Chapter Eleven: Eighth Year - Part IV

I just want to love you, to love you, to love you well
I just want to learn how, somehow, to be loved myself

- Two by Sleeping at Last

__________

"You're not thinking this through, Granger."

Hermes expelled an exasperated sigh and lightly glared at the blonde. "I'm going to do this and you're not going to stop me," he pointed out. He was nervous beyond belief for today and this infuriating Slytherin wasn't helping at all. He thought he'd already made himself clear last night that he was going to push through with his agenda today and no amount of distractions from his girlfriend, albeit delightful they may be, would hinder him from doing so.

He glanced at the flickering torches illuminating the deserted corridor in Hogwarts. It was Hogsmeade day today and as much as he'd like to bring her out and spend time with her outside the confines of their lovely common room, Iris once again loudly reminded him that their relationship was a secret. Hence, Hermes knew he should take this opportunity to finally do the only thing he'd been itching to do ever since he fell in love with the blonde.

Iris rolled her eyes and crossed her arms against her chest. "I told you I don't want other people knowing about our... relationship," she murmured, averting her eyes away from his honey-colored eyes.

"But this is Harry and Ron," he protested. "They're my best friends and I think it's finally time for them to know that you've inadvertently managed to capture my heart, you exasperating witch."

"They're wankers," she muttered, her cheeks reddening at his words.

"I know," he said with a laugh. "I've been best friends with them for eight bloody years. Besides, Zabini and Nott already know. At least let me tell my best friends, too."

Iris shot him an annoyed look. "They're going to go ballistic," she snarled. "Don't say I didn't warn you."

"Yeah, well, I'm already immune with their stupid moods," he said with a nervous smile. "I think I'm going to manage."

The Slytherin worried her bottom lip in annoyance, managing to drag his eyes briefly at her painted lips. Merlin, she looked lovely today. Her hair was held in a high ponytail. Clad with a cashmere, emerald sweater which he was sure costed a fortune and a black, short skirt, Hermes sometimes wondered how someone like her would be attracted to him.

"Don't you dare follow me," he warned after shaking off the sudden haze from his mind. Iris tried to interject, but he continued, "I mean it, Iris. For this to go on smoothly, I have to do this alone."

"Fine," she snapped with a hard glare. "I'll be spending this day with Blaise and Zabini, constantly thinking that my boyfriend is an idiot."

Hermes smiled at how she addressed him and briefly pulled her close. He dropped three kisses on a particularly sensitive spot on her neck he knew made her a tad wobbly, before finally pulling away. Iris' cheeks were a deep shade of red but there was still a frown on her face. Hermes grinned and bestowed a brief kiss on her lips.

"Don't worry too much, Iris," he whispered.

"Who said I'm worried?" she snapped back, the snark in her tone noticeably absent due to his previous kisses.

He chuckled under his breath and allowed himself to steal another kiss from the exasperating witch before finally striding out of Hogwarts.

Hogsmeade was swarming with excited students and for a moment, Hermes stilled. He remembered its sad state during the height of the Wizarding War and it was refreshing to see the village bursting with life. He greeted those he'd recognized and quickly scanned the whole crowd to see a familiar platinum blonde hair.