk with the other Gryffindors about Quidditch.

Hermes sighed and quietly munched on his toast. His eyes unwittingly gravitated back to Iris again and watched as she laughed loudly over something Nott said. Her head was tossed back and her eyes were lit with happiness. Hermes' eyes widened, wondering when and how did Iris Malfoy suddenly become so... so carefree.

He glanced at the Slytherin table and saw her conversing with the other Slytherins. He had a brief flashback of the very first few days of their eighth year and remembered how she huddled almost near the Great Hall doors, with only Nott and Zabini to keep her company.

He secretly smiled when she absentmindedly tucked a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear. She was lost in a conversation with Zabini, with Nott constantly butting in. The lanky Slytherin burst out into boisterous laughter and casually slung an arm across Iris' shoulders. He leaned his lips close to her ear and whispered something, prompting her to turn into a brilliant shade of red.

White, hot emotion he now understood was jealously grew in his stomach. He never really thought much about Zabini and Nott, thinking that their friendship with the blonde was the same as his friendship with Harry and Ron. But sometimes, sometimes Nott and Zabini would do something unacceptable and jealousy would cease him whole.

"Blimey, Hermes!" Neville suddenly snapped.

Hermes tore his eyes away and quizzically looked at the Gryffindor in question, only realizing that the toast he was munching on a while ago was now reduced to crumbs.

Ginny was laughing and waved her wand to 'Scourgify' the mess he had made.

"Err... thanks," he said, feeling himself blush.

"Merlin, you were murderous for a moment there," Ginny pointed out with an amused smile. "What's gotten your knickers in a twist?"

"Nothing," he immediately said with a disgruntled frown.

The youngest Weasley casually placed her chin on top of her open palm, her blue eyes never leaving his form. "Are you sure, Hermes?" she deliberately asked.

Hermes sighed and mentally cursed the distracting blonde sitting on the Slytherin table once more for forcing him to hide their relationship. "Nothing," he repeated, shoving his things inside his bag this time. He already lost his appetite and his hand was already itching to start his Herbology homework. "I'm going back to the Heads' dormitory to finish my homework."

"It's Saturday," Ginny protested.

"And?" Hermes asked with a quirked eyebrow.

The redhead merely sighed and waved him away. Hermes rolled his eyes and slung the strap of his bag across his shoulders.

He walked out of the Great Hall in haste; he was already planning his Saturday mentally, wanting to distract himself with schoolworks than a certain mesmerizing Slytherin blonde. Unbeknownst to him, silver eyes followed him out.

Hermes slinked inside the Heads' dormitory after muttering the password to the unicorn, and immediately plopped down on his makeshift study table beside the fireplace. He pulled out his Herbology textbooks and some other reference books and started to read.

Perhaps it was almost an hour when the portrait hole opened. Hermes poked his eyes above his book, distractedly watching as Iris sashayed towards him, a small smirk on her face. His eyes shifted at the creamy expanse of her legs and tried to swallow down the sudden lustful thoughts that creeped into his mind.

He sighed and buried his nose behind his Herbology textbook once more.

Bloody distracting.

"Blimey, Granger, it's Saturday!" she claimed in exasperation. Iris slid down on the couch beside him and scooted closer.

"I have to finish my homework first," he dully claimed and shifted slightly away from her. His body was already reacting to her close proximity, unwittingly reminiscing specific, delightful activities they had engaged in last night on this particular couch. Behind his textbook, he scowled. 'Bloody Merlin, this is harder than I thought,' he whined.

"What's wrong with you?" she asked, poking a finger at his shoulder.

He frowned and glanced at her briefly. Iris was lightly glaring at him, her mouth also magnetized into a small frown. "Nothing," he clipped. "Perhaps you should go back to the Slytherin dormitories and bother Nott."

He might have spat his name venomously and he wasn't sure if Iris noticed.

To his disgruntlement, the blonde beside him snorted.

"Sweet Salazar, Granger, don't tell me you're jealous," she accused, a hint of amusement in the tone of her voice. "Of Theo, of all people."

He reddened at her words and glared darkly at the texts, refusing to look at her.

Iris expelled a soft, disbelieving laugh when he did not reply.

Irritated by her nonchalance, he glared down at her. Her eyes were twinkling with mirth and her lips were now stretched into a wide grin. "Green doesn't suit you, Granger, just so you know," she claimed.

"He's practically throwing himself all over you, Iris," he pointed out matter-of-factly, ignoring her prior comment. "I'm not entirely sure if his motives are bloody innocent."

She laughed once more and he firmly hid behind his book. Ugly jealousy surged through his veins once more and blimey, he didn't want to feel this way anymore.

"Granger, just please stop reading and look at me," she claimed.

When he still refused to remove the book from his face, Iris gripped the book with both of her hands and successfully pulled it away. He still refused to look at her, knowing that his cheeks were too red.

"Theo's betrothed with Daphne Greengrass," she then explained. Confusion now appeared in his averted eyes. "Always has been. And he may look like a womanizing bastard, but he's a real gentleman. He is actually fond of Greengrass even though I loudly disapprove of that airy bint. He said she was actually the only one who treated him like he was worthy to be loved. How could he not love someone like her in return?"

Her voice had softened by then and Hermes found his eyes shifting back at her. A small smile grew on her lips when she met his eyes. "And in case you are wondering, Blaise isn't vying for my affection either, you git," she continued. Hermes' cheeks reddened once more. "Well, we did try back in fifth year, but it almost felt incestuous." She lightly shivered as her eyes glazed over, perhaps reminiscing her relationship with the Italian before. "He treats me like a younger sister."

A small smirk graced her lips as she leaned closer to him. "So, besides you, Granger, I am not fucking anybody," she nonchalantly said.

He was both scandalized and aroused with her use of words. She quirked an eyebrow at his reaction.

"Any more questions?" she slyly asked.

"Well, yes," he sputtered out, nervously rubbing his neck. When she merely looked at him in question, he sighed and continued, "You're not promised to another, are you?"

Iris snorted once more. "My father tried so hard to arrange a strategic marriage for me," she replied. "As the Malfoy heiress, one of my sole duties is to marry a rich Pureblood and bear an heir. For Pureblood women like me, marriage is, and will always be, an economic proposition."

He frowned. "That's so... so..."

"Outdated?" she offered. "Well, welcome to a Pureblood's life, Granger." Her eyes turned steely as she shifted her body so that she could fully face him. "But, to answer your question, I'm not betrothed. My father tried to marry me off after the war, said I needed to be taken care of as his only wish before he gets imprisoned in Azkaban for a lifetime, but my mother..." She trailed off, a small, fond smile blooming on her face. "My mother thinks the decision of choosing whom I will spend the rest of my days with should rest on me."

Brown met grey as Hermes felt his heart lodging in his throat. Her eyes were bright and glinting as she reached out to place a hand against his cheek. "Are you done quizzing me about my love life, Granger?" she huskily asked, the corner of her lips tugging once more for a small smirk. "Because, I really want to kiss you right now."

For his answer, his lips crashed against hers for a breathtaking kiss.

She chuckled against his lips and wound her arms around his neck. Hermes pulled her closer until she was sitting on his lap. Her dress was impossibly short, now hitching up to her thighs with her position. Iris softly mewled when he nipped a sensitive spot on her bottom lip.

His hand climbed on her thigh and caressed her soft skin. Gooseflesh erupted on her skin as her kisses turned hungrier. Hermes' pants tightened at her response, wanting to feel more of her skin against his hand. He started trailing kisses down her neck, hastily removing one strap of her dress to cover every inch of her exposed skin.

"Hermes," she breathed and his hold on her tightened. "Please."

He briefly pulled away to stare back at her face. Her pupils were dilated with want and affection and he reached forward to brush her hair away from her face. "You're so beautiful," he murmured, leaning forward to capture her lips for another kiss.

He shifted them both until she was lying on her back with him on top of her. He braced his arms against her head and leaned down once more, his kisses now mingled with urgency and such ferociousness. Iris perfectly matched his fervor, one of her hand already sneaking underneath his shirt to leave burning trails at its wake.

"WHAT THE FUCK?!"

Hermes gasped in surprise and toppled off Iris. He landed painfully on the carpeted floor and managed to bump his head against the coffee table. He swore under his breath and groaned, lifting his head slowly to glare at the sudden intruders.

With widened eyes, he managed to see Nott and Zabini, who were both equally stunned in silence.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Iris shot out. Hermes' darted his eyes at her and watched as she smoothed her dress down and fixed her hair. Her eyes spit fire but her cheeks were still flushed from their excursion and her embarrassment.

"What the hell were you doing?" Zabini snapped out, prompting Hermes' eyes to land back at him.

The Italian's face slowly clouded in fury as Hermes slowly stood up from the floor. Iris assured him that Zabini only had platonic feelings for her, but Hermes wasn't quite sure about that now.

Panic rose in his stomach. He darted another glance at the blonde, who was now sitting on the couch, and noted that she was more annoyed than panicked. She crossed her arms against her chest, her action perking up her breasts a little, prompting his mouth to run dry.

'Not the time, Granger,' he said, forcing to shift his gaze away from the other Slytherins in the common room. He briefly wondered how the hell they knew about their password, but then realized that Iris might have told them in passing.

Hermes suddenly felt outnumbered, wishing at this moment that at least Harry and Ron were with him.

"We thought it was mighty suspicious how you quickly excused yourself from breakfast just to return to your common room," Theo said with a quirked eyebrow. "After I told you how Granger somehow couldn't keep his eyes off you, you immediately scrambled away."

Hermes' blushed in embarrassment, now understanding what Nott whispered to Iris that made her blush so brilliantly a while ago.

Then, Zabini furiously turned towards his lanky companion and snarled a loud "Fuck you, Nott!" Curiously, a huge grin broke out from Nott's face as he showed his upturned palm at the other Slytherin. He gestured a brief 'gimme', which elicited a loud groan from his companion. Zabini gruffly pulled out a heavy coin pouch from his pocket and deposited it on Nott's awaiting hand.

Beside him, Iris released a deep sigh. "I knew you were betting behind my back, idiots," she said, shaking her head as the corner of her lips twitched in amusement.

Only Hermes seemed aghast with the turn of events.

"Hey, you've been ditching us for days, princess, claiming that you have to study," Theo pointed out with a gleeful glint in his eyes. He shook the bag and grinned once more with the sound it made. Merlin, Hermes guessed the amount was bigger than his pocket money for the whole school year. "We've always known you were a closeted swot so we didn't really think much about it. It wasn't suspicious too when you always reasoned out you're going to study here because you've always been allergic to the library."

Theo then shifted his gaze on Hermes and smirked. "But," he started, "when Golden Boy here stopped studying in the library... now, that's bloody suspicious." His smirk turned into a grin when he looked back at Iris. "So, I've placed two and two together and concluded that you're probably fucking each other."

Hermes turned into a brilliant shade of red.

"So, tell me, princess," Theo drawled with a wicked grin. "How does it feel to finally be beneath a Muggle-born?"

"Shut up, Theo!" Iris exclaimed while Hermes' jaw dropped in abject horror at his insinuation. It even left his notice how the lanky Slytherin chose not to call him a 'mudblood'.

Hermes couldn't look at Iris due to his humongous embarrassment and opted to stare at the silently fuming Italian. To his surprise, Blaise was darkly glaring at him.

"I honestly thought you were studying here, Granger," Zabini snarled. "I'm bloody disappointed. I lost galleons because of you!" He scowled when Theo started to snicker. "I didn't take you as someone who'd easily be swayed by Malfoy's looks."

The Gryffindor, still too speechless to retort something in return, merely frowned at his accusation. His eyes hesitantly settled on Iris, who now wore a proud smirk on her face. "Even bookworms can't resist me," she lightly said, prompting Zabini to roll his eyes.

"Why aren't you – " Hermes' eyes widened, suddenly finding himself unable to properly breathe. "Were you also in this... this bet?"

The smirk on her face fell as sheer panic painted her pretty face. Iris immediately swivel her head around and before she could try to reply, Zabini already beat her to it.

"Calm the fuck down, Granger," the he drawled. "Whatever is happening behind closed doors between you two is genuine."

Breathing soon returned to him, his eyes still questioningly looking at the blonde that captivated his heart. Her eyes softened as she gave a small nod, confirming Blaise's words.

"Okay," he said with a shaky smile. She met his smile with an equally fond one.

"Merlin Almighty, this is bloody sickening," Theo whined, trudging closer to Hermes. The Gryffindor stiffened under his scrutinizing gaze. Theo circled around and looked at him from head to toe. He glanced at Iris, but she merely shrugged, amusement in her eyes.

Then, to his utter surprise, the lanky Slytherin wrapped his arms around Hermes' torso and snuggled against his neck. Theo released a humongous gasp and quickly tore away from him to glance over Blaise. "Bloody hell, mate, Granger's Hug of Warmth wasn't a myth at all!" he exclaimed. Then, to Hermes, he demanded, "Wrap your arms around me, idiot!"

"Theo..." Iris snarled, but the lanky Slytherin yanked Hermes' arms until they were wrapped loosely around him.

"Heaven help me, I think I'm going to melt," Theo declared with a soft, contented sigh.

Blaise quickly strode forward and yanked a protesting Theo away, just to replace him and wrap his arms around Hermes. The Italian stilled for a moment before glancing at Hermes like he had never seen him before. "Bloody hell," was all he managed to say.

"You gits, back off!" Iris snapped, pulling Blaise away. Theo was laughing loudly at Hermes' expense, whose cheeks had now turned into a brilliant shade of red.

"All right, all right," Blaise said with a small smile, raising his hands and took a few steps back.

Before he could compose himself, Iris wrapped her arms around him, turned towards her friends and declared with a little glare on her face, "Mine."

Hermes' eyes widened as Blaise rolled his eyes and Theo snorted.

"Of course, the princess always gets what she wants," Theo said with a laugh, shaking his head lightly.

The Gryffindor blinked and stared down at Iris' head. She was throwing snarky remarks at her friends that made Theo boisterously laugh and Blaise smirk. Her eyes were bright with amusement and happiness and he, the sap he was, thought she had never looked beautiful.

His arms snaked around her waist and pulled her close, placing his chin on top of her head like how he always did.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33K 1.2K 25
It's been one year since Hermione had lost Ron. She's growing tired of friends and family treating her as if she could break at any second. All she w...
149K 3.9K 20
(Y/n) (Y/l/n). A 5th year Hogwarts student. 16 years old. A Gryffindor and a muggle-born. Very kind, very nice, and very very lonely. Severus Snape...
9.8K 482 9
After graduating from Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft And Wizardry Hermione Granger and her parents decided that it's better if she studied in a Muggle...
4.5K 213 22
"You know what Malfoy! I thought you were better than this! Following me and insulting me in front of your friends!? Now I think everyone is right ab...